closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I changed my mind...Yachtmaster and Day Date/

Master

I changed my mind...Yachtmaster and Day Date/

I ordered a 116655 Yachtmaster, the one with the rubber strap and Everose gold. Due this week. But I changed my mind, and ended up spending even more.
    So now I am wearing a white gold Day date 40, with silver 'striped' face, which the dealer had in stock. I chose white gold because it avoids the 'bling' quality of the yellow and everose versions (I hope!). My partner didn't really like the Yachtmaster; but crucially, I wanted the new 2355 movement.
    I am having to sell yet another watch to fund this; but I am telling myself that quality not quantity is the key.
    Once I have worked-out how to post pictures, and borrowed my partner's I pad camera, I'l try to put up a few wrist shots.
    I wore it to bed last night, and woke up several times to put the light on and admire it. I still can't believe |I spent so much, even if all of the cash came from selling other stuff.
    My partner has written the date in her diary, she says she wants to see how long I keep it. I've said 'forever'. She just grinned.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd March 2016 at 11:22.

Ahhh, I was looking forward to photos of that stunning Yachtmaster.

The Day-Date is a little too bland for my tastes but no doubt a true classic. Enjoy it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Ahhh, I was looking forward to photos of that stunning Yachtmaster.

The Day-Date is a little too bland for my tastes but no doubt a true classic. Enjoy it...
    Well, I know what you mean. But the 'blandness' was one reason for the choice. These watches are so frighteningly expensive (to me anyway) and you tend to take a bath with the gold stuff on resale. It's not like selling a nice SS Sub.
    I admit it, I lost my nerve.' Bland' feels safer, and I do love the watch now I own it. Just taking it out for a walkies in the sunshine. I'l probably walk into a tree while staring at my wrist. .

Have I got the right combination?

Master
    Very good indeed. I do fancy a day date. The white gold would be a good understated choice and hopefully reduce snatching attempts if that bothers you. (Would bother me). Pity they don't do a steel version. I would fancy the everose but it is a little blingy. Enjoy your top drawer purchase. Should see you out?

Great watch and white gold does tend to fly under the radar. I hope you'll be happy with it but I get the impression (possibly wrongly) that it's a head over heart decision which, if you're anything like me, usually ends badly!

I certainly hope I'm wrong!

nice DD much more discrete and wearable than a yellow gold. Enjoy this one!

Master
    Bland? It’s absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Have I got the right combination?
    Yes, white gold with a silver/grey stripe on the facia. In the sunshine it is wonderful. Hope to load pics later today.
    Discovered that Rolex now require the AD to send pictures of the guarantee card with the rest of the paperwork, to Rolex HQ. I presume they all go on file.

COngrats. Pics would be good.

Master

The new watch.....

Excellent choice Peter. A nice weight to carry around with you and useful complications too

Prodding around I could see that there's a fair difference between list price and Iconic price - through the full price return etc, were you able to cross that gap to a similar degree?

Master
    I was happy with the deal. Above all, I wanted to buy from a proper AD.

That looks great. Congratulations on your choice of dial combo etc and purchase decision.

Sharp looking day-date there!!

Craftsman
    Really really lovely. Pure elegance. Well done

Congratulations. A bit more under the radar compared with the YM.

Craftsman
    That is one gorgeous watch, congratulations. I do like the Rolex fluted bezel, it gives the watch a lot of character.

Congratulations Peter the DD is without doubt one of my favourite Rolex pieces.

And I have been lucky to have own three.

Hopefully you will prove SWMBO wrong ;)

Craftsman
    Made me laugh that you woke up, turned the light on to look at your watch.

if I tried that trick I'd end up with a swift big toe up the Khyber

Lovely watch though, congrats

Master
    Nice choice, very different to yachtmaster, I can't imagine sleeping in a watch that expensive, I'd be worried about twatting the headboard or bedside table in my sleep.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Nice choice, very different to yachtmaster, I can't imagine sleeping in a watch that expensive, I'd be worried about twatting the headboard or bedside table in my sleep.
    Well, I'm sleeping with it on tonight; my partner is away so there's no problem about putting on the light to check it's still there. She's seen it on 'facetime' and approves. Mind you, her own suggestion was for a Lange and Sohme 'Richard Lange'' Which makes the Day Date seem reasonable.
    The more I wear it, the more I like it. I'l settle down before too long, as we all do. Anyone seen the new Grand Seiko ceramic sports GMT watch? 46mm but gorgeous. It's fortunate I'm out of the game.
    Err....

Master
    The WG DD40 is stunning and a very strong personal temptation. It would be the blue dial for me. I love the silkiness of the bracelet and the weight of it. Congratulations!!

Craftsman
    Gorgeous watch. Keep it forever.

Great choice and thanks for the pic

I saw the yachtmaster in the flesh today and FWIW I believe you made the right decision. Lovely though it is, I'd probably get bored with it whereas I could see myself keeping the DD forever.

Lovely watch , I like subtle pieces like these , especially in this day and age where yg / rg attracts attention for the wrong reasons .

To the non wis it's a stainless steel datejust , I have a 36mm wg dd on oyster and it's a watch I wear a lot and can honestly say no one has noticed it in the 5 yrs I've owned it bar a dentist at Wimbledon who was sitting next to me at the 1/4 finals the yr Murray won it. He was wearing a 114270 exp 1 and said that is one fine timepiece young man. During the service break we had a wee chat about watches 

Master
    That's a beautiful dial, case material combination
    - much more subtle, understated and under the radar than yellow or rose gold.

I've always thought that the DJ and DD were a little passe, but I think with the right case/dial/bezel/bracelet combination, they are a classic watch.

Congratulations

Blog Entries
    I do like that. I'm always a sucker for stripey dials. I've long wanted a yellow gold Day-Date but that white gold has an increasing appeal to me.

Journeyman
    Hi Paskinner,

It is now a month since you made your purchase and the switch to the day date. Are you pleased with your decision and what are your thoughts on the watch after a months ownership ?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

The new watch.....
    Lovely watch- congratulations.
    I've always considered the Day Date as the Godfather of the range.
    The president bracelet is the best you can get and DD's simply ooze quality.
    I have a 41mm yellow gold DD with champagne dial and baton markers-
    it's bling but I don't care-I love it.

I've only actually seen two DD2's in the wild- once in posh restaurant in Mayfair
    and once in Ibiza......this is the watch of the international jet set >

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    Hi Paskinner,

It is now a month since you made your purchase and the switch to the day date. Are you pleased with your decision and what are your thoughts on the watch after a months ownership ?
    Greetings; I haven't posted a new picture because the replacement watch looks identical of course. I am pleased at the way my AD and Rolex finally solved this issue. It's a delight to have the watch.
    But, a guilty little secret; I haven't been wearing it much. I have a new Grand Seiko quartz diver watch (SBGX 117) and I just love wearing it, so that's been on the wrist at least half of the time. It was the people on TZ who put me on to Higuchi, so it's all their fault.
    In the longer term, I will love the Day Date, it is very elegant (to my eyes anyway) although sensitive to spec. If you aren't careful you end up looking like Arthur Daley. Anyway, now I feel guilty so I am going to put the Rolex on right now.
    What interests me is that the 117 at literally a tenth of the price, gives me every bit as much fun. Good watches are good watches, whatever they cost. But you all know that.

Nothing wrong with Arthur Daley!

Journeyman
    Subtle. Nice. (The OP's)