closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DE Shaving Gear - What works best for you ?

DE Shaving Gear - What works best for you ?

Its been a while since I've seen any DE shaving threads in here. This website got me into DE shaving and I will never look back, beats cartridge shaving hands down for closeness, value and I really like the 'ceremony' of the whole thing.

The choice of gear is very personal and after some time (2years) of swapping and trialling I have found the following combo works excellent;

Razor - Merkur 25c (great middle ground razor; I also have a Muhle R41, it is excellent but very aggressive)
    Blades - Personna Platinum (I have tried about 20 blade types, very enjoyable experimenting I must say, also love Feathers)
    Cream - Nivea Mild (hard to get but it is very very good, 2nd place for me is green Pro-Raso, 3rd Place is the Body-Shop Maca stuff).
    Brush - Boar Brush (nothing too expensive, I'm not sure I noticed any great difference between brushes)

Just wondering if any other chaps here have a 'best combination' ?

Web images...

Feather AS-D2 razor with feather blades, wilkinson sword if unavailable make a good alternative. Men-u shave cream stuff on an Edwin & Jagger badger hair brush.

Splash face with lots of cold water followed by a pass over with an Osma alum block followed by moisturiser (current Men-u Matt but Clinique, Clarins, Boots no.7 or Proraso are all used depending on availability).

For travelling I have a merkur travel razor (aggressive) but have started taking the Feather away and leaving a pack of razor blades in my office in Germany to enable hand luggage (and a quicker exit from the airport) since I'm travelling more.

I use a vintage Gillette, Palmolive stick and a cheapish boar/badger brush.

I agree with the OP, I can't see how a £60+ brush is that much better than my £14 one.

When I first got into DE shaving I tried a few different creams/soaps, I find the Palmolive works just as good as a £20 cream.

I buy Castle Forbes cream every now and again for a treat, but as the main reason I got into DE shaving was to save money on blades, I enjoy the fact I get a better shave now for a faction of the cost.

Merkur 34c. Tried an R41 and too aggressive. Anyone recommend something betwixt those 2?

Blades: Astra Platinum, Perma-sharp and Feather. I remember Derbys were not much kop.

1st brush was a Vulvix 404, added Semogue Boar, and very good Muhle synthetic.

Tried loads of soap/creams. I tend to face lather so judge them on how long they stay lathered on the brush for a 2nd pass.

These are pretty good:-

Bluebeard's revenge

Bodyshop Macca root cream.

St. James'. This used to be dirt cheap at Creightons, but have recently gone up.

Groomed, by the Real Shave Co. Very good and cheap cream.

http://www.beautyatcreightons.co.uk/...isture-zone-3/

And yes, the Palmolive shave stick 50p is a given.
    Last edited by Tickeros; 2nd June 2016 at 01:58.

Craftsman
    Still got the original Merkur 34C razor I bought when I first moved to DE shaving, after trying a few blades I bought a multi year supply of Personna's which I'm still slowly making my way through. Must have saved a fortune over the years compared to the latest Gillette nonsense.

Have a reasonably priced boar brush and use some Truefitt and Hill soap. Did use a Taylor's of Old Bond Street aftershave but don't bother now, just go straight to normal moisturizer.

Find it very strange why everyone doesn't use a similar setup, wins hands down over the disposable stuff in quality and price. Shows how well big marketing can work I guess.

Journeyman
    I use a Muhle R89 with Astra Platinums. I find the blades a bit too sharp on the first shave, but after that they are great. Other than that, Palmolive shave stick, cold water, and aftershave, oh, and a stypic pencil for when I cock it up...

DE Shaving Gear - What works best for you ?

This one of my favourite set ups, custom badger brush, vintage Gillette and good quality cream and post shave. After a few years of DE shaving I find most blades will give me an OK shave but some are definitely better than others. I've been using Russian blades for the last 18 months and found them to be excellent.

Master
    Following advice here, a year ago now I went for a Merkur 39C Slant Bar DE Long Handled. An excellent purchase. Okay a few weeks to get the hang of it but perfect shaves every time now and very rarely any blood ;-)

Also 7 o'clock blades. Tried a few others but always seem to come back to these. I do find though 5 shaves and that's about and a new blade required.

Bodyshop Macca root shaving cream and Macca root Razor Relief for afterwards. More recommendations here.

Came back to DE shaving about 5 or 6 years ago after donkeys years trying electric (too much shaving rash) and a few different plastic cartridge products.

tbh, at the moment, I'm actually experimenting with the short beard look. Not shaved for a couple of weeks now BUT I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with the irritation and also it's not growing very evenly (oh and the white patches on my chin don't help the young stud look!). I think another week and if things don't improve it's coming off!

I never knew Aqua di Parma did Shave cream. My next purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    This one of my favourite set ups, custom badger brush, vintage Gillette and good quality cream and post shave. After a few years of DE shaving I find most blades will give me an OK shave but some are definitely better than others. I've been using Russian blades for the last 18 months and found them to be excellent.

Craftsman
    Merkur Futur, Mühle badger brush, Gillette Goal blades (great quality; supposedly come from India, you can buy them cheap as chips on ethnic markets) and Taylor Lemon/Lime cream.

Feather ASD2 with either Feather or Israeli blades, Trumpers rose, Simpson Duke brush and a Georgetown Pottery shaving scuttle.

Edwin Jagger DE89, Edwin Jagger badger brush, Feather blades, Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado shave cream and Nivea sensitive post-shave balm. Tried all sorts of razors, blades, soaps, creams, balms and aftershaves and the above is the best combination and also value.

Journeyman
    For me it's a Muhle head on a Webber handle and feather blades. Tried all sorts of creams gels etc with a brush, but now just use a can of nivea foam. Yeah I know but it works as well as anything for me.

A Merkur 38C (still got my original 34C but prefer the added weight) with Gilette Silver Blue blades.

Body shop face wash before and Nivea sensitive face balm afterwards.

I've a couple of custom made (not as expensive as it sounds as I know a bloke ;) ) brushes, my favourite has a silvertip knot used with TOBS shaving cream

My eldest son started shaving last year and I've got him into DE straight away. He uses a nice mild Muhle with Derby extra blades and his on custom brush

I use a plastic, cheap Wilkinson DE razor and blades. I have tried a few different blades, some are definitely sharper, however, does the actual razor really make much difference? I used a Merkur for a time, but when I brought it online I didnt realise how short the handle was... and eventually sold it.. - I didn't find it any better than my cheap plastic razor, in fact, because of the length, it was worse....

I also use a cheap mixing pot, cheap brush, and Boots shaving cream...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I never knew Aqua di Parma did Shave cream. My next purchase...
    You won't regret it, although this is the old formula that is scented, the new stuff is less scented which according to ADP allows you to better match an after shave.

Moved to DE about a year ago and wouldn't go back to multi-blades (unless travelling).
    Edwin JaggerDE89 Knurled, Wilkinson Sword brush,Tesco (yes really) DE blades - I'm sure they're unbranded Personna's and Proraso Red, White, or Green (I've got them all and choose a scent depending upon how I feel).
    I'm still working on the post-shave, but may have to give Aqua di Parma a try.

I use a Feather AS razor with Feather blades, a New Forest badger brush (which is not made from New Forest badgers) and usually Truefitt and Hill or Taylors creams or soaps.

TK Maxx used to have lots of Pecksniffs After Shave Balms which are excellent and their Colognes are quite nice but you rarely see them now. At TK Maxx prices Pecksniffs ASB and Colognes are good if you can find them, but I wouldn't buy them at the full retail price. Don't bother with the Pecksniffs shaving soaps though.

I find that shortly after I discover something that I like it becomes unavailable. As with the Pecksniffs stuff I discovered Acca Kappa 1869 which was, for a while, available in Marks and Spencer. Then the UK importer stopped importing it and it's only available from elsewhere in the EU or from the US.

Master
    The EJ89 was my first foray into DE shaving, this was soon followed by a 1912 SE which would be my preferred choice now were I not in a beardy stage.

Master
    Mercur Futur razor and either Derby or feather blades, bluebeard badger brush, Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton cream or Mitchells woolfat soap applied with an Omega boar brush which is a bit harder and I find better for the soap. Sometimes use my EJ89 razor too which is a bit more "gentle" than the Futur. Pre shave is Edwin Jaeger minty stuff (name escapes me) and post shave is an alum block and Fines "Snakebite" aftershave tonic.
    Last edited by SIB; 2nd June 2016 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Moved to DE about a year ago and wouldn't go back to multi-blades (unless travelling).
    Edwin JaggerDE89 Knurled, Wilkinson Sword brush,Tesco (yes really) DE blades - I'm sure they're unbranded Personna's and Proraso Red, White, or Green (I've got them all and choose a scent depending upon how I feel).
    I'm still working on the post-shave, but may have to give Aqua di Parma a try.
    You are quite circa they are rebranded Personas, which if you like them should be available for a good saving on eBay. I've bought a few 100s packs of blades and the pay work out at 3-4p each. Admittedly 100 will last a couple of years

What DE razor and blades do the TZ-UK experts recommend for someone with fairly sensitive skin and reasonably fine facial hair thickness.

My shaving technique is okay and I currently use Sensitive Shave Cream by the Real Shave Company and a brush, but with a Gillette Proglide Power Ball razor.

I'd like to get a better quality (and better value!) shave, if possible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    What DE razor and blades do the TZ-UK experts recommend for someone with fairly sensitive skin and reasonably fine facial hair thickness.
    I'm quite fair and have been using a Muhle R89, Wilkinson Sword blades along with Bluebeards revenge cream. Just ordered a big trial pack of loads of blades to work through, will do a write up when I'm finished. Persona and Feathers seem to be popular but I didn't get on with them, could be they don't suit the R89 so well.

New and slightly redesigned Fatip Piccolo/Grande is a great and affordable little razor. Noticeably better than first verzion.
    As for the razor blades, I love Polsilver Super Iridium.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    ...Feathers seem to be popular but I didn't get on with them...
    Yes, I remember reading good reviews for the Feathers, but also that they are quite aggressive.

They might well be too much for someone with reasonably sensitive skin and fine facial hair like myself.

My shaving technique is okay and I currently use Sensitive Shave Cream by the Real Shave Company and a brush.
    I am very similar, a Merkur closed comb, 34 or 38C is excellent. I've changed to Gilette Silver blue blades from Derby's.

I have found Taylor's of old Bond Street cream better than the real shaving company product.

I too got into DE shaving via to this forum and after going a bit nuts and trying lots of different things I've settled on these;

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89, simple but effective (I also have a Merkur Vision 2000 adjustable but switching to it after the DE89 is like shaving with a telegraph pole )
    Blade: Astra Platinum, Gillette 7 O' clock Yellow or Feathers.
    Creams: Taylors St. James, Proraso - all the flavours are good but white is my favourite.
    Brush: Executive Shaving's own brand super badger.

I also use Alcolado Glacial aftershave splash which is a bit like being booted in the face on first application but is strangely addictive, followed by either Nivea Sensitive or Proraso White balm after the Alcolado 'zing' has worn off.

I've seen little or no benefit in spending extra money on upmarket creams or balms. I suspect most of it is down to the snob factor of having 'moved on' from Nivea/Proraso which are perfectly good products for sensible money in my opinion.

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    I am very similar, a Merkur closed comb, 34 or 38C is excellent. I've changed to Gilette Silver blue blades from Derby's.

I have found Taylor's of old Bond Street cream better than the real shaving company product.
    Great, I'll have a look into all this. Thanks

If I were you I would try the Personna Platinum blades, I find them to be excellent on sensitive skin. They are USA made, the company supplies blades to the medical professions and they are very respected in the States, you'll always see them mentioned on USA web sites.

Just a minor point. I've noticed a few saying they like the Muhle R89 and others (like me) saying they like the Edwin Jagger DE89. These are the same razor (well same head anyway).

My shaving kit is:- Merker 23C and Merker Vision 2000 razors
    Edwin Jagger Badger brush
    Feather or yellow 7o'clocks blades
    Taylor's Sandalwood Cream or D.R. Harris Windsor Cream

I've got Edwin Jagger DE 89, Bluebeards Revenge & Goodfeller razors.

Brushes: Edwin Jagger Super Badger, Men U and a "Grosvenor" brush. My preferred shaving soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat. I finish the shave by rubbing my face with an alum block.

Nowadays I tend to do most of my shaving with a Feather Artists Club cutthroat razor.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Well, after some deliberation and research I ended up buying an Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 DE razor with the Barley Handle, as well as some Polsilver Super Iridium DE razor blades.

The parcel should arrive in a couple of days, so hopefully it will be the end of shaving with a cartridge razor for me!

I've still got some Real Saving Company Sensitive Cream left, as well as a Men-U synthetic brush. Depending how I get on I may well buy some Taylor's Of Bond Street - Jermyn Street Cream and a boar or badger brush.

Journeyman

Kent Badger Brush

Anybody interested Costco has the Kent silver tip brushes at a very good price at the moment.
    The BK4(small) is £40 and the BK8 (med) is £50, these normall retail close to £60-100 each.

As it is on the website you can still order if you are not a member I believe there is an extra 5% to pay, still a better price than elsewhere.

ikon shavecraft 103 (open comb) on ikon oss stainless handle. persona lab blue's. brush unimportant. soap is either proraso green or volabra stick. also palmolive stick for travel with merkur travel razor.

currently have a shavecraft 104 loaded with a gilette green that seems ok, but very aggressive.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    ikon shavecraft 103 (open comb) on ikon oss stainless handle.

steve
    I use a 101 with an OSS handle. Good bit of kit, nice and long with good weight and a close shave with the closed comb side, with the open comb side good for hacking off a few days growth.

I moved to DE shaving a few years ago.

After a lot of blood from the first few shaves, my skin got used to it (or I just removed all my small lumps) and it was fine.

I have a couple of razors that I could swap between and ended up getting best results from feather blades.

A few months ago, in a hurry I used a Gilette Fusion that I had kicking around. I have to say, the shave was way faster, way smoother and took far less time to go over missed bits where the grain of my hair is uneven.

I've converted back. Sorry, but the quality and convenience of the Gilette knocked the DE for 6.

Master
    50s Gillette Fatboy.
    Feathers Blades.
    Mitchell's wool fat soap.
    Kent SilverTip brush.
    TendSkin Astringent
    Sudocream for any knicks or zits
    Clinique maximum hydrator for men ( to be honest these days I use cheap old nivea)
    Creed Aventus , Creed Green Irish Tweed or Aqua di Collonia aftershave/pong.

I especially love shaving out in the open air with a bowl of boiling water.

Master
    +1 for the 59 Fatboy and feather blades (Wilks Sword backup) with a straight edge for under the nose.

King of shaves/Banana boat Aloe gel and alum block.

Brian

Craftsman
    Where did you find the old Gilette razor? Had a look on a certain auction site which has a few, all in the USA though...

vintage de's and se's often come up for sale on "the shaving room" its a uk based wet shaving forum. straights also, brushes soaps etc, and on occasion a nice watch or two!

steve

Master
    I got some really nice gear a few months ago but I have only used it about three times and I am back using my naff phillishave as when I try wet shaving it just takes so long to do and I struggled with all the faffing about and the phillishave is just so much easier:(

A 1950's Gillette Tech is a really excellent razor & still cheap to buy.
    It's not glamorous but is very effective.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Where did you find the old Gilette razor? Had a look on a certain auction site which has a few, all in the USA though...
    Bought mine off a guy on the AVforums who was offering a few . I think he restores them , was a few years ago , the price on these has shot up markedly but its a cool thing . Shaving is a pleasure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I got some really nice gear a few months ago but I have only used it about three times and I am back using my naff phillishave as when I try wet shaving it just takes so long to do and I struggled with all the faffing about and the phillishave is just so much easier:(
    3 minute job , after a shower , quick lather up , one pass with the growth on setting 2. If I'm going out in the evening its another shave on the 1 setting just to lose the 5 oclock shadow.( I also do it for discipline sake after a hard day).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    3 minute job , after a shower , quick lather up , one pass with the growth on setting 2. If I'm going out in the evening its another shave on the 1 setting just to lose the 5 oclock shadow.( I also do it for discipline sake after a hard day).
    Wow there is no way at all that I would be able to do it in three minutes, I wish :) I admit I haven't used it enough and I am sure I would get better at it but the thought of faffing about early morning is just too much and so I get the awful Philishave out :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Wow there is no way at all that I would be able to do it in three minutes, I wish :) I admit I haven't used it enough and I am sure I would get better at it but the thought of faffing about early morning is just too much and so I get the awful Philishave out :(
    From the after bath face splash to alum block and towel padding 2:05 ( mind you I only do below beard, above mussy and jowls but - it just takes a bit of getting used to.

If you consider you could end up with a few £30 pound DE razors - a single £80 fat boy could save you money - because it is adjustable :-)

I also have EJ DE Diamond 89, Muhle R89, Wilkinson Plastic, Parker 65r, Bic Plastic, some unknown, cuththroat, a mach3 and a fusion and a contour - so I know you can save money :-)

P.S. I am not trying to sell Gillette Fat boys BTW

B
    Last edited by Brian; 23rd June 2016 at 22:39.

Master
    I think I spend about £12 a year on blades and soap since getting the Fatboy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I think I spend about £12 a year on blades and soap since getting the Fatboy.

and me now I have taken the pledge :-)

B