timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart ocean 1 vintage military watch mark 1

Steinhart ocean 1 vintage military watch mark 1

Can anybody educate me as to the rarity of these and what to expect to pay

Saw one on a divers forum and looks v much like a vintage Rolex

Great look to it

Any owners? Pics? Reviews?

I bought this from Wallasey Runner for £250.

Sold it to Damo (also a member here) for £250.

Nice watch, too big and out of proportion in the flesh to feel like anything remotely resembling a Milsub homage.

I say give one a try, I don't actually think having the MK1 is the be all and end all, they're both nice.

Master
    I personally think the mk2 is nicer. I think the grey dial suits the vintage look better and I preferre the extra text and correct depth rating on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I personally think the mk2 is nicer. I think the grey dial suits the vintage look better and I preferre the extra text and correct depth rating on the dial.
    What are they new cost approx?

Master
    Tempted to say what's not to like? Quality good, size good, value for money excellent especially used. Get it bought as it'll cost next to nothing to flip if you don't bond.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    What are they new cost approx?
    Just over the £300 mark.

Grand Master
    I had one in my hands recently and I was very impressed. Not really my thing, but I was astounded by the quality and the price. It really is a case of 'what's not to like'.

Also brings home the fact that the prestige brands are grossly overpriced; I crawled all over the one I had in and I couldn`t find anything to put me off it. I`m not talking about the subjective 'feel' of the watch, I had it's back off and got up close!

Can`t praise them highly enough.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I had one in my hands recently and I was very impressed. Not really my thing, but I was astounded by the quality and the price. It really is a case of 'what's not to like'.

Also brings home the fact that the prestige brands are grossly overpriced; I crawled all over the one I had in and I couldn`t find anything to put me off it. I`m not talking about the subjective 'feel' of the watch, I had it's back off and got up close!

Paul
    That's high praise,Paul and I should say while I have a few Steinharts, this is the first time I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    I bought this from Wallasey Runner for £250.

Sold it to Damo (also a member here) for £250.

Nice watch, too big and out of proportion in the flesh to feel like anything remotely resembling a Milsub homage.

I say give one a try, I don't actually think having the MK1 is the be all and end all, they're both nice.
    I regret letting that one go - as others have said, a lot of watch for a very competitive price. I am now considering the vintage model that is a homage to a late 50s Sub, but as you can see from the image below it is slightly bigger. The one thing I did notice about the vintage military was that it was quite heavy - around 190 grams from memory. Perhaps the leather strap would bring the overall weight down a bit.

image upload

It's a shame that on most of these the lume doesn't match between the indices and the hands

Master
    With Steinhart I can't get past the fact that the cases of the most popular homages are 42mm and the lug width 22mm. The dimensions just don't fit with what I feel they're trying to emulate. Can't question the quality and value for money though.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    The Mk1 is definitely the better looking one. I don't wear mine though. I just think it's the wrong size for that style of watch. Too bloody big.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I regret letting that one go - as others have said, a lot of watch for a very competitive price. I am now considering the vintage model that is a homage to a late 50s Sub, but as you can see from the image below it is slightly bigger. The one thing I did notice about the vintage military was that it was quite heavy - around 190 grams from memory. Perhaps the leather strap would bring the overall weight down a bit.

image upload
    The mark one I have seen has only makers no numerals so is the one shown on the left here - the bigger one - a mk1?

Why would they e different?

image upload
    I regret selling it too, really nice watch. The vintage model looks like a lot of fun, I also like the white dial GMT version with the dome crystal and patina on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    The mark one I have seen has only makers no numerals so is the one shown on the left here - the bigger one - a mk1?

Why would they e different?
    The one on the left is just a vintage model, not a military. The photo below shows the Mark 1 and the later version (Mark 2). The Mark 1 has a black face and no Ocean One detail below the top marker, the Mark 2 has a more grey face and has this additional line of detail. Most people seem to prefer the Mark 1. Not sure that it is any more valuable or rare, just slightly different. Afterall, if they are homages to vintage Rolex, why not make minor changes - that's what has fuelled the vintage Rolex market over recent years.

free upload pictures

Craftsman
    I love my mk1. It's one of my dailies. And I like the lumens compared to my Steinhart gmt which is rubbish.

Paul
    Paul knows his stuff so that's nice to know, I bought a Mk1 off here and I'm delighted with it, same movement as my old TAG that's been reliable until recently (when crown broke) will get it to you at some point Paul too...

I've been wearing it to work pretty much every day and I like the size despite hardly being a rugby player or anything ...

I like the styling derivative or not and as said repeatedly VFM and much nicer and better than any fashion brand type watch or indeed others in same sector.... c ward looks expensive now too in comparison...

Nice to see my picture getting used for reference!

I prefer the MK1, though you may note that the lume on the hands and dial don't quite match this is something that was addressed on the MK2.

I paid just under £300 direct from Germany for mine, depending on the euro you I think you could get it cheaper now.. Incredible value, really solid watches, these look best on a nato I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisance Value View Post
    Nice to see my picture getting used for reference!

I prefer the MK1, though you may note that the lume on the hands and dial don't quite match this is something that was addressed on the MK2.

I paid just under £300 direct from Germany for mine, depending on the euro you I think you could get it cheaper now.. Incredible value, really solid watches, these look best on a nato I think.
    Apologies for that - a question was asked about the differences and your photo popped up on google images and ticked all the boxes, so I posted it here.

Hope you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    With Steinhart I can't get past the fact that the cases of the most popular homages are 42mm and the lug width 22mm. The dimensions just don't fit with what I feel they're trying to emulate. Can't question the quality and value for money though.

Indeed. Their Marine Chronometer has an excellent spec, Unitas 6498-1 movement, pink gold plated, Geneva stripes, blued screws etc etc............. but it's a whopping 44mm!
    F.T.F.A.

I had one in my hands recently and I was very impressed. Not really my thing, but I was astounded by the quality and the price. It really is a case of 'what's not to like'. Also brings home the fact that the prestige brands are grossly overpriced; I crawled all over the one I had in and I couldn`t find anything to put me off it. I`m not talking about the subjective 'feel' of the watch, I had it's back off and got up close! Can`t praise them highly enough. Paul
    I seem to recall that you were very impressed with my Marine Chronometer when you replaced the mainspring a while back, Paul - despite the 44mm diameter...

Simon

Apologies for that - a question was asked about the differences and your photo popped up on google images and ticked all the boxes, so I posted it here.

Hope you don't mind.
    Absolutely no need to apologise! I am quite chuffed! I think I posted it here on TZ first, or it might have been on WUS..? I can't remember...

Anyway, it brightened my day when I saw it posted, so thanks!

I see MK1's are making £100-£150+ their former list price. The Gnomon LE's even more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart-...p2047675.l2557

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    I see MK1's are making £100-£150+ their former list price. The Gnomon LE's even more.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinhart-...p2047675.l2557

I bought and sold one for £250 a month or two back, £500 is a bit strong considering the AR coating looks smudged IMO.

I agree £500.00 is strong. I sold my first one to James (TimeOut) and regretted it. I have since bought another on here via a WTB and it was a lot cheaper than £500.00. I also managed to pick up the Gnomon limited edition from e-bay, it is still unworn in the box with all the stickers on, haven't decided what to do with it in the longer term, but it is a lovely watch.

free photo upload

uploading images

image upload no compression

Lovely Ken.

Your PMs will be going crazier than even those of a man with a Daisey and big fishing rod!

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Lovely Ken.

Your PMs will be going crazier than even those of a man with a Daisey and big fishing rod!
    Thanks James. Steinhart really do offer collectors a wide choice and as discussed, you are unlikely to lose much money. The art of this is to hunt down the earlier editions. I also have another two, the first is the vintage with the rarer in house ST5 movement. These movements were only put into the vintage model for a short time, so it makes this version more desirable than a standard ETA movement. Finally, my favourite Steinhart - a Mark 1 Ocean One Red with the paler plots, black dial and smaller text - it is well worth hunting one of these down - remind you of anything !!

image hosting 12mb

image hosting over 5mb
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th May 2016 at 21:40.

+1 I agree

I've had both the Ocean Vintage Military - the OVM, and the Ocean One Vintage with the ST5 movement.
    They're both way too big.
    The future is to look out for say, a Raven Vintage 40mm.
    Now they're really hot stuff, particularly the no date variant !

Last edited by reggie747; 29th May 2016 at 23:39.

Craftsman
    Having read this thread, I took the plunge and ordered an Ocean One Vintage Military which I'll use as my everyday watch. Will seek out a strap to replace the bracelet. Really looking forward to receiving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    the ocean 1 looks massive, i assume no shops stock them to get to check the wrist size?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    any chance I get I roll this picture out, limited edition of 40, celebrating the PanAm Rolex, i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    any chance I get I roll this picture out, limited edition of 40, celebrating the PanAm Rolex, i love it.

Nice pic of a nice watch, dood

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    the ocean 1 looks massive, i assume no shops stock them to get to check the wrist size?
    Errrr, no.

No but they have a decent returns policy

Lovely watch, not seen that before - you must be getting bored with it by now. Wouldn't it like a change of scenery ?

Neil at Chronomaster is the UK outlet for Steinhart.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/steinhart/watches/

I have a 7" wrist and the watches are not huge on me - see images on this thread.

Craftsman

Apologies for hijacking the thread, just wanted to say how nice that is Reggie!

I love mine too for all the positive reasons giving in the answers below. The lume on my mark one seems to match up so I don't know if there were different batches.

I'm surprised by the comments on size, as they don't feel huge to me but then I am very tall myself with 7/5 inch wrists. I love the look of them, I bought Rolex sub but didn't keep it, I just found it too small whereas the Steinharts for me personally are a great size.

Also as said if you get one and don't like it you can flip it possibly only costing postage.

It was the reason I bought a proper sub but also the reason I sold it. The Steinhart was just a better size for me wrist.