closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is gardening in your priorities?

Master

Where is gardening in your priorities?

If you have one that is. Ours is a self seeding garden - if it plants itself - it grows. I spend more time considering which weed to pull out than doing it. In other words I don't enjoy gardening but the grass has to be cut so just invested in a cordless mower to make life easier as I'm so cheesed off with cords, extension leads, circuit protectors etc.
    Other than that, yuk!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just below colonic irrigation, but above felching

Just below pulling out my nasal hair with tweezers

I like the look of a tidy garden, but don't enjoy doing any of it.

Blog Entries
    Just spent an absolute fortune think six Rolex subs on the garden so very important in our lives in fact love it but I am retired

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    just below colonic irrigation, but above felching
    This.

Master
    Just below anal bleaching (no idea what that actually is but sounds nasty).

I spent a fortune on my current garden last year. Most of the money went to covering as much as possible with stone of some sort. I'd path the whole thing if I could.

I generally speak to my gardener when he comes every other Sunday but let him make all the decisions.
    I've given up trying to help him though and we are both happier for that.
    I think I should perhaps borrow a lawn mower occasionally as watching him cut the grass with a pair of garden shears looks hard work.

Master
    I like a nice garden mine in the UK, back one is 0.25 acre in size, with lawns, borders gravel BBQ area, fruit trees, fruit bushes and outdoor bar.
    Looking after it all, when I'm in the UK that is, is, I imagine a lot of work, I'll ask the gardeners nice time I see them

Journeyman
    I have a wife for that sort of thing. She's somewhere beneath gadgets.

Beneath contempt. If a job is worth doing, it's worth getting someone else to do it.

I like a well kept garden,but I don't enjoy doing it and having young children it doesn't stay looking good for long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New thread in Boys Room perchance? Tidy Bushes......

Uphill or downtown?

Sent from the helm of NCC1701-D using LCARS.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    No interest whatsoever.

One of the real benefits of living in an apartment with communal gardens is that a little man (or, in our case, two little men) come round once a week and do the gardening.

My parents were avid gardeners, and we lived in a bungalow with approximately a third of an acre of gardens when I were a lad.

On Saturdays you mowed the lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Just below pulling out my nasal hair with tweezers
    I quite enjoy that

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    New thread in Boys Room perchance? Tidy Bushes......
    I'll get on it right away

Mrs Goat and I like our garden, it's divided into "rooms" if you like, amounts to about 1/3 acre of fairly high maintenance garden, it's a fair amount of work but gives great pleasure for us, friends and family through the summer- would give up a lot of other things first.
    here's the country garden bit

and a quiet sitting area, for a pimms or 2

and some summer fruit and veg- herbs, alliums and soft fruit, potatoes beans and courgettes at the rear

we are lucky in that we overlook the new forest national park to the rear, and that doesn'nt need any maintenance!
    Goat
    Last edited by GOAT; 23rd June 2016 at 22:27.

is that a young cherry tree on the right?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Gardening doesn't even register as being a "thing"....I'd rather stick live wasps up me Chad.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    is that a young cherry tree on the right?
    No, that's a Malus John Downie - a flowering crab apple and one of the best value for money trees you could ever own- blossom in spring , followed by masses of green apples through summer turning red into autumn and lasting after the last leaves have gone- a spectacular tree to have, golden hornet is another good variety. My first planting whenever we move house.
    Goat

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    No, that's a Malus John Downie - a flowering crab apple and one of the best value for money trees you could ever own- blossom in spring , followed by masses of green apples through summer turning red into autumn and lasting after the last leaves have gone- a spectacular tree to have, golden hornet is another good variety. My first planting whenever we move house.
    Goat
    if only you'd told me ten years ago! sadly i don't have room for any more trees.your garden is beautifully tended by the way . mine is a bit more 'ultra-organic' ahem.
    your veg is also in fine fettle. its been a crap year up here so far. cold to start, then very wet - a lot of slugs and the monster pigeons have taken their toll.
    Last edited by seikopath; 23rd June 2016 at 23:04.

Craftsman
    Love my garden!

Goat - yours looks absolutely stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Gardening doesn't even register as being a "thing"....I'd rather stick live wasps up me Chad.
    Nope. I actually don't think you would...

Master
    Gardening is great but only up hill

My dad was (and is) obsessed with his garden, you know you're a man when you've spent a bank holiday digging out a tree!

Not a massive garden (about 20m x 20m) for the back. Spent last summer doing a rockery on the front.

I like a few ornaments in the back

Craftsman
    Never was of interest although always liked plants. Unwell last year so had a go with pots and sunflowers. Fantastic.

So did it again this year but thought I would give tomatoes a go. Bit boring in term of visuals. But made a galleon. Growing well so far and like a ghostly ship at night.

Image1466724752.566745.jpg

Image1466724787.875923.jpg

Sorry having problems getting the photos up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Naesuk; 24th June 2016 at 00:35.

Love our garden and find the whole thing very relaxing - well, mentally relaxing, sometimes physically exhausting!
    Recently moved to a house with a much larger garden, spent October and November tidying it up, spring trying to work out what plants and flowers we had, and now it looks great. I should add there's also a decent sized games room and basketball court for my boys (and me) within the garden so it's more of an extension of the house than a garden in some ways. Also keeps the wife quiet and happy - she can spend hours wandering about with the hose and secateurs which she never did in our old 'urban' garden

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post

I like a few ornaments in the back

wtf is that cannon for
    have you got neighbour problems or something?

Craftsman
    An Englishman's home is his castle and all that!

What better to guard a castle with that a cannon? Or a dragon!!

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    I like the look of a tidy garden, but don't enjoy doing any of it.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    wtf is that cannon for
    have you got neighbour problems or something?
    Just amused me, my kids and those down the street, besides, you never know when it may come in handy:)

Master
    I don't mind cutting the grass but that's about it, we have no flowers or borders, just lawns. Keeps things simple and less to think about.

Our garden is probably as important as our house. It ranks as Mrs A's no 1 hobby. I would guess she spends 4 days out of seven on the garden. I add about another 1 day per week to that for grass cutting and general maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have had no interest in gardens, ever. My dad has always loved theirs but to me, they're a pain in the backside.

I think I moved our lawn about 3 times in 14 years at my last house. Hated it. Thanks to the mrs, we had a nicely kept turf.

However, since moving home in December I've started to think about things differently. We moved to a blank canvas (new build in 2012, previous owners did nothing) and I've cut the lawn at least 10 times since being here - now have a petrol mower (a fantastic freebie) and a cordless strimmer. Now trying to design the ruddy thing and am absolutely clueless on what to do. We had decking installed earlier this month to get rid of the bland plain look but we've much more to do.

Oh how I wish I now had an idea what I wanted. I'm pretty sure in the coming months and years the garden is going to be something I take a lot of time and care over.

I like a nice garden - who wants to live in a dump?

That said my job is lawn mowing and pruning (the hard work) and my wife does the planting, hanging baskets etc etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Have had no interest in gardens, ever. My dad has always loved theirs but to me, they're a pain in the backside.

I think I moved our lawn about 3 times in 14 years at my last house. Hated it. Thanks to the mrs, we had a nicely kept turf.

However, since moving home in December I've started to think about things differently. We moved to a blank canvas (new build in 2012, previous owners did nothing) and I've cut the lawn at least 10 times since being here - now have a petrol mower (a fantastic freebie) and a cordless strimmer. Now trying to design the ruddy thing and am absolutely clueless on what to do. We had decking installed earlier this month to get rid of the bland plain look but we've much more to do.

Oh how I wish I now had an idea what I wanted. I'm pretty sure in the coming months and years the garden is going to be something I take a lot of time and care over.
    Try visiting a few gardens. Not just NT ones on the grand scale go to a few NGS events locally and see what other ordinary folks do to their gardens.

http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/find-a...esultsbookmark

I hate it and put it just above spending an evening with Chris Evans and Tony Blair

I mow the lawn, nothing else. Wife does a bit here and there but mostly it has "natural borders". A pay a local guy to cut our massive expanse of tall hedges. Takes him a day and a half. No idea how he makes a profit but all he asks is £100 cash and a few cups of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesuk View Post
    Never was of interest although always liked plants. Unwell last year so had a go with pots and sunflowers. Fantastic.

So did it again this year but thought I would give tomatoes a go. Bit boring in term of visuals. But made a galleon. Growing well so far and like a ghostly ship at night.

Image1466724752.566745.jpg

Image1466724787.875923.jpg

Sorry having problems getting the photos up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great idea. May have a go at that myself

I am not. "Gardener" , nor am I good at gardening .......but , I do enjoy it.

Spending my life at a desk in front of a PC as a job , I do enjoy heading out spending an hour or two 3 times per week doing the garden.

Mr & Mrs Goat's garden is beautiful .....but it's also a garden from a pair who look like they know what they are doing.

I'm more simple (garden that is) .....grass and shrubs .

^Thanks!
    I can assure you it's more luck than judgement though!
    visiting a few local NGS properties can inspire you ,and more importantly, let you know what grows well in your soil and climate.Other than that, look on plant labels to see what flowers and when , and try to keep some interest and colour going for as long as possible.Veggies are quite easy really, prepare the soil and compost it, then try your hand- you soon get to know what works and what's more trouble than it's worth.

Craftsman
    About as important as this:

This is about a 20th of our garden. We both work full time but really enjoying spending our spare time caring for it.

A few years ago my answer would have been on a par with the majority here.

However, then we had over over two acres and it was overwhelming to maintain: all I did was sit on the lawn-tractor and cut the grass (and that took too much of my weekend for my liking) and the rest was done by gardeners. Having down-sized to a far more manageable size I've slowly developed into an amateur gardener, SWMBO being the director of my work (she knows about these things) and I've developed a real interest in growing vegetables: this is out third year of having a veg plot and we've been quite successful with the results.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Since having the garden newly turfed following an extension where the garden became a tip, I am now almost obsessed with the lawn. It is cut twice a week, weather permitting so my little boy can play. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lawn weed killer?

Grand Master
    hate it with a passion.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Since having the garden newly turfed following an extension where the garden became a tip, I am now almost obsessed with the lawn. It is cut twice a week, weather permitting so my little boy can play. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lawn weed killer?
    We use Greenthumb

https://www.greenthumb.co.uk

Probably works out cheaper than buying stuff from the garden centre. Used them for 15 years and never seen a weed.

I like being in a nice garden, I like someone else to do the gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    We use Greenthumb
    Thank you for the link!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    I like being in a nice garden, I like someone else to do the gardening.
    Likewise.

Luckily her indoors likes gardening and I like cooking so we have a division of labour that works.