closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Advice

Journeyman

Rolex Advice

Even all, hope you all had a good bank holiday weekend.

I have a few Breitling and Omega watches in my collection, never really wanted a rolex but for some reason I keep searching for them on SC.

Keeping looking at the sub or sea dweller, yet I'm not overly fond of the fish eye.

Would really like some advice and help on what to look for if I took the jump and bought one, the differences between the two and anything else that might be helpful.

Cheers guys

Mike

Blog Entries
    Do please try the search facility or google - anyway - this is one title that came up within the last 6 months to help you out - click on this link:

Educate me. Whats the difference between a Sea Dweller and a Sub

All the best - oh - if you can afford it, the Seadweller 4000 is best in my humble opinion - though the Submariner wears a little slimmer if you don't want the date function.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th March 2016 at 22:37.

Struggle to beat a non-date Sub, but then I would say that..

Journeyman
    Thanks Martyn, couldnt find that on the search function, my bad.

Master
    If by "fish eye", you mean what's affectionately known as the cyclops, you have a long way to go. I don't mean to sound facetious, I genuinely mean that you need to research all the models, but I guess that's why you're asking for help.

Do you have a budget?

£3-4k will get you something like a 14060 which is the older model of Submariner, or the 16610 which is the older model of the Submariner date. There's also an older Sea-Dweller on SC right now (16600).

IMO, of this era, the Sub is the better watch. Just my opinion but I prefer the way the Subs wear in relation to the top-heavy older Sea-Dwellers. If you dislike the cyclops though, the Sea-Dweller may be the one for you.

Heading up in price, you start getting to the more current, ceramic models. There's the 114060 Sub ceramic, the 116610 Date sub and the 116600 Sea-Dweller. I had the current Sea-Dweller and current Sub simultaneously recently and kept the SDc because I prefer it that's all. I know a lot of people who think the other way, but the SDc/SD4000/Current Sea-Dweller, really is one heck of a watch. It's not top-heavy like the older models I've had, and it has a more slender case shape compared to the SubC, although it does sit ever so slightly taller on the wrist. Not an issue with a suit and shirt though.

So it's really your choice. There's enough difference to warrant two separate but similar models in the Rolex range, however not enough difference that you could be disappointed with any of them.

If you have more money available, you could head down the minefield route which is vintage watches, but I wouldn't recommend this straight away, unless you find a good one on SC.

Craftsman
    Remember you can always remove the cyclops (fish eye), just google it and you will see it is not uncommon. I intended to do it on my recently purchased 16800 but haven't got round to it yet.
    Last edited by neillp; 29th March 2016 at 16:01. Reason: Typo

^
    Looks perfect as-is. Give that Cyclops a chance a little while longer; I've gone from not liking it at all to finding that a Rolex's date display looks somewhat deprived and boring without it. :)

To the OP: Just get whichever one you think looks best. They're all good.

I used to dislike the cyclops, but my opinion has changed over time. I certainly wouldn't remove one these days.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Looks perfect as-is. Give that Cyclops a chance a little while longer; I've gone from not liking it at all to finding that a Rolex's date display looks somewhat deprived and boring without it. :)

To the OP: Just get whichever one you think looks best. They're all good.
    I know where you are coming from, the cyclops is actually growing on me, they are not as obtrusive as they look in close up wrist shots.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys this is all really helpful.

One question, can you replace the crystal on a seadweller?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchinU View Post

Well, rolex can , they usually change it when it's damaged.

Seadwellers are the only Rolex that must only be serviced by Rolex (as far as I know) because of the cost of the equipment needed to pressure test them. Subs can be serviced by any approved Rolex independant. Typical service is approx £440.

Personally I would look for a 16600 SD or a 16800 sub date. Both can be found for less than £4K

of the two always go SD.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    I'm not sure if this is an easy question to answer but what price reduction would you expect if the watch had no papers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Seadwellers are the only Rolex that must only be serviced by Rolex (as far as I know) because of the cost of the equipment needed to pressure test them. Subs can be serviced by any approved Rolex independant. Typical service is approx £440.

Personally I would look for a 16600 SD or a 16800 sub date. Both can be found for less than £4K

of the two always go SD.
    I think this changed last year Andy and only independents with a lapping machine and that have been trained on it by Rolex can now service non SD sports models, I also seem to remeber that the yachtmaster also has to back to kings hill.

This is why Duncan from Genesis can't service sports models ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think this changed last year Andy and only independents with a lapping machine and that have been trained on it by Rolex can now service non SD sports models, I also seem to remeber that the yachtmaster also has to back to kings hill.

This is why Duncan from Genesis can't service sports models ATM.
    Useful- many thanks

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    You could try something like this.....

Journeyman
    Aaahhhhh!!!

Stuck between a SD and a non date sub!!! Changed my mind 3 times this morning alone!!

Craftsman
    Aaahhhhh!!!

Stuck between a SD and a non date sub!!! Changed my mind 3 times this morning alone!!
    SD4000 all the way!

Aaahhhhh!!!

It's going to come down to how they feel on the wrist; the SD is notceably top heavy and thicker. BUT it has an engraved caseback, date and He valve, making it a much more interesting watch.

Trying on an older Submariner (16610, 14060) is a shock as they are so slim compared to modern oversized dive watches from Breitling, Omega or even Rolex themselves.

Journeyman
    Tried both of them on this morning, granted they were both brand new. Both very nice watches, both felt good on the wrist but the SD just wins it. One thing I have realised is that I'm not a cyclops fan at all.

that Cyclops is just part of the Rolex game.