closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some info from mappin and Webb re. New Daytona supply

Some info from mappin and Webb re. New Daytona supply

I had the misfortune to enquire at mappin and Webb bluewater today about putting my name down on the list for the new Daytona, (I knew/know it's going to be nigh on impossible to buy from ad, but thought no harm in trying). The foreign sales assistant basically said were not going to see any for 3 years and the old list is being wiped as the old model is being discontinued and they aren't allowed to put any more names on a list for the new Daytona. I said oh ok in that case will they go in the window then when you get them in? She said we won't see them for at least 3 years. I took this as bull and walked out on the spot. I wasn't happy with the answer so thought let me ring head office and voice my disdain over the obvious crap I was told. Had a call back from the manager who was a lovely lady and had a chat for around 20 mins regarding the new and old steel Daytona. According to her, they were in the dark regarding the new model right up until a few days after Basel at which point they were told that the old model is being discontinued and that they have been informed in the last 3 days direct from Rolex there is to be NO list for the new Daytona at all and supply is going to be extremely limited. (Of course we all know they were going to be in short supply). Apparently she only saw 4-6 steel Daytonas a year of the previous model and that the new model will be even more scarce. I asked her what her opinion was on why this was and she said she honestly didn't know if it was Rolex creating a buzz or that they haven't manufactured enough. Anyhow, she did say I can promise you within a few weeks everyone on a list will be getting a call telling them the supplying ad isn't allowed to have a list for the Daytona. Now ordinarily I would take this with a pinch of salt but this is a manager of one of the largest ADs who was calling me back regarding a complaint I'd made to head office and who sounded pretty convincing when she said she had spoken to Rolex personally In the last couple of days. So, maybe I was being fed more crap or maybe it was Rolex dictating to mappin and Webb and other ADs wont be affected, who knows? Just wanted to share what I'd been told...

(Oh and she said she wasn't allowed no list for the new airking either!)

So no AD's can take deposits for a Daytona?

Master
    Presumably just Rolex trying to create buzz and artificual exclusivity. What a business to be in, where you're making so much money, you can deliberately not make enough of an item you have people literally queueing up to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Presumably just Rolex trying to create buzz and artificual exclusivity. What a business to be in, where you're making so much money, you can deliberately not make enough of an item you have people literally queueing up to buy.
    Exactly. We literally cannot throw our money at Rolex for this watch.

Craftsman
    Does this mean that ANY Daytona is purely a 'must buy' if you're lucky enough to find one anywhere?

That does sound like nonsense, if a Rolex AD has one incoming there is no way they are going to just put it in the window without giving a favoured regular customer a heads up. So maybe they won't take a depositbut surely they would have some kind of pecking order about who they would offer these to.

My AD quoted me a waiting list of 24-36 months

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stomach View Post
    Does this mean that ANY Daytona is purely a 'must buy' if you're lucky enough to find one anywhere?
    Think I'll give the SS a miss and go straight to the Rose Gold/Choc 😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    That does sound like nonsense, if a Rolex AD has one incoming there is no way they are going to just put it in the window without giving a favoured regular customer a heads up. So maybe they won't take a depositbut surely they would have some kind of pecking order about who they would offer these to.
    Agreed. There will be an unofficial list comprising "inner circle" customers.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Exactly. We literally cannot throw our money at Rolex for this watch.
    And all on the basis of the words of a foreign sales assistant in a provincial mall OUTSTANDING!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    And all on the basis of the words of a foreign sales assistant in a provincial mall OUTSTANDING!
    But also from the manager at M &W Head Office?

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^^^

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Think I'll give the SS a miss and go straight to the Rose Gold/Choc 
    That was my thought tbh, only £15k at Iconic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I doubt that Rolex are 'deliberately' holding back. The world of forums is a narrow one, full of enthusiasts for Daytonas and other forum favourites. But Rolex doesn't make its real money from guys on forums...the big sales come from regular men and women buying stuff like Datejusts by the bucket load.
    The company can only make so many watches in any given month. Every new Daytona produced means another watch not produced.The accountants know what mix of production will maximise profits. if they made more money by switching production to Daytonas, they would do it like a shot. I'd be surprised if Daytonas made up 5% of their monthly sales.
    Which is why Rolex offer several hundred versions of the Datejust but a relatively small number of Daytona options.
    It's not a 'plot'....its just normal business. The only answer would be to buy yet more machinery and further increase overall production. But that means big new investment when the world economy is shaky....Rolex aren't stupid.
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th April 2016 at 17:51.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I doubt that Rolex are 'deliberately' holding back.
    I'm not sure. There is a scarcity value thing here (just look at the way De Beers restricts the diamond supply). I think you're right that they decide exactly how many Daytonas to make, and this number may be lower than the number they think they can sell.

Master
    There won't be a waiting list for the new AirKing either? Judging by the response around here that makes sense, they probably won't be needing one...

Craftsman
    There's an article on Hodinkee now that discusses availability of this watch.

I went into one of the bigger AD's shortly after the Basel announcement to enquire about putting my name down. Unfortunately the person I spoke to was fairly new and was trying to relay information but didn't really know what he was talking about and was subsequently trying to play Chinese whispers with someone out the back. I had a similar experience in another AD where the person I spoke to was equally clueless.
    It would be nice if people just admitted they didn't know what they were talking about and asked you to wait until someone who was clued up was available.
    Whilst the Daytona may walk themselves out the door you'd expect that they may consider that a customer willing to drop £8k on that particular watch may potentially be making more expensive purchases down the road.

I wonder if the limiting factor is how many Daytona movements they can make - after all the 4130 only goes into them. If they have the intention of bringing out a replacement for it sooner rather than later, then I suppose they wouldn't be inclined to invest in increasing the capacity of that production line?

Master
    they are deliberately restricting supply ofcourse they are. Look at the 5711 nautilus or try getting a birkin/Kelly from Hermes!

it is a classic strategy also remember that a Daytona is more complicated than ur average Rolex and hence costs more to produce I reckon the margins arnt good as the date just etc

Master
    That is interesting as I am on the the list of 2 AD's that I use and I am happy to wait my time. I like to wear the watch at home, always struggle to like a watch at the showroom. Only time will play but I will have one none the less.

Journeyman
    As you can see, I'm pretty new to this world of watches. Can someone explain or point me to an article that explains why this particular release of the Daytona is such a big deal?

I'm not dismissing it, I love the look of Daytona's..... just genuinely curious to know.

It certainly is a crazy world where people are trying to throw many thousands of pounds at what is only a watch and the arrogant, manipulative, power-hungry manufacturer sits back and plays with you all, almost making you beg them to let you have one.

I find it both sad and distasteful; sad to be played with like puppies craving attention and distasteful because so many people in the world can't afford food or shelter.

I know views like this aren't popular amongst many here but hey, it's how I feel.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, it applies right through the luxury market, not just to watches.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th April 2016 at 15:52.

Sounds a bit like putting your money into a spotty tea tray that could be withdrawn at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I find it both sad and distasteful; sad to be played with like puppies craving attention and distasteful because so many people in the world can't afford food or shelter.
    Fair enough, but no one's being forced to buy watches against their will, and the wealthy forgoing luxury products doesn't put food on the tables of the starving.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    There's a lot of hard dumping on jewellery chains in general. I've been on the receiving end of UK jewellery chain "service" before and I wouldn't trust them any further than I can throw them.

Grand Master
    It certainly is a crazy world where people are trying to throw many thousands of pounds at what is only a watch and the arrogant, manipulative, power-hungry manufacturer sits back and plays with you all, almost making you beg them to let you have one.
    Yes. The sympathy from the rest of the planet for the dreadful plight of the extremely demanding rich of not being able to buy high end luxury watches instantly right now is zero. In fact it's probably less than zero!

Master

I know views like this aren't popular amongst many here but hey, it's how I feel.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, it applies right through the luxury market, not just to watches.

Very true -we all live in our own bubbles where the value of commodities depend on their scarcity.

The good news is that VAT is levelled at 20% on all these purchases to buy Trident missiles for the poor, I mean to support a nicely civilised welfare state that ensures that no one starves in our Daytona-bereft land.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The good news is that VAT is levelled at 20% on all these purchases to buy Trident missiles for the poor, I mean to support a nicely civilised welfare state that ensures that no one starves in our Daytona-bereft land.
    Unfortunately that 20% is not levied on the various Russians, Arabs and Chinese who come to England to enjoy its rule of law and relatively enlightened social mores. Only locals must pay. Locals must also pay if they buy overseas too - nice work HMRC!

I knew there would be a justification for me reclaiming the VAT as I skip out of the country.
    Although sadly it seems the job of giving me money back has been farmed out to a third party and they take an admin fee from me.

Master
    Keep supply limited and demand high but I suspect we won't have any problem finding them for sale at a large premium once they arrive in the dealers and get flipped.

I wonder if there would be a ceiling for the premium that these will re-sell for. Once you hit a certain level you'll be surpassing what you can pick up a precious metal daytona for. Will be interesting to see what happens on release.

Craftsman
    I wonder if the limiting factor is how many Daytona movements they can make - after all the 4130 only goes into them. If they have the intention of bringing out a replacement for it sooner rather than later, then I suppose they wouldn't be inclined to invest in increasing the capacity of that production line?
    But why replace what is acknowledged to be one of the best movements ever made, by anyone?

I saw a couple of the new dial Day-Dates have hit the AD's already so can't be too long until the Daytona starts to arrive?

Grand Master
    By the time they are available to regular punters they will be £10k+ Relax and enjoy the plethora of other watches it'll be a few years before they are mainstream but no doubt someone will pay anything to have bragging rights
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Over the weekend, I was offered my name on one due in August for £9,500, with a £1k deposit to pay "closer to the time". I declined.

Master
    I was in a Fraser Hart this weekend and casually enquired whilst looking at a couple of other watches. I was told that you would only even be allowed on their list if you had bought from them before, and they still had enough demand for 4-6 years worth based on the expectation of getting 7-8 Daytonas a year and whether you wanted white or black (with white being more popular).

My name is currently on 3 lists, so I will update if I get the calls.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    WoS have been allocated 6 for the year and with over 10 customers that spend over a million pound a year asking you can do the maths on who is getting the first 2 years worth.

And again everyone wants to buy a watch that'll be around for the next 30 years, the wise money is in the old style
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I was in a Fraser Hart this weekend and casually enquired whilst looking at a couple of other watches. I was told that you would only even be allowed on their list if you had bought from them before, and they still had enough demand for 4-6 years worth based on the expectation of getting 7-8 Daytonas a year and whether you wanted white or black (with white being more popular).
    It's hilarious. Even if I had all the money in the world, this sort of nonsense would completely deter me from spending it on a Rolex. You can go out and buy equally exclusive pieces for similar money without having to do the secret masonic handshake just to even get on the waiting list, so why bother. I'll never understand it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    only a matter of time before your local AD holds a raffle, to win the chance to purchase the new Daytona for double RRP.

Master
    I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    Same case, same movement, same bracelet.
    The bezel has been swapped for a ceramic one and the sub-dials changed colour a bit, and that's it!

I had a 2008 white dial for a few years, every time I looked at it, it was WOW it's a Daytona, but every time I wore it? Just a nice chronograph, and that was about it.
    It's gone now and replaced with a PAM00523 ('needed' a white dial watch), and I'm much happier with it, the strap changing 'interactivity' the porcelain look of the dial, it's a joy to wear.

Grand Master
    Honest question, honest answers invited:

Is it the appeal of the watch itself or the appeal of the exclusivity that makes people want to own this watch and go on waiting lists etc?

I struggle to grasp how people can lust after a watch that they've never handled or had on the wrist.........maybe I`m missing a trick somewhere.

I guess there's the unlikely possibility that people might want to buy one and sell it on for a profit?

Paul

Master
    ^^^^^^
    With all the hype behind the revamped version with the existing hype of the still current model I think it's a bit of 4 types
    1. the guy who already owns one, but wants the latest version
    2. the guy that hasn't had one before (for whatever reason) but the revamp has now become appealing
    3. early adopter of anything new
    4. the speculator, who intends on turning a quick buck out of any of the three above

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Honest question, honest answers invited:

Is it the appeal of the watch itself or the appeal of the exclusivity that makes people want to own this watch and go on waiting lists etc?

I struggle to grasp how people can lust after a watch that they've never handled or had on the wrist.........maybe I`m missing a trick somewhere.

I guess there's the unlikely possibility that people might want to buy one and sell it on for a profit?

Paul
    Well it's pretty much identical to the existing Daytona so I think many people can guess how t will fit. Also the possibility of making a profit of u get one early like end of this year is pretty much guaranteed. There is definately a lot of hype generated by grey dealers who will be all out to get one and charge a ridiculous premium. Also a lot of dealers are withholding the existing Daytona also in the event they may also go up, that's still remains to be seen.

Master
    I like the marketing strategy - produce a variation in small quantities ensuring demand exceeds supply to enhance the feeding frenzy. Would only Rolex get away with this?

The fuss over this one model burnishes the whole brand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I like the marketing strategy - produce a variation in small quantities ensuring demand exceeds supply to enhance the feeding frenzy. Would only Rolex get away with this?
    Nope, seen it work for Mercedes on various models, the XJ220.

All steel Daytona's do seem to be rare. This might just be because the majority of Daytonas seem to be gold or white gold or platinum or steel and gold.

There are plenty of Daytona's in Cardiff at the moment, I counted 4 yesterday, all available for immediate purchase. (No all-steel ones though!!!!!! - I wonder why?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    All steel Daytona's do seem to be rare. This might just be because the majority of Daytonas seem to be gold or white gold or platinum or steel and gold.

There are plenty of Daytona's in Cardiff at the moment, I counted 4 yesterday, all available for immediate purchase. (No all-steel ones though!!!!!! - I wonder why?)
    Ooh I don't know maybe its some sort of conspiracy involving 'da man' and the illuminati