closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porsche PDK gearbox

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    My 981 Cayman has PDK, and I love it, it blips the throttle on down shift and is incredibly fast (in sport mode). The above comments are correct for auto/tiptronic boxes (I had a 996 tip and it wasn't great) but not for PDK.
    As said, not in my experience. Both cars, with similar gearboxes, lasted less than three months each in my ownership. Clever, yes, but dull and detached. I can quite happily blip myself, and fast changes are so yesterday. Skill and involvement both go out the window.
    Last edited by Skyman; 24th March 2016 at 22:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    As said, not in my experience. Both cars, with similar gearboxes, lasted less than three months each in my ownership. Clever, yes, but dull and detached. I can quite happily blip myself, and fast changes are so yesterday. Skill and involvement both go out the window.
    I agree that they feel detached (slightly) I think it's because your left foot doesnt have any involvement, and that feels unbalanced somehow. I think if it was my car only (joint car with the Mrs) I'd have a manual, but I love the simplicity (in driving terms) of the PDK, town driving and the odd blast on a B road is great with a PDK, guess I'm lazy in driving terms.
    If I was rich enough and a 991 GT3 was in the offering, I would want it with a manual gearbox, no questions asked, because that car is about driver involvement, amazed Porsche don't offer a manual box.....GT4 is where I would go if I had the money!
    How did you get through the cars in 3 months?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I agree that they feel detached (slightly) I think it's because your left foot doesnt have any involvement, and that feels unbalanced somehow. I think if it was my car only (joint car with the Mrs) I'd have a manual, but I love the simplicity (in driving terms) of the PDK, town driving and the odd blast on a B road is great with a PDK, guess I'm lazy in driving terms.
    If I was rich enough and a 991 GT3 was in the offering, I would want it with a manual gearbox, no questions asked, because that car is about driver involvement, amazed Porsche don't offer a manual box.....GT4 is where I would go if I had the money!
    How did you get through the cars in 3 months?
    I got bored, simple as that. Six months later almost to the day, I take delivery of a Caterham next week. I guess I like extremes!

Master
    I got bored, simple as that. Six months later almost to the day, I take delivery of a Caterham next week. I guess I like extremes!
    Fair enough, we all want different things from our motors,

What's the spec on your 7?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, we all want different things from our motors,

What's the spec on your 7?
    Simple and light. A Superlight Twenty, with a mere 135bhp, but less than 500kg. This is her (Chitty) today.

Carbon, and not much else, in abundance.

Master
    Simple and light. A Superlight Twenty, with a mere 135bhp, but less than 500kg. This is her (Chitty) today.

Carbon, and not much else, in abundance.
    Nice! Love it!

Master
    Sorry to tangent on the OPs original statement, but what are your thoughts on the GT4? Is it the only hardcore Porsche drivers car you can buy new?

#jedimode - This is not the gearbox you are looking for....

The market for modern Porsche's has changed and PDK is a showroom favourite for the average aspirationalist.

Clearly not for everybody (me) but hey ho,
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........