closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SKX009 vs Citizen NY0040 - Comparison

Exclamation Seiko SKX009 vs Citizen NY0040 - Comparison

Hi guys,

What is your favourite automatic diver's watch under $200?

For me it was a showdown between the Seiko SKX and the Citizen NY0040, so I decided to get both and make this comparison for the benefit of the community! :)

Check out the comparison here - Seiko SKX009 vs Citizen NY0040

Be sure to let me know what you think! :)

Thanks,
    Karl

Craftsman
    As somebody who is right handed; the crown looks like it's in an awkward position to me on the Citizen, especial for winding imo.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you ok'd posting all these links with Eddie? Because it seems to me you just joined to promote your/ friends businesses?

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    As somebody who is right handed; the crown looks like it's in an awkward position to me on the Citizen, especial for winding imo.
    That is true, but it's also good because it's less likely to bend or dig into your wrist!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Have you ok'd posting all these links with Eddie? Because it seems to me you just joined to promote your/ friends businesses?

mike
    Hi Mike,

Who's Eddie? I'll get in touch with him ASAP.

It is a personal blog, I am not making any money from it and just want to share some of the reviews with the community to try to help people out :)

I hope that's allowed!

Kind regards,
    Karl

I like both, but the NY0040 just doesn't have that special something that the SKX divers have. Seiko affordables just shine against the competition.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karlswa View Post
    Hi Mike,

Who's Eddie? I'll get in touch with him ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    Eddie is the forum owner,

mike

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Eddie is the forum owner,

mike
    Thanks Mike! What is his username so I can PM him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I like both, but the NY0040 just doesn't have that special something that the SKX divers have. Seiko affordables just shine against the competition.
    Yeah there is really something special about the Seiko Divers! :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Swanbourne.

Great comparison review, I own both these watches and have done for a long time. I agree with ratings both are very good value divers. Good blog.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Great comparison review, I own both these watches and have done for a long time. I agree with ratings both are very good value divers. Good blog.

:)
    Thank you very much! :)

Seiko SKX009 vs Citizen NY0040 - Comparison

I find the Seiko more aesthetically pleasing whereas the Citizen looks a bit fussy.

The SKX007 / 009 is a bit rough around the edges, the movement doesn't allow hand winding and I find the watch feels uncomfortably large. I've long suspected that the Citizen is the 'better' watch but everyone goes nuts for Seiko and the SKX007 / 009 is an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I find the Seiko more aesthetically pleasing whereas the Citizen looks a bit fussy.

The SKX007 / 009 is a bit rough around the edges, the movement doesn't allow hand winding and I find the watch feels uncomfortably large. I've long suspected that the Citizen is the 'better' watch but everyone goes nuts for Seiko and the SKX007 / 009 is an icon.
    Fair enough!

Yeah it's definetly fair to say that the SKX is more of an icon and a well known piece!

Thanks for the comment :)

I am fond of both so have one of each. Well , 2 Citizens really as I was taken by the full lume version, which , irritatingly, is a pain to read at night as it is SO BRIGHT. I had this done to sort the issue

Master
    It's a good comparison but I'm not sure with your overall conclusion. You justify preferring the citizen as it's black and therefore more suitable for more situations. But you're not really comparing like with like, if the colour is really important to you the compassion should be with the 007 not the 009.

Apprentice
    I like the crown placement. Its nice to see some variation.

The Citizen is terrible. Crown placement would bug me and whoever decided it was a good idea to make the marker at 12 look like a pair of underpants needs a slap...

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    whoever decided it was a good idea to make the marker at 12 look like a pair of underpants needs a slap...
    OMG once it's been seen it can never be be unseen

Blog Entries
    the marker at 12 look like a pair of underpants needs a slap...
    Hah!

Grand Master
    The underwear at 12 is silly but the crown placement is very useful - for right-handers who wear it on the left, it doesn't dig into the back of the hand, and as it's offset, it doesn't really dig into the hand when worn on the right either.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Underpants at 12 and marker pen at 6 & 9. Not a great look. One could almost say that someone is just about to vandalise a pair of underpants

Master
    If right handed and actually diving with it then less chance of striking the crown against something leading to watch failure.

Apprentice
    Is the skx much thicker when worn?

The Citizen is terrible. Crown placement would bug me and whoever decided it was a good idea to make the marker at 12 look like a pair of underpants needs a slap...
    I was going to praise its utilitarianism...this has ruined it.

I found the Seiko was larger and better made, but the Citizen was more accurate. The real difference is in the bezel action - the Seiko is great at any price and the Citizen is dreadful, even for a cheap watch.