closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Educate me on Blancpain Fifty Fathoms please

Quote Originally Posted by ayton1 View Post
    I think if you can afford one at the right price go for it.
    That is the absolute key here. Either buy pre-owned and cheap, or keep forever!

Not exactly a standard FF but I took my new (to me) Bathyscape skiing with me last week.

What a bloody phenomenal watch.

You can't go wrong with a Blancpain at the right price. Nothing else is getting a look in for some time, I suspect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I think the size debate of the FF is very interesting. I think it's possibly too big for me having tried one on in watches of Switzerland, but then again with short sleeves it looks great. I have come to the conclusion that size is part of the appeal of the watch. Also going on absolute size without trying it on is no use. My Nomos Ludwig wears bigger than my Sinn U1. So try on the FF and I am sure you'll get it. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Dark knight Joe
    Ditto this - my sweet spot is usually 40-42mm max and yet I tried the FF on during a business trip to Vegas last year and it looked and felt fantastic. Far neater than the specs suggest. One can argue all day about the heritage of Blancpain (pre-1983 and post-90s) but the FF remains to me the granddaddy of dive watches and tips the Submariner into a cocked hat every day of the week.

SGR

For those who find the standard 45 mm reissue too big,
    There is always the LE 42 mm, the one on the left in the pic below

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For those who find the standard 45 mm reissue too big,
    There is always the LE 42 mm, the one on the left in the pic below
    I've been looking for one of those for ages :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK View Post
    Wonderful watches but flawed design. I have owned 2, a stainless steel version and rg version. The ss one went back to blancpain twice with the broken bezel spring and the rg one once.. The internet is full of these reports and my issues occured after the bezel spring upgrade when blancpain tried to address this problem . Would love to own one again but the bezel issues have put me off. One of the nicest watches i have owned .. As long as you dont use the bezel
    Yes - the bezel issue definitely gives me pause. Saving hard for my grail - which is a blue FF, but possibly may go for something else if the bezel issue isn't addressed.

Do you know if new BP FF's still have the problem of the bezel spring breaking or the bezel popping off? Have BP addressed it do you know?

Interesting - I was not aware of the bezel issue. So far no issues with my bezel but I do not tend to use the bezel adjustment much.

Some people have reorted bezel spring breaking off.
    Overwhelmingly, these were the very early examples and Blancpain has offered to repair those for free and AFAIK, this issue has been resolved.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms do wear quite big and are quite thick so the comparision with a Rolex Deep Sea is valid. If bought new you will lose a lot but bought wisely second hand they seem ok.
    Unusually for a chronograph - the chrono can be operated underwater.

I never found the sailcloth particularly comfortable and invested in the strap changing kit and a couple of Blancpain Alligator leather straps.

Mine is the Complete Calendar version in Blue. Lume is excellent.

Here is mine on the aforementioned Alligator strap.
    The ultimate sport watch. Very thick though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Some people have reorted bezel spring breaking off.
    Overwhelmingly, these were the very early examples and Blancpain has offered to repair those for free and AFAIK, this issue has been resolved.
    Thanks for your reassuring post Rajan. The grail save is back on

I have a MILSPEC 1 that I've owned for years, great little watch

Blog Entries
    Everybody keeps talking about the FF wearing small for it's 45mm x 15,5mm size but what is the lug to lug measurement? I have googled like crazy but can't find the answer anywhere.

Journeyman
    The ultimate dive watch brand! I would love the Bathyscaphe version, albeit recognising it as something of a halfway house.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    The ultimate dive watch brand! I would love the Bathyscaphe version, albeit recognising it as something of a halfway house.
    You should really go for it. I absolutely bloody love mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'm wary of knocking my GS when wearing it so don't think walking around wearing a watch wrapped in bubblewrap is gonna look cool!
    I wear a Grand Seiko diver (sbgx 117) and find it very rugged. They will take a load of knocks and shrug them off. More so than my old Submariner, probably. The Blancpain is utterly stunning and requires real commitment. A serious watch by any standard.
    It may seem an odd comparison, but new Rolex Yachtmaster Two, the one with the Everose case and rubber strap, reminds me of the Blancpain. That's another rather glorious watch. One day, I will buy one or the other. Probably the Rolex because it is smaller (I mean less big)..
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd May 2016 at 14:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    Just do it.

The Bathyscaphe's an awesome watch.

All IMO of course!

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Just do it.

The Bathyscaphe's an awesome watch.

All IMO of course!
    I think it suffers for being associated with the Fifty Fathoms name.

It's a totally different watch and, personally, I wouldn't consider one instead of a FF.

If it was just called a "Bathyscaphe" I might feel more positive about it!

If I win big on the lottery, though, I'll have a proper Fifty Fathoms (simple 3 hander in black for me). I'll wear it to go and pick up my Ferrari F40 in the Maserati Gran Turismo daily driver

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think it suffers for being associated with the Fifty Fathoms name.

It's a totally different watch and, personally, I wouldn't consider one instead of a FF.

If it was just called a "Bathyscaphe" I might feel more positive about it!

If I win big on the lottery, though, I'll have a proper Fifty Fathoms (simple 3 hander in black for me). I'll wear it to go and pick up my Ferrari F40 in the Maserati Gran Turismo daily driver

M.

Absolutely, totally different too the FF.
    Much more subtle and understated IMO.