closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PRS-50 Vs. Stingray 70

If I'm to be honest, the look of the Stingray was what had me worried about being on the list for the 50 LE. I just don't like it. Something about the relative flatness of it, and it's very bland character to my eyes.

Quite to my pleasant surprise, I think the 50 is incredible. The finishing, the acrylic bezel, the dial... the whole lot. I haven't a complaint about it from what I've seen.

Very different watches IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    I've just received a mint condition PRS 50 LE from a TZ seller ... I am a bit concerned about the bezel because it requires an enormous amount of effort to turn it ie contrary to other posts the bezel does not turn smoothly ... Is this indicative of a faulty bezel mechanism or will it ease up with use?

Advice will be appreciated

Cheers

dunk
    Mine turned rather easy from the start. I have to admit that it doesn't feel as sharp as my Seamaster Pro.

Cheers

dunk

Could it be that your mechanism is filled with debris??
    Perhaps it is possible to remove the bezel and clean the mechanism?

Eddie might have an answer to that question.
    I will ask Eddie on 7th January when he reopens ... It is a new watch so highly unlikely it has debris in it .... it requires far too much force to operate the bezel ... Am not going to attempt dismantling the bezel ... hope the warranty covers second user as watch is less than 2 weeks old ... original owner only had it for less than a week before offering it to me.

Cheers

dunk
    This is message just sent to vendor re the stiff bezel problem which now appears to have righted itself .. Have deleted vendor's name ... Hope it was just a 'blip' and do not understand how or why it was so stiff when it first arrived

Hi ----- , Re the stiff bezel ... Took watch out of my safe this morning to send back to Eddie and am amazed to find the bezel is nowhere near as stiff and can turn it with two fingers fairly easily .. even when on my wrist ... So no need to send it back ... unless the problem returns ... but definitely was not as easy as this last week when required considerable force and was almost impossible to turn when on my wrist ... Apologies for for any criticism etc in previous message ... will be mentioning on the forum that the problem has disappeared as soon as am certain it is not just an intermittent problem.

Happy New Year

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

So...

8)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Apprentice
    Sweet! Maybe last week you tried to turn it clockwise and this week counter-clockwise? LoL, jk! Have fun with the watch!

Very glad to read a happy ending to that one. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lartymarf
    Sweet! Maybe last week you tried to turn it clockwise and this week counter-clockwise? LoL, jk! Have fun with the watch!
    Yew fink I'm a sirry eariat ... or wot? ...

It was the demons ... ;-)

Yep ... havin' fun with it and it's keeping perfect time

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Re: PRS-50 Vs. Stingray 70

On the Bezel: The PRS-50 bezel doesn't have any cut on the metal to grip onto. Sometimes looking in the pictures it looks like there is but this is under the acrylic. Believe it or not but even without any cut on the metal it still turns easily enough under water using bare fingers. However with any greasiness on the fingers it is impossible to turn IMO.

On the Crown: Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet but the PRS-50 has a tiny recessed crown and the stingray looks like it doesn't. In this regard I think for some ppl, myself included, a point could go to the Stingray because the number one thing I don't like on my PRS-50 is the crown.

On the heft: I have really grown to like the PRS-50, so much so I have worn it every day this week and I never do that. The shape of the back means it sinks into the wrist nicely and hides a fair proportion of the thickness. This also means the weight is less of an issue, it sort of sticks in there.

I am considering getting the Stingray 50 with the cut edge bezel and 12/3/6/9 dial configuration, but Bill seems to be sold out at the moment. It looks very different to the PRS-50 and has many different specs so is maybe not a direct competitor IMHO, can't see why anyone shouldn't own both.

Very interesting review! Thanks!

Master

It's a great review alright. I'm still in love with my Stingray!

Journeyman

I have a TF watch and a MKii watch - just arrived LRRP. in terms of quality I would say I prefer the LRRP however it is a significantly more expensive watch. Both companies are great IMHO.

i like the prs 50 more than the stingray, because i like heavy watches :D its 130grams vs 90grams

Master

Great review and very helpful comparisons in significant areas, imho.

That the watch cannot be customized prior to being delivered gives a certain continuity as well as a consistent identity to the watch, and customization can always be effected later.

Whilst I like many aspects to the stingray including the slimmer profile, the fact that the original FF was even thicker than the PRS strikes me as more authentic. Also the Stingray whilst very smooth-looking lacks something of the character not to mention authenticity of Eddie's watch. In any case both very attractive and wonderful watches.

Br,

AP :)

;-)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.