closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex GMTc BLNR?

Master

Thoughts on the Rolex GMTc BLNR?

I wondered how this one's living up to expectation for owners? I'm considering one and just wanted to hear some thoughts to aid my decision, thanks 👍😊

Craftsman
    Well I have one and love it. It's a solid watch - feels chunky on the wrist and has a quality feel. Love the bezel and it's a big thumbs up from me. Only niggle is polished bracket marks easily - but once it has a mark on it you get over it

Craftsman
    Lovely. Just lovely.

And yet I can't quite seem to bond with mine! May be the first to flip . . . Not that it sounds like I will struggle to find someone who wants one!!

It fits as well as any Rolex and fits under shirt cuffs when required.

The subtlety of the blue 24hr hand and bezel means it is not overly 'blingy' whilst still having a sparkle.

PCL's are a bit of an Achilles heel as they mark . . . but not new to the BLNR so no real surprises there.

For what it's worth . . . If I had the choice again . . . I would probably go for the SDc over the BLNR but think it is different enough to have both in a collection if you had the means.

Rob
    Last edited by robertb; 14th July 2016 at 21:33.

I have one on the way. Interseted in long term owners opinions too. Is it really going to replace my LV?

Master
    Thanks this really helps 👍👍

I like it a lot and it seems quite popular and not being flipped a lot.
    On a side note, are you holding on to all your purchase or tend to flip?

I brought mine with a subC bracelet as I could not get on with the PCL.
    Sold it. Strange as this may seem it just felt too pretty. In the end it was in third place behind my LV and SubC.

The blue is awesome in the sun though.

The up side it you won't lose a lot if you want to sell. I got £5450 from watchfinder and that was a while ago
    Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I like it a lot and it seems quite popular and not being flipped a lot.
    On a side note, are you holding on to all your purchase or tend to flip?
    Lately I've let a lot go, so hoping my next one will stay a good while

Master
    I love mine, I put my name down for one before seeing one in the flesh, looking at pictures online I was worried that when I finally got my hands on it I would be put off by the polished centre links and also that it would be to big even though I knew it was 40mm, for some reason it looked larger in the photos I had seen.
    The PCLs make it a lot more dressy imo, I've only worn it so far with a suit/shirt etc but I don't think it would look out of place wearing something more casual.
    Size wise it's perfect, extremely comfortable and the easy link extension on the bracelet has come in handy on a few occasions.
    The real show stopper though is the bezel, the way the blue changes under different light is difficult to explain, the black does a similar thing too, if you catch the light just right the 2 coulors seem to blend together and you can't tell where the blue and black parts join together, not sure if that makes sense, like I said it's difficult to explain!
    Timekeeping is awesome, hasn't lost or gained anything that I can tell in the time I've worn it.

I love mine, at first I didn't bond with it and tried to sell it here but thankfully I've grown to love it and it's going nowhere.

Any owners have the SDc too or LV? Is it preferred over either as a wearer or user? Why?

Craftsman
    I have one and a none ceramic LV, the bracelet on the Blnr is leagues ahead of the sub although I would prefer it without the polished centre links. It wears more comfortable and I prefer the way the crystal sits flusher with the bezel. It feels more substantial and smarter than the LV. I love them both but the Blnr is the better watch and the GMT function is really convenient and usable.

Craftsman

My first Rolex

I have one, and absolutely love wearing it. Initially I took off the bracelet and put on a Bulang&Sons leather NATO, but a couple of weeks ago I went back to the bracelet and am pleased I did. As others say, it has an element of 'under the radar' about it, but feels wonderful on the wrist. In bright conditions it looks a completely different watch with the blue half of the bezel really jumping out. I wore my Speedie almost every day for the first six years I had it, and believe that this one will last longer as a daily wearer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've both the SDc and the BLNR. I actually sold the GMT when I got the SD (partly because they're so bloody expensive!). However, I was lucky enough to buy my old watch back and I must say I love it. On balance, I still maintain the SDc is a better watch but I find it a little too heavy. The GMT is simply more comfortable to wear. I've got mine on a NATO currently and find myself wearing it most weekends.
    Leaving aside the Daytona hysteria, I'd still say it's the most sought after SS Rolex.

Great watch , I got my brother one he has a few pieces and this is the one he wears 90% of the time

Journeyman
    I have mine on a rubber b band. Absolutely love it. One of my most worn watches and I have a few :-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    I have mine on a rubber b band. Absolutely love it. One of my most worn watches and I have a few :-)

Have been thinking about putting it on Rubber B.
    D inYou have a pic handy?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Have been thinking about putting it on Rubber B.
    D inYou have a pic handy?

Not very good pics I am afraid

Journeyman

Craftsman
    Looks cool on the band - can you ping me a link where to get it from please. Does it get "hot" to wear ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Looks cool on the band - can you ping me a link where to get it from please. Does it get "hot" to wear ?
    Blowers are the UK agent for Rubber B mate.

Master
    ... Or Rockefellers Manchester for Rubber B as well. They tend to carry decent stock.

I recommended a friend to go for this and he said it 'screamed' too much of Rolex and he opted for the more low key Explorer II.

It is a nice watch especially if you like some colour. Maybe the PCLs get a bit easily scratched but I'd prefer it over the sea dweller for a daily.

Master
    I like mine but don't wear it often. On the plus side if you ever want to flip it, you shouldn't lose too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I like mine but don't wear it often. On the plus side if you ever want to flip it, you shouldn't lose too much.
    Cheers Gab, I've been thinking along those lines as well. Hmmm. Apologies for not getting to you yesterday btw, we just ran out of time unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Cheers Gab, I've been thinking along those lines as well. Hmmm. Apologies for not getting to you yesterday btw, we just ran out of time unfortunately.
    No problem mate.

Blog Entries
    I've had mine for a while and like it a lot. Trouble is I have others that have just been added to the collection so it hasn't had much wrist time.

Conclusions so far:
    The PLC don't bother me - in fact this is a differentiator for me as my others all have unpolished centres. It fits very comfortably with a slightly different profile to my SubC LV. Timing is excellent. Resale seems to be holding on these.

Pros:
    classy looking watch, great for traveling or where you want to track multiple TZ. blue black ceramic is chameleon like depending on light conditions. Just enough flashiness but not to make it a 'bling' watch. Comfortable and adjustable bracelet- ideally the glidelock would have been nice but the easy-flip 1/2 link works (same as in the Explorer).

Cons:
    perhaps the Blue is less timeless than the GMTIIC with the all black bezel, but that is one reason I went for the BLNR, just a little left field.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post

Very true.

Getting one takes a lot of work as supply seems tighter this year but once you have one your money is safe all day long and it's a lovely piece too.

Agreed on the comments on the PCL's being a daft idea for a daily wear watch.

My BLNR is my daily beater, I wear it 99% of the time and absolutely love it. I find it quite understated, it doesn't tend to turn heads in work or in meetings (I wore a two tone GMT as my daily for a while, and it was just too blingy - everyone commented).

The PCLs aren't ideal, but I gave up caring about scratches a couple of days after I got it - they're inevitable. One of my suppliers in work has one, I was at his house when it came back from a service at Rolex and he peeled the service stickers off - it looked brand new. I don't care about the PCL scratches because barring any major disasters, a decent polish will bring it up looking factory fresh - whether that's at service time, or before.

All in all a great watch - and they seem to hold their value well. I got a great deal on mine from Mark Worthington's in Wilmslow, if I ever did flip it, I would stand to make a grand, providing prices remain where they are currently.

If you do get a new one and decide you don't like it, the bloke in Rockefellers on Police St offered me £6400 for a new/unworn one back in Feb, so could be handy to know for a quick flip!
    Last edited by haberdashery; 14th July 2016 at 09:22.

Blog Entries
    Gratuitous picture

Journeyman
    Just Google rubber b and you will get a link to the manufacturers website USA. I bought mine from Blowers in the UK. Band is perfect and feels to quality. Worn it on summer days and does not get hot. Would highly recommend if you don't fancy scratching your pcls.

Have worn it when visiting Rolex Ads and I anyways get comments on how good it looks.

Master
    Fabulous watches. I believe the OP has slimmer wrists like I do and the GMTc wears brilliantly, as does the SDc. The blue of the BLNR really pops at times which is great. Re. the PCLs, just wear it and accept they'll scratch - you'll enjoy the watch a lot more that way!

I use mine as my 'smartly dressed' watch, and it's a job it does brilliantly. It's a little too smart for jeans/trainers/t-shirt but we all have other watches for that, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    It's a little too smart for jeans/trainers/t-shirt but we all have other watches for that, right?
    I think it goes great with jeans t-shirt myself.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think it goes great with jeans t-shirt myself.
    With a rubber b it goes well as casual. But i have no dress sense so don't know what I am talking about

Master
    Each to their own of course, but for me it's like wearing a shirt with a tracksuit!

Craftsman
    I will mirror most of what is said above, love mine, wear it daily at work with a suit and it looks great but not so great everyone see's it, nicely understated in my opinion

My wife wears ours. Looks good on her. I really like the polished centre links as I don't mind modest being, but they mark easily, yes. The ceramic Sub clasps are also better than the ceramic GMT clasps, I think. The blue on black is superb. It's a handsome watch, one of the best in the Rolex line-up.

Master
    I have a coke gmt and love it and am thinking about the bnlr but worry that its too similar to what I have and maybe a polar explorer on orange rubber b, would provide something different

Its a beautifull watch . Black blue bezel is fab . Looking to buy one but unfortunately cant find one at the AD.

Not very good pics I am afraid

Thanks.
    I like the look.

Craftsman
    Just Google rubber b and you will get a link to the manufacturers website USA. I bought mine from Blowers in the UK. Band is perfect and feels to quality. Worn it on summer days and does not get hot. Would highly recommend if you don't fancy scratching your pcls.

Have worn it when visiting Rolex Ads and I anyways get comments on how good it looks.

Thanks - going to order one and just googled how easy it is to change over so peachy. Thanks for that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    ... Or Rockefellers Manchester for Rubber B as well. They tend to carry decent stock.
    Thanks too

Journeyman
    Here's a tip of you struggle fitting your rubber b to the blnr try curved spring bars.

I am fortunate enough to have the GMT-C, GMT BLNR and a 16710 GMT with Coke bezel (although my other half has more or less permanently borrowed the 16710.)
    They are all different but the GMT c BLNR is the one that stands out the most, primarily because of the Blue colour on the ceramic bezel which is bright in some light conditions.
    The PCLs do pick up scuffs and scratches easily and in that respect I prefer the brushed centre links of the 16710. The BLNR does casual and dressed up equally well.
    Overall a great watch particularly for travelling/holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I am fortunate enough to have the GMT-C, GMT BLNR and a 16710 GMT with Coke bezel (although my other half has more or less permanently borrowed the 16710.)
    They are all different but the GMT c BLNR is the one that stands out the most, primarily because of the Blue colour on the ceramic bezel which is bright in some light conditions.
    The PCLs do pick up scuffs and scratches easily and in that respect I prefer the brushed centre links of the 16710. The BLNR does casual and dressed up equally well.
    Overall a great watch particularly for travelling/holidays.
    I have a coke 16710 from around 2001 at the moment and have been considering flipping it for a BLNR. I am close as I have my name down on the waiting list for my AD with a note to say I won't have the (extra) cash until the spring 2017 so to give my spot to others before March. I am sort of hoping that means I get one offered to me in March.

I love my coke and wondered what your thoughts are on the 16710 vs BLNR. My general rule is newest technology is best and blue over red!

Aside from the PCLs (I am in the brushed camp but not precious about scratches), if you had to keep one of the two which would it be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SG73 View Post
    I have a coke 16710 from around 2001 at the moment and have been considering flipping it for a BLNR. I am close as I have my name down on the waiting list for my AD with a note to say I won't have the (extra) cash until the spring 2017 so to give my spot to others before March. I am sort of hoping that means I get one offered to me in March.

I love my coke and wondered what your thoughts are on the 16710 vs BLNR. My general rule is newest technology is best and blue over red!

Aside from the PCLs (I am in the brushed camp but not precious about scratches), if you had to keep one of the two which would it be?

Well you asked - so I am going to say the BNLR. I like both, tried both on and for me the black blue just works better

That said, could you keep both?
    Last edited by bigfish; 14th July 2016 at 22:28.

That said, could you keep both?
    I could but funds would require trading both my PO and Skyfall and I am not sure I want to part. I have a few months to consider, reconsider, then reconsider again ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SG73 View Post

If I had to choose BLNR or 16710 Coke, I would keep the 16710 Coke as it is a classic watch which will only appreciate in value. You can also easily have a spare bezel or two to change the look of the 16710.

Craftsman
    I have both the 16710 and the BLNR. And to be honest, I love them both. Although they have similar functions, they look and feel different.

As some of the earlier posts mentioned, the polished centerlinks may be a concern for some who do not like to see scratches, as that is totally unavoidable.

Also, from where I am in Asia, the secondary market of the BLNR is softening. We can see some decent deals now and then.

Master
    I'd love one but just can't get my head round spending an additional £1.5k (on the used market) for a different colour over a regular 116710 - so I'm buying one of those!

Wish I had kept mine.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57