closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Summer 2016 Travel to Oxford

Master

Summer 2016 Travel to Oxford

Hello all,

It has been some time since I have been on this forum, and an even longer time since I last posted...

My eldest is a first year law student at the Southern Methodist University (SMU) Dedman School of Law. This summer, she has been accepted into a collaborative course in conjunction with the University of Oxford School of Law. She will be living in the dorms during her stay.

As a father, I am interested in as much information about such things as transport from and to London Heathrow, as well s any other bits that might come in handy for a grad student at Oxford.

I thank you all, in advance, for your input.

Michael

Journeyman
    Heathrow to Oxford is very convenient by bus - The Airline coach service leaves the airport regularly (every 20-30 minutes during the day) and takes less than 90 minutes. It'll stop at a few places in town before terminating at Gloucester Green. The website (http://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/) has the timetables and fares.

In terms of "other bits," the city is extremely safe and everything is well within walking distance. A few tips picked up over nearly a decade of being a lucky resident of this parish:

- Summer in Oxford as a student is made for punting. Avoid the Magdalen Bridge area and set off from Cherwell Boathouse instead.
    - Best coffee is a tossup between Brew on North Parade and the Missing Bean on the Turl. The Turl is also home to Ducker and Sons, a first-class shoe shop in case you happen to visit and require a new pair of brogues.
    - Don't buy Oxford branded clothing, which is exclusively worn by tourists.
    - Sundays are best spent taking a leisurely walk through Port Meadow before ending up at the Trout or the Perch for a drink. The food at each is fine but prices have gone up.
    - The Museums (Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers) are ace.

And if all of that isn't enough, London's only an hour away.

If you have any more queries, I'd be happy to help (and there's a fair few other Oxonians about this board who I'm sure have other suggestions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Frisco, Texas View Post
    Hello all,

It has been some time since I have been on this forum, and an even longer time since I last posted...

My eldest is a first year law student at the Southern Methodist University (SMU) Dedman School of Law. This summer, she has been accepted into a collaborative course in conjunction with the University of Oxford School of Law. She will be living in the dorms during her stay.

As a father, I am interested in as much information about such things as transport from and to London Heathrow, as well s any other bits that might come in handy for a grad student at Oxford.

I thank you all, in advance, for your input.

Michael

Master
    Thanks, Fuzuli. I will pass this on to number one daughter...

I know she is very eager to spend time in Oxford and various other locales.

There are approximately 36 SMU law students participating in this programme.

Blog Entries
    I went to Oxford Brookes for 4 years and have lived 20 mins away from there for 6 years, I have got to get an early night as I'm up at the crack of sparrows tomorrow morning however if you drop me a pm I will give you as much/little info as you would like.
    Mike

My daughter is almost finished the 2nd year of a 4 year course at Lincoln College in Oxford. When I travel down to deposit/collect her I have an overnighter and stay just down the road in Abingdon. The Brewery Tap and the Nag's Head both have great beers, live music and good food, and there's an Indian restaurant called The Majliss which is superb. Perhaps a 15 minute minibus ride there with a few chums would be a nice break from Oxford.
    F.T.F.A.

Another Oxonian here and happy to help if you want to PM.

Oxford college stereotypes

I posted this in the Bullingdon some time ago. Hope it helps .

All Souls: Not very bright.

Balliol: Left-Wing

Brasenose: Full of “Rahs”

Christ Church: Rich, Aristocratic, and Tory

Corpus Christi: Small and nonchalant

Exeter: Apathetic

Harris Manchester: Stupid

Hertford: Chavs, heavy drinkers, Northern, state-schoolers

Jesus: Welsh

Keble: Rugby players, State schoolers, inferiority complex with St. John’s due to Keble’s land being purchased from them and St. John’s having the reputation of a rich college

Lincoln: Friendly, apathetic, lots of historians, good food

Lady Margaret Hall: For “thick rahs,” heavy partiers

Magdalen: Five - one to change the bulb, and the other four to bugger him senseless.

Mansfield: Friendly, calm, poor, good food

Merton: Workaholics

New: Large and arrogant

Oriel: Rich and Tory (T’Oriel)

Pembroke: Expensive, poor accommodations, good rowing, terrible food

The Queen's: Northerners

St. Anne's: State schoolers, ugly architecture

St. Catherine’s: Ugly architecture (Postmodern)

St Edmund: Aggressive, drunken rugby players

St. Hilda's: Lesbians

St. Hugh's: State schoolers, periphery (non-central) location at the edge of Oxford

St. John's: Rich, state schoolers, academic/geeky/workaholics

St Peter's: Weird, strange, lacking in social skills

Somerville: Gay, poor

Trinity: Rahs, hate Balliol

University – Full of international students

Wadham: Liberal, state schoolers, lots of homosexuals

Worcester: Conservative, athletic, laid back
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ge-stereotypes