closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever watched a film...

Have you ever watched a film...

Have you ever watched a film which was well shot and brilliantly acted but at the end, you wondered "what was the point of that?".

We watched "45 Years" with Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay at the weekend and whilst the performances were first-rate (Charlotte Rampling has been nominated for 3 awards for this film), the film itself was lacking. I kept expecting the story to develop but it never did.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    brilliantly acted but at the end, you wondered "what was the point of that?".
    Inside Llewyn Davis was like that for me...

z

Left Behind. A load of people vanished into thin air. Turns out they had all suddenly gone to Heaven.

Maybe not brilliantly acted but certainly left me wondering 'what was the point of that?'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Maybe not brilliantly acted but certainly left me wondering 'what was the point of that?'.
    Was it written from the inside of the 'rapturist' movement looking out (i.e. saying "be good and you'll go to heaven"), or was it mocking those who believe in the rapture, or was it a drama that simply used the themes of the rapture to sell a movie?

Yes. But I've forgotten the titles for obvious reasons!

Left Behind. A load of people vanished into thin air. Turns out they had all suddenly gone to Heaven.

Sounds like the plot of 'Lost', but mercifully only a few hours rather than six seasons worth!

Cloud Atlas was exactly like that for me. I've still no idea what the film was actually about.

I always put narrative, screenplay and character development before camera work and CGI and cleverness for the sake of it. Many films leave me thinking "what was the point of that?" and not just the ones out of Hollywood.

Master
    I doubt anybody will agree with me but I found The Green Mile like this. I wondered why I had bothered. Not because I felt the film was bad in any way, it just wasn't doing anything. I sat through it all but found myself wondering why I had seen it and despite such a neutral feeling throughout.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I doubt anybody will agree with me but I found The Green Mile like this. I wondered why I had bothered. Not because I felt the film was bad in any way, it just wasn't doing anything. I sat through it all but found myself wondering why I had seen it and despite such a neutral feeling throughout.
    I do, I know it was very highly rated but you are not on your own it didn't do anything for me either.

The revenant for me

I watched that on Netflix, and seriously considered cancelling my subscription on the back of that one film. What has happened to Nicolas Cage?

Master
    What's that one with Mads whatshisname about the crazy Viking that they keep tied up for fighting and then they go over hills and dales until they are all dead? Blimey I didn't know what to make of that.

I know exactly what you mean, it was Shaving Private Ryan for me, and although it had a happy ending I was left wondering what's the point

Glad I didn't rent it, thanks for the warning..........................

Master
    Valhalla Rising, I had to go and check

The Tree Of Life

Master
    Reservoir Dogs for me, left the cinema wondering exactly that. Entertaining to a degree but I've never watched it again.

Natural Born Killers is the worst I've ever paid to see.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Julie and Julia.

It's got Meryl Streep in it. She couldn't act badly if she tried. In fact, all the cast did an admirable job. Trouble is, its a film about nothing. Some bird cooks some recipes from an older bird's cook book. So what.

I'm actually getting annoyed thinking about the two hours of my life I shall never get back that I spent watching it.

Apparently its based on a true story. I don't care.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Sounds like the plot of 'Lost', but mercifully only a few hours rather than six seasons worth!
    Was thinking exactly that. What the h3ll did I waste several years of my life watching lost! They never wrapped up or explained loads of storylines, lost of stupid forced plot twists int eh last series to try to explain some of the weird plot devices. In the end it's all a "dream" (for those that might not of watched it and are bothering to persevere then I won't completely ruin it and say exactly what it is)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Was it written from the inside of the 'rapturist' movement looking out (i.e. saying "be good and you'll go to heaven"), or was it mocking those who believe in the rapture, or was it a drama that simply used the themes of the rapture to sell a movie?
    I think it was trying to make a religious point rather than mocking, but it really didn't go anywhere. It felt like watching half a film and missing the ending.

Blog Entries
    I think it was trying to make a religious point rather than mocking, but it really didn't go anywhere. It felt like watching half a film and missing the ending.
    Ah, perhaps the audience was expected to make up their own mind and come to the 'right' conclusions.

Perhaps yours was the right conclusion. ;-)

Journeyman
    The Artist, and I agree re 45 Years.

Craftsman
    Pan's Labyrinth (not the Bowie one), absolutely love the film, it's a beautiful film, but also comes with a large dollop of 'What did I just watch?'

I look forward to Coen Bros. films, but after watching, I often wonder "What was the point of that?"

Great acting, great cinematography, fantastic little nuggets within the film, but taken as a whole, there's something lacking...

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I look forward to Coen Bros. films, but after watching, I often wonder "What was the point of that?"

Great acting, great cinematography, fantastic little nuggets within the film, but taken as a whole, there's something lacking...
    Definitely felt this with A Serious Man, although I like and enjoy most of their other films.

Master
    There Will Be Blood. I can't actually remember if I watched it all but it was one of those films where I think to myself "am I really thick and missed the plot here".

Birdman was the most recent example. It just seemed like a load of actors getting off on acting dead good at each other. Like some sort of jazz jam session for actors. I got to a point where I said "if i'm more than half way through i'll keep watching" Hit pause and I was 50 minutes in with with 56 to go. Saved in the nick of time.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Inside Llewyn Davis was like that for me...

z
    Film 4 @ 2100 tomorrow...in case you've changed your mind.

Craftsman
    No country for old men, all the hype and it just left me confused and empty.

The same goes for Fargo, I just did not get it in the slightest.

I'm gonna get you sucka on the other hand was a lesson in cinematography (joke obviously)

'A Most Wanted Man'

Philip Seymour Hoffman was utterly mesmerising and carried, what I felt was, a lukewarm plot. But watch the film anyway for Hoffman's performance!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, it was Shaving Private Ryan for me, and although it had a happy ending I was left wondering what's the point
    Is that the one starring Alison Angel as Private Ryan?

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    Valhalla Rising
    +1 - what the hell was that all about?

Master
    Another series for me that ended with wtf was MR Robot. Really looked forward to it and enjoyed the first five or six episodes. Then it was if they ran out of ideas and wondered how they could finish it. They didn't.

"what was the point of that?"

Most movies last couple of years have left me wondering just that.

Latest was "Drive". Know it has lots of fans, but it left me cold. Looked good, acting fine, but did nothing for me. 1,5h of my life I'm not getting back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    The Tree Of Life
    was trying to thing of the name of the film and your post jumped out at me. watched half an hour of this pretentious crap and then phoned sky to complain about their description of it, demanding a refund of my £4.99. wife thought i'd lost the plot.

Master
    American Hustle ; its on this weekend.

Only reason you should watch is to see Christian Bale's character guing his hair into position , I'm sure old trumpy does the same.

Blog Entries
    Being John Malkovich. Totally ticks all 'what's the point?' boxes for me.

Menno

Life of pi - one boy's unrealistic "adventures" on a small boat with a blatantly CGI Tiger. Boy & Tiger find strange island, boy and Tiger leave strange island and end up somewhere normal. Tiger leaves boy, the end.

Phonebooth - 90 minutes of a stressed out man in a phone booth with a non event of an ending.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 5th March 2016 at 12:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    American Hustle ; its on this weekend.

Only reason you should watch is to see Christian Bale's character guing his hair into position , I'm sure old trumpy does the same.
    I saw that at the cinema. Rubbish.

Another vote for 45 Years.. found it quite strange. Not my cup of tea.

Journeyman
    Going back a few years, the The English Patient, why, oh why, oh why.

Rave reviews, stunning scenery, BUT.

Waaaaayyyyyyy to long and bored the bee Jesus out of me.

Journeyman
    The Virgin Suicides
    Such a depressing film, all the actors were great, but the plot just stayed in depression and got worse. One of the worst endings I have ever seen. The audience is left thinking WTF.

Most of the films that my wife and daughters watch which they refer to as 'chick flicks'

Sometimes they have good productions values and acting but I am left thinking what on earth is the point of that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post

Ah no I quite liked the English patient. I wasn't wild about the post crispy plot details but I thought there was much to admire in the rest of it.

Ah no I quite liked the English patient. I wasn't wild about the post crispy plot details but I thought there was much to admire in the rest of it.
    Me too. It wasn't really a film that I was bothered about seeing. I didn't believe the hype but when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised.

Master
    All is forgiven because of Kristin Scott Thomas

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    All is forgiven because of Kristin Scott Thomas
    Even the lovely Miss Thomas couldn't save it for me Mark. :(

Journeyman
    Each to their own Mr. D. I guess I was 'dragged' there in the first place an my then wife loved this sort of thing, so maybe my mindset before the film was tinged a little.

If I watched it again maybe I'd think again, but the memory of the first screening lingers long in the memory. :)

Journeyman
    Jaws. Now there's a film that really did influence me, the only semi unbelievable thing was the size of the shark, but then this showed up and made the whole thing believable be again.

Jaws. Now there's a film that really did influence me
    You bought a bigger boat?