closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Barker Luton Oxford are £120 and free delivery at Herring.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ampaign=criteo

Men's boots 70% sale at C&C Debenhams

https://www.chatham.co.uk/sale/mens-...-brogues-brown

In the sale as well now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hark1812 View Post
    https://www.chatham.co.uk/sale/mens-...-brogues-brown

In the sale as well now

Subscribed with an email to get another 10%. Fancy those blue soles...................

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Subscribed with an email to get another 10%. Fancy those blue soles...................
    They are quite smart, I bought the brogue boots too. Very comfy. The shoes took some time to break in though as you'd expect but the boots were good to go as soon as they arrived

They look like they are made in India along with half the grensons and those chapman and Moore/Thomas White from TKMaxx. The thinner soled ones drop in front of the heel as there is no support in the insole. Having bought and worn a few pairs they just don't last. Trickers only from now on, they work out cheaper in the long run.
    You pays your money....

Master
    Church shoes, manufactured in Northampton so they should be good. Last year I bought three pairs of their brogues, all with rubber Commando soles. After a short period the heels wear down to expose hollow cavities. In my estimation that's just cheap and nasty. Silly me, I suppose, for expecting shoes costing £350 plus, to have solid rubber soles.
    Tricker's next time and every other time thereafter.

Master
    Church shoes have supposedly dropped in qauility but not price since prada bought them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Church shoes have supposedly dropped in qauility but not price since prada bought them
    Yep, I can confirm they're crap. That "made in Northampton" tag means bugger all nowadays. Buy a pair of Tricker's instead of these.

Blimey, better learning all this on here then buying a pair.

So after trolling through lots of posts am I right in saying:

Church's - dropped in quality but not in price
    Loakes - go for their 1880 range
    Cheaney - good in a sale
    Trickers seem the best but expensive (to me)

I was looking for some shoes for winter with a rubber shoe sole so I don't fall on my arse but they all seem quite clunky and cumbersome in design to me compared to the leather soled designs. Obviously done to the extra thickness of the sole. I'm quite taken by some Cheaney James II brogues in the sale for £220.00 which to be honest is the most I think I'd be able to spend on a pair of shoes.

Master
    Crockett and Jones are a similar price to churches I had a pair of Pembroke brogues, amazing quality sadly didn't fit so I sold them

If you get a leather sole then fit a Topy rubber on them, bit more grip in the winter, I use them because I heel and toe wear through a leather sole in a few weeks and don't want to fit blakeys. I mostly wear commando soled trickers for everyday wear on rotation and have a thinner leather soled shoe/boot for smarter wear.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    If you get a leather sole then fit a Topy rubber on them, bit more grip in the winter, I use them because I heel and toe wear through a leather sole in a few weeks and don't want to fit blakeys. I mostly wear commando soled trickers for everyday wear on rotation and have a thinner leather soled shoe/boot for smarter wear.
    I'll look into those Topy soles, thanks

OK, Brogue thread - advice, please. I'm going to treat myself to soem Trickers this summer, I think. I really like the look of

and

My main questions is about the soles. The Stow offers leather or Dainite.

The Malton offers leather or commando.

The boots are similar to look at, I know. The Malton boasts 'Storm welts', I think - something to go for? I get the feeling that the Malton will be heavier.

Now, soles. Does anyone have any thoughts? Will the rubber soles be harder wearing? Has anyone got an experience comparing the leather with either of the other soles? Thanks!

I have boots with leather, dainite and commando soles so can compare for you.

I'd strongly go with the commando soles. They have the downside of collecting stones, but have much better grip than dainite, and I find them more comfortable underfoot. They look more 'rugged' which is not a downside on a boot!

Dainite is ok for rainy days on most surfaces. I find the soles to be a bit more hard wearing cf. commando, but perhaps I baby them a bit more. On some wet surfaces they can be very slippy though - I had a bad fall due to this recently. Also the 'dimples' on the sole put pressure on certain points of your feet that can be uncomfortable after a while.

I quite like double leather soles on boots, but note this restricts you to walking in town in dry weather. But on the right day they are nice - I have some Loakes 1880 Burford boots that are the best Loakes I have.

To summarise - commando if you are buying one pair. (I'm wearing commando soled Cheaney Tweed C right now!).

If you're intending to wear these in Qatar I would have thought the significant question would be about how they insulate heat. I have a pair of Cheaney desert boots and the answer is a very thick all-leather sole. I've worn mine in Dubai and India and my feet were the only cool part of me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

To summarise - commando if you are buying one pair. (I'm wearing commando soled Cheaney Tweed C right now!).
    Having spent all day Saturday wandering around Bath I can give a huge thumbs up to the Tweed C's. It was forecast to rain hence the commando sole choice but in the end we didn't encounter rain until the drive home. What I found particularly nice was not feeling every lump and bump from the cobbled streets and uneven footpaths like you would if wearing say a leather soled shoe.

^^^ agreed!

I also find the commando sole to be cool underfoot - there is a lot of air space between the sole and the floor.

I would also say the commando as they will allow a little gentle off road if need be.
    The leather would be my choice for town, just that bit more upmarket, looks wise.

I've got the commando sole on my Ilkleys, really like it, but it is a chunky beast, probably not the best choice if you want the smart office look

Brighty

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    If you're intending to wear these in Qatar I would have thought the significant question would be about how they insulate heat. I have a pair of Cheaney desert boots and the answer is a very thick all-leather sole. I've worn mine in Dubai and India and my feet were the only cool part of me.
    Thank you for your replies everyone! I think I'll go comando, as it were!

CB - my usual footwear here are Clarks Desert Boots - I've five different pairs! And they're bloody awful in the wet. Only today I went on my arse in a puddle of water on a tiled floor. I like the chunky looks of the comando soles, and normally wear chinos or Docker for work, rather than a suit, so I think I'm in!

OK, next question. Dealers? Where do people buy their Trickers? Herring shoes? I've not tried them on, so I guess I'd have to order a couple of pairs and keep the best fit? Any other words of wisdom, hive-mind? (Still slightly giddy at the thought of buying a pair of £400 shoes!)

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    So after trolling through lots of posts am I right in saying:

Church's - dropped in quality but not in price
    Loakes - go for their 1880 range
    Cheaney - good in a sale
    Trickers seem the best but expensive (to me)

I was looking for some shoes for winter with a rubber shoe sole so I don't fall on my arse but they all seem quite clunky and cumbersome in design to me compared to the leather soled designs. Obviously done to the extra thickness of the sole. I'm quite taken by some Cheaney James II brogues in the sale for £220.00 which to be honest is the most I think I'd be able to spend on a pair of shoes.
    Look on the Trickers eBay shop (RE Tricker) . They sell seconds at £250 and also auction some off - all brand new and you'll be hard pressed to find any fault with them, plus 30 day return if you don't like them - I've now bought two pairs and couldn't find any reason why they were "seconds". They also add new stock every day.

That's excellent advice, thank you. I'll buy a pair that fits, then I know my size, and I can go mad!

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Look on the Trickers eBay shop (RE Tricker) . They sell seconds at £250 and also auction some off - all brand new and you'll be hard pressed to find any fault with them, plus 30 day return if you don't like them - I've now bought two pairs and couldn't find any reason why they were "seconds". They also add new stock every day.
    Good shout. I'll take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    That's excellent advice, thank you. I'll buy a pair that fits, then I know my size, and I can go mad!
    Do they have your size as sound like what you are looking for ?

http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...eather-brogues

Heads up was from TZ on another thread

Master
    Debenhams currently have Loake Warton which are from the 1880 range at half price, not many sizes left.

http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/st...84010780673_-1

Not sure that these count as a full on "brogue", but they are far and away the nicest pair I have ever owned (or ever will own)...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Not sure that these count as a full on "brogue", but they are far and away the nicest pair I have ever owned (or ever will own)...

And what are these? I can see a whole cut upper and some nice fading.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    And what are these? I can see a whole cut upper and some nice fading.
    Berluti chelsea's in Venezia leather

Master
    Berluti chelsea's in Venezia leather
    I suspected as much. Ridiculously overpriced now but v.beautiful. They've got that fade so right. And now I want a pair

^^^ They were ridiculously 'overpriced' then, but that the leather is hand oiled and dyed helps me justify it to myself a little - plus the fact that they give me immense pleasure every time I wear them :)

Master
    ^^^ They were ridiculously 'overpriced' then, but that the leather is hand oiled and dyed helps me justify it to myself a little - plus the fact that they give me immense pleasure every time I wear them :)
    I 'invested' in 3 pairs of Berluti's back when they were cheaper. i've had a pair repatinated. Fantastic experience in the shops (as it should be). Really would like a pair of the tatoues but far too rich for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I 'invested' in 3 pairs of Berluti's back when they were cheaper. i've had a pair repatinated. Fantastic experience in the shops (as it should be). Really would like a pair of the tatoues but far too rich for me.
    Just had a look at these online, they do seem to be the Pateks of the footwear world. Lovely looking boots.

Craftsman
    Nice boots and great workmanship.

As to the question of leather or rubber, it's tricky. I kick down on the front of my shoes and boots and although many come with leather soles I have a topy put on as they last a lot longer. Even on expensive shoes and boots such as Edward Green I do this as it very expensive to get them replaced by EG.

I like dainite and commando soles and prefer them to leather in many ways as they are more versatile. Down side again repaire cost when being replaced once you hit the edge of the leather, on expensive boots I prefer getting them resoled by the maker rather that the local cobbler although I have a good one but they never get the stitching right and the quality shoe makers rebuild the shoe or boot and they come back looking new.

Also if you have not already looked check out Crockett and Jones as they do some classic boots and in my experience better quality to Churches and around the same price. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Another tick for commando, soles not downstairs.

Had my Grenson Fred's for two winters and they have been great.

Pitch

Blue suede today

what is the panels opinion on vibram or crepe rubber soles?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Cheaney summer sale on now: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/sale-c35

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Cheaney summer sale on now: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/sale-c35
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered two pairs of shoes and a pair of boots

Ha ha WTF?

They are so posh they have a dress code for the website. I guess you're wearing a polo shirt today?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'm in sports socks, plaid cargo shorts and a tee-shirt. Is it any wonder they didn't let me in! :(

Master
    The website was running very slowly earlier to the point where I was expecting the error screen on checkout, luckily my patience paid off for once.

Grenson Fred's @ £155 from End (never see them any cheaper)

Tan - leather sole

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...t-5068-02.html

Brown - commando sole

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...5068-452c.html

Black - leather sole

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...t-5068-01.html

....and Grenson Fred Triple Welts (hand made in Northamptonshire from skin to box) for a very decent saving (£285), and tan colour available. Really tempted by the tan scotch grain pair.

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...-5068g423.html

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...-5068g425.html

http://www.endclothing.com/gb/grenso...lt-110785.html

Master
    Grenson sale now on
    http://www.grenson.com/uk/sale.html

Love my Fred's and Archie's just got some scotties as well

Craftsman
    archies in blue suede look classy enough..

Heads up sale

25% off use code 25OFF at the checkout. I am not allowed any more but some of you might be lucky.

https://www.chatham.co.uk/country/me...oodyear_welted

Blog Entries
    Paraboot and Heschung rule for me.

I'm a sucker for a storm/norwegian welt :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!