closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where would you like to live in the UK given the choice?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Can you tell her to pick up some milk on the way back from yours, we're nearly out of semi-skimmed...
    😂😂👍

Craftsman
    The Lake District, just outside either Keswick or Ambleside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I can genuinely say I just don't get the attraction of living down South any more - but I've never really been a comfortable urbanite, I like a bit of space and privacy
    Please don't conflate 'London' and 'The South'. Round here is not so different to Norfolk just not so flat.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I made my choice 14 odd years ago after visiting Edinburgh for a long weekend and moving up from London 2 weeks later.

I love it here. I'd happily take a cabin in the highlands as a weekend abode though.

Good question. I think the most beautiful county in the UK is Dorset, but very happy in South Wiltshire.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Love where I currently live in Colchester and suits our current lifestyle, however once the children leave we will be looking at a more rural location on the Essex / Suffolk border where there's hidden some of Britain's most beautiful locations and best kept secrets.

A lot of people mention places they've been to and enjoyed on holidays, but, whilst I loved a week in Lochaline, living in a cottage right on the edge of the Loch and the Sound of Mull, I know that the reality of driving for an hour to buy anything but the most essential items or driving for 1.5 - 2 hours to get to an airport to fly anywhere, would soon take the shine off.

The same for some lovely spots in Cornwall or the Lakes, not to mention the droves of tourists that swarm all over the place for half the year (Another reason I wouldn't want to live in Central Bournemouth these days).

A lot of places seem great for a visit, but I suspect they'd be less idyllic if you lived there full time (Guernsey got a mention recently too and we had a GREAT holiday there a couple of years ago, but again, whilst I could imagine living there, I suspect it'd not be as great as it seemed - A friend of mine DID live there for a year and said that was exactly her experience).

M.

The best place to live ? As far away as possible from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    The best place to live ? As far away as possible from the UK
    You have some way to go then...

M

I would go for a rural village in Hampshire, within 10 minutes drive of a mainline station to London. Unspoilt countryside on your doorstep. A few reasonable size towns within a half hour drive. London and choice of airports about an hour away. Only about two and a half hours to Devon or five to the Lake District or Snowdonia. Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Good question. I think the most beautiful county in the UK is Dorset, but very happy in South Wiltshire.
    I lived in Warminster for over 20 years,Not far from Longleat but Dorset around the Wootton fitzpayne area is lovely.Just relocated to Wylye valley and very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Please don't conflate 'London' and 'The South'. Round here is not so different to Norfolk just not so flat.
    Apologies. I'm referring to the London boroughs and surrounding parts like a lot of Surrey which feels the same as London now it has expanded, UT pretends to be 'countryside' !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Apologies. I'm referring to the London boroughs and surrounding parts like a lot of Surrey which feels the same as London now it has expanded, UT pretends to be 'countryside' !
    No apology needed :) Down our way the countryside starts SW of Godalming so there's a tiny bit of Surrey that's proper countryside (e.g. Haslemere) but Hampshire and West Sussex are where it's really at.

Aylsham Norfolk, visit a friend there and always enjoy the village and surrounding countryside.

T5 LHR

Presently live in a very nice area north of Glasgow but would love to return to Northumberland...amazing beaches, great pubs and relatively quiet...failing that the Isle of Harris, live in caravan and brew moonshine

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A lot of people mention places they've been to and enjoyed on holidays, but, whilst I loved a week in Lochaline, living in a cottage right on the edge of the Loch and the Sound of Mull, I know that the reality of driving for an hour to buy anything but the most essential items or driving for 1.5 - 2 hours to get to an airport to fly anywhere, would soon take the shine off.

The same for some lovely spots in Cornwall or the Lakes, not to mention the droves of tourists that swarm all over the place for half the year (Another reason I wouldn't want to live in Central Bournemouth these days).

A lot of places seem great for a visit, but I suspect they'd be less idyllic if you lived there full time (Guernsey got a mention recently too and we had a GREAT holiday there a couple of years ago, but again, whilst I could imagine living there, I suspect it'd not be as great as it seemed - A friend of mine DID live there for a year and said that was exactly her experience).

M.
    Wise words.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    No apology needed :) Down our way the countryside starts SW of Godalming so there's a tiny bit of Surrey that's proper countryside (e.g. Haslemere) but Hampshire and West Sussex are where it's really at.
    Agreed, South Downs National Park is wonderful, and massive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Agreed, South Downs National Park is wonderful, and massive.
    And I believe the most populous national park.

Journeyman
    Not in the Uk i know but im quite happy living in clare in the west coast of ireland hard to beat the views

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    T5 LHR
    Wots wong wid AB21 7DU? Sh1t lounge?

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I would go for a rural village in Hampshire, within 10 minutes drive of a mainline station to London. Unspoilt countryside on your doorstep. A few reasonable size towns within a half hour drive. London and choice of airports about an hour away. Only about two and a half hours to Devon or five to the Lake District or Snowdonia. Sounds good to me.
    been on holiday in the nf for a week now and cant think of a better place. i would like to live

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Wots wong wid AB21 7DU? Sh1t lounge?
    Too many choppers! Arf!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Winchester - Voted best place to live in the UK in a recent national review
    And, sadly, house prices to match.

Not to mention the dodgy folk that village referred to!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Practically everything infrastructure related is better in Wiltshire though Andy. We come under North Dorset Council and its a big mystery that no one seems to have an answer to as why the council has no money for anything but we pay £2.5k PA council tax (Somerset was noticeably cheaper but no worse for services)(100% tory since for ever but that is a Bear Pit discussion). Its the one thing that puts me off the area and a regular topic of conversation with neighbours and friends. If you head west you don't need to see the Dorset sign when crossing the border, just look for the change in road condition from OK to laughably bad, only county in England without a motorway (not sure how true that is) a road infrastructure basically much like how it was 30 years ago with little maintenance since. It takes me as long for example to drive from one end of the county to the other as it does to drive from my house up into the M25 belt, a roughly 2.5:1 difference in distance. I guess everywhere has its down sides and Dorset frankly is a very long way from perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    London if my budget ran to a postcode containing both a "W" and a "3", otherwise Mullion, Cornwall
    I haven't met many people who have always wanted to live in Acton (London W3) but each to their own ;) Having lived there for a bit it did have some benefits but I wasn't sad to leave. London NW3 and SW3 however...

I live in Islington now which is pretty ideal for me (aside from the cost). Lots of green spaces for London (almost like a town within London), very good shops and restaurants, very quick to the city and other parts of London and yet where I live nice and quiet (for London at least!)

Used to live in Oxford, again good transport (bus to London every 10 mins 24 hrs a day and to the main airports), good architecture, good schools but close to the countryside

I grew up in West Dorset near Dorchester which seems to be a popular choice. Not sure I would rush back, very elderly population, relatively high house prices, crowded in the summer little in the way of shops etc (unless you go to Bournemouth or up to Bath/Bristol) and the transport is TERRIBLE for the times when you do need to or wish to leave!

Norwich/Norfolk is also nice, especially around the Broads but once you are there, you had better never want to leave...