closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes SLK Experience

Hybrid View

I've got a very clean R170 with a full history, 80k and loaded with extras (Bose, sports exhaust, carbon and red leather). If anybody reading this is looking for a cheap way into an SLK and wants a lot of car for not a lot of money drop me a line!

Craftsman
    +1 on the manual gearbox, avoid it. The gearbox itself is heavy and slow, but the clutch somehow makes it worse.

My wife wanted one of these for years, since they came out.

She bought a Peugeot 206CC as it was, to her, a poor man’s alternative. She loved the Pug.

Time moved on, and her Mum died and left her a bit of money, just about enough for a decent second-hand SLK. She decided she would get one, in her Mum's memory as it were. As a weekend car.

We looked around for a while, found a lovely looking 200 Kompressor, Manual, air con leather, etc etc.. Decent price, just shy of £10k.

She hated it. Found it not nice to drive (the gearbox) and just somehow never enjoyed it. It didn't have the fizz, the brio, the whatever that made some cars fun to drive.

I kid you not, it did 400 miles between MoTs the first year, hardly 200 miles the second year. Traded it in for a Golf.

Shame, she so wanted it.

Just a personal tale, no doubt the newer ones are better, but the manual gearbox thing still applies. Make sure you/she drive anything first.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Bazzman; 24th March 2016 at 09:15. Reason: typo

I hate to simply echo what everyone else has said, but having had both (and normally MUCH preferring manual cars) - get an auto.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Definitely looks the part.. what sort of money do these early cars go for now....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I've got a very clean R170 with a full history, 80k and loaded with extras (Bose, sports exhaust, carbon and red leather). If anybody reading this is looking for a cheap way into an SLK and wants a lot of car for not a lot of money drop me a line!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by 17bex; 29th March 2016 at 18:06.