closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vispring Mattress

Vispring Mattress

The wife's on at me to replace our 17 year old king size Sealy mattress which has served us well.

Recommendation is to pay as much as you can afford, and I've set a budget of £1,200.

For this price I can get an entry level Vispring Elite which even though it's the cheapest model they do, but is still lovely and comfortable.

But, since this is a 15+ year purchase, anyone got any long term experience to share?

Or anything that beats a Vispring for a similar price?
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 19th June 2016 at 10:42.

Unless there is some medical reason, I don't think you need to spend that much to be honest.

I looked into this about 8 weeks ago when I bought a new mattress. I ended up with a Breasley Pocket 1000 and I couldn't be happier with it. There are more expensive ones, I tried the Pocket 1600 which was dearer and less comfortable. The saleman told me the more expensive version was for people who were heavier, i.e. the cheaper product was more comfortable and more appropriate for me (and the dear lady on her side as well). I'm 70kg by the way.

The problem with mattresses is that even if you lie on them for fifteen minutes or even half an hour in the showroom, you are never going to know if you get on with it until you've had the thing at home for a few weeks.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Have a good read of this site:

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/

They offer a 60-night return period.

Blog Entries
    As I found out to my experience, there is no substitution for going to try them out...

I had a reasoanble budget, described what I wanted to the sales guy in Fenwicks... He took us to a mattress which we instantly liked and then tried another 20 and opted for the first one he recommended, because he listened and understood what we wanted... From memory it was one of the cheaper ones at around £450... I love it and always miss it when I'm travelling (and my wife too!!!)

Master
    We bought a Tempur Cloud, and it was very expensive compared to the others.

It was the best money I've ever spent and it is just bliss from the moment you lie on it, until the next morning.

Slightly warmer than sprung, but a lighter duvet sorted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Have a good read of this site:

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/

They offer a 60-night return period.
    Now rebranded to John Ryan. We have the artisan bespoke and it is excellent.

Avoid memorably foam

Just make you hot
    Absorb perspiration so will eventually break down

The ones they have in premier inn beds are meant to be amazing - not sure on cost but I find them great when travelling

Springs and not much else is the way forward

Master
    I'm on our second Vi Spring now. The first one - a Tiara Supreme lasted over 20 years and was still going well although a little softer so decided to change for zip and link model. The new one is also excellent and should last easily as long. However these are five figure purchases. Their less expensive models are very good value for money if you put quality first and value a good nights kip.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I'm on our second Vi Spring now. The first one - a Tiara Supreme lasted over 20 years and was still going well although a little softer so decided to change for zip and link model. The new one is also excellent and should last easily as long. However these are five figure purchases. Their less expensive models are very good value for money if you put quality first and value a good nights kip.
    Five figures ? As in 10 grand ? Shome mishtake shurely?

Master
    We have a vispring at home and a john lewis one at our holiday home which was about £800 and we prefer it, so go and try their own brand ones, its important to factor your weight in, and what you need firmness wise for your back....take the details of your current mattress with you when shopping. Pockets, size etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Just make you hot

The ones they have in premier inn beds are meant to be amazing - not sure on cost but I find them great when travelling

Very comfortable mattresses in the Premier inns though the factory beds direct does warn about spending long periods on them.
    You can buy them
    http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/faq/buy-our-bed.html
    http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk...-alternatives/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Just make you hot

Just ask for coolmax/maxicool covers on the mattress early memory foam matts didn't have these so they made you sweat newer matts have coolmax etc covers the amount of memory foam varies from 2.5cm to around 5cm a lesser density foam or Spring is used underneath

Buying a ViSpring was the best thing we ever did. The closest they do now to ours is the Superb i think (I know ours has a mix of horsehair, wool and cotton) and we have it topped with a wool topper from devonduvets.co.uk. It is like sleeping on a cloud, but with perfect support - we have a split tension mattress, so my half is a medium spring and wifey's is a soft spring - the benefit of having the wool topper is that it helps regulate temperature, so I never wake up hot and sweaty, regardless of the temperature in the room.

Honestly, neither of us have ever slept better than once we upgraded to it - worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Five figures ? As in 10 grand ? Shome mishtake shurely?
    Our current Vispring was £12,000 (we paid a bit less as it was ex-demo).

Given how much many people on here spend on watches, buying a good quality mattress which allows you to sleep well and prevent back pain is well worth doing. I'd get another one tomorrow if I needed a new mattress.
    Last edited by PhilipK; 20th June 2016 at 16:16.

Journeyman
    Wow, I've got back problems but, even stil, a spend like that on a mattress would make me wince - a new spine would be cheaper :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

Given how much many people on here spend on watches, buying a good quality mattress which allows you to sleep well and prevent back pain is well worth doing. I'd get another one tomorrow if I needed a new mattress.
    +1. You spend a third of your life lying down. Why not be comfortable? A watch can only tell the time. A good bed can affect quality of sleep.

I have had a vispring and loved it. However, second time around they were a bit more expensive so got a John Lewis one. Its OK but not as good as the vispring.

Craftsman
    Not tried the premier in beds but I did purchase the Sofitel mattresses last year after spending a few trips away in their hotels.

whats happened to the blue print?

Craftsman

Holy mother of god - 12 gees on a bed. I'd have sleepless nights for ever dropping that on a bed

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    Holy mother of god - 12 gees on a bed. I'd have sleepless nights for ever dropping that on a bed
    Comfortable ones though!

Master
    We had a ViSpring for many years and then, after much trying out of new beds including a memory foam (too hot for me), ended up with another one. I am pleased we did as its a great bed. Expensive, (not 10 grand though), but worth it I would say considering how much time we spend in it, good nights sleep etc, etc.

I have a Vi-Spring

Probably one of the best things I've ever bought, when it needs replacing I'll be buying another one. When you work out the daily cost and consider how much time you spend in bed it's an easy decision. Mine cost about £1600 so if it last 10 years that's 43 pence a day. Small price to pay for a comfortable nights sleep.

It's hard to explain the benefit of a decent mattress, you just need to buy one and you'll be converted, warm in Winter, Cool in Summer and just so comfortable would be a start.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 20th June 2016 at 13:53.

Master
    I went for a Somnus as the store had that and a Vi Spring and said you pay a fair bit more for the name with VS. I still paid £3k just for the mattress and have been very pleased with it. That was after trying a memory foam one which was like being broiled in one's own body heat, fortunately the store had a returns policy that covered it.

I also recommend the Devon duvets mattress topper. Brings a luxury finish to any mattress

Another recommendation for the guys at John Ryan (http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/) I've purchase one, ordered another and planning to get a couple more.

Good advice from them and the website is full of information to ensure you make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    whats happened to the blue print?
    Apologies - now fixed for you. :-) My excuse is that I was using Tapatalk to post from an A&E waiting room at Le Mans hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    Who said anything about a bed?! That was just for the mattress (albeit superking, and half firm/half medium zip & link) - the bed itself was a separate purchase. On the positive side, the cats enjoy sleeping on it...

Craftsman
    I worked part time at John Lewis while I was at University (Seems like a lifetime ago now!) and I worked in the Bedroom Furniture department...When I first joined I was shocked at the cost of Vi-Spring Mattresses and wondered who would actually buy them...That was until John Lewis sent us on a training course to the Vi-Spring Factory in Plymouth...We learned that they only use the most top quality sustainable materials...As has already been mentioned, horse hair, lambswool and silk...The mattresses themselves are built to last and the quality control process is extremely rigorous. In fact while we were there, the quality inspector actually rejected one mattress because the stitching was slightly skewed...It was sent back to be redone correctly...Whether or not that was for our benefit I don't know but it showed how much attention to detail they have.

Usually spring mattresses (Pocket sprung or open coil) have 5 coils...Vi-Spring mattresses have 6...Hence Vi-Spring...It provides more support and is more durable.
    The Queen sleeps on a specially made Vi-Spring mattress...Most of the Royal family are customers...
    The Titanic was furnished with Vi-spring mattresses...

I came back much more informed than before and quickly realised that most people who buy a Vi-Spring already know what they want because they have owned one previously. First time buyers are initially shocked at the price and find it impossible to fathom how a mattress can be so expensive but once you explain it to them, they do feel differently...

At the moment we have a king size memory foam mattress we bought from Amazon...It cost £109 delivered but it is very, very good...We have been sleeping comfortably since we got it a few months ago. We needed a mattress quickly and this was supposed to be an interim solution but the missus likes it so much that it looks like we will be keeping it...But if I could afford a Vi-Spring, I would get one...

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfreek View Post
    But if I could afford a Vi-Spring, I would get one...
    It's all relative, but I've been quoted £959 (plus a free Vispring mattress protector) for a king size entry level Vispring Elite mattress. It may be entry level but still has 1254 pocketed springs.

We are going to check it out, but if it's anything like the one in John Lewis that costs a few hundred pounds more with 1400 springs, I'll be happy.

Thanks for all your input.

Oh f**k. The misused tried the £1,000 one and then the £3,600 one - she really, really wants the £3,600 one.

It'll be my Rolex she says.

As the Op, I thought I'd come full circle on this. I was in John Lewis Kingston yesterday, and I was browsing around the clearance section where they pile up a few mattresses which the sell off at a sizeable discount as the usually have a few scuffs.

Per chance the had one of these special buys which I understand are quite competitively priced anyway.

https://m.johnlewis.com/vispring-spe...size/p/1759172

This one said cancelled order on the label, but had a couple of marks from what looked like it had caught the floor a couple of times, but no rips or tears and more importantly had not been slept on. The more than 40% discount was too tempting and I bought it after trying the same display bed.

The wife went in today to make sure it was the right bed for her, and she was delighted. Phew, saved me a couple of grand over the other mattress she wanted.

Anyway, I don't know if other John Lewis stores do the same, but maybe useful tip for someone, so thought I'd post.