closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speedbird 3 prototype

Very nice prototypes Eddie. Things have really started to take off.

Craftsman
    Looks like I'll be selling some watches to fund this one. Is there a price yet, so I can work out how many I need to part with..?

Given those nice fitted end pieces on that bracelet, I don't suppose they can do something similar for the PRS-14?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by odj
    I'm a little confused about the brewing bracelet v.s. strap controversy. The bracelet, after all, is not welded in place.
    Nothing brewing at all, and no controversy. If you're going to wear a watch on leather, why have a redundant bracelet sitting in a drawer? Better to buy it on leather in the first place, isn't it?

Ideally, you have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    I'm a little confused about the brewing bracelet v.s. strap controversy. The bracelet, after all, is not welded in place.
    Nothing brewing at all, and no controversy. If you're going to wear a watch on leather, why have a redundant bracelet sitting in a drawer? Better to buy it on leather in the first place, isn't it?

But I only get one hit at ordering the bracelets at the right price, if I have to go back to order just a few then I have to pay a higher price for them. That's why the SB3 is going to be supplied on bracelet.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

But I only get one hit at ordering the bracelets at the right price, if I have to go back to order just a few then I have to pay a higher price for them. That's why the SB3 is going to be supplied on bracelet.

Eddie
    I can understand why many would want that style of watch on leather, but that bracelet is very nice. I think that it may change some minds once on the wrist.

Master

Re: Speedbird 3 prototype

Only received the case and bracelet, dial hands and crystal still not ready. I'm particularly impressed with the fit of the custom endpieces. The tube for the screw down crown is a threaded tube into the case, not friction fit.

Eddie
    Eddie,

I am having trouble figuring out which parts are attached to the case and which of the "stick out bits" are part of the bracelet. Is there any chance that you could show a picture of the case with a strap on it? Will there be "bits" of metal that stick out over a strap? Perhaps I am just being dense this morning.... (Why should this one be any different?)

Thanks,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by alljay

I am having trouble figuring out which parts are attached to the case and which of the "stick out bits" are part of the bracelet. Is there any chance that you could show a picture of the case with a strap on it? Will there be "bits" of metal that stick out over a strap? Perhaps I am just being dense this morning.... (Why should this one be any different?)

Thanks,

Jay
    My feeling is ... it's a traditional attachment as per DN.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by alljay

Thanks,

Jay
    My feeling is ... it's a traditional attachment as per DN.

john
    I concur, that's whau it looks like to me too.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I'm not a fan of bracelets... but this one is absolutely fantastic imho.
    In fact it's one of the nicest I've seen for a long time.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I think it's much easier to get an aftermarket strap that works well than it is to get an aftermarket bracelet (case in point PRS-14). I'll also be looking for a strap to change into on occasion but am very pleased with this bracelet. Good product packaging choice Eddie and outstanding bracelet selection.

Rick

Apprentice
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!!!

Looks great!

Btw, the bracelet design looks just like the one IWC uses for the
    Mark XVI. That bracelet design and the pilot watch is a match made
    in heaven, awesome choice Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lartymarf
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!!!

Looks great!

First thing I thought when I saw the combo. Some doctor who attends at my church has an IWC pilot with the bracelet and it looks fab.

Mark XVI.
    That bracelet design and the pilot watch is a match made
    It's similar but also different. :wink:

john
    Every watch a story.

Always buy a watch on the bracelet if offered buying one after the fact is crazy money while straps can be inexpensive.

I wonder what the face and its furniture will look like?

I am ready for a surprise.

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    When :?:

That possibilty did cross my mind, actually.

Not a problem.

Eddie

Just by looking at the case and bracelet I would buy it and wear it as it stands.!

One of the best bracelet-to-case matches I have ever seen.!

Thanks
    deano

Nothing brewing at all, and no controversy. If you're going to wear a watch on leather, why have a redundant bracelet sitting in a drawer? Better to buy it on leather in the first place, isn't it? Ideally, you have a choice.
    Fair enough. I'm still in for one. Anyway, hunting down the right strap for a watch is such good sport. :)

Grand Master
    Your point is well-taken, Eddie, and I said I liked the bracelet anyway.

Two thoughts, though:

(1) Please make sure there is a supply of extra links for the BWC members. :wink:

(2) How about supplying a Precista-marked simple 18mm pin-buckle for those who would like to wear it on leather?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!!!

Looks great!

First thing I thought when I saw the combo. Some doctor who attends at my church has an IWC pilot with the bracelet and it looks fab.
    Ok, Ok, I was going to guess United Methodist, but then you seem too conservative for that, which immediately brings up Baptist, but you appear educated so that can't be right. The Blackadder also precludes Baptist or any other fundamentalist denomination, which likely means it's not independent. Considering you have a Dr. attending services, your choice of whiskey is Scotch, and your location is New Jersey (Princeton), I am thinking Presbyterian.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Nothing brewing at all, and no controversy. If you're going to wear a watch on leather, why have a redundant bracelet sitting in a drawer? Better to buy it on leather in the first place, isn't it? Ideally, you have a choice.
    Fair enough. I'm still in for one. Anyway, hunting down the right strap for a watch is such good sport. :)
    Looks great and I'm in the same boat as this chap... gonna hunt down the best leather possible to marry it all up.

Waiting....!

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    Eddie

Just by looking at the case and bracelet I would buy it and wear it as it stands.!

Thanks
    deano
    Ditto that!

I'm not much of a bracelet fan, but the Dreadnought's is such a great one - and this looks to follow.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!!!

Looks great!

Ok, Ok, I was going to guess United Methodist, but then you seem too conservative for that, which immediately brings up Baptist, but you appear educated so that can't be right. The Blackadder also precludes Baptist or any other fundamentalist denomination, which likely means it's not independent. Considering you have a Dr. attending services, your choice of whiskey is Scotch, and your location is New Jersey (Princeton), I am thinking Presbyterian.
    I like that detective streak :D :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    Eddie

Thanks
    deano
    Ditto that!

I'm not much of a bracelet fan, but the Dreadnought's is such a great one - and this looks to follow.

R
    With reagrds to changing the bracelet to a strap I came across this another forum...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=118991

What would be required for the SB3 to have a leather strap? Is it going to necessitate a trip to a watchmaker and/or (gulp) power tools?

Question for Eddie may be?

Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    (1) Please make sure there is a supply of extra links for the BWC members. :wink:
    I seem to be Martin's dark-matter opposite.

I hope that enough links can be removed to fit a 6.0-6.25" wrist. Usually it requires 4 fixed and the rest removable on either side to adequately fit such a small diameter.

So many stock bracelets cannot fit smaller wrists -- although most surprisingly, many that are JDM fit into this category. (I have the best luck with German bracelets, oddly.)

-j

That bracelet does look really nice, I may have to get one of these :)

Looks like this one will be perfect - if the lugs are drilled, that is.

I should have started saving money already, if I want to buy this watch in 2008...

Craftsman
    :D This is looking excellent. I have to admit to likeing a bracelet on a watch, but it is very difficult to get the right bracelet with the right watch. I am wearing a 1960's semaster with a omega rice grain bracelet right now and it works well I think, but put the bracelet on my Omega 600 and it just isn't right. I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole package together.

John

Journeyman
    I'm not very impressed by the '0 Bar' water resistance, as marked on the prototype case back. Mind you, without the crown or crystal fitted, its absolutely correct. :)

Two things I do like in particular:

1. The vertical side brushing - this gives it a much more weighty look. Will this be the slightly concave machining like the PRS17? This makes it look flat from a wider range of angles, and in my opinion is rather nice (& unusual).

2. That bracelet - like the lumpy fitted to my 17C it makes the whole seem more than the sum of its parts, if you know what I mean.

Journeyman
    Looks superb, thought the case would look bulkier, love that bracelet too! :)

Dont you guys think the crown is a bit thin? - Please dont get me wrong - I could easily live with that crown but would p personally refer a bit chunkier

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    Dont you guys think the crown is a bit thin? - Please dont get me wrong - I could easily live with that crown but would p personally refer a bit chunkier
    I have to admit to having a similar passing thought. It could be just the angle of the picture though. Based on the mechanical drawing (which doesn't include a dimension for the crown thickness) I had the impression it was more substantial. I also wasn't expecting the Precista "P" engraved since the Speedbirds are categorized separately from the Precista watches on the Timefactors website. No complaints here though. Just some observations.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickf
    I have to admit to having a similar passing thought. It could be just the angle of the picture though. Based on the mechanical drawing (which doesn't include a dimension for the crown thickness) I had the impression it was more substantial. I also wasn't expecting the Precista "P" engraved since the Speedbirds are categorized separately from the Precista watches on the Timefactors website. No complaints here though. Just some observations.

Rick
    There won't be a "P" on the crown. The drawing shows the crown at 6.4mm and on the SBII it's 6.00. I can always ask for it to be beefed up to 7.5mm if that's what people want.

Eddie

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Rick
    There won't be a "P" on the crown. The drawing shows the crown at 6.4mm and on the SBII it's 6.00. I can always ask for it to be beefed up to 7.5mm if that's what people want.

Eddie

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

I really would prefer a bigger crown. - One should remember that when the watch is put together with the back & crystal it will look thicker than on the pics showed. This is a beefed up SB design and especially with that chunky bracelet I cant but to think that a bigger crown would be better suited for the SB3.

I vote for the 7,5mm crown.

Thanks!

I'll check out a 25mm crown for those who like a really big one. :wink:

Eddie

I'll check out a 25mm crown for those who like a really big one. :wink:

Eddie
    :shock:

John Holmes of the crowns then, eh? :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for the 7.5mm crown here. Dainty crowns are for dress watches.

Just a reminder that a bigger crown and an unchanged stem means more torque on the winding/setting mechanism. This in turn can lead to reliability problems.

Just my 2p.

I love the case but dislike any kind of bracelet on this style of watch and those double deployments in particular.

To my mind bracelets are either practical double clasped affairs like the Rolex and Seiko ones or heavy steel jewellery. I'm only interested in the former, but that's just me.

I'm hugely excited about this project now but because of that increasingly concerned about one thing. Bad execution of the hands ruined the SBII for me. IWC quality should be the target here does any body know what materials they use?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Just a reminder that a bigger crown and an unchanged stem means more torque on the winding/setting mechanism. This in turn can lead to reliability problems.

Just my 2p.
    Theoretically yes but I doubt that would be a real issue.

Just my 002

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Bad execution of the hands ruined the SBII for me. IWC quality should be the target here does any body know what materials they use?
    IWC quality = IWC price tag I am afraid :roll:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalu

Just my 2p.
    Theoretically yes but I doubt that would be a real issue.

Just my 002

Surely a bigger crown would make no difference at all to the torque :?:

Cheers :)

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Bad execution of the hands ruined the SBII for me. IWC quality should be the target here does anybody know what materials they use?
    IWC quality = IWC price tag I am afraid :roll:
    But for the hands alone it might be worth it?

I've been really impressed with Fricker's hands so far and the hands on the PRS 10 prototype look superb. So maybe they can do it in the current budget.

If you can get that quality on a £50 watch it might be worth investing a little more in one in the SBIIIs class. To get you from great to exquisite?

Master
    I think the crown size is right for that case. Bigger is not always better, it's about having the proportions right.

Quote Originally Posted by Si
    I think the crown size is right for that case. Bigger is not always better, it's about having the proportions right.
    Exactly. - And thats why the crown should be bigger :)

Rick

Eddie

Eddie
    It's hard for me to picture what 6.0, 6.4 or 7.5 would look like on this case. I can say though that the proportions of the crown and case on the SB1 definitely look better to me than those of the SB2. I'd like to see the SB3 emulate the same proportions as the SB1. Whatever crown size that may equate to.

Rick

Apprentice
    I think the crown size is right for that case.
    Second that.

This is not a dive or tool watch.

I think the crown size is right for that case.
    Second that.

This is not a dive or tool watch.
    Thirded. Can we please have a watch that isn't enormous, oversized, gigantic, massive, and super-sized? Even at 39mm diameter, it's on the largish size, that's approaching Sub and SMP territory!