closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bugatti Chiron...

Master

Bugatti Chiron...

Limited to 261mph, speedo shows 500kph(!!!) and 0-60mph in under 2.5 seconds

I like!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a Griff 500!!

Makes about as much sense as a Deepsea .

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Makes about as much sense as a Deepsea .
    Anyone else disappointed that it just looks like a facelifted Veyron?

I thought they were supposed to be doing something radically different for the second new-gen Bugatti, but this just looks like more of the same (albeit, it seems, more accountant controlled...).

M.

Blog Entries
    Something else to end up in a footballers garage or rotting away in a ME desert but must be nice to have the funds.

It's just as ugly in the flesh. The Regera on the other hand looks superb.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Sounds like a Griff 500!!
    I used to have a Griff 500 and I think it sounded better - a more satisfying burble from the TVR. There's no doubt the Bugatti is beautifully made but it has never been attractive.

It's hard to think of a more pointless exercise.

There's almost nowhere on earth where you could properly explore what that car can do, and therefore find out whether it can do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    It's hard to think of a more pointless exercise.

There's almost nowhere on earth where you could properly explore what that car can do, and therefore find out whether it can do it well.
    Like a Rolex Deepsea, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    A Deep Sea, for all its stupidity, can be worn by the average bloke and still fulfil the function for which it was primarily intended.

I always kinda liked the Veyron, as pointless as it was, but this is a nightmare of a design. Looks like one of those magazine photoshop predictions rather than a real car.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    A Deep Sea, for all its stupidity, can be worn by the average bloke and still fulfil the function for which it was primarily intended.
    And the Veyron is still only a car that the average bloke can drive, presumably its function. Surely having enough money to buy it doesn't mean you have enough talent to be able to drive it fast, in much the same way that just becase someone can afford a Deep Sea they probably can't go open-sea diving.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike it for its intended purpose, which isn't primarily to go fast but for other people to think the owner can go fast. In the same way that a lot of people think someone wears a Rolex to show off their wealth.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Or a Submariner for that matter

I bet all current veron owners are going to be a bit miffed. Personally I would still have a 918 or P1 or a 962.

I agree makes no sense unless racing at LeMans.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    And the Veyron is still only a car that the average bloke can drive, presumably its function. Surely having enough money to buy it doesn't mean you have enough talent to be able to drive it fast, in much the same way that just becase someone can afford a Deep Sea they probably can't go open-sea diving.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike it for its intended purpose, which isn't primarily to go fast but for other people to think the owner can go fast. In the same way that a lot of people think someone wears a Rolex to show off their wealth.
    It's a lousy performance road car and it's definitely not a race car. The only conceivable thing it's really good at is going fast in a straight line. Where's the achievement in that?

If you want to drive, really drive, buy a Lola T70. For that money you could buy several.

Its design reminds me of one of those youtube videos where a snake eats something far too big.
    Or is it trying to eat itself?

Blog Entries
    If I stick a jetengine on my bicycle I'd be the fastest in a staight line, for a fraction of the price.

I would probably also be the owner of a burned ass.........:)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Most puzzling set of reactions to a piece of automotive art and wizardry in forum history. The horological equivalent of the Rolex fans telling everyone the £1 digital from the local garage is as desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Most puzzling set of reactions to a piece of automotive art and wizardry in forum history. The horological equivalent of the Rolex fans telling everyone the £1 digital from the local garage is as desirable.
    It's more like this, though isn't it?

https://monochrome-watches.com/jaque...edition-price/

Incredible engineering, but not really that useful.

M.

I'm not getting why it's supposed to be 'useful'?

It's an R&D exercise, an attention getter.

A Ford Transit is useful if you want to cart about sheets of eight by four. An estate car is useful if you've loads of bags or a dog.

I don't think it's intended to 'make the driver look like he can drive fast' either. From an owner's perspective I'd say it says

1) I'm interested in cars
    2) I have an epic bank balance most of you can probably only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

A Ford Transit is useful if you want to cart about sheets of eight by four. An estate car is useful if you've loads of bags or a dog.

I don't think it's intended to 'make the driver look like he can drive fast' either. From an owner's perspective I'd say it says

I don't care if it's useful, I think both the Chiron/Veyron and Jaquet Droz are marvellous, although I'd probably never bother owning either, even if I could afford them!

I just thought a mere Rolex was a bit mundane and utilitarian to compare a Bugatti to!

I'm still a bit disappointed it wasn't something really new, though. I thought the next Bugatti was going to be a 4 door, front engined car, but that just seems to be an ongoing tease...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th March 2016 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's more like this, though isn't it?

https://monochrome-watches.com/jaque...edition-price/

Incredible engineering, but not really that useful.

M.
    That fusion of art, design and engineering that falls into a category of its own. Function is only part of the package.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's nice, but honestly, it's no DAF is it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    It's nice, but honestly, it's no DAF is it.
    Noooo, that's even faster in a straight line

Will the Bugatti have that software inside, to proof it's actually just as clean a small family car?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As a distraction from 'dieselgate', the Chiron has a CBA and will generate money for the VW group. They have already sold >150 of the 500 planned production volume - it won't take long to sell the rest... there are plenty of billionaires in the world to justify its creation.

I'd much rather have a Koenigsegg Regera though... IMHO it looks better, it's even more exclusive (yet cheaper), and 0-250mph in under 20 seconds is going to make the Chiron look a bit stupid.

The founder of the company has an awesome name too... Christian von Koenigsegg (should have 'Count' as a prefix LOL).

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/29/k...neva-official/

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    That fusion of art, design and engineering that falls into a category of its own. Function is only part of the package.
    ^^^^
    I completely agree.

Making a 'usable' car isn't really the point of a Bugatti IMHO.

But then again, I also love my Deepsea, which is utterly pointless really, but appeals to my inner engineering nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post

It's not the car that's not 'useful'. I fully agree that's not the point. It's that the power can't be used, other than on the very few wide, open F1 rated circuits. And in those circumstances there are plenty of other cars that do the same job better and faster. So therefore it's not good for anything. Other than straight line speed on a runway. And where's the skill/achievement/joy in that?

Its t's automotive version of peak stuff.

Craftsman
    I think it's super cool, unfortunately it won't fit in my garage.

not bad!

If I had the wherewithal it would definitely be under consideration. Not the prettiest (probably better in a single colour) but 1500BHP? whoo-hoo

I could always slum it with a Veyron I suppose!!

Cheers

Tim

Master
    I like it, thought the Veyron looked a bit ordinary, but the Chiron looks like a hypercar

It's no MX5 though is it?

Impressive engineering; and if I had that kind of money I'd probably get one. Not in that colour combo though!