closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friends with fake watches

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    So why 'waste' his money on posters of the real, a few copies of the real, the collections of books etc, he could have saved up a bought 1 real piece?

But, I agree I wouldn't burst his bubble, that's just mean

I agree almost anyone can save for a real Rolex etc the hard part is keeping it once you have it.

Hard to justify wearing a £5k watch if you haven't enough money left a few days before pay day.

For some people dreaming of the real thing and wearing a rep/fake may be the best option

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post

For some people dreaming of the real thing and wearing a rep/fake may be the best option
    Wrong. They should buy a homage.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Maybe they just liked the look of the watch and it was cheap...

M.
    Possible, but why were they looking at fakes in the first place, if not to buy something with the 'right' name on it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Wrong. They should buy a homage.
    Correct. They should buy a homage, or if that short of cash, some food or utilities credit (whatever it's called)
    A person buying the fake in that scenario would really be a phoney. (always look at the shoes)

Possible, but why were they looking at fakes in the first place, if not to buy something with the 'right' name on it?
    When I was in Sharm, there were a lot of shops with windows full of watches. Of course I looked, I didn't know initially they were fakes (I guess some may have actually been genuine watch ADs, I don't know for sure).

I can see in that scenario, someone might say "Oooh, I like that", go in and haggle down to a price they're happy with and walk out with 'a watch'.

They may not actually be as obsessed with watch brands and logos as people on a watch forum...

A person buying the fake in that scenario would really be a phoney. (always look at the shoes)
    God give me strength!

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    So I have a few good mates that do like watches, when we meet up the conversation does normally turn to a watch one of us is wearing.

Thing is I like my homages and pilot watches which they do tend to admire but they still wear snide Rolex's or Omega's, now I normally just humour them and think well thats up to them if they are happy wearing fake but a conversation turned a bit awkward when a mate was saying how close and real his Rolex was to the real thing..

So I said don't you feel like you're trying to impress people with a look of money when in fact you wouldnt spend that kind of money on the real thing, I also said I would feel like a loss of self respect if I wore a fake as it would make me feel fake, needless to say it was a bit embarrassing and awkward but someone had to say it I suppose..

Would you tell a mate the same thing?
    LOL

I don't think I would, no.

If they were passing off a fake passport as real, that might be a different matter.

I think the telling phrase in your post is "a look of money". People who wear this or that expensive watch to affect "a look of money" are more likely to disapprove of replica watches, I think. They see it as some sort of cheating, no doubt.

Id say 99% of fake owners buy them for a bit of fun, like the look etc

Master
    You can buy a quite excellent Seiko for the price of a fake. A better watch, and an honest watch. It's quite striking how cheap a decent watch can be these days.
    I think I'd exclude stuff like Pannis because there is no attempt to brand the watch with a false name. Their Panerai copies don't have 'Panerei' written on them. But that's about the limit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You can buy a quite excellent Seiko for the price of a fake. A better watch, and an honest watch. It's quite striking how cheap a decent watch can be these days.
    There's no doubt a cheap Seiko would be a more honest watch (and a perfectly decent one), and in itself that might make it a 'better' watch to you, but a boggo Seiko 5 is a fairly crude piece of watchmaking.

I'd say it's flying in the face of fact to say that a Seiko 5 is a better quality watch than ALL fakes - It's probably better than fakes sold online at a similar price (let alone the initial asking prices in somewhere like Sharm!).

I'll admit I had a shoofty at a 'replica' forum when fakes were being discussed a while ago and followed a link or two. I was surprised at the the high prices being asked (hundreds of US Dollars) and people recommending this or that site - It struck me that anyone prepared to sell a fake watch wouldn't have too many qualms about ripping off online buyers, but I guess there's a balance between the profit on fakes and just stealing outright...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 7th April 2016 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thumbs View Post
    I think many people are simply not as into watches as those frequenting this forum and we tend to forget that sometimes. I'm sure for many people buying a fake is no big deal, nor is it sacrilegious.
    It's the other way round, actually. Most people would think you were an idiot for spending thousands on a watch. But if you got a fake for a few quid... well, then, you're smart! You've beaten the system!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    . Apparently he bought it 40 odd years ago whilst working in the Far East.

I was gutted when I realised it was actually a fake, For a quite old fake it keeps good time, the sweep is good, from a distance you could well be fooled. I've no way of knowing how old this replica watch is, or how well it's been maintained but in all honesty it's not far off of the accuracy of a couple of my Omegas or Fortis's
    I think that's quite remarkable.....a 40 year old fake that looks like the real thing, lasts like the real thing and is as accurate as the real thing!!!! One wonders whether the owner thought it was genuine or knew if it was fake - if he thought it was genunine, it might have explored Rolex's fabled water resistance as well!
    Remind me why we buy expensive watches again?????

My parents divorced when I was quite young. My mother's partner, who she spent the last 35 years with, died last year. She gave me his Rolex, saying "he would've liked this to go to someone who appreciates good watches". Apparently he bought it 40 odd years ago whilst working in the Far East.

I was gutted when I realised it was actually a fake, so was my Mum. She insisted on having it checked out by a dealer that knew more than me. I have it back again now and have worn it a few times. For a quite old fake it keeps good time, the sweep is good, from a distance you could well be fooled. If anyone ever asks, I would have to say fake, not genuine, as for sure the person that asks me would probably know that a day / date was only produced in precious metals and never in stainless steel.

Shame really as the old fella was one of life's good guys and this taints the memory slightly. I've no way of knowing how old this replica watch is, or how well it's been maintained but in all honesty it's not far off of the accuracy of a couple of my Omegas or Fortis's
    Here I think you have a genuine interesting story to go with a watch with good memories - I would focus on that

Craftsman
    I'd never judge a friend for wearing a fake watch...even if he can afford it..Who am I to lecture them on anything.....

Guillermo
    Last edited by torromoto; 7th April 2016 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    What's expense got to do with anything? We're talking about snides here (again).

Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    Who am I to lecture them on anything.....
    Lecture may be a bit strong, but if you're a friend you ought in my view to educate them on not being a buyer / wearer of fakes when there are better options.

After all if you can't tell a mate he's being a knob, who will?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I didn't know initially they were fakes (I guess some may have actually been genuine watch ADs, I don't know for sure).

I can see in that scenario, someone might say "Oooh, I like that", go in and haggle down to a price they're happy with and walk out with 'a watch'.

They may not actually be as obsessed with watch brands and logos as people on a watch forum...
    Really? What nonsense
    The only reason to go to those shops / markets is to buy fakes and I would say people on a watch forum are less obsessed with watch brands and logos, and more interested in the the actual item, movement, build quality, servicing etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It's the other way round, actually. Most people would think you were an idiot for spending thousands on a watch. But if you got a fake for a few quid... well, then, you're smart! You've beaten the system!
    Yeah, lol, I heard that from the odd person wearing a fake and comparing it to my real and how they are exactly the same blah, blah blah.
    My usual reaction is, we're not in competition, and what system?

Really? What nonsense
    The only reason to go to those shops / markets is to buy fakes and I would say people on a watch forum are less obsessed with watch brands and logos, and more interested in the the actual item, movement, build quality, servicing etc.
    Highlight covers your post nicely...

M.

My usual reaction is, we're not in competition, and what system?
    You know, the system. The one that keeps good folks down. It's a loose cabal of the major Swiss watch manufactures, national governments, Europe, the Bilderberg group, international communism, the MH370 hijackers, the CIA, the Masons, the people behind Lee Harvey Oswald, and the Bullingdon Club.

A fake watch is a blow for freedom!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Lecture may be a bit strong, but if you're a friend you ought in my view to educate them on not being a buyer / wearer of fakes when there are better options.

After all if you can't tell a mate he's being a knob, who will?
    Odd approach. One of the central definitions of "friend" is not "teacher" or "parent". By all means advise, but all these people lining up to tell their friends they're dicks for buying fakes may find they end up with fewer friends. Most people don't like being schooled by pedantic types, friends or not.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Why would anyone wear a counterfeit watch? - It's just grade 1 Del boy cheesy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My parents divorced when I was quite young. My mother's partner, who she spent the last 35 years with, died last year. She gave me his Rolex, saying "he would've liked this to go to someone who appreciates good watches". Apparently he bought it 40 odd years ago whilst working in the Far East.

I was gutted when I realised it was actually a fake, so was my Mum. She insisted on having it checked out by a dealer that knew more than me. I have it back again now and have worn it a few times. For a quite old fake it keeps good time, the sweep is good, from a distance you could well be fooled. If anyone ever asks, I would have to say fake, not genuine, as for sure the person that asks me would probably know that a day / date was only produced in precious metals and never in stainless steel.

Shame really as the old fella was one of life's good guys and this taints the memory slightly. I've no way of knowing how old this replica watch is, or how well it's been maintained but in all honesty it's not far off of the accuracy of a couple of my Omegas or Fortis's
    We had a similar situation with my Grandfather. My Grandparents went on a cruise, and while they were in Hong Kong he bought Longines watches for himself, my Grandmother and my Mum. "Couldn't believe the prices" is what I remember him saying.

When Gramps passed away Mum's watch needed repairing so she took it in, she also took along Gramps's watch to be valued........ Of course it turned out that the watches were all fakes. They looked great from the outside, the case, back, crystal, face and hands all looked like the real deal but once the backs were off it was immediately obvious to anyone who knew anything about watches.

I can remember when we told my Grandmother the news how upset she was, they genuinely thought they had bought kosher watches for a great price and of course it turned out not to be. Gramps was also one of life's good guys and I'm sure he would have been very upset to find that he had been sold some snide watches.

I can just picture him now having having a good old rant and a rave about it, had he known!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Some harsh opinions above...

A young semi skilled lad working with us adores watches, has collections of books and booklets and even posters on watches but he's never going to be able to afford an Omega, Rolex, Patek etc. even though it would be his dream purchase.

He has a few replica watches and he is very proud of them and he loves comparing them to the real thing.

Only an total cock would go out to burst his bubble.
    + 1

real friends with fake watches better than fake friends with real watches ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by loqv75 View Post
    real friends with fake watches better than fake friends with real watches ...
    Agreed, but I would also add real friends with real watches as an option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I think that's quite remarkable.....a 40 year old fake that looks like the real thing, lasts like the real thing and is as accurate as the real thing!!!! One wonders whether the owner thought it was genuine or knew if it was fake - if he thought it was genunine, it might have explored Rolex's fabled water resistance as well!
    Yep! The watch head isn't bad. The Jubilee bracelet is less convincing - which makes me think he must've known it was a snide. My Mum told me he used to send it away for servicing every five or so years which probably explains the accuracy and why Mum was convinced it was real.

So it's a nice fake watch, with only sentimental value.