closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince dead?

Master
    Unbelievably sad news and far too young. A lot of his music wasn't to my taste, but there's no denying he was one of the greatest musical talents of our time. I saw him a couple of years ago in Manchester and realised what an amazing rock guitarist he was.

RIP.
    Last edited by Cynar; 21st April 2016 at 20:08.

Blog Entries
    Blimey.... My wife just told me...

Miles Davis (one of my musical heroes) said that he was one of the best trumpet players he'd ver heard

Musical genius is bandeyed around... But, applied to this guy it's true

Written by Prince and sung by an unbelievably talented lady:

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    He wrote "I feel for you" preformed by Chaka khan

He wrote "manic Monday" by the bangles

He wrote for the bee gees, sheena Easton and many others too...

Very sad news.
    As has been said, 2016 has, thus far, been remarkable in how many of the best of us it has taken.
    Every month, it seems, l physically feel a wrench to my gut as another of the good ones dies.

And now Prince. 57...So bloody sad.

This is the strangest start to a year I can remember for a long time

A remarkable talent and a proper 'star', so far removed from the feckless dross that passes for celebrity nowadays. I never got to see him live but my wife did a few times and was, of course, totally smitten. Crazy times.

Master
    Some good coverage over on CNN right now

Does anyone have a good link to the superbowl set?
    Last edited by Schofie; 21st April 2016 at 21:10.

Jes what a year, seems all the outstanding of us are passing away? Keith Richards is still going strong!!
    RIP Prince

The problem with there being no virtually no Prince on YouTube is that I'm having to get off my arse and put actual CDs on. Not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Speaking of which, at 3'28 of this performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Prince takes over:

That performance is truly amazing - until Prince takes over its very er polite he then plays some completely unhinged and inspired guitar parts. Harrison's son is loving it, wheres Princes guitar go at the end?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post

here you go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

Banned
    Blog Entries
    rumor has it he died of HIV/AIDS related illness, and had stopped taking his medication recently

I found Roddy Doyle's Facebook post very touching
    (NSFW language)

Master

Unhappy

A year of huge shocks and its only April.

When I was growing up you lost the odd star of the time to 'lifestyle choices' etc but now I'm in my late forties it appears that almost every month the artists I filled my record collection with are passing away. Sadly I never saw Prince live but was poised to battle for the tickets to his gigs that were cancelled late last year, who knew that was the last chance.

RIP Prince. Thank you for your music.

Goodnight sweet Prince.

RIP Prince.

I was shocked to see this picture, I guess show business is a hard life style.

Master
    Not that hard as Prince probably the youngest there and he was 57. Getting to 60 in a lot of places and a lot of occupations is a result.

Fox News reported this morning that he was treated for a drugs overdose 6 days before his death.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

SB performance
    http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-princ...t-w-1772302774

sound quality not the greatest

So much talent - RIP

Gutted, he was totally unique and his back catalogue is one hell of a legacy. I'll be playing his music this weekend and very loud.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Fox News reported this morning that he was treated for a drugs overdose 6 days before his death.

Eddie
    I went a little mad at my dad last night when he suggested it may be drugs related (on the basis that Prince was a musician). Looks like an apology is in order :-(

Master
    I'd say let's wait until reports come through credible news channels, plus the coroner's report, before making assumptions. There are all kinds of rumours flying around and most of them sound pretty insane

I'd say let's wait until reports come through credible news channels, plus the coroner's report, before making assumptions. There are all kinds of rumours flying around and most of them sound pretty insane
    True. Fox News is hardly a credible source to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    That performance is truly amazing - until Prince takes over its very er polite he then plays some completely unhinged and inspired guitar parts. Harrison's son is loving it, wheres Princes guitar go at the end?!
    Petty just looks dazed and confused when Prince really lets loose; not sure if that is the 60s and 70s catching up with him, he is in awe of Prince's skill or a little miffed at being upstaged when Prince walks in front of him.

RIP Prince - a genuinely talented musician and unique persona.

I'm not sure how many of you will have seen this but it is Charlie Murphy, Eddie Murphy's brother, recounting meeting Prince:-

Not safe for work due to language and unfortunately, not the best quality:-

Prince responded to it with this album cover, which, imho, proves that he also had a great sense of humour:-

Last edited by AM94; 22nd April 2016 at 10:27. Reason: amended links

Another sad reminder that we all get another day older every single day and need to enjoy ourselves for the short while that we are here.

A decent 'jazzy-tribute' cover of Purple Rain by Gregory Porter on R2 around 9.20 this morning for those who missed it. You could hear how upset Jo Whiley was too last night on her show.

Incredibly talented artist.

57....ridiculous.

I hope he didn't kill himself with drugs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Good idea! You may have to wait a bit:

PRINCE ROGERS NELSON DEATH INVESTIGATION 0900 Release

The Chief Medical Examiner for Midwest Medical Examiners Office, on behalf of the Carver County Sheriff’s Office, will be performing the autopsy on Prince Rogers Nelson. The autopsy began at 9 a.m.

As part of a complete exam, relevant information regarding Mr. Nelson’s medical and social history will be gathered. Anything which could be relevant to the investigation will be taken into consideration. Midwest Medical Examiners Office will not release information until the exam is complete and all results are obtained. Gathering the results will take several days and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks.

Public information will be provided as soon as it is available in accordance with the investigation.

I was wondering that - into the crowd maybe? He's just so achingly cool whilst he's playing it too.

Very sad news .

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I was wondering that - into the crowd maybe? He's just so achingly cool whilst he's playing it too.
    Thinking about that today, i reckon its on a wire but its still really well done and smooth - alot could go wrong even on a simple 'trick' like that!

Master
    Thinking about that today, i reckon its on a wire but its still really well done and smooth - alot could go wrong even on a simple 'trick' like that!
    It's more likely more simple than that. He will have planned to throw the guitar in the same way as the lean off the stage, so would have had someone ready to catch the guitar

Master
    I saw him at the O2 started withe amazing Purple Rain, about20mins long, think that was the only song he played in full all night! just teased audience with hit after hit, glad I saw him live. pure genius.

I went to see him with my wife years ago, cakt remember which bemie - but. he popped up on a stage right in front of us during part of the show to perform Purple Rain - literally 2 feet away, wearing a purple suit with matching high heels! Watching him play guitar up close was mesmerising, and (although it sounds a bit crass) we were both struck by just how tiny he was! - but more than anything we left feeling like we'd just seen a modern day Mozart, a real privilege. What a shame he has died so young, whatever the circumstances.

Master
    I saw him a couple of times in the 80's - remember waiting for his famous encore - he appeared walking through the crowd in his dressing gown - I swear he played for another hour +
    Class

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

I hope he didn't kill himself with drugs.
    I'd be very surprised - he was a Jehovah's Witness, so no drugs.

Craftsman
    I have been to seven or eight of his gigs in small and large venues (The Roundhouse, Bagleys Warehouse right up to Wembley Arena and The O2). He was, by a long way, the greatest live perfomer I have ever seen, no one else comes close.

Craftsman
    I saw this posted elsewhere, I hadn't previously been aware that the song Purple Rain was in fact a one take live onstage recording (as were "I Would Die For You" and "Baby I'm a Star", these make up the final three tracks on this the album).

Apparently the original performance is 13 minutes long but was edited down to about 8 minutes 40 for a the album. All that were added were a few vocal overdubs and some strings.

It it can currently be seen here in full without the overdubs, along with more information about the recording.

https://m.facebook.com/bruce.forest1...11?pnref=story

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Petty just looks dazed and confused when Prince really lets loose; not sure if that is the 60s and 70s catching up with him, he is in awe of Prince's skill or a little miffed at being upstaged when Prince walks in front of him.

RIP Prince - a genuinely talented musician and unique persona.

I'm not sure how many of you will have seen this but it is Charlie Murphy, Eddie Murphy's brother, recounting meeting Prince:-

Not safe for work due to language and unfortunately, not the best quality:-

Prince responded to it with this album cover, which, imho, proves that he also had a great sense of humour:-

That video is the funniest thing that I have watched in years.

Master
    Just cooking dinner for the family - popped radio 2's 30 at 50 from 2009- great

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    I saw this posted elsewhere, I hadn't previously been aware that the song Purple Rain was in fact a one take live onstage recording (as were "I Would Die For You" and "Baby I'm a Star", these make up the final three tracks on this the album).

Apparently the original performance is 13 minutes long but was edited down to about 8 minutes 40 for a the album. All that were added were a few vocal overdubs and some strings.

It it can currently be seen here in full without the overdubs, along with more information about the recording.

https://m.facebook.com/bruce.forest1...11?pnref=story
    I'm surprised at this as well - I thought that it had been mixed as to sound like it's live, rather than (unless we're wrong) an actual one-take live performance - this make it even more wonderful.

Re-listening to his songs over the last couple of days, you really have to be impressed with the depth of his talent.

Him and David Bowie in one year really is a tragic loss to music. TBF (and with all due respect to DB's family etc) I wasn't quite as gutted with Bowie as 70 is at least a half-decent age (especially by musician standards), 57 is nothing these days.

A great loss, he was one of the greats.

There was some boy on the radio who had interviewed him and his entourage over a number of weeks and he said that apparently there is enough recorded material to release a new album of unheard music every year for the next 100 years..

A prolific writer, musician and artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    A great loss, he was one of the greats.

There was some boy on the radio who had interviewed him and his entourage over a number of weeks and he said that apparently there is enough recorded material to release a new album of unheard music every year for the next 100 years..

A prolific writer, musician and artist.
    I wouldn't say I was a HUGE Prince fan, but I recognise his talent (unlike Maria Carey's - Clearly I have a blind spot there! ) and like a lot of his stuff.

A huge loss to the world of music and, others have said, no age these days (even if the rumours of his living with a serious condition for some time were true).

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Video here is grainy but worth a watch - could be the first public performance of Purple Rain

http://antiquiet.com/music/2010/05/p...in-1983-video/

Considering many of today's artists can't actually play an instrument and the charts are full of X Factor crap
    like 1Direction - Prince really was the real deal....surely one of the most talented singer song writers ever.

I saw him play once at the O2- he was superb but I thought the gig was crap because it's such an
    appalling venue- rubbishy acoustics, could hardly see him on the stage and getting home from 02 late at night
    is a fiasco.

Master
    Wow, thanks for sharing!!!

Id never rated or listened to Prince since an early tv showing of "Purple Rain". I did'nt like it and didn't think much of him. This shows what I missed and I'm going to be doing a lot of catching up.

Prince was a control freak and there's very little live content of him online which is a shame because, even allowing for all the hit records he wrote, the stage is where his true genius really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    there's very little live content of him online
    Start here.

And please, put it on some decent (ie. not computer), speakers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rzt01

Going to admit it, this made me laugh wayyyy too much

Master
    A small article and a few pics from a tour:

http://www.dpreview.com/photography/...pher-brian-ach

Rob.