closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Run flat tyres, worth keeping or going back to normal.

Master
    Blog Entries

Run flat tyres, worth keeping or going back to normal.

I know RFTs have come on a long way, however ts tyre change time and i was wondering if its worth going bag to standard tyres or keeping the run flats. Car is an F20 1 series.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you happy with current noise / comfort with runflats?
    What sort of driving do you do?

I've never had a car with them but I do know an hand full of people who have had bmws with them on and they've all eventually gone back to normal tyres,a couple have had cracked alloys due to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had an 08 3 series with 19" run flats and the ride was very firm. Now have a 14 5 series with 18" run flats and when I came to change the rear tyres last week I had to check they were run flat as the ride is much better. If the ride is ok, then keep them I would say.

Edit - just seen post below and yes I had two cracked alloys on the 3 series

Master
    Blog Entries
    I actually don't mind the ride, maybe the adaptive suspension helps.

Journeyman
    Had them on a 3 series, a 1 series (terrible car, never liked it) and my partner had then on her Mini. All performed much better when changed to non run flats, smoother ride and less noise.

Didn't make the one series a better car though

Graham

Runflats are truly horrible - too hard and terrible in the cold.

One of of the best thing I did was to get them swapped out

It's a good idea to keep a 12v compressor & a can of tyre weld in the car if you do swap them out.

If they're in good condition, selling them will go a long way towards a proper set of tyres (or if it's a lease car, keep them in storage and stick them back on when it's time to return it).

No - never again.

Car (X5) transformed by swapping to normal tyres.

We have breakdown cover and 2 bottles of tyre goo and a compressor.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Care should you have a flat with normal tyres and need roadside recovery, and your car was spec'd with run flats at the factory. If you are with the RAC or AA and the like and say that you have a flat tyre, they won't recover you if your car was factory fitted with run flats. No idea how that this is policed by them, but that's what I understand from a pal in the trade. I could be wrong.

Suppose most cars with run flats don't have a spare, would you need to add a space saver, and jack for emergencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobafett View Post
    Care should you have a flat with normal tyres and need roadside recovery, and your car was spec'd with run flats at the factory. If you are with the RAC or AA and the like and say that you have a flat tyre, they won't recover you if your car was factory fitted with run flats. No idea how that this is policed by them, but that's what I understand from a pal in the trade. I could be wrong.

Suppose most cars with run flats don't have a spare, would you need to add a space saver, and jack for emergencies?
    You're not, but your pal is talking shite. I know at least 2 folk who have had RAC recovery on BMWs with non-RFTs who changed from RFTs. There's no such thing as factory spec and there's no way RAC/AA/GF etc would know (for example) an M235i comes with non-RFTs and a 220D comes with them.

To the OP:

The big plus with RFT is the 'safety' element for (e.g.) women driving alone at night or anyone maybe less able to change a wheel. Otherwise....

Non-RFT are about 50% less to buy, usually last at least 50% longer and the softer sidewalls give a better ride and better feel/handling.

No contest IMO at the cost of an air compressor and tin of tyre weld at £15!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, I will have a look at some reviews of up to date non run flats.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had RFT on a 535d for about 2 years. Then got pissed off with them, they are way too expensive and susceptible to tyre wall damage if you hit a pot hole, I changed to normal tyres and a skinny spare, with no regrets.

Journeyman
    I've got Run flats on my Mini JCW. Harsh ride but I love it that way. It's not for everyone though.

I had run flats on my 320D.

I changed them over to "normal"! tyres. Much better ride in my opinion. Nowhere near as hard a ride.

Dont forget though! To get a "spare" wheel or tin of foam thingy! If you do change to "normal" tyres.

Journeyman
    The new generation of run flats arent too bad to be fair . having said that i did remove them from every bmw i ever owned , more so because i prefer grippier tyres than what can be got in rft . and the standard tyres are a tad cheaper. just be aware if you do you prob dont have a spare tyre or even a hole in the boot to carry one so the best you can do is get a compressor kit . bmw actually sell quite a good one that i got a few years back . has saved me twice since . id recommend you do get it if you switch back to normal tyres
    this one

I had a 335i convertible a few years ago and it had run flats. The car tram lined and I hated the handling. I bought some tyres from Camskill after a recommendation on a BMW enthusiasts forum, Falken tyres they were, transformed the car. The BMW dealer even fitted them for me after I had them delivered directly to them. I bought a 'get me home' pack and all was good.

After all the negative press about RFT tyres, they should be an option not standard I would have thought. Unless BMW have a vested interest in the tech? I guess they would also be obliged to include a kit or a spare if they weren't standard too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    You're not, but your pal is talking shite. I know at least 2 folk who have had RAC recovery on BMWs with non-RFTs who changed from RFTs. There's no such thing as factory spec and there's no way RAC/AA/GF etc would know (for example) an M235i comes with non-RFTs and a 220D comes with them.

To the OP:

The big plus with RFT is the 'safety' element for (e.g.) women driving alone at night or anyone maybe less able to change a wheel. Otherwise....

Non-RFT are about 50% less to buy, usually last at least 50% longer and the softer sidewalls give a better ride and better feel/handling.

No contest IMO at the cost of an air compressor and tin of tyre weld at £15!!
    No shite being talked there, just a slight misunderstanding. It is not the AA or RAC who will refuse to recover you if you change from RFT to non-RFT, it is BMW's own recovery service which you get free for so many years from new. They can and do check what tyres were fitted at the factory (including the m135i/m235i which can have non-RFT as a no cost option, not, as suggested above as standard) and will refuse a tyre related call out in these circumstances.

There is a fair bit of rehashed received wisdom in the reply above which was certainly true once but less so today. The latest gen 3 RFTs are NOT 50% more to buy than the non-RFT equivalent, they were a few years back but are now pretty much the same price, OK maybe 10-20% more but not the big gap it once was. Take a look at the tyreleader website if you don't believe this. I have experienced many RFTs and they vary wildly in sidewall stiffness and compliance. The gen 2 RE050A fitted as standard to BMWs a few years back is just awful with rock hard ride and high wear whereas the latest gen 3 tyres such as the S001, G-Y F1 Asymm 2, Michelin PS3/4 have much better compliance and ride really well. It took BMW 10 years plus to get RFTs right but get them right they finally did. There is still a case for swapping for non-rfts if you must have the very last ounce of grip but ride wise there isn't anywhere near as much difference as there once was. The non-RFT PSS fitted optionally to the M135i cars for instance, wear pretty quickly if driven hard and make a lot of road tyre roar so aren't perfect even though on a track they are a godsend.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th June 2016 at 09:18.

No brainer. I switched my 320d to regular tyres, bought a small rim from BMW and a jack from elsewhere (BMW were somewhat pricey, shall we say).

I even used the spare once.

I'm on my second set of regular and have just about broken even, haven't broken a rim and haven't broken any teeth on that bone-rattling God forsaken RF drive BMW send out of the factory for some (cost saving?) reason.

Run flat tyres? Work of the devil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    After all the negative press about RFT tyres, they should be an option not standard I would have thought. Unless BMW have a vested interest in the tech? I guess they would also be obliged to include a kit or a spare if they weren't standard too.
    I believe they are an option now Jason. Also, you're right BMW poured money into the concept. Newer generation stuff isnt actually that bad. If the op is happy with the car's current performance and handling on RunFlats and doesn't mind the slight cost increase then stick with them. Some cars, (such as the 5 series), have space for a space saver so it can be easy to swap over to non runflats. Others however haven't so you're left with a choice of foam which may or may not work or a spare taking up boot space. Incidentally, if you do take up that option, for Christ sake make sure it it secured properly, you don't want that flying around with your passengers in an accident!

As a little tip on Runflats, have a look at the MOE range. These have started to come out for the new Mercs. They are generally quite a bit cheaper than the other RFT's on the market and seem a lot more pliable on the sidewalk which should equate to a nicer driving experience.

Master
    I've run BMWs on and off for years, but the latest Bridgestone S001 RFTs are a revelation in ride and grip.

I've switched RFTs off my previous BMWs, but these will stay on and likely replaced with another set.

As Padders has said, the RFT tyre experience of old is taking a long time to dissipate, but the latest ones are night and day better than the first I had on a MINI 15 years ago.

Compressors and sealant are too hit and miss for me, fine for a get you home after a normal puncture, but my latest experience of that system as a passenger in my brothers car was watching the sealant piddling out in a pool beside the sidewall split that had been caused by being unaware of a deflating tyre until too late.

RFTs are not invincible, of course not, but they work.

You can also now get them repaired (certainly Bridgestone advise so), subject to the constraints of any normal tyre of course, but you might need to educate your tyre place first!

I'm currently running Pirelli PZero RFT 225/35/19 front and 245/30/19 rears on my BMW and expected them to be rubbbish as I changed from 18's wrapped in MPSS (great tyres)

Car has adaptive which I guess has a bearing on it but 5k in and I'm pretty pleased with them, Ok grip when pushing hard is down on the MPSS but ride wise there isn't much in it, only really notice them with potholes etc as they can be a little harsh.

Only fitted them as the M Performance wheels came as a wheel/tyre package, but when they come to being replaced I may go back to MPSS I'm not 100% sure yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well ended up staying with run flats, oddly enough my failure was a pinched side wall from a pothole, if that happens again I will change them. I managed to get 2 more Goodyear asy2 at a really cheap price so it was a no brainer. I will be interested to see what the gen 3 run flats are like in the near future, I was amazed how well it drove with a puncture.

I have the adaptive and that must make the difference with the run flats.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You can also now get them repaired (certainly Bridgestone advise so), subject to the constraints of any normal tyre of course, but you might need to educate your tyre place first!
    Many tyre places are happy to all brands. In my experience they are sensible and will not repair a tyre that is damaged beyond a safe repair. Good to know the manafacturers are starting to change their tune on this.

Craftsman
    Just swapped from nonRFT winter tyres to RFT summers and the handling/ride are much worse. Crashes about and tramlines. Am keen to get rid.

Not sure what the deal is with insurers but probably worth checking with them before changing as you arguably are changing a safety feature. I know mine wanted to know about fitting winters, no charge though.

Master
    I would never run a car with a compressor and goo as back up. Fine if you return to the car overnight and have a flat, useless if it happens while you are driving as the structure of the tyre side wall will be damaged and it would be dangerous to try to pump it back up and drive somewhere. Your then left on the side of the road calling a breakdown truck

I don't like the ride on RFT's but the peace of mind you can drive on them is great and any car I buy without RFT's I make sure there is room for a proper spare in the boot

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Just swapped from nonRFT winter tyres to RFT summers and the handling/ride are much worse. Crashes about and tramlines. Am keen to get rid.

Not sure what the deal is with insurers but probably worth checking with them before changing as you arguably are changing a safety feature. I know mine wanted to know about fitting winters, no charge though.
    What RFTs did you put on?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I would never run a car with a compressor and goo as back up. Fine if you return to the car overnight and have a flat, useless if it happens while you are driving as the structure of the tyre side wall will be damaged and it would be dangerous to try to pump it back up and drive somewhere. Your then left on the side of the road calling a breakdown truck

I don't like the ride on RFT's but the peace of mind you can drive on them is great and any car I buy without RFT's I make sure there is room for a proper spare in the boot
    I have had a puncture in an RFT which ended up needing recovery - it's all well and good if you are near home/garage during normal hours. Different story when it's Sunday night on the motorway with 100+ miles of your journey still to drive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I have had a puncture in an RFT which ended up needing recovery - it's all well and good if you are near home/garage during normal hours. Different story when it's Sunday night on the motorway with 100+ miles of your journey still to drive.
    Woluld you have been any better off with a normal tyre and some sealant and compressor though?

The best solution I guess is a spare wheel and tyre, but even then you can still be stuck. I hit a huge pot hole on the M25 once and destroyed both near side tyres, and I only had one spare.

You can still use sealant on a RFT of course, and if it's safe to continue for more than 50 miles on a non RFT then it's probably OK on a RFT too.

I don't see many downsides to the latest generation RFTs to be honest.

Woluld you have been any better off with a normal tyre and some sealant and compressor though?

The best solution I guess is a spare wheel and tyre, but even then you can still be stuck. I hit a huge pot hole on the M25 once and destroyed both near side tyres, and I only had one spare.

You can still use sealant on a RFT of course, and if it's safe to continue for more than 50 miles on a non RFT then it's probably OK on a RFT too.

I don't see many downsides to the latest generation RFTs to be honest.

In reality it was more about not having blind faith in the RFT principle TBH.

In our X5 it's a different car on non RFT's than it is with them - that is more than worth it in my book.

Craftsman
    What RFTs did you put on?
    Firestone firehawk, came with the car and still got a fair bit of life left

Master

In our X5 it's a different car on non RFT's than it is with them - that is more than worth it in my book.
    I have an X5 too. In travelling over 100k miles in it I have had 5 punctures, finished my journey every time (you can drive up to 50 mph on one) and 4 out of the 5 tyres were able to be repaired as the tyre was still deemed structurally sound.

I had a blowout on a motorway in an Audi which could have been fatal and my wifes car had a puncture a few weeks back driving it 1 mile down the road and it was unusable after driving such a short distance.

The ride on RFT's isn't great but they do a job in my experience

Master

Fair enough, how a tyre feels when it isn't punctured is arguably more imperative than when it is!

I changed my last set of RFTs on my previous BMW to this one from Bridgestone RE050A to Micheln Pilot Super Sports and it was a much nicer car to drive on the latter.

The Bridgestone S001 RFTs on my current car are much better than the RE050As, night and day better actually, so much so I'm not tempted by the MPSS tyres again, not trading off the minor grip and ride improvements versus the benefits of RFTs anyway.