closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actors and Actresses who can't act for toffee

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    Can't believe some of the original real dross have not been mentioned, John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Norman wisdom, Burk dogard, Clint Eastwood, Sorry I've drifted into American haven't I.
    Can't agree with Robert Mitchum. He was excellent in Night of the Hunter, Cape Fear and Build My Gallows High.

As for the rest, most of them were character type actors, when you saw their names you what kind of film it was going to be. That's how it was in the studio system.

Ditto with Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney.

You'd never expect John Wayne to be a baddie for example.

Nowadays actors play all sorts of parts
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    About 90% of all actors?

Come on, hardly ANY can play anything but themselves.

This is almost a redundant thread, it's a bit like asking for a list of people in the world who can drink water... I'm sure there are a handful who can't, but you're asking the WRONG question by 180 degrees!

M.
    Very good point.

Funnily enough, this came up in a discussion at work a while ago.

Whilst there are certainly some who really can't act in any sense of the word (particular popstars trying their hand at acting - just watch 5 minutes of Spiceworld), there's definitiely a difference between acting in the sense of convincingly portraying the correct emotions at the right time, and acting in the sense of convincingly portraying a completely different character on screen. It's a rare talent to be able to do the latter, and the vast majority of actors are probably in the former category.

There are certainly some major names (and hugely sucessful "big name" stars, with many awards to their name), who can only really play themselves on screen, and so are just effectively playing the same character each time.

Many of the biggest names in Hollywood are really very limited in terms of acting range - it's not to say they don't have charisma, screen presence, say their lines convincingly etc, it's just that they don't really do it any differently in any of the roles they take. I think Sean Connery is a great example of this. He's always a physically imposing, gruff Scot whether he's playing a Russian submarine captain, an Irish-American cop, or an Egyptian-Spanish immortal. He's defintely a movie star, he's defintely got bags of charisma, but I don't think he ever "acts" in the true sense.

I thinik you can argue that perhaps too much screen presence and charisma can even be an obstacle to portraying a proper character. You often can't see past the Connery/Cruise/Pacino/etc persona.

I think comedic actors are actually much better at this than they get credit for. If you look at Steve Coogan, some of the quirks and nuances he puts into his characters are brilliant - I think he really becomes his characters. (Admittedly, comedic characters probably have more to build on).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Keanu Reaves!!!
    He's the first one that came to mind.
    Last edited by geran; 3rd April 2016 at 09:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    You might not agree with the selections but they very, very rarely reward outright shit.
    slightly off at a tangent but how did Adele get an Oscar for the Skyfall song ? I like a couple of her songs but that was bloody awful...

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Very good point.

Funnily enough, this came up in a discussion at work a while ago.

Whilst there are certainly some who really can't act in any sense of the word (particular popstars trying their hand at acting - just watch 5 minutes of Spiceworld), there's definitiely a difference between acting in the sense of convincingly portraying the correct emotions at the right time, and acting in the sense of convincingly portraying a completely different character on screen. It's a rare talent to be able to do the latter, and the vast majority of actors are probably in the former category.

There are certainly some major names (and hugely sucessful "big name" stars, with many awards to their name), who can only really play themselves on screen, and so are just effectively playing the same character each time.

Many of the biggest names in Hollywood are really very limited in terms of acting range - it's not to say they don't have charisma, screen presence, say their lines convincingly etc, it's just that they don't really do it any differently in any of the roles they take. I think Sean Connery is a great example of this. He's always a physically imposing, gruff Scot whether he's playing a Russian submarine captain, an Irish-American cop, or an Egyptian-Spanish immortal. He's defintely a movie star, he's defintely got bags of charisma, but I don't think he ever "acts" in the true sense.
    I read a good theory about this a while ago. Firstly, it states that the description for actors who basically play themselves is "star". I guess this goes back to the old Hollywood studio days, where they had their 'stars' on contract, and put them in their big movies. Secondly, was regarding range, and that there are two types of range - acting range and casting range.

Acting range is how many different characters they can play. Think Sir Ben Kingsley, Daniel Day Lewis.

Casting range describes the different types of film/role they can be cast in. Tom Cruise is the obvious example of someone with a large casting range - basically the same 'Tom Cruise' character fitted into Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Jerry Maguire and A Few Good Men. Tom Hanks and Will Smith probably also fit into this category.

Gary Oldman would be an example of someone who has both acting and casting range (i,e, George Smiley, Commissioner Gordon, Sirius Black).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Tom Cruise is the obvious example of someone with a large casting range - basically the same 'Tom Cruise' character fitted into Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Jerry Maguire and A Few Good Men.
    All four characters from the movies mentioned above are very different characters.

Not a fan of Henry Cavill as Superman :/

mind you, definitely better than what we could have had with Nic Cage (also over-rated) http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/10/89...comic-con-2015

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    Not a fan of Henry Cavill as Superman :/

mind you, definitely better than what we could have had with Nic Cage (also over-rated) http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/10/89...comic-con-2015
    How did I not know about this before? Especially as this is apparently the infamous abandoned Kevin Smith Superman project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aS-xw8Jgy0

(NSFW for language but hilarious - well worth the 20 minutes)

well did you also know that Cavill auditioned in 2004 for Superman? this eventually became superman returns. sorry, I am a massive comic book geek!

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/super...superman-movie

This Austrailian clown

Why has no one mentioned Will Smith
    Got to be the worst and the most irritating

Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    Danny Dyer

Ryan Gosling (although I enjoyed Drive)

Halle Berry

Will Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerover View Post
    Why has no one mentioned Will Smith
    Got to be the worst and the most irritating
    He was one of the first I thought of as well.

Keanu Reeves,
    Nicholas Cage,
    Vinnie Jones,

When I mentioned this thread to my youngest son he immediately said, "Keanu Reeves".
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    slightly off at a tangent but how did Adele get an Oscar for the Skyfall song ? I like a couple of her songs but that was bloody awful...

How did Sam Smith get an Oscar for his written-in-20-mins-allegedly, breathy-voice, whiny, dirge fest?

Ooh ooh. Can we do a "singers who can't sing for toffee" thread next? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Turn off the auto-tune and I fear that it would be the vast majority of modern 'artists'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    You can if you wish, go right ahead :eagerness

The entire cast of Hollyoaks.

If it wasn't for the annual calendar of the female cast the show would have been cancelled for sure...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459878870.917528.jpg

Jason Statham. Love his work, mostly, but its the same performance every time.

In defence of Keanu, some of his more recent stuff is damn good John Wick and especially Street Kings are ten notches above his usual pretty boy hippie style. Anyway he's an awfully nice fella so gets a pass from me

Someone who jumped into my head off the back of another thread, quite possibly the worst acting I've seen in quite some time...

Chandler Riggs aka Carl from The Walking Dead

Okay he's young (started in the show around age 10) but FFS he was/is absolutely awful!!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    In defence of Keanu, some of his more recent stuff is damn good John Wick and especially Street Kings are ten notches above his usual pretty boy hippie style. Anyway he's an awfully nice fella so gets a pass from me
    From me too, he has had a pretty tough life - a stillborn baby and then girlfriend killed in a car accident. And he rides a Norton Commando.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Someone who jumped into my head off the back of another thread, quite possibly the worst acting I've seen in quite some time...

Chandler Riggs aka Carl from The Walking Dead

Okay he's young (started in the show around age 10) but FFS he was/is absolutely awful!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459888084.026809.jpg

Pinocchio - completely wooden

Journeyman
    Hayden Christensen (Star Wars). Worse acting than you see in primary school nativity plays.

Nicholas Cage
    Wesley Snipes
    Emma Thompson

Adam sandlar

Blog Entries
    Ving Rhames, Vin Diesel to add to the list of "action" movie stars already mentioned, most of whom would fall in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Ving Rhames, Vin Diesel to add to the list of "action" movie stars already mentioned, most of whom would fall in this category.
    Can ANY of the 'Action' movie stars act?

M.

Blog Entries
    The only one that comes to mind is Liam Neeson - though he's not really an out-and-out action star, just seems to have Taken to it quite by happy coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    The only one that comes to mind is Liam Neeson - though he's not really an out-and-out action star, just seems to have Taken to it quite by happy coincidence.
    Yeah, I wouldn't really see him as an 'Action' star, more an actor who does some Action movies (also see Sean Penn in The Gunman or even Bruce Willis, who was better known for comedy-drama initially).

M.

Top of my list is Daniel Radcliffe. Just dreadful. Yes, he's improved -but he has now had years of practice, been cast in films where he can watch amazing actors at work up close and take their advice and guidance. With all that it is hardly surprising he can now act a little.

Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    This is a shame because I think the guy is pretty funny in his films.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    First person i thought of was Dev from corrie.

Quote Originally Posted by asi17 View Post
    First person i thought of was Dev from corrie.
    I think Dev is a gifted actor when compared to Anthony Cotton from Corrie.

If we're on soaps, the (ex?) druggy daughter of the farmer woman in Emmerdale, she's just turned back up and jesus she's awful

Brighty

Talking of Coronation Street, it must be 20 years since I last saw an episode (i.e. was in the same room reading a newspaper while it was on the telly), but I remember a character called Raquel. I'm watching the same actress - Sarah Lancashire - in a recent BBC series called Happy Valley and I must say she is excellent in it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Pinocchio - completely wooden

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Nicole Kidman. Absolute pants!

Emma Thompson

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    All four characters from the movies mentioned above are very different characters.
    And yet you can't tell them apart by his acting! Only from the lines he's saying.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackett.dp View Post
    Take your pick.....

I saw Steve McFadden (Phil Mitchell) when he was a young lad at drama school in an end of year production.

He was BY FAR the least talented actor in his year. Just goes to show.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    And yet you can't tell them apart by his acting! Only from the lines he's saying.
    Sorry, I disagree.

Jackie chan

Danny dyer agreed.

All of coronation street. Easiest way to tell is to just listen to it without watching the screen. It's total banality expressed by shocking actors.