closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you drink?

Not as much as I used to, but certainly enjoy a few pints in the local - especially in the summer months.

I have not had a alcoholic drink since i was 23 , im now 55 .

I used to drink quite a bit in my 20's and 30's but always as part of my work (advertising industry). I'm fact, I now think of it as a work activity and have really cut down - it just doesn't really interested me to drink alcohol, tbh. My wife very rarely drinks and I can't stand wine (just gives me gut ache) so if I ever drink at home it's the odd bottle of beer - maybe one a week on average, and if I'm at the pub it will be 1 pint if I'm driving or up to 4 if I'm not. I think drinking booze is overrated tbh, most of it tastes dreadful!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    1-2 pints every couple of weeks now at most,
    I found that having the shakes after a heavy night was not helpful when you are in the back of a customers watch with a screwdriver the next day
    Ironically, if I`m doing some really tricky watch work (such as correcting a hairspring) I work better on an evening after a whisky! My hands are definitely steadier and I can concentrate better.

Paul

maybe 3/4 units a year

A lot less than I used to but still probably excessively when I'm home. I work away 6 months of the year and don't / can't touch alcohol so make up for it when I'm home. Normally 2-3 pints of beer, 1-2 bottles of wine, maybe a gin as well most nights I'm home.

I was a nasty partier and binge drinker of beer until my late 30s; then I pretty much stopped drinking...maybe just got tired of the crushing hangovers. About the only time I drink now is a few beers when we're away on vacation.

Journeyman
    I try to drink about half a bottle of wine a day and top myself up with a couple of pints of ale during the day. That said, if I'm in a bad mood I won't touch the stuff.

Grand Master
    I can go weeks or months without drinking but then it depends on the night and the company. Last night was heavy one, 8 or 9 pints, two or three whiskies, and pickled anchovies, which seemed a good idea at the time but are playing havoc with my hangover this morning. Sofa day beckons!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

It's not the anchovies.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I can go weeks or months without drinking but then it depends on the night and the company. Last night was heavy one, 8 or 9 pints, two or three whiskies, and pickled anchovies, which seemed a good idea at the time but are playing havoc with my hangover this morning. Sofa day beckons!
    Now that's the bit I don't miss!

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    A lot less than I used to but still probably excessively when I'm home. I work away 6 months of the year and don't / can't touch alcohol so make up for it when I'm home. Normally 2-3 pints of beer, 1-2 bottles of wine, maybe a gin as well most nights I'm home.

What do you do after 5pm then ? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Used to drink around a bottle of wine a night. Or the equivalent in lager

That's a couple of years ago. Now? I received 4 bottles of beer for xmas and have one left at the moment. Of the three bottles I did open, I doubt I finished one of them. It just doesn't appeal to me as much. I like the idea of craft ales etc but in all honesty I don't think I like them as much as I want to!

Resurrecting a thread to speak about drink vice :)

I try to drink a beer or two a day. And some gintonic, with my wife.

But at the end, I get maybe a beer a week, and maybe a pair or three gintonics a year.

Believe me: the happy ending gintonic does not exist (not above 40).

The thread is called "How much do you drink?", not "How long have you been teetotal for?". Now excuse me while I go and post "MotoGP is better" in the F1 thread, and suggest an MX-5 in the "Which family car?" thread.

BTW, I drink more than I probably should. I drink because I like the sensation of feeling a bit drunk, and to help me forget.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Talking to the average punter in the pub at weekends, the consensus is that the well intentioned Government guidelines are written by academics who simply do not reside in the "real world". Many pub goers consume their weekly allowance in one night!
    It's health advice, not an opinion poll.

Journeyman
    maybe one drink a week or so, but then I find it difficult to choose what to drink at the pub, there are only so many orange juices n lemonade you can handle!

Master
    More than I should :) typically 3 or 4 66cl a night. Ah well, still get myself to every morning lecture unlike the guys almost a decade younger :)

Master
    I have an on/off relationship with alcohol. I love my vodka martinis and the occasional bottled beer. But I do drink too many of them, so every few weeks I cease and desist for a while. It's three or four weeks since I had a drink at the moment, will probably stay on the wagon for another week or three. The really nice thing is sleeping better - I just feel so much more comfortable and relaxed climbing into bed and going to sleep without alcohol in my system.

I'm a binge drinker.

Don't drink at home, and if I'm out with the wife I'm usually driving. But if it's a lads night out, stag do or wedding I tend to drink a lot and always have an awful hangover.

Fortunately these things only crop up about once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The thread is called "How much do you drink?", not "How long have you been teetotal for?". Now excuse me while I go and post "MotoGP is better" in the F1 thread, and suggest an MX-5 in the "Which family car?" thread.
    To be fair it doesn't say "If you drink, how much?" does it?

The answer for some is clearly 'Nothing, these days".

I can honestly say "Nothing" now (although it's only been about 3 days and will change before the end of the week! )

M.

Interesting how many on here are open about being abstainers or acknowledge they probably drink too much. Maybe because this is an online forum? - if I order less than a pint of lager in a pub or a soft drink at dinner most people react like you just ordered crack cocaine. 'What's wrong mate, got the car/Nancy boy/can't the missus drive, etc. I'm thick skinned (and old enough!) to say no thanks, I just don't fancy a drink tonight, but peer pressure to drink in the UK still seems to be the norm. I have been described as looking like a 'classic rugby player' type and saying 'no thanks I will just have an orange juice' seems to really annoy a lot of people. Not that I care, just a social observation!

Craftsman
    Like most people I have cut back since my twenties when I could handle 10 pints .I much prefer quality over quantity now.On Saturday I bought 4 cans of craft beers I hadn't tried before , I drank 2 on Saturday night and 2 on Sunday night and that will do me for a week or two

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Interesting how many on here are open about being abstainers or acknowledge they probably drink too much. Maybe because this is an online forum? - if I order less than a pint of lager in a pub or a soft drink at dinner most people react like you just ordered crack cocaine. 'What's wrong mate, got the car/Nancy boy/can't the missus drive, etc. I'm thick skinned (and old enough!) to say no thanks, I just don't fancy a drink tonight, but peer pressure to drink in the UK still seems to be the norm. I have been described as looking like a 'classic rugby player' type and saying 'no thanks I will just have an orange juice' seems to really annoy a lot of people. Not that I care, just a social observation!
    You are obviously:
    Gay
    Soft
    Southern
    Not a real man
    Poncy
    Weak
    Wet
    Etc etc.

That's several hundred years of social conditioning for you.
    Frankly the British attitude to alcohol is an embarrassment. I admire anyone who manages to function socially without having to resort to getting shitfaced or ordering grim tasting sugar and alcohol concoctions called 'shots' as if that's the only way to enable enjoyment.
    Im still amazed at how apparently sane people can let themselves get addicted to a social crutch that causes so much grief.

Don't get me wrong I love alcoholic drinks, I like real beer, good wine and drink neat spirits not adulterated by sickly mixers or soft drinks (apart from a good tonic) it's just that being a 'lightweight' I don't drink to excess.

Sensible drinking is not difficult you just don't have to follow the sheeplike tendencies of alcohol abusers.

I drink only in the pub these days and visit once a fortnight on average. I drink four, maybe five, pints on those evenings. That makes me a binge drinker, but I'm happy that it's a lot healthier than how I was in my 20's. That said, they were good times and I have no regrets.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    I learnt at a young age that over drinking was a waste of money as you can bring it up again.
    Now I may have an odd nip of whiskey or gin, port etc maybe twice a week and wine if folk come round but nothing much. I don't do pubs these days.

I struggle to make a litre of whisky last a week.

I'm under doctor's orders to cut back, but as Father Merrin says in The Exorcist, "Thank God, I'm weak".

I didn't drink for three years due to medication, but now I'm off it I drink mostly with my meals. Drank beer a while, but I felt that bloated me (and I can't get my fave Belgian beers here). So I drink like the locals, white wine, probably three to four glasses, a couple of times a week. I want to cut down again, though.

OTOH, when I lived in Scotland, next to a distillery (Glen Goyne, if someone knows it)......

Master
    I'm a bottle of ale a day man love the stuff but rarely drink spirits

How much do you drink?

I make my own beer, so have very easy access at home. My standard is 1x500ml bottle 6 days a week. For me it is all about quality and taste, which is why I don't make beers above 5%.

My wife sees my drinking as excessive, I think it's perfectly fine.
    Last edited by mikiejack; 30th March 2016 at 07:52.

Grand Master
    ​This morning my head says .....too much
    RIAC

Master
    If you are worried about your alcohol intake try not to drink for a month.
    You may be surprised how difficult it is. If its impossible to stop even for just a month than you might want to seek professional help.

I was worried about my drinking but thankfully found I could stop even in social situations with little real difficulty.

If you are drinking throughout the day ( pub lunch , evening drinks , night cap). You may want to start limiting things before it gets its hooks into you.

Blog Entries
    Half a bottle of wine, every day for the last 25 years or so.
    Always in the evening, before I go to bed, never during the day.

Plus the occasional scotch.

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 30th March 2016 at 10:49.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    If you are worried about your alcohol intake try not to drink for a month.
    I consume about a bottle of wine/week, most of it just a glass dining and still would miss it.

Maybe one or two units per month. Even a sniff makes me feel like crap the next day, and I've kind of lost my taste for alcohol if I'm honest. I like it on the odd occasion, but it doesn't like me.

Not enough

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What do you do after 5pm then ? ;-)
    After 5pm. Well thats when I start drinking properly

Craftsman
    Sun = 2 ales (at home watching the box)
    Mon = 0
    Tues = 0
    Weds = 0
    Thu = approx. 6 (snooker)
    Fri = 2 every other week as rather stay in on a Friday night with movie which is then = 0
    Sat = approx. 8 beers during the day (footy) but typically home by 7pm

I hardly drink at home and am more of a social drinker, unfortunately my two hobbies are snooker and watching football which are a killer.

Craftsman
    I`m same as others really. Nothing from Monday til Thursday then a couple on a friday night. A fair few on a saturday (depends on what I`m doing) and then a steady couple at sunday tea time. Unless I`m hungover from the Saturday night then I don`t touch it.

I tried not drinking for a month and felt great for it

Reading through this thread it's clear I drink WAY more than the norm!!!

Probably best not to go into detail, through fear of public lynching!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Reading through this thread it's clear I drink WAY more than the norm!!!

Probably best not to go into detail, through fear of public lynching!
    Or you could just be the only one telling the truth ;-)

3 pints of ale, 3 bottles of decent red wine, 7 glasses whisky and ginger ale. Every week!

I had a day off yesterday, first in a while, felt OK nothing special. Today 4 cans of beer and about a bottle of red at a friends Birthday party. The extra calories bother me more than the alcohol/ hangover.

Reading through this thread has me thinking of the ire shown by many of these same contributors about those who overeat...

Master
    I only started drinking when I reached about 27 - from 16-27 my weekends were spent in nightclubs and raves, where alcohol wasn't really the tipple of the day.

I now love a few beers at the weekend washed down with a few brandies.

Weddings etc tend to be a real session though.

Craftsman
    Too much yesterday... ugh