closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steinhart - A Sensible Alternative

Steinhart - A Sensible Alternative

It seems a little strange starting a watch appreciation thread for a brand that 18 months ago I had never heard of. This has been one of the major benefits of TZ membership, being introduced to brands that you were previously unaware of.

A lot of people regard Steinhart as primerilly a homage brand and to some degree that is correct for their diver and vintage ranges, but look a little further around the website and there is more choice than you might first imagine. Link below to the main Steinhart site.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/

My introduction to Steinhart was to buy an Ocean One Mark 1 Military from SC on here. The watch was on the SS bracelet and initially I thought it was a little heavy, weighing close to 200 grams. I flipped the watch and within a very short space of time regretted letting it go, something that a few people on here have done over time. I put out a WTB and bought my second Mark 1. Image below of the Mark 1 & 2 together for ease of reference.

upload a picture

Shortly after receiving my second Military, I stumbled upon the limited edition Military Maxi produced exclusively for Gnomon of Singapore with only 300 made. The LE uses the black dial colour from the Mark 1, but the main change was the use of a Hesalite Superdome crystal rather than the flatter sapphire crystal used in the Mark 1 & 2.

uploading images

There were three of the LE listed on e-bay when I first saw it for sale, two in US and one in Chester, which is only 20 miles from me, so I contacted the seller and arranged a GTG and the deal was done. I then had to decide if I wanted to keep both or let one go. After a bit of deliberating I decided to let the Mark 1 go as I preferred the true vintage feel of the LE.

The next watch I bought was the Ocean One Vintage - a homage to the late 50s big crown Submariner. On the Steinhart website you get a choice between a SS bracelet or a lovely padded vintage looking leather strap. I decided that I wanted this watch on the leather strap so placed a WTB for one. I was also aware that some of the earlier versions of this watch were sold with the Steinhart in house premium ST5 movement rather than the normal ETA movement. Luckily for me the watch offered was on leather and contained the ST5 movement, so I bought it.

images upload

free upload image

My next watch is my favourate Steinhart Homage watch - the Vintage Red, clearly a nod to the DRSD, but the Mark 1 is a very different beast to the Mark 2. The earlier version had pale green plots, a black dial and the text was a little more subtle. The later versions come with a much brighter dial, plots and text. To some degree I think Steinhart may have slightly gone OTT. So another WTB was done and to my total surprise I was offered one. It is a stunning watch in my opinion.

upload imagem

Below is the Mark 2 dial. The easiest way to check which is which is that the Mark 1 has a forward slash in the depth rating and the Mark 2 has an = sign.

screen shot on windows

I hope this article is useful to newer members of TZ, who like me were not aware of the brand when they joined. The watches are very solid, good time keepers, exceptional value for money and unlike a lot of brands you are unlikely to lose money on these over time. Prices on SC are generally lower than e-bay, but prices are creeping up all the time, especially for the more desirable early versions.

This is just my small starter to kick the thread off, now let's see some of the owners of the Aviation and Marine etc models come forward with their examples.

Thank you for taking the time to read,
    Ken
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th June 2016 at 15:01.

Great write up and as a result I am really starting to like the Ocean One Vintage.

The hesalite OVM is a lovely watch too. In fact, they are all great!

Craftsman
    Their Marine 38 is highly tempting. However, I am still hoping Stowa will produce a 38 version of their Marine watch.

Master

Love mine- Originally was going buy a Tudor Pelagos, so glad I didn't. IMO the Ocean 500 at under £500 represents cracking value for money.

Journeyman
    I have the Ocean One Vintage Red on an aged leather strap, its a great watch and very well built. Wish they had one without the date function though as it is a pain changing when the watch isnt worn for a day or two. The time I can handle making the changes, but I believe you shouldnt change the date function after 9/10am...(not entirely sure why tho!)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    Their Marine 38 is highly tempting. However, I am still hoping Stowa will produce a 38 version of their Marine watch.
    I was tempted by that too, but the thickness put me off - it was the same as the divers, 13mm, too much for my little wrist

My Steinhart GMT in lovely Pollenca

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

A lot of people regard Steinhart as primerilly a homage brand and to some degree that is correct for their diver and vintage ranges, but look a little further around the website and there is more choice than you might first imagine.
    Nice write up. I'd like to read more about people's experiences of their non-homage models, which are becoming more and more interesting.

Apprentice
    I've got a small collection my first real watch was an omega sea master and enjoyed it for a while then added Breitling, And a couple of rolex to put in the mix, I started to look around and fancied a gmt so after much deliberation I thought I would buy a steinhart ocean gmt red / blk when I received it I was so impressed with the overall quality I then got a blk Ocean one again a lovely peice had no problems with them in fact would recommend them as a daily watch it even a holiday watch

Slightly bigger than my sea master and fits perfect on my wrist.

My others now feel small on the wrist and spent more time back in there boxes

I would have no reservation in getting another should I get the urge, I've just bought a tudor black bay but got a feeling that's not going to stay !!

I honestly think they are really under priced for the quality you get its amazing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of them either until I got here..... my Grail is a sea dweller and I foolishly sold my Omega Seamaster ...
    I have a lovely Tissot Hayden Moto GP watch which was a present and sentimental.... Don't want to wear it every day....

I was looking for a daily wearer when my TAG 2000 crown broke as well.... And these days it feels a little small anyway so wanted something a bit bigger but still automatic ...

Now I've spent last 3 years manically paying off mine and SWMBO plastic so it's been hard but nearly there....but that means funds short to stack away for another Seamster let alone Seadweller .....

So I came across Steinhart, read good things about them... As well as the bad (copies, etc)
    I didn't care abut that...I settled on an OVM Mk1 was about to buy then disappointed when they stopped before I could get one ...Mk2 came out..., I wasn't quite as keen with the faded dial and then torn between that and ocean one red.....

Decided was going to be OVM Mk2 ....

But a Mk1 came up here in SC and I grabbed it....still under warranty and a great price.. vfm for sure...

Great watch, great quality I wear it every day..... I'd have no hesitation getting another.... Noticed a tiny flake off bezel insert the other day but didn't worry too much an insert is under £20 I believe so next year i may well send back for service and have it replaced....

I'd buy another easily and the Pepsi GMT is very very nice but then so is the vintage red....and I'm loving the new designs like the titanium ...

Thanks for the extra info OP

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellB1972 View Post
    I honestly think they are really under priced for the quality you get its amazing !
    Totally agree.
    I've currently an OVM1 and a Pepsi GMT which both get as much wrist time as their Rolex relatives.
    Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Master
    High quality watches. You can't go wrong really!

I've had a few including the Nav b-uhr chronograph. I keep selling them because I find that they wear just a little to large for me.

I never learn though because I keep looking at the titanium 500!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post

My Steinhart GMT in lovely Pollenca
    Where is that ? Not far from Il Giardino's ,almost my second home

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I've had a few including the Nav b-uhr chronograph. I keep selling them because I find that they wear just a little to large for me.

I never learn though because I keep looking at the titanium 500!
    I sold my Planet Ocean Chrono for that exact reason, very top heavy and didn't wear well. I've got smallish wrists and the 500 is very comfy, perfect fit. Doesn't wear like 42 more like 40mm.

I offer my agreement on the relative quality/price ratio for a Steinhart. Pretty well put together across the board.
    Over the last couple of years or so, I've had my fair share of them.

My first and new watch purchase from them...

followed by this, again purchased new...

I picked this up pre-owned.....lovely pure white almost ceramic dial.

Next up, the O1V - 2nd hand all the way from Oz to me...

And lastly, another new purchase which I had the hands modded when it arrived with me..

All but the DLC have moved on now but they all served a purpose.

Banned
    There is no denying that those watches look fine, but why not opt for something more reasonably priced, like Parnis and Orient?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    There is no denying that those watches look fine, but why not opt for something more reasonably priced, like Parnis and Orient?
    What, you mean like one of these:

post image

I already have, but thanks for your valuable input anyway...

I'm not sure Parnis would return the similar amount paid when moving on (which inevitably happens) like the Steiny's do.
    Nowt wrong with Orient though in fact I had the whole colour family of Mako's.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always love a Steinhart thread, gives me a chance to roll this one out,

Limited Edition 26/40 made for a Dutch Forum, this is only 1 of 3 that had the plexi as apposed to sapphire glass, with an ETA 2893 The Pan Am Rolex Homage

and while we are mentioning Orient, this is another in my collection I love, with blue Superluminova BGW9 lume on hands, markers and bezel zero point. It also has sapphire AR coated glass which no other factory Mako/Ray model has as far as I know. The AR coating gives a blue gleam in daylight, looks rather cool

Last edited by soundood; 11th June 2016 at 21:33.

I only have one Steinhart now and it is a bit of a marmite watch but I love it and wear it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I always love a Steinhart thread, gives me a chance to roll this one out,

Limited Edition 26/40 made for a Dutch Forum, this is only 1 of 3 that had the plexi as apposed to sapphire glass, with an ETA 2893 The Pan Am Rolex Homage
    If you ever get bored with that, my three would be more than happy to welcome it aboard.

Seriously, that is a stunner and must be quite rare now - swop you for an autographed photo of GrandS.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    swop you for an autographed photo of GrandS.
    only if its the one with him strangling his manhood with a Rolex

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    and while we are mentioning Orient, this is another in my collection I love, with blue Superluminova BGW9 lume on hands, markers and bezel zero point. It also has sapphire AR coated glass which no other factory Mako/Ray model has as far as I know. The AR coating gives a blue gleam in daylight, looks rather cool
    Fantastic, thank you for sharing.

Are you comparing Orient with Parnis?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Are you comparing Orient with Parnis?
    No

Another sensible alternative

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Another sensible alternative
    Excellent, thank you for injecting some sense into the discussion.

Master
    Aviation automatic. A well executed original design

The very first steinhart I had was a ltd edition 44mm flieger- chocolate dial and steel case with auto movement - my biggest regret was selling it as I can't find another :(

Craftsman
    With my winter strap on

If only their range of watches wasn't so large. I'd almost certainly have bought one of their Marine Chronometers when I was looking for something in the Dornbluth style to try in order to see if I could get away with the size and look, but the Steinhart is even larger at 44mm! Great value for money nonetheless.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If only their range of watches wasn't so large. I'd almost certainly have bought one of their Marine Chronometers when I was looking for something in the Dornbluth style to try in order to see if I could get away with the size and look, but the Steinhart is even larger at 44mm! Great value for money nonetheless.
    The Kemmner marine is 42mm with a Unitas movement or 40 with an automatic.

I've never really payed steinhart watches much attention but looking closely at a few of these pictures im now tempted. Hmmm do i or dont i? :)

Sent from my LG-V400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by antojohno View Post
    I've never really payed steinhart watches much attention but looking closely at a few of these pictures im now tempted. Hmmm do i or dont i? :)

That was the purpose of the thread, to bring the brand to the attention of those who may not have come across Steinhart watches. You won't see them in Argos, H Samuel or Beaverbrooks. Most members of TZ got their first introduction on here.

I would say buy one, if it doesn't turn out well flip it, they sell very well on SC. If people are thinking why Steinhart, I would respond why indeed, if you have details of another brand then I would encourage you to start a thread with some details and a few images. Afterall, it is a watch forum and this is how we learn and share our experiences and help others. After a few days banging on about Steinhart I have moved on to a CWC Diver Quartz this week. One needs a rotation system.

That was the purpose of the thread, to bring the brand to the attention of those who may not have come across Steinhart watches. You won't see them in Argos, H Samuel or Beaverbrooks. Most members of TZ got their first introduction on here.

I would say buy one, if it doesn't turn out well flip it, they sell very well on SC. If people are thinking why Steinhart, I would respond why indeed, if you have details of another brand then I would encourage you to start a thread with some details and a few images. Afterall, it is a watch forum and this is how we learn and share our experiences and help others. After a few days banging on about Steinhart I have moved on to a CWC Diver Quartz this week. One needs a rotation system.
    I think i might go for the ocean one black(although i do like the green) i do have small wrist though so I'm not too sure how it will look, hopefully it will wear ok.

Journeyman
    I'm a fan of steinhart too since joining my first watch forum. Yet to decide on which one i want to buy first. Great value for money and excellent resale value.

The Kemmner marine is 42mm with a Unitas movement or 40 with an automatic.

Luckily I bought an Archimede from SC, which turned out even better as it has a 6498-2 top grade inside and 20mm lugs, rather than the 22mm that everything else in this style seem to have. I'm sure it's this lug size, and with it a slimmer strap size, that makes this watch comfortably wearable for me, so many have tried the larger size and moved their watches on. Also, the size of the manual winding 649*-* movement dictates the diameter of the case, so putting an auto in this style to make a smaller watch just doesn't work for me, these watches are so legible at 42mm with a slim bezel and large dial. This is all without the recent problems people have had with Kemmner.
    Last edited by magirus; 13th June 2016 at 07:42.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I find some of the Steinharts a bit 'take it or leave it' but the Titanium Ocean 500 is a cracking watch for the money. Gets worn often and more often than some of the divers costing 10x as much in the box. Excellent value.

SGR

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I find some of the Steinharts a bit 'take it or leave it' but the Titanium Ocean 500 is a cracking watch for the money. Gets worn often and more often than some of the divers costing 10x as much in the box. Excellent value.

SGR
    I would like one of these. However could change the serrated bezel to a coin look. Mmm

Luckily I bought an Archimede from SC, which turned out even better as it has a 6498-2 top grade inside and 20mm lugs, rather than the 22mm that everything else in this style seem to have. I'm sure it's this lug size, and with it a slimmer strap size, that makes this watch comfortably wearable for me, so many have tried the larger size and moved their watches on. Also, the size of the manual winding 649*-* movement dictates the diameter of the case, so putting an auto in this style to make a smaller watch just doesn't work for me, these watches are so legible at 42mm with a slim bezel and large dial. This is all without the recent problems people have had with Kemmner.
    I don't remember an Archimede deck watch on SC so good find especially as I am not sure they still automatically offer movement upgrades anymore, I have just written to them asking that very question as I love the look of the marine bronze case with in house blued steel hands.

I only mentioned Kemmner as a cheap alternative with a 42mm case with a Unitas movement, I had one years ago with a sterile dial, lovely watch but I have read Archimede is a step up in every respect from Kemmner and Steinhart.

Likewise, I have always been put off by the 44mm case of the Steinhart marine watches and preferred the heat blued hands and top movement of Stowa to the Steinhart marine automatic.

Interesting you mention Dornbluth have you ordered yet? I am currently ordering mine.

I don't remember an Archimede deck watch on SC so good find especially as I am not sure they still automatically offer movement upgrades anymore, I have just written to them asking that very question as I love the look of the marine bronze case with in house blued steel hands.

I only mentioned Kemmner as a cheap alternative with a 42mm case with a Unitas movement, I had one years ago with a sterile dial, lovely watch but I have read Archimede is a step up in every respect from Kemmner and Steinhart.

Likewise, I have always been put off by the 44mm case of the Steinhart marine watches and preferred the heat blued hands and top movement of Stowa to the Steinhart marine automatic.

Interesting you mention Dornbluth have you ordered yet? I am currently ordering mine.
    It was just over a year ago that I bought the Archimede, and it was about then that the movement upgrade option was removed I think.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=archimede

Re ordering a Dornbluth, I'd need to sell several of my small group of eight to finance the watch, plus some cash, and for some of the last year I've been wearing the watches I'd be left with in rotation to get a feel of how I'd enjoy a smaller selection. The reality seems to be that I like my Damaskos (DA37 & DC56) and Voyager too much to part with them. I'd sort of planned to have ordered one by now in time for my 60th next year, but that's by the by now. What have you ordered yourself?
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post

SGR
    I would like one of these. However could change the serrated bezel to a coin look. Mmm

Craftsman

Prior to joining this forum I hadn't heard of Steinhart, and without reading various reviews from members probably wouldn't have given them much thought. Glad I did. I began to think that this would be ideal on the wrist for those weekend chores where you don't want to wear your expensive watch as well as to take to a recent MotoGP trip to Barcelona and a trip to Rome soon (having heard about the proliferation of pickpockets I would be nervous of taking some 'bling' to the Eternal City. Took a little longer to arrive than I expected (or perhaps I left it to late in ordering), so it missed the trip to Barcelona, but will be wearing to Rome at the weekend. Really like it, sits nicely on the wrist on the Perlon strap. I'm certain it won't be my last Steinhart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You made a good purchase there though I think that's the same level movement Kemmner used in my marine watch I purchased. For the life of me I don't understand why Limes and Archimede sell their watches with an open case back and such an ugly movement on display (either a base Unitas or base automatic) either sell it with a solid case back or sell it with an upgraded movement.

The dial print does remind me of Steinhart marine dials Stowa looks a lot better though on the new Archimede bronze watch it appears to be a different dial. While Steinhart do represent good value for money its always been the little things that have put me off them. For example chemical blued hands rather than flame blued hands, the dial print, though they always seem to hold their value and I think that has a lot to do with them having a big following on WUS and a number of other forums. Some of Steinhart's own divers watches are quite interesting and the ocean one vintage looks pretty good but in comparison to some other micro brands its never been enough to make me make a purchase.

I am probably going for the 99.0 but I am still in conversation regarding having a few bespoke upgrades on it.

Master
    Loving this thread :) I didn't realise how lovely these watches are I am tempted.
    Last edited by andy armitage; 13th June 2016 at 23:40.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Loving this thread :) I didn't realise how lovely these watches are so if anyone wants to sell their Ocean Vintage Military please give me a shout
    Might be worth doing a WTB Andy, so you don't fall foul of the rules. Are you a Mark 1 or Mark 2 man ?

Master
    Might be worth doing a WTB Andy, so you don't fall foul of the rules. Are you a Mark 1 or Mark 2 man ?
    I like the Mk1 and Mk2 :) is the Mk1 the more sought after model I suppose it probably is, I will put up a WTB for one.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I like the Mk1 and Mk2 :) is the Mk1 the more sought after model I suppose it probably is, I will put up a WTB for one.
    I think it boils down to dial colour, a lot of people seem to prefer the earlier Matt black as opposed to the later charcoal grey.