closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new (to me) GS

My new (to me) GS

After previous ownership of the SBGX063 and the 065 and their passing due to not being able to easily tell the time (approaching 50, the mince pies are ailing a little) I'd set my ideas on picking up another Grand Seiko SBGX so what I had my eye on was the ice white dialled SBGX059.
    I spotted this on on another european board and promptly jumped on it. It arrived at least 2+ weeks ago and I've only just got round to penning this post, sorry.

It is much more legible to me and the white is so clean, it really is very nice. Typically the bracelet is very smooth and silky and as previously, I never had any trouble getting that 'just right' fit what with the half links provided.
    Its very sleek and nicely sized at 37mm without crown and I'd have to admit, I'm a happy camper again.
    I am setting aside funds for a spring drive (very likely the Snowflake, pending a wrist try) and I'm hopefully going to get to visit Japan next year for my big '50' (unless of course one comes along beforehand locally for the right money) in which case I'll think again.

Anyway, a few pics...

Master
    What a stunner. Such clean lines, your pictures are fantastic too.

Journeyman
    Congratulations on the watch purchase! The white dialed GS is a real beauty, quite unappreciated in my opinion. The dial looks almost like porcelain - I love how the small painted markers and the Grand Seiko text seem so muted on the soft snowy white. I had the opportunity to try one on at a Finnish AD, and I love how the watch looked - something about those polished hour markers reflecting the light like prisms, while the dial seemed a bit muted down in contrast.

What you said about the legibility on the SBGX063 is true. I've now owned mine for some months, and at certain lightning it is definitely hard to read the time with light reflecting off the dial. I'm actually having some buyer's remorse looking at those photos. Perhaps the SBGX059 would have been better in the long run? Oh well :P

A beauty!

Master
    Nice pick up reggie. Not the ti version I was hoping to see that you'd finally found but very very nice! I don't wear my sbgx061 as much of late due to more recent incomings but am gradually reducing the small collection in the hope I'll wear it more, they feel quality on and off the wrist every time so much so I wonder what can beat them pound for pound.

Master
    I've never seen one of these in person, but they look really nicely finished from the photos I've seen.

This one is a beauty.

Master
    I love how the hour markers almost float. I'm really struggling to not stare at these pictures. My wife thinks I'm looking at something else here!!

Master
    Nice watch, and the white face will perhaps help visibility; mind you, I haven't personally found the 063 confusing. With the spring drive there are interesting options...including that recent metallic green faced version with heavy lume and a leather strap. Or, if you like bigger watches, the SBGX 115 diver watch has a white face, very visible hands and is still quartz. The spring-drive version is bigger still.
    Overall, I find the 37mm GS watches every bit as readable as, say, a Rolex Date-Just. The more I use Grand Seiko watches the more I like them.
    That snowflake finish is very special indeed.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th May 2016 at 21:53.

Apprentice
    A lovely watch, enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the nice comments guys

The photos are taken with my Galaxy S5. I will pull out the proper camera down the line.

The dial is almost porcelain like, quite pleasant.

And yeah, the stunning SBGX069 GS titanium is in my future, definitely.

My watch size desires have reduced quite a bit in the last couple of years so I'll really need to be happy with the Snowflake cos its 41mm I believe. I'm in training for that with my recent Brightz SDGM001 ( very similar in size )

I'd like a white dialled watch ,that looks really good,I alway seem to end up with darker dials for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I forgot to mention......the second hand hits all the indices BANG on too.

Journeyman
    Awesome...I've yet to see a GS in person though I love looking at your pics. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Gorgeous and understated. I have the same eyeball issues as you (too hard to read, too proud to wear specs) and that looks very legible. Yet to pop my GS cherry but can see it on the horizon (and the snowflake is definitely the target). Enjoy a beautiful watch!

Banned
    Magnificent watch, and excellent photos. Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful watch and incredible photos with your phone!

I can never get close with pics of my 059

Craftsman
    Beautiful watch, enjoy.

I got to look at my SBGJ001 using some very high magnification lenses with lots of light yesterday and the detailing is beautiful. Until then I'd not realised that the date wheel had a textured finish, nor that the sunburst was achieved with a pattern rather than straight lines

I must try and get some decent photos at some point

Just a beautiful piece.

Journeyman
    Awesome, I love Grand Seikos!

Quote Originally Posted by faken View Post
    Awesome, I love Grand Seikos!
    Maybe not the best choice of username?

Journeyman
    Lovely watch, congratulations! Your first photo is great, it clearly shows the beauty of this piece. I too prefer it to the 063. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Master
    Nice looking watch.

Thanks again guys, I think this one will be staying on board for a good while.

A good no nonsense designed watch. Sometimes we try and look for too much when simplicity is best.

Enjoy!