closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: hairspring app?

Master

hairspring app?

Used for timing a watch on a Apple device is something like the hairspring app any good?

Just for fun and not for serious diagnostic work

thanks.

Craftsman
    I got the app but not sure if it works

I think the accuracy of this kind of app depends significantly on the quality of mic used- needs a good SNR to hear the insides of a watch. Maybe a quiet room helps too.

I think these apps work better than a lot of people think, even with just the mic in my £30 headphones. I've begun testing the Watch Tuner app on some of my different watches. The quietest watch that I have is a JLC Master Geographer. Watch Tuner recorded a 12.7s pd gain from about 2 minutes of sampling (repeated a few times to check consistency). Timing the watch over several 24 hour periods using Watch Tracker recorded a rate gain per day of 12.3 seconds. I don't have any way of checking the beat (0.5ms) or amplitude (327 deg). I have tried with other watches with reasonable results but not tested them systematically.

Obviously a serious watchmaker wouldn't get much use out of these apps but for less than £10 I've found them interesting and also helpful to me in basic regulation of some of my cheap simple watches.

And btw, yes, the JLC needs a service :).