closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Difficult confession

Difficult confession

Okay, this is going to be tough confession, and I beg that people do not judge me on having made such a decision in my life.

A little over a month ago, I purchased a Microsoft Band 2 to see what this smart watch / fitness tracker nonsense is all about.

My first impressions were rather mixed. Having researched the market, the Band is at the top end of the current market in terms of quality, and I would say it is up there with Casio or Lorus digital watches! The clasp is very loose and rattly, and the silicone used for the strap is very easy to mark.

However, it has had more positive comments and questions than any other watch I have had, and the style of the watch works well as casual or smart.

I must admit that I have worn the watch every day, including sleeping, and I am not sure I would get rid of it. Which leads me to think it has turned me from traditional watches.

If I am thinking this, as a fan of 'traditional' watches, there must be far more people in the real world being convinced to switch. The industry is going to need to respond to this more effectively than it currently is soon.

Having experienced the benefits of quality timepieces, and the superb functionality of these devices, I would more than willingly pay out for a premium version of this device.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this change in the market?

There is clearly a place in the market for smart watches because of the functionality and I am sure most youngsters / teenagers would prefer a SW to a tradition watch if given a choice for that very reason, but there will still be a place for the traditional watch and I suspect ultimately a lot of people will end up owning both.

Master
    Not for me I'm afraid - but then again, it seems I am one of the people without a "lifestyle" so clearly the product is not aimed at me

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    There is clearly a place in the market for smart watches because of the functionality and I am sure most youngsters / teenagers would prefer a SW to a tradition watch if given a choice for that very reason, but there will still be a place for the traditional watch and I suspect ultimately a lot of people will end up owning both.
    I suspect there a lot of people in the watch industry saying very similar comments. However, it seems that this is an area they should be trying to bring their expertise to. I can understand some of the companies sticking to what they know best, but I am surprised that 'technology driven' companies like Seiko and Citizen have not tried anything yet.

Once these 'youngsters' have had a smartwatch, I am not sure they will be willing to buy a watch that only does one thing!

Master
    I have a fitbit thingy.

I see it as a 'steps/activity/etc recording band' that also happens to show the time.

I'd never stop wearing traditional watches.

Quote Originally Posted by gregwhitehouse View Post
    I suspect there a lot of people in the watch industry saying very similar comments. However, it seems that this is an area they should be trying to bring their expertise to. I can understand some of the companies sticking to what they know best, but I am surprised that 'technology driven' companies like Seiko and Citizen have not tried anything yet.

Once these 'youngsters' have had a smartwatch, I am not sure they will be willing to buy a watch that only does one thing!
    You might be right, but look what happened when the likes of Garmin's etc first hit the streets. People serious about sport or having the latest gadget bought one, but it didn't kill the market in stop watches, which they had used before. I was with a running club for a while and most runners owned a Garmin, but took it off as soon as they had finished their training sessions. You certainly didn't see people going to work in them. I am sure someone will pop up soon and say I do, but it just illustrates what happens when a new fad hits the market place. Just look in the Argos catalogue and see how many stop watches are listed.

Journeyman
    Great point. I believe the watch industry might see some changes in the long run.

However, I feel traditional watches are pieces of jewellery where was these fit bits etc. are gadgets which soon becomes obsolete/old as the new version comes in. My two cents: Nothing beats the class of the traditional watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I have a fitbit thingy.

I see it as a 'steps/activity/etc recording band' that also happens to show the time.

Yep, same here.
    Much slimmer device at 21mm, sometimes worn on the right wrist & sometimes further up the left, it does all the Smart features I need, tracking & phone notifications.

However, there is ALWAYS a traditional watch on my left wrist.

I've got a Xiamo gadget on my right wrist that monitors steps, heart rate and my sleeping pattern and wakes me up gently in the morning.

On my left wrist today is a Longines Hydroconquest.

I know the gadget will be redundant and replaced in 18 months, but I'll be enjoying the Longines for years to come

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I have a fitbit thingy.

THIS ^^^^^^^

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I recently bought a Tag Heuer Connected smart watch and it was excellent but I missed wearing my real watches too much even though the Connected looks great. I have since moved it on and bought the Microsoft Band 2 which I can wear for the fitness benefits but also continue to wear and enjoy my real watches.

Treason.

It's progress really and will have an impact on the watch industry, if you look back through time (no pun intended) gadgets were always treated with "it will never catch on" but it will.
    That said, there will always be room for traditional watches, as jewellery and interest in horology, but some brands need to embrace it now to keep their market share.
    I suspect the likes of Rolex will see little drop in sales, but some brands or makers will shrink and probaly disappear.

Master
    Surely the response is 'burn him'? In all seriousness having seen a SW and it's capability to display many looks it ticks a lot of boxes for peeps like us (see what I did there). Whilst the pleasure of a mechanical movement ticking away or similar will always have a place I suspect the only thing stopping them being really popular to a wide range of customers is battery life. If they solve that then who knows where the tech will lead.

Maybe they could resolve that with an auto movement - all joking aside had anyone done that with a full on SW display/functionality?
    Last edited by deepreddave; 17th March 2016 at 21:03.

Master
    I love my traditional watches but had an itch to try the Apple Watch. I had one for a month but sold it and returned to traditional watches. I scratched that itch and there's no doubt smart watches serve a purpose but after trying one they are not for me.

Traditional all the way!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Treason.
    ha ha, you forgot "high" in front.

No, i really like this watch, design wise. Although it really reminds of the Rosendahl watch ii, i am farily certain that they taken their design cues from that one. Both of them are even named "ii/2", i wonder if Microsoft have paid anything to Rosendahl.

I have a good friend that I'd say is typical of many Rolex owners - good taste, appreciates quality, engineering and design but not a collector like most of us. He always wears his Apple watch and keeps his SeaDweller in a draw most of the time. Will he buy his kids a high end mechanical watch and pass on the love? Not so sure.

Right now we are in a boom for mechanical watches which will last for years but maybe not for ever.

Grand Master
    Just as mobile phones are throw away these will go the same way too.

The same will not happen to let's say a vintage 5513.

The only reason people on watch forums buy them is simply because we have an interest in timepieces.I don't have one because I'm conscious of the array of smart watches available,but what I can say I like and the only reason I'd probably buy one for is....the time display,the rest for me wouldn't be of any use,my mobile does that.

Journeyman
    As many have said - people wear traditional watches for reasons other than functionality. Status, pride of ownership, peer pressure (!) etc. Owners regard watches as a thing of beauty. Can't see hitech ever ousting traditional watches.

Yes...which is probably why the market in vintage luxury watches is doing nicely...