closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got an Air King on hold

Master

I've got an Air King on hold

Sometimes I even manage to amaze myself with how much I can change my mind over a period of time. When I first saw the Basel 2016 Air King, I, like a lot of others thought "what is that monstrosity?!".

I assumed they just wanted to get rid of old explorer parts from the now defunct first gen 214270, but I was wrong. The Air King of old, which was really just an Oyster Perpetual I'd never taken notice of, was now a name associated with a proper pilot's watch.

The dial is obviously the main stand-out design feature and it's got to be based on the explorer with that 3, 6, 9 setup, but the rest of the watch is basically a satin finished Milgauss. Once I found this out, I was much more interested and I've now got one on hold. Even the 5-55 numbering has grown on me, as it has lume and looks very different to anything else.

The yellow and green on the dial will hopefully add a bit of colour, and the watch I first saw and hated, is currently on hold for me to view, and possibly purchase.

Has anyone gone through the same process with this one, or do you still dislike it?

Master
    If you have nothing nice to say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I love it. I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

Master
    When I first saw photos I thought it looked awful... After seeing a few on Instagram I'm starting to really want one! The colour makes a nice change I think.

Unfortunately there is no Rolex AD near to me but going to London next weekend for the play off final so might have a look and see if I can find one.

Lovely watch I my opinion
    look forward to seeing it!

Love the new Air King, I'd have one if funds permitted (which currently they don't), I liked this watch from the moment I saw it. Can't wait for a review and pictures W44NNE.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The Air King of old, which was really just an Oyster Perpetual I'd never taken notice of, was now a name associated with a proper pilot's watch.
    Maybe the last of the Air Kings but the model has an illustrious history, out living the Speed King, being the model that moved forward from the other Rolex Air models (Air-Lion, Air-Giant, Air-Tiger).

The dial is obviously the main stand-out design feature and it's got to be based on the explorer with that 3, 6, 9
    Plenty of older 5500 models with the 3,6,9 on the dial, they do look good but I went for a 5500 Explorer (dubious).

Master
    Originally I thought, too busy, too colourful and generally a mess. However I keep looking at them and they are growing on me, but I already have a EXP-39s, so still deciding to whether part chop or buy in addition to.
    Ahh, first world problems!!

Master
    I think they're a pretty good looking watch - and a great size too :0

Craftsman
    I quite like the look of it, but given that I don't own a rolex and if I were to I'd probably get a sub first it would be a while before I considered this.

It's very nearly right for me but I couldn't live with the mix of minutes and hours on the dial.

Craftsman
    Sorry, your first impressions were spot-on - that dial is a mess!

Master
    Everything about it is right, except the extra numerals on the dial. Without those, I'd have been interested in one too.

Just my 2c worth...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Awesome you have gone for it wayne, why not give it a go and good on you for buying what you like.

Pics on the wrist please when you have it, im keen to see one in the flesh too

Cheers

i think it is one of those watches you just have to slip on your wrist to really tell.
    i have tried loads of watches on that i wanted to like from seeing images but they haven’t pressed the desire button and equally i have tried and liked watches that i would never have given a second thought from looking at a pic, especially the very glossy manufactures images that look more like renders.
    and don't get me started on dealer lighting! horrible halogen spots that make everything look like a christmas tree bauble!

i look forward to trying on an Air-king for real.

I saw one of these in a local AD last week and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

The yellow and green really does set the dial off nicely....is it enough to distract you from those numbers though?
    I'm not too sure myself :)

Journeyman
    Couldn't stand it when I first saw the pictures but it's grown on me. Not to the extent of wanting to buy one yet but I wouldn't rule it out.

Craftsman
    I really like it. I think the fact that it divides opinion is a great thing too!

I agree with the earlier comment about seeing it on social media. I've seen a few photos of it on wrists (but not purposeful "wrist-shots") and it really looks cool in my opinion.

for some reason i kind of like it!

Journeyman
    The Font used for 'Air-King' is great but I don't like the contrast between the 3-6-9 which seem to be quite dark and the white seconds numerals. Very unsure about the Yellow / Green logo as well.

Master
    To save a few people from having to google it :

I'm in the camp which feels the numerals are just a step too far on this one. Colour scheme by Lego I could otherwise have come to live with.

Haywood

Master
    Not keen to have the 3,6,9 mixed with the 5-55 numbering. Makes it a bit busy for me. I wouldn't refuse one nonetheless.

Craftsman
    looks sharp...prefer older models though..

This one is not for me either I'm afraid.

Still like it. Loved it when it when I first clapped eyes on it and 2nd on the list at Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre. Just part ex'd my Bremont (plus cash) for a 2010 14060M and very happy so I'll have to give this a miss. Which reminds me I must call them tomorrow and relinquish my position!

Now that new Expl on the other hand...

The decision to use the 3,6 & 9 numerals was a mistake in my opinion.
    That said, the phenomenon of "crown induced blindness" will undoubtedly kick in.
    All rolex need to do now is remove the explorer surplus numerals and do the dial properly in a year or so and the "rare 3,6,9 airking" will become even more beautiful.

I still like it, but do agree the 3, 6, 9 should have been 15, 30 and 45 for a more consistent set of numbers. Colour scheme by Lego according to HM, you only have to look on SC to see how the members on here just love Lego, so it's bound to be a winner.

Blog Entries
    Still dire, in my opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. Not sure what people are seeing in this.

I've got a rule to try ("try" being the key adjective) and not judge a watch until I've had it on my wrist for some time and had it differing light conditions - ok, inside/outside for the most part....

So today I had this on;

And at first - before trying it on - I also thought it was just too busy. However with it on the wrist I was really quite taken with. For me it's just a perfect weight and size for a daily wear watch and, dare I say it, a "bargain" from Rolex at £4,150 list.

Good choice IMO Wayne!!

(Apologies for the sideways pics BTW...)

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Blech!

Sorry. I think it looks utterly awful. Such a mess, such a misuse of the Air-King name.

Craftsman
    There's a great looking dial in there somewhere. They just missed the spot though. Hope they do a tidy up like they did with the current explorer.

Close but no cigar !

I love the new air-king....

• Its more eye catching than the Exp 1.
    • It is a decent size whereby the old AK's were too small.
    • It has a great movement and...
    • Should hold value.

Ticks my boxes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I love the new air-king....

• Its more eye catching than the Exp 1.
    • It is a decent size whereby the old AK's were too small.
    • It has a great movement and...
    • Should hold value.

Ticks my boxes.
    I agree with that very much.

UPDATE: I spoke to the store before to remove the hold on it. I was called this afternoon to say a Daytona 500 has come available, and I can't get to see the Air King as well in one day, so I've let it go for now. If it's still available next week, I'm still interested, but the Daytona takes precedence for sure. If anybody wants an AK in the North West then PM me and I'll give you the info.

Question

I agree with that very much.

UPDATE: I spoke to the store before to remove the hold on it. I was called this afternoon to say a Daytona 500 has come available, and I can't get to see the Air King as well in one day, so I've let it go for now. If it's still available next week, I'm still interested, but the Daytona takes precedence for sure. If anybody wants an AK in the North West then PM me and I'll give you the info.

Daytona 500?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Daytona 500?
    The Dyatona ceramic 116500 Gareth :-)

Master
    I'd like to revise my previous post. The new air King is a beautiful piece. Much nicer than the Daytona. I'd go for the air King if I were you. In the meantime I could find a nice new buyer for the poor AD and the Daytona :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I'd like to revise my previous post. The new air King is a beautiful piece. Much nicer than the Daytona. I'd go for the air King if I were you. In the meantime I could find a nice new buyer for the poor AD and the Daytona :-)
    You're so kind Gab! Thank you!

Master
    If it didn't say "Rolex" on the dial I doubt anyone would give it a second glance.

Messy numerals and I personally don't even like the font they use for Air King.

On the other hand, if this is your cup of tea, then have one and be happy.

Journeyman
    Still not convince myself, maybe wait for your review for a final decision.

Craftsman
    Echoing some of the other comments here; didn't like the busy dial initially, but it's really grown on me. Kind of want one too now.

Thought so but not heard anyone refer to it as that Wayne....

The Air King of old, which was really just an Oyster Perpetual I'd never taken notice of, was now a name associated with a proper pilot's watch.
    I don't see this as a proper pilots watch, despite the name. Were any pilots consulted during the development of this watch, do pilots like a confusing dial layout, and is there a particular reason the addition of green and yellow is helpful for pilots? It's a pilots watch by name only as far as I can tell.

Craftsman
    Still not a fan of that dial, designed by committee me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Great to see some wrist shots at last, I agree it can only be judged on the wrist.

Now I'm completely sure I don't like the dial. If you like it, go for it though!

Journeyman
    I was another who didn't like this when it was first announced at Basel. The dial looked confused and messy. Different fonts and numbers everywhere. However, it's definitely growing on me and I'd now like to try one on. I now like that it's just that little bit different and is dividing opinion. I've tried an Explorer in the past and found it deadly dull. Just couldn't understand the love it gets. So this new Air King may just be a better bet for a first Rolex.

This post from the original thread when this model was announced has stayed with me:

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    It's a parts-bin watch if I've ever seen one.....

I suspect that the main reason for its existence is to help move out components such as Milgauss cases/bezels (or Datejust II; I'll check which one it is with a caliper once they arrive in Norway), and pre-2016 Explorer solid numerals and dial blanks. Using the older cal. 3131 instead of the Paraflex-equipped 3132 is an especially-obvious sign of getting rid of old stock.

Also, the diver's handset makes zero sense with the alleged instrumentation theme, and I see no reason for the dial on what was originally a pilot's watch to resemble a car's speedometer in the first place.....

Craftsman
    I like the colouring, but I just can't seem to get away with the numbering.

Master
    This one's a real puzzler for me.

I've already been rude about it over on Worn & Wound: http://wornandwound.com/ww-round-tab...rld-this-year/ where I described it as "...the illegitimate lovechild of a Rolex Explorer I and a tree frog."

To be fair, I also said "I’d buy one as an investment in a heartbeat – it’s the next 6541 Milgauss."

The more I look at it though, the more I think I'm wrong - at least about the tree frog bit.

It's a distinctive design and totally un-derivative and it's really growing on me. It's not a face everyone could love, but it's got a certain something about it.

Have been wondering about the aesthetics of this one myself, given this seems more of a step- rather than evolutionary-change in terms of (probably unintentional) confrontational design (especially I suspect to those of us who spend a long time considering/worrying about this things) ..... what I am left feeling at the moment is that it is the green Rolex, marching green second hand and yellow coronet which is what picks it out and makes it appealing, allowing it to work its way into the psyche over time (and hence the move from 'what a mess' to 'actually I quite like it' to 'wouldn't mind one at all') .... if the word Rolex and coronet were silver/white and and second hand matched the hour/minute hands I don't think it would have grown on me in the same way ......