closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono

Apprentice

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono

Hi All

A couple of months ago I bought a second hand Omega Seamaster (Bond style) Chrono. I've not really bonded with the watch as I thought I would and am now drawn towards The Planet Ocean Chrono.

I believe is is quite a bit bigger than the Bond chrono and would be grateful for any info regarding comments on size. Also is there anywhere I can get pictures of it in the dark showing the Liminescence.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Master
    I think the PO is about 45mm.
    The lume will be excellent.
    I'm surprised that you haven't bonded with your SMP chrono.
    I have a replica of that watch and I love it!

Grand Master

Re: Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by davidb
    I believe is is quite a bit bigger than the Bond chrono and would be grateful for any info regarding comments on size.
    Sure - it's vast. Huge. 46mm across, and 18mm deep. It's not for shrinking violets or people will small wrists, unless they want to appear schackled. It also has a dodgy, problem-prone movement.

I am sure the luminescence will be as good as the regular Planet Ocean, which is very good.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Apprentice
    Don't get me wrong the SMP Chrono is a lovely watch but for me it looked better in the pictures than on my wrist. Maybe I am just fussy but I jus kind of get a feeling when a watch is right. I think it is the skeleton hands I can't get on with mostly.

As far as the Planet Ocean goes, I thought the lume would be good and I like the design of the dial and hands.

The only thing I worry about is the size, although only slightly deeper than the SMP it is obviously quite a bit wider although I would imagine depth is more of an issue.

I have had a few watches in my time and that extra mm makes all the difference when it is on the wrist.

Must admit I hadn't heard anything about a problem rpone movement, anywhere I can get any info on that?

Have you looked at the black dialled SMP chrono instead? Has the sword hands rather than the skeleton, and a different movement.

The 'dodgy movement' comment refers to Omega 33xx series calibres, which have had problems. I had 2 watches with 3301 movements and both were fine, however.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice
    I must admit the black dial SMP Chrono was the other choice when I bought the blue dial version and it was the one I had a better feeling for.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of listening to "the other half" who commented that a blue dial looks better than a black one, sadly I took her advice.

Since then and having looked at the PO dial I kind of like the hands which look a bit different.

I suppose in my mind the watches I go for are ones that look "a bit different" from the rest if you get my meaning.

The nicest Omega SMP chrono I have seen is the one I have listed on Sales Corner and with it being titanium its light and a pleasure to wear

I am only selling because finances dictate

Master
    Here's a shot of my SMP Chrono with my Sinn. Not the greatest pic but I'm not much of a photographer. I keep it on a winder when not wearing it and haven't noticed any lost time and no problems (knock on wood) with the movement at all.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Have you looked at the black dialled SMP chrono instead? Has the sword hands rather than the skeleton, and a different movement.
    I'd go with that one (not keen on Bond style in general) but for the fact that it also sports a 33xx movement. Mechanical chronos are fragile enough as it is, without adding a dodgy design into the mix.

Master
    I thought the new movement had been sorted now?

I don't especially follow the Omega forums, but I haven't seen many reports of problems recently, so it seems fixed. It was always a minority of movements anyway.

Damn, this is making me miss the AT Chrono I used to have and consider replacing it.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice
    I must say I do like the Titanium SMP even prefer it to the black bezel version, although both look good.

I am sorely tempted by the Titanium one but I'll never get that one past the wife without selling my Bond version first.

Any idea of the depth of the Titanium SMP? most websites only seem to mention width.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I don't especially follow the Omega forums, but I haven't seen many reports of problems recently, so it seems fixed. It was always a minority of movements anyway.
    It's only ever a minority of movements, Dave :wink:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker
    I thought the new movement had been sorted now?
    This guy has much to say about Omega's 3301, 3303 and 3313 movements, amongst other things:

http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com

I'm no Omega chronograph expert but it seems to be the hellishly complicated coax, column-wheel, nuclear-powered, twin downdraught, direct-injection 3313 in the Planet Ocean chrono that gives people a headache. The problems appear to stem from its complexity and relative fragility, so are systemic rather than something you can bug-fix along the way.

With watches featuring complex, delicate movements you might be better off buying one that's proved itself in service or been fixed, rather than a new one. It'll save you a bundle as well, and there's always a good choice of used POs around.

Master
    I have owned both chronos and I evolved to the PO chrono and do not regret it.

Not a small watch by any means but I prefer them big and this one fits the bill.

Craftsman
    Now, why the F..K would you want to support the Mafia with buying their fake watches...

Craftsman
    by the way davidb, I'd keep the SMPChrono if I was you. It's a well proven watch. + the size is just perfect :-) The PO is more a fashion-thing with its big size, IMHO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SD
    Now, why the F..K would you want to support the Mafia with buying their fake watches...
    :evil:
    There is very little evidence to support this.
    So what if it does? The watch cost a tiny fraction of the price of the genuine article and it works just as well.

I assume that all of your software, music and DVDs are legit?
    I've just bought a new laptop and it's the first time I've actually owned a licensed copy of Windows since 1998.

PO Chrono

The PO Chrono is one of my favourite watches of all time. I even had two for a while. :o
    Tried to sell my last one here on TZ UK but I am actually quite pleased it didn't sell now because it's a stunning watch. I really liked the regular Bond Seamaster too though.

Apprentice
    I think from all the kind replies and general searching around that although the PO is a lovely looking watch, great layout and smart hands, the size is probably a bit big. I don't have a small wrist but it seems like it would be a big bit of metal hanging off the end of the arm. Shame Omega don't do a similar dial/hands in a smaller watch.

The SMP Chrono which I considered before seems to be the next best choice although the Black bezel insert concerns me as it could easily be scratched in which case the Titanium version seems a good solution to the problem.

I have a Breitling Aerospace (before they ruined the dial) which is Titanium it is unbelievably lightweight and just doesn't scratch like Steel in fact it barely shows scratches at all.

Need to sell the SMP Chrono first and perhaps a higher post count before I risk the wrath of sales corner :shock:

By the way, anyone know the depth of the SMP Chrono black dial?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidb
    By the way, anyone know the depth of the SMP Chrono black dial?
    300M

Journeyman
    [quote=derek_faker]
    Quote Originally Posted by SD
    Quote Originally Posted by "derek_faker":1dc2qf24
    :evil:
    There is very little evidence to support this.
    So what if it does? The watch cost a tiny fraction of the price of the genuine article and it works just as well.

I assume that all of your software, music and DVDs are legit?
    I've just bought a new laptop and it's the first time I've actually owned a licensed copy of Windows since 1998.[/quote:1dc2qf24]

I bet that HEV doesn't work.