closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Patek have called - should I?

yip can look all colours heres coupla scans ive got of mines

dials is mesmerising

Lovely, thank you.

Before doing a bit more research I always thought there was a grey or charcoal dial version of the 5711 - but I'm sure it must have been the blue, but caught in just the right light.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Congratulations. If you are anything like I was you'll love it even more in a fortnight or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Lovely, thank you.

Before doing a bit more research I always thought there was a grey or charcoal dial version of the 5711 - but I'm sure it must have been the blue, but caught in just the right light.
    Funny you should say that - when I received my 5980, I actually thought they'd sent me a grey-dialled watch! Change of light and suddenly I realised it was the blue. But the blue of the 5980 is nothing like as 'electric' as the 5711.

Man, this is like a soap opera.
    Congratulations and chuffed for you. Only us addicts can appreciate the agony and ecstasy of the watch buying experience, particularly with such a major purchase.
    Now, don't post till you have pics for us.

Craftsman
    What a great conclusion to a good story.
    At least you'll always remember the journey, so to speak, in more ways than one.
    Enjoy your watch!

Master
    Brilliant thread. Congratulations and enjoy your new watch in fine health.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Brilliant thread. Congratulations ON PULLING THE TRIGGER and enjoy THE BAD BOYin fine health.AND MINE SAYS HI!
    FTFY.

Well - sorry it's so late, and I haven't had a chance to post any pics before now. My camera is on the other side of the world now, so cameraphone pics it is (not that I'm any good with a proper camera anyway).

Quite a nice little haul:

I'll get some better pics up over the next day or so - lots of reflections on the shiny edges.

So far, early impressions, I absolutely love it - more than I thought I would and I knew I liked it a lot already :)

Stunning! Enjoy it my friend.

James

Wonderful.👍👍
    Enjoy it. Thanks for the pics.

enjoy mate , it is a class piece once you get over how much you paid for a date and time only piece in steel

even now I think eh.... how much for a steel watch , u gotta be fricking kidding me :)

Master
    That is absolute class. Beautiful!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wonderful.👍👍
    Enjoy WEARING THAT BAD BOY. Thanks for OPERATING THE TRIGGER ON YOUR CAMERA.
    FTFY.

Pictures

Enjoy that bad boy!

Master
    Fantastic story, stunning watch .

Craftsman
    Very many congratulations. The thread I have enjoyed most on tz for quite some time. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

A great thread and I echo other members, best thread in ages. Lovely watch and story.

Congratulations :)))

What a stressful day you had, great that it all worked out for you.

Nice gifts.

Thanks for all the positive words. It was a bit of a rollercoaster.

Now, I don't want anyone thinking that I'm of the impression that £16k+ is not a lot of money - it bloody well is a hell of a lot of money for me. A Rolex of any description is a lot of money and lets face it, although it's one of my favourite Patek watches, the 5711 is one of their cheapest men's watches, and in steel (although that's the way it was designed to be 40 years ago in 1976!).

Anyway, I made the decision that I was prepared to give up a number of the watches I currently owned if I could get the 5711. You can work out how many other watches (or other things you could buy instead - 27,233.33 single Mars bars from Tesco, at today's exchange rate for example!); or it cost (or at least is currently worth) approximately the same as every single Omega watch in my collection (which I posted up the other day) put together at their used prices as another example.

I don't feel like the typical Patek buyer. Even if I really liked them, I couldn't afford to buy one of their Perpetual Calendar, Split Seconds, Minute Repeater etc. etc. Chronographs. So I'm possibly not the customer/demographic they are aiming for, and maybe they are missing a trick, or possibly not as the case maybe.

With Rolex, or Omega or other similarly price brand, I have always said to those that state "I could never afford one of those", it's just question of priorities. They might spend £5-£10 a day on cigarettes for example, a similar amount on food or alcohol. The Patek is possibly not in that same ballpark. If I hadn't built up enough funds/watches to buy it, then it wouldn't be happening, so I feel lucky to be in the position to try one - not something I ever thought I would do until fairly recently.

I wonder if the AD's that have 0% offers on from time to time include things like AP/Patek/Lange/Vacheron?

As already had a fair value in watches, I felt that it wasn't a huge step for me to replace 'many with one', as this is the option I advise every time I see someone as should I sell ABC to buy X (unless I really like what they were selling, or dislike X). As an ownership prospect I think it is better to own less watches that you enjoy more, than lots that you just have for the sake of it. Some or most of mine I do really enjoy owning and wearing though. So I probably need to take my own advice and take my collection into that type of direction as well.

I don't think the 5711 is 3 times better than a new Submariner - they are simply different watches. If someone wanted a Submariner then only Sub with do, and likewise if you wanted the 5711, then that is the only option. I don't think the Patek will change my love for a lot of the Rolex model lines- but then with a few exceptions, I only really like the Rolex Professional/Sports range anyway. So if you are happy with your Submariner, GMT, Explorer, Sea-Dweller, DD, DJ, Seamaster, Moonwatch etc. etc. then wear it and enjoy it, you have a fabulous watch and you aren't missing much, but if you have multiple watches around similar themes and were thinking about maybe selling a few to find one more expensive purchase, then for me that is the way to go.

I do think that if you were prepared to put up with desk marks etc. to the polished centre links, then you could wear the 5711 as an every day wearer.

Enough rambling - here's a pic from lunchtime:

Looks great, lucky boy.
    I had a very different experience today in Laings Glasgow (PP AD), they tutted when I asked about availability and said I could put my name down for their only 2018 blue 5711, .........if I put a deposit down!
    2016 one is gone and their 2017 one is reserved with a deposit.
    I was not very impressed, I'll take my (near) 17k GBP elsewhere thanks.

I guess if they can't get one then they can't get one - I did wait around a year for mine, some have been lucky. However this is the 40th Anniversary year, and maybe they will do something different - I think they said that the Nautilus's actual anniversary is later in the year (1976-2016) - so there could be something happening for it :)

Master

Cool

Good luck with that,out of my league so can't really offer advice other that go with your ' gut '

Oh no - is that a load of dents and scratches I see?

[ Oh well, it's only an old desk! ]
    Last edited by WatchIng; 30th May 2016 at 20:12.

Just a table in a pub. I think one of the guys that was sat behind me at the time, on another table, works for Roger Smith.

Master
    Loved reading about it.
    So, when does your sale start? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still not sure I'm going to have a sale as such. Although unexpectedly I have now sold one watch already.

I'm enjoying TT in the Isle of Man, so that takes priority for the next two weeks, but if I get round to it I might list a few watches on Sales Corner.

I think any watches I had for sale on here during my mortgage sell off that didn't sell on the S/C at the final reduced prices will most likely be sold elsewhere. Also, I haven't fully decided on which watches I'm prepared to sell off - I've got about 5 in my head so far, but I'd need to get to around 10 sold to get my next watch sorted.

If you have ever followed my threads about reducing my mortgage you'll have seen how long it took me to actually embrace it and do it - and even then I did it in two or three main stages, so I'm sure any selling would be similar.

Master

Patek have called - should I?

^^^ it was tongue in cheek Scott ;-).
    I "remember" the 2002 TT, I was there. Douglas changed nearly overnight when it was on. I guess it still does.
    What's the next watch?!
    A PP Chrono? 5170?

BTW do you remember that massive storm in 2002? The day it broke was my first day on the island. I thought "is the weather always like this here?"

Last edited by Deckard81; 31st May 2016 at 00:32.

Craftsman
    I'm new to the forum and have been doing that newbie thing of hitting random threads as my interest gets peaked in different subjects, but I've followed this thread with great interest. As you were posting about your delayed travel plans I actually felt myself get nervous for you, a complete stranger, how bizarre is that? Anyhow, I always thought I wasn't a fan of PP. I remember my brother getting one for his 40th many years ago and thinking, it's ok, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a watch". I've always loved watches, but never been in the position of having money to spend on them. Back in 2009 I bought my first really nice watch, a Speedmaster. I was working with a Dutch drilling engineer who was big into his watches and discussions with him led me to the moon watch. Bought it second hand in really good condition, wore it for seven years solid (with the exception of going to bed!), until recently when I had a bit of money become available to me and bought a GMT Master II, BLNR. What a beautiful piece of engineering it is. This has rekindled my interest in watches and I've spent too much of my free time drooling over these forums since. What it has made me realise though is that I need an everyday watch, a beater, for the mundane tasks like gardening, painting etc, and so have ordered up a Steinhart OVM which should be delivered in the next few days. What it's also done is made me realise that i need to start building a future watch fund for that 5711 that I'm going to get eventually! Enjoy the TT, always fancied going. Myself and my son are away to the Catalunya MotoGP on Friday morning, guaranteed sun, Tapas, red wine and 200 mph+ motorbikes, can't be bad can it.

Craftsman
    Just read this through whilst eating lunch. Many congratulations.

I had a second hand 5711, both bought and sold on here. It was the only watch I wore for the time I had it, other than the odd trip to the beach when my Omega 2254 came out.

I only sold because I have been going through a bit of a period of trying to rationalise possessions and am still toying with the idea of ordering a new 5711 for my 40th - although given that is just under 2 years away, it sounds like I might need to get a move on!

Enjoy it you lucky chap!

Gone but not forgotten:

ghu1967 - a belated welcome to the forum.

The BLNR is a great watch, as is the standard GMTc - I really like them both a lot, and they would be an idea only watch. But as you have stated it's also good to have a beater as such. I have a couple of G-shocks for extreme use, but I'r prefer to wear a nicer watch all the time, or for all but the situations were you were fairly sure you would mark up a watch, and Sub/SD or a Seamaster SMP - or any of the German tegimented steel watches would be good - I'm thinking Sinn/Damasko.

Enjoy the Moto GP - it should be fantastic! I will enjoy the TT and seeing if Bruce Anstey can set a new lap record on the RCV-S that has been set up for the TT - it looks to be about on the pace already and has potential :)

tmilligan - I hope I never sell this one. Although I did sell my first Rolex to teach myself not to get too sentimental over possessions, and it worked - I won't buy another 16570 or older GMT, I prefer to bigger crowns of the divers ands more modern Rolex watches.

I have been having a further look on here and some Pateks have sold for really good prices, but I am pleased that a) I have bought after a rare price reduction, which has saved me well over £1.5k alone, and b) having my first Patek from the boutique and experiencing, although a little more rushed due to my flights etc., the full experience of buying it new with all papers etc. in my name.

I'm still loving it by the way, and about to out it on for the day :)

Craftsman
    ghu1967 - a belated welcome to the forum.

The BLNR is a great watch, as is the standard GMTc - I really like them both a lot, and they would be an idea only watch. But as you have stated it's also good to have a beater as such. I have a couple of G-shocks for extreme use, but I'r prefer to wear a nicer watch all the time, or for all but the situations were you were fairly sure you would mark up a watch, and Sub/SD or a Seamaster SMP - or any of the German tegimented steel watches would be good - I'm thinking Sinn/Damasko.

Enjoy the Moto GP - it should be fantastic! I will enjoy the TT and seeing if Bruce Anstey can set a new lap record on the RCV-S that has been set up for the TT - it looks to be about on the pace already and has potential :)

tmilligan - I hope I never sell this one. Although I did sell my first Rolex to teach myself not to get too sentimental over possessions, and it worked - I won't buy another 16570 or older GMT, I prefer to bigger crowns of the divers ands more modern Rolex watches.

I have been having a further look on here and some Pateks have sold for really good prices, but I am pleased that a) I have bought after a rare price reduction, which has saved me well over £1.5k alone, and b) having my first Patek from the boutique and experiencing, although a little more rushed due to my flights etc., the full experience of buying it new with all papers etc. in my name.

I'm still loving it by the way, and about to out it on for the day :)
    Fingers crossed for Anstey, he's a great character with a tremendous attitude to life. Hoping that Hutchy can have a good TT also, although I probably won't listen to any of his post race interviews

Master
    Congrats.

I do think that if you were prepared to put up with desk marks etc. to the polished centre links, then you could wear the 5711 as an every day wearer.
    As an aside I've always wondered why PP have the PCLs on it; it's the one thing I'd change and for that reason, to make it feel more of an every day wearer. It's something in favour of the Aquanaut, ie the strap making it feel a bit more genuinely 'sports watch'.

Great thread this, as others have said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Congrats.

As an aside I've always wondered why PP have the PCLs on it; it's the one thing I'd change and for that reason, to make it feel more of an every day wearer. It's something in favour of the Aquanaut, ie the strap making it feel a bit more genuinely 'sports watch'.

The Nautilus is the ultimate daily wear! The movement is Solid and accurate. The nautilus is more water resistance than the Rolex Explorer or GMT! It is the ultimate SS Sport watch :)

I do think it's a very good daily wear, and for most activities - if I only had it, I'd just accept that watches get marked and have it polished at service time. I hope I wear it a lot more and in a lot more situations.

I can see the appeal of the Aquanaut, and always thought that it would be my first Patek - but that will have to wait, if I buy one at all, as the 5711 is probably all the watch I need these days. It really could be an exit watch - but I'm probably not that sensible, and Id love to add the WG GMT, and maybe just 1 more Patek :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Congrats.

I was wondering who makes the straps for the gold models, and if it was possible to put it on one - but, it's just so comfortable on the bracelet that I hardly notice I have it on. It's less than 125g!

I did wear my WG Daytona most days, it has polished centre links, and it still looks great after years of wear - only up close can you see the swirls etc - but it's a watch that was bought to be worn :)

Banned
    Congratulations. You did the right thing.

Craftsman
    I do think it's a very good daily wear, and for most activities - if I only had it, I'd just accept that watches get marked and have it polished at service time. I hope I wear it a lot more and in a lot more situations.

I can see the appeal of the Aquanaut, and always thought that it would be my first Patek - but that will have to wait, if I buy one at all, as the 5711 is probably all the watch I need these days. It really could be an exit watch - but I'm probably not that sensible, and Id love to add the WG GMT, and maybe just 1 more Patek :)
    Mine was a daily wearer pretty much. And because it is so thin it slips under a shirt and is protected from too many marks, desk or otherwise. I had a 5167 aquanaut on rubber at the same time and it just didn't feel special. The strap made it sit much more proud of the wrist and I could never get a comfortable fit.

The 5711 really could be an exit watch and may yet be mine...!

Apprentice
    You should.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante1000 View Post
    You should.
    It will take 60 days until you can see Sales Corner, so you have all the time in the world to actually read the thread before you type your comment. Just sayin'.

Master
    I was wondering who makes the straps for the gold models, and if it was possible to put it on one...
    Camille Fournet makes some or all of Patek’s leather straps, but you can’t switch from bracelet to strap as the mid-case is different for each type.

Surely they can adapt a strap to for though?

Master
    You’d like to think so, wouldn’t you? But for the past decade of producing the 5711, they’ve not found the impetus to bother their backside doing so.
    For a good few years, the Aquanaut (5167) was an 'either or' proposition, before the case was changed so that owners could buy and swap the bracelet to rubber, and vice versa.
    Cartier’s quick strap change patent ends in 2018, so who knows if they’ve something in the pipeline for then.
    Maybe they just like forcing owners to buy another model (with complications) that has the leather strap – then they don’t have to bother with changing the strap, just setting the time, date, and moonphase…assuming it’s not on a winder, of course.

Rubber B make a stunning strap to replace the leather, nothing for the bracelet version though.
    I'd love my 5980 on a Rubber B.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely.

I have thought about reducing from 6 Rolex to 3 and a Patek a few times (though always fancied a 5712) however I've never found any in stock to try on to see how they are in the flesh.

Master
    Surely they can adapt a strap to for though?
    No there are no rubber or strap options for the 5711. Apparently the end links are different to the gold ones. I checked this with the boutique on Bond Street.

This is the annoying problem I found also.
    I solved it by trying two kind TZ members watches.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Lovely.

I have thought about reducing from 6 Rolex to 3 and a Patek a few times (though always fancied a 5712) however I've never found any in stock to try on to see how they are in the flesh.

Just a table in a pub. I think one of the guys that was sat behind me at the time, on another table, works for Roger Smith.
    Was it Andy? Oldish chap, bit of a Scouse accent?

Patek also rang me yesterday to say this was arriving today, I thought it rude not to go and collect it this morning

⛵️

Craftsman
    Very nice, congratulations!