closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you like to live in the UK given the choice?

Master
    Bath has taken some stick on this thread. I grew up there and visited every week or two for 40 odd years. True it has changed - too many tourists and no 'off' season but it's great to be where you can walk from one end to the other in less time than it takes to walk to my nearest tube station!
    The old bus station has been rebuilt into a modern shopping area of some quality and looks very smart. Waitrose is now enormous and even has a sushi bar.
    Electrification of the line to Paddington is likely to push house prices up even further. Wouldn't call the place unfriendly though, but it has some lovely memories for me.

Kensington Palace Gardens would do, I suppose

With the exception of York and Richmond absolutely none of the places mentioned have any appeal to me; the idea of country village life makes me shudder!

I've never been to Britain, but I hear it's quite 'homey' around Constitution Hill and The Mall.

Where would you like to live in the UK given the choice?

The South Hams in Devon, that’s why I’m here.

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Ilkley or Harrogate.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Cornwall. Or possibly round the Cheltenham/Gloucester area as an alternative.

I love Bath but I wouldn't live there again. I lived there for 6 months once and,as Simon says, the traffic is terrible and there are a load of scrotes from the surrounding estates. I would also agree that the people who live there aren't the friendliest bunch in the world.

I also like Winchester but,again,wouldn't choose to live there for two reasons. Firstly,I couldn't afford to buy a house I would want there. Secondly,there are some very shifty people live in Winchester....very shifty. They know who they are.

Done London.
    Here is about perfect.
    The cherry on top of the icing would be Eday.

Its in the north...................

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    So after 6 months I moved to Tetbury in Gloucestershire, which is a wonderful part of the UK
    Hello from Tetbury, it will have changed a bit they are building a lot of new homes on the road to Cirencester, a couple of pubs have shut too :(
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 4th May 2016 at 17:52.

Another vote for Bath here. A truly beautiful place.

Currently live in Kingston Upon Thames by the river. It is absolutely the loveliest place I've lived in London (the others being Kensington, Acton, Streatham and Balham).

I predict prices will go absolutely nuts here (or even more crazy) as people find out just how nice the area is and that actually it’s a nicer place (IMHO) to be in than Richmond, Putney etc. Beautiful Riverside, fantastic shopping, brilliant schools, the 2 biggest parks in London (Richmond and Bushy) both a 10 minute walk away.

I however will be leaving within the next 12 months to move from a 2 bed flat to a 4/5 bed house somewhere like Banbury. The capital appreciation on the 2 bed flat over the last 30 months will pay for 80% of the cost of said house which is nuts, and I would be amazed if Kingston didn’t go up another 15% in the next 12 months as people surely wonder why it’s still cheaper to live in than Putney and Richmond.

Live in Yorkshire,but worked for long periods in loads of places,often find myself in London,Kensington/chelsea/Fulham and I quite like it ,but it's like babysitting someone else's child you can't wait to give it back,I can't wait to get back home,everything you need is here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Hyde Park will do nicely thanks.

Currently live in Surrey, which is fine for now. But if I had the chance to move anywhere in the UK, I would choose either Stamford (Lincolnshire) or somewhere in the Lake District (but not Windermere, Ambleside or Keswick towns)

I hope to one day make this dream a reality

John

Craftsman
    Anywhere on the Isle Of Skye will do me just fine.

Master
    In Somerset, in the house I'm sat in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    Guernsey. We have a 3 yr old and a 3 month old and can't think of anywhere less stressful and beautiful to let them grow up.

I'm sure however, they would be bored stiff (when they get older).
    Which isn't UK of course. Likewise my adopted home of the Isle of man where I have had a home for the last 28 years and which will be my chosen place to retire if I ever do that.

But that said (and I have say it sotto voce as a non-dom) I love having my pied a terre in London. But that is on the basis that I'm there for a couple of days every month, no more.

Like Bloater who I know exactly what he means about relaxing when you go past the Devon county sign and would like to be here.....

and Artistmike I think I'm already in my favourite place a small village in North Devon (though sadly no pub nearby)

I'm another incomer though having been born in London, Richmond and Chiswick, then Home Counties then many years in a now very busy Brighton....

3 years ago now in a pretty valley in a converted barn with only one neighbour (also just moved from North London)

Yes it could rain a bit less but when I go back to London or Brighton I just want to be back here....

Blaenau Ffestiniog - because it's a great name.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You really don't want to live in the Llynfi valley these days. There's nothing here.
    I know that the place is going downhill business-wise but that's not a problem from my perspective. I'd be earning my money elsewhere so diminishing local commercial activity doesn't necessarily bother me: It just means better value properties.

Note that I also mentioned the Afan valley and that was and is even more bleak -- other than Port Talbot (if we include that in the Afan) it has never had a centre of (non-mining) commercial/business activity, like Maesteg in the Llynfi used to be.

The reason I like the Llynfi is that road and rail links to Swansea, Cardiff and thence to London are absolutely excellent and you can walk straight into the hills and as far as you want. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I've never been to Britain, but I hear it's quite 'homey' around Constitution Hill and The Mall.
    Hehe... an apartment in St. James appeals, now you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Currently live in Kingston Upon Thames by the river. It is absolutely the loveliest place I've lived in London (the others being Kensington, Acton, Streatham and Balham).
    I used to live in Norbiton and I agree: It was a lovely place. I was close to the south western corner of Richmond Park and hugely enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Blaenau Ffestiniog - because it's a great name.

Drove through it ,didn't take too long ,and yes the names the best bit

Master
    Lee Bay, North Devon for me. In the Old Mill House:

Master
    Another for North Devon. I was born here, grew up here, moved away and travelled the world when younger and came back.

It's beautiful and if we had better weather I don't think people would go abroad so much, or at all really.

Dolgellau or Betws-y-Coed would be my choix for the Christmas chalet. Best roads to get adrenalin pumping.

Blog Entries
    Easy one for me if not my current location would be York. Love the city and spend at least a weekend each year. Thinking about buying a flat in York.

Master
    I quite like it where we are in the corner of north Dorset bordering with Somerset and Wiltshire. My boss lived outside Salisbury for many years but recently down sized and moved into the village bit a few hundred yards south of the Cathedral. Its a tiny area but just about the nicest and most conveniently useful location I think I know of in the country. Its already an expensive area for the south west but would become obscenely so if more knew about it. The other area I have always fancied is the new forest close to Lymington, bit of a trap for the monied though and much like everywhere that is nice on the south coast just too busy in the summer.

Added Google street view of where I am talking about in Salisbury:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.06...7i13312!8i6656

If one follows the road towards the Cathedral, then hangs a left on foot its no more than maybe another few hundred yards through the Cathedral's grounds and into the city centre.
    Last edited by NJH; 4th May 2016 at 21:35.

I pick Whitby. To be more specific, my house in Whitby. It's a two minute walk to a lovely pub and a further two minutes to the beach. What's more there is nothing between my house and... Norway I guess... other than the occasional mediocre golfer or seagull.

As a place to live and bring up small people it's jolly nice and being in Yorkshire is just the icing on the cake :)

Master
    I've lived in a few places in the South East but mainly coastal towns like Brighton, Eastbourne and Worthing. I really like Bath, the Cliftonville area of Bristol and York but I just love living by the sea and everytime I've moved away from the coast I do miss it, so on that basis I'd choose Torquay.

Blog Entries
    Our eldest son settled in York having studied at the university and we visit a lot. We have thought about buying there so we have a home close to grandchildren.

For me, very happy on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.

Journeyman

Cool

Wigan for me great pies and you can get a cracking pint with a head for £2.50

Anywhere but central London. What a ball ache!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I pick Whitby. To be more specific, my house in Whitby. It's a two minute walk to a lovely pub and a further two minutes to the beach. What's more there is nothing between my house and... Norway I guess... other than the occasional mediocre golfer or seagull.

As a place to live and bring up small people it's jolly nice and being in Yorkshire is just the icing on the cake :)
    I'm guessing the white house? Overlooking Sandsend.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I'm guessing the white house? Overlooking Sandsend.
    Spot on :)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Hehe... an apartment in St. James appeals, now you mention it.
    Mark, I was thinking of something a bit more..."palatial."

Spot on :)
    Basically live next door to me then ;)

Funny how we're all different. I recently left London (or more specifically Kingston Upon Thames, mentioned as a fantastic place by an earlier poster) after nearly 20 years as I was absolutely sick of the place! - too many people, too many cars, ridiculous prices for very average houses - lots of lovely shops and places to spend money on expensive Coffee but none of that is of interest to me or the family any more! - now up in Norfolk which is the polar opposite, a breath of fresh air in so many ways. Having spent most of my life living and working in and around London - mostly Soho - I can genuinely say I just don't get the attraction of living down South any more - but I've never really been a comfortable urbanite, I like a bit of space and privacy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I like a bit of space and privacy
    One of the contrary things about city living in my view is that it is the best way to obtain practical privacy. In small towns/villages, everyone seems to know everyone's business. But here in London I have only the vaguest clue who the people in my street are. They come and go all the time. It's a great place to be private.

As for space, I think it depends. There are open spaces of course (especially around Kingston) but that might not be the kind of space you meant.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th May 2016 at 04:15.

Deepest darkest Dorset, after watching River cottage I'm tired of city living and want the good life!

Journeyman
    Down on the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall (though not Lizard village itself). Less stark than north Cornwall. Lovely beaches. Quiet outside high season. To use a cliche it's a like going back in time to how most of the country used to be.

Take the kids to Flambards adventure park and while you're there you can watch the activity at RNAS Culdrose next door!

- - - Updated - - -

Down on the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall (though not Lizard village itself). Less stark than north Cornwall. Lovely beaches. Quiet outside high season. To use a cliche it's a like going back in time to how most of the country used to be.

Take the kids to Flambards adventure park and while you're there you can watch the activity at RNAS Culdrose next door!

Just in the process of getting a flat in London so we have a base in the UK as one by one the kids start senior school in the UK.

Ultimately a few years down the road I see myself spending winter here in Turks and Caicos and summer in London- or exploring around Europe using London as a base.

I expect at least another 10 to 15 years full time in the Caribbean before I can do that.

Sent from my iWatch using magic

Just idle thinking, I wonder if anyone has attempted to cost up the total value of property in the UK ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Rural East Yorkshire.

Close to the motorway network and mainline trainstations. I have lived in various locations in the UK, where we live now is the place I grew up in - there's no place quite like home. I still get that feeling when I'm on the motorway 5 minutes from 'home'.

Big cities don't do anything for me. OK to visit, but I simply wouldn't want to live in one.

Master
    I find myself utterly absorbed in the magnificent scenery every time I go up to Scotland so quite like the thought of living up there some day.

Alternatively North Norfolk where my parents live has a very different pace to it compared to living in a city so would quite like to live there too.

I do enjoy a visit to cities sometimes like London but not sure I could put up with the noise/pollution/crime/laughable property prices on a daily basis. Happy to just remain an occasional visitor to places like that :)

Master
    One good thing about London. As an old fart I now have a free travel pass which extends across the whole of greater London from Watford in the north to Croydon in the south, not that anyone would want to visit either. However it has saved me hundreds of pounds so far. Other than that......

Basically live next door to me then ;)
    Blimey. I'll have to warn the wife then ;)

Putney village house, if money not an issue. Idyllic place in the heart of the heath. Great pub.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd have to second the Cotswolds. Although there are possibly more beautiful places in the country the combination of countryside living along with access to good cities/towns and reasonable traffic levels is fantastic. I've not found anywhere better since I moved away.

From a pure economy (cheap houses/relatively high wages) and scenery point of view, Scotland is amazing, but the weather here deserves it's poor reputation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just idle thinking, I wonder if anyone has attempted to cost up the total value of property in the UK ?
    Yes, I recall reading an article about this fairly recently.

I just had a look for the article but couldn't find it. Not sure if it was on the BBC, Guardian, Independent, or Telegraph. I did find this from 2003 though: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3354649.stm

In perpetuity.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blimey. I'll have to warn the wife then ;)

Too late ;)

Too late ;)
    Can you tell her to pick up some milk on the way back from yours, we're nearly out of semi-skimmed...