closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battle of the Reds

Battle of the Reds

Hi Everyone,

I've always liked the colour red, methinks red also looks good on a watch too! So here's a photography lesson to Jocke...... NOT !

41mm Omega Seamaster. This Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010 model when released in 2009 came in for a bit of critisism at the time, the second hand in particular received quite a panning. When I first saw pics of it I thought 'I really like that!' and whilst in Lake Bled in 2011 I handled one in the AD there and it was always on the hit list since then. I bought this baby early 2014.

40mm Eterna Super KonTiki. Late 90's to about mid 2000's. The red dial is gorgeous!

OK so one is only a proper red watch as t'other is a white dial coupled with red bezel:

Omega does seems larger than Eterna even though there's only a measly 1mm case size difference, maybe the helium crown on the Seamaster makes it appear bigger?

Bracelets. Very different! The Omega has a folding clasp and the Eterna has a butterfly clasp:

How do I think these two reds compare against each other? Quality wise they are on an even par. On my 7.25 inch wrist however the Eterna though just feels that much better!

So for me the final result is close but ends up Eterna 1 Omega 0.

Thanks for REaDing

Cheers
    Mark

p.s. the Guzzi is actually black

Master
    I've always wondered about Eterna I hope they keep on going as they seem a bit lost but every report including yours mentions their quality . Jomashop has 80% off Eterna. In a way it's a little sad as it's almost a bit off putting despite the bargains on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I've always wondered about Eterna I hope they keep on going as they seem a bit lost but every report including yours mentions their quality . Jomashop has 80% off Eterna. In a way it's a little sad as it's almost a bit off putting despite the bargains on offer.
    Older Eternas are in a different league.

1mm does look a big difference IMO. I got a sarb033 a few weeks ago, it's 1mm smaller than my daily wearer and i dont like it, i think it looks far too small.

Oh and that seamaster is awesome. 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I forgot to add that the Seamaster and KonTiki both measure the same 47mm lug to lug as well as sharing the same 20mm lug width. Weight wise the Seamaster is 20g heavier.

Cheers
    Mark

The Kontikis are nice and bring some fun and colour to the dive watch theme.

The Seamaster though - I just love that model. The red bezel sets of that ice white dial so well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The Kontikis are nice and bring some fun and colour to the dive watch theme.

The Seamaster though - I just love that model. The red bezel sets of that ice white dial so well.
    That summed it up perfectly for me !

I do like those Kontikis, very nice indeed. You don't see them around much anymore, either.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    What's wrong with the second hand on the Omega? I think it's a really nice touch! In the same way that I like the RR emblem on the end of the second hand on a Ball.

I'd take it over the 2016 olympic issue Omega!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Older Eternas are in a different league.
    +1......the old ones were quality. Not sure about the current offerings.

Paul

Master
    The Omega would look stunning but I just can't like the Olympic rings on the second hand. Just looks weird to me.

I like both but,,,
    dont like the second hand on the white
    not sure how long i would like the red for

Interesting in that the last couple of replies confirm a dislike for this particular SMP's second hand. It personally doesn't bother me and I actually like it.

A red dial like the Eterna is a bold colour for a watch and I probably couldn't live with it if I only had one or two watches however I have quite a few in my collection and generally wear them in equal rotation so wearing it once every dozen days or so.........

I don't know if any Soprano fans here might remember the red dial watch that Big Pussy Bonpensiero always wore? I'm guessing a Rolex of some kind?

Cheers for the comments!
    Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    What's wrong with the second hand on the Omega? I think it's a really nice touch! In the same way that I like the RR emblem on the end of the second hand on a Ball.

I'd take it over the 2016 olympic issue Omega!
    +1 for the Omega, loving white faced watches and the Olympic rings are the most sensational design, so why not on a watch.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    +1 for the Omega, loving white faced watches and the Olympic rings are the most sensational design, so why not on a watch.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    Glad I'm not the only one... I'm feeling like a minority in this thread ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk