closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Customer Service

Banned
    Blog Entries

Apple Customer Service

On Saturday night I had a bit of a run in with a couple of guys, long and short of it was that my Iphone 6 was badly smashed, and the casing was bent, thankfully it still operated internally and it synced a back up to my computer via itunes.

So off I went without an appointment to the genius bar in Kingston upon Thames, I had no idea how this worked and after explaining what had happened, a young spotty fast talking assistant had me in the queue before I knew it.

5 mins later a young manager came up and introduced himself, he was sorry to hear what had happened and asked me how I was feeling, I explained I was in the cop shop until 5 am, and that I was not at my best and a little tired.

he looked at my phone, then looked at his iPad, and said 'because of the circumstances of this I am putting you in the next available slot at the Genius Bar. I thanked him and moved on,

next minute I am at the Bar and a young guy looks at my phone,' standard repair and charge' he said, I laughed and said 'repair that'?

Ohh no we wont actually repair it, we will take this one and give you a new one, charge at the standard repair rate of £239 inc VAT

10 minutes later I was walking back out of the store with a brand new phone, and my life back to normal ( i use the iPhone for work)

all in all, I never expected this kind of care, yes I paid £239 to replace it, but its a damn lot less than £549 for the same model bought in store, from start to finish I was listened to and helped to understand the process, I felt there was genuine sympathy for what had happened, and it was resolved as swiftly as possible.

I now understand the 'Apple thing', I was surrounded by Macbook/iPad users all being given help and advise for no cost, in a friendly environment drinking coffee and having a laugh at the same time, and I will never slate an Apple user again.

A big shout goes out the the staff at the Bental Centre Apple Store in Kingston for their help throughout this, damn good job.

What the hell happened with the two guys? Were you mugged? Glad you're ok anyway

As for the Genius Bar, I was very sceptical until I actually went because my 5s camera was playing up. He checked it, seemed to think it was OK but said if I wasn't happy he'd replace it, which he did. No questions asked, no fobbing me off with "It'll have to be repaired and it will take 6 weeks" nonsense. Genius!

Master
    Have used them a few times, and always been impressed with the service.

Hope you're ok, chap!

never heard of them, but as an apple user, I will keep their url just in case, thanks.

Otherwise, I am staying in my cave in wales where it's safe!!

Apple service is great, Ive only used the shop genius bar twice but both times it was a very positive experience, sorry to hear what happened to you though.

The service is good in general but my 6, bottom right of the screen clicks if you press down, took it to my not so local store and they did feck all, reckoned there was nothing wrong and nothing to worry about. The response left me so shocked that I walked out, phone is now out warranty. The clicking feels like that edge of the screen is loose, doesn't seem to affect anything but was miffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The service is good in general but my 6, bottom right of the screen clicks if you press down, took it to my not so local store and they did feck all, reckoned there was nothing wrong and nothing to worry about. The response left me so shocked that I walked out, phone is now out warranty. The clicking feels like that edge of the screen is loose, doesn't seem to affect anything but was miffed.

Check the body of the phone is not slightly bent. Mine does exactly the same as you describe. I took it to the Apple Store, and they pointed out a slight bend in my case. Wouldn't replace the phone though

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What the hell happened with the two guys? Were you mugged? Glad you're ok anyway
    yes attempted mugging, one tried to snatch my phone, I heard them run up behind me and was aware something was about to go down, one grabbed my hand and tried to get the phone off me, I pulled away and had it behind my back for a while, but the other guy grabbed it, I let go of his mate and grabbed him with my left hand and started punching the back of his head with my right,

his mate tried to steam in, and I took a few hits to the face, by this time the guy that had the phone gave up and flung it to the ground smashing it (it was all going on too long I think)

they made off and that was that, I suffered minor cuts and bruises, the worst thing was in the morning, I am not as young as I was and a lot of my muscles ache, my neck muscles especially,

alls well that ends well as they say, and the cops managed to get CCTV from a local pub, I have also identified them via social media (facebook page) after some help from a friend. we will see if they end up being charged.

this all happened in Wimbledon, about 50 yards from the station on the main road at about 2am Sunday morning.

Master
    So what watch were you wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    yes attempted mugging, one tried to snatch my phone, I heard them run up behind me and was aware something was about to go down, one grabbed my hand and tried to get the phone off me, I pulled away and had it behind my back for a while, but the other guy grabbed it, I let go of his mate and grabbed him with my left hand and started punching the back of his head with my right,

his mate tried to steam in, and I took a few hits to the face, by this time the guy that had the phone gave up and flung it to the ground smashing it (it was all going on too long I think)

they made off and that was that, I suffered minor cuts and bruises, the worst thing was in the morning, I am not as young as I was and a lot of my muscles ache, my neck muscles especially,

alls well that ends well as they say, and the cops managed to get CCTV from a local pub, I have also identified them via social media (facebook page) after some help from a friend. we will see if they end up being charged.

this all happened in Wimbledon, about 50 yards from the station on the main road at about 2am Sunday morning.
    Sounds pretty grim, glad you're relatively unscathed, hope it ends with a conviction.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I actually was going to edit the post to add that, here it is, and it was safe and sound without a scratch on it afterwards,

Mine also does this. Bottom right hand corner "clicks" when you press it and there is a bit of movement.

Glad it was only a few cuts and bruises soundood. Even still, not a nice experience at all!!

Blog Entries
    Glad you came through this relatively unscathed, taking a few is better than one of the pond life pulling a blade on you! Re your Apple experience, that is why we are all Apple in this house, their customer service really is first class. My daughters iPhone went faulty three weeks after the warranty expired, I took it into the Solihull shop and the guy just winked and replaced it FOC much to my surprise.

Craftsman

I've noticed the exact same thing with mine this week

Isn't the iPhone 6 well known for bending if it's kept in a trouser pocket? Not sure where else you're meant to keep it though?

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Asking the important questions!

Soundood, glad you're OK and hope the [insert expletives here] get what's coming to them. Don't forget to pay their letterboxes a moonlit visit. Get some mates round for a curry and Guinness first. Also prunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Isn't the iPhone 6 well known for bending if it's kept in a trouser pocket? Not sure where else you're meant to keep it though?
    Yes, it is. The S is supposedly better but it has exactly the same dimensions so I'm not sure what, if anything, they changed. The initial bending reports were supposedly people putting it in their back pocket and then sitting on it, so I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is rumour. Clearly you do need to treat them with more care than some phones though.

I suppose the ear and mouthpiece would be more ergonomic with a slight bend in......

good you are relatively fine soundood :nod:

on your new phone you may find that you new phone is actually a reconditioned one.
    your broken one will be send back to the factory and all usable parts salvaged and put back into use

its not a bad policy for apple you pay them for a phone made of spare parts and they take yours and and make another.

apple will always offer this service for any out of warranty product its good business

Craftsman
    Something something letterbox?

In all seriousness glad you're ok and that Apple have given you a decent result.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Glad you came through this relatively unscathed, taking a few is better than one of the pond life pulling a blade on you! Re your Apple experience, that is why we are all Apple in this house, their customer service really is first class. My daughters iPhone went faulty three weeks after the warranty expired, I took it into the Solihull shop and the guy just winked and replaced it FOC much to my surprise.
    Back in the day, the much maligned Rover did exactly the same (well, fixed with no charge) for my car's oil leak developed 1 month after the warranty expired.

It must have cost them a fortune too, as it turned out to be a failed crankshaft oil seal after they'd replaced numerous gaskets...

I like my iPad, but you pay a premium, so you should expect a premium service!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 13th July 2016 at 15:00.

Journeyman
    Replacing the screens on these smartphones ain't cheap, might be worth getting some extra cover from companies like Protect your bubble.

Master
    Yeah Apple support is good, though hope you were ok!!

I have those Apple silicon cases. I used it for 7 months and the edges started peeling, took it to apple store, they gave me a new one LOL for free.

Banned
    This is standard Apple practice.

Run over your phone, drop it down the bog, they will replace at a set cost per item, but you will get a refurbished unit. Same for iPad - I’ve benefitted on both devices. Not sure in respect of other equipment.

Good business, but standard.

Im not sure about other policies but I am insured all risks with Hiscox, does you insurance cover this, if so you they would get replaced.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    This is standard Apple practice.

Run over your phone, drop it down the bog, they will replace at a set cost per item, but you will get a refurbished unit. Same for iPad - I’ve benefitted on both devices. Not sure in respect of other equipment.

Good business, but standard.
    yes, but a non apple dude like me didn't know this, and indeed good business.

and thanks for all the comments of goodwill, thankfully this is the first time anything like this has happened to me in 20 years living in London.

Dropped my work iPhone 6 in a swimming pool a week ago and unfortunately the bag of rice won't revive it.

Work have told me they'll replace it with a Nokia 635 until the warranty period is up in 5 months' time, so I'm tempted to take mine to a Genius Bar and see whether they'll swap mine out too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Dropped my work iPhone 6 in a swimming pool a week ago and unfortunately the bag of rice won't revive it.

Work have told me they'll replace it with a Nokia 635 until the warranty period is up in 5 months' time, so I'm tempted to take mine to a Genius Bar and see whether they'll swap mine out too
    Water damage won't be free because every phone has water detectors inside to see if water has seeped in.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post

as said it wont be free, but neither was mine, as stated I paid £239 for a brand new phone (reconditioned parts) at that price it makes it worthwhile.

Master
    Good to see that you are safe and well its a shame about the bottom dweller, hopefully justice will come to them. Lovely watch also good to see that it is safe.

as said it wont be free, but neither was mine, as stated I paid £239 for a brand new phone (reconditioned parts) at that price it makes it worthwhile.
    Indeed, I'm not expecting a freebie but happy to pay for a replacement rather than having this crappy Nokia that's due to arrive on Friday