closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 4141

Thread: Whiskey

Brought a bottle of this over from Japan for my dad. It's good, and unlike the Yamazaki 18, still quite obtainable.

Paul

Last week, Springbank announced the release of a new 21yo for the UK market. It's a single cask, at about 49.5% from an oloroso sherry barrel. Now Springbank's normal "everyday" whisky is one of (IMVHO) the best value ten year olds around. It's about 37.50GBP and utterly brilliant. The 15yo is about 55GBP, and still a very, very good whisky. The 21 single cask went up for 180GBP, in line with last years 25yo release, which was over 200GBP.

Now I appreciate it's a single cask, and that there's a little froth in the market right now, but even so, that seems like quite a lot of money. The 16yo Sherry Cask released a few months back was on for about 90-odd quid, to this is quite a jump (especially when you compare it to other 18-21yo single malts).

However, as a Springbank fan, I was *relatively* interested in the release.

What also appears to have happened at the same time as the SB price increases on their limited bottlings is that the retailers have got in on the act. As background, the bottlings from previous years (where they are available) are 250GBP and up (the 25yo is available for about 400GBP). So on the day SB released this, their shop (WM Cadenheads) had it up for 180. Others didn't. One, for example, had it at 318GBP. On the day it was released.

I don't know why I'm complaining. I'm not really. I'm just disappointed. And saddened.

Sigh.

I missed Johnie Walkers red label under £12 a bottle delivered on Amazon Prime today but they have The Singleton of Dufftown Spey Cascade Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl at £22.99 now.

Just looked and its £33.50 at Tesco's.
    Last edited by luckywatch; 12th July 2016 at 16:30.

Cardhu 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky 70 cl £25.99 delivered Amazon Prime, elsewhere £35.

Some deals start this evening so keep looking...........................
    Last edited by luckywatch; 12th July 2016 at 16:45.

Master
    I stopped drinking whiskey years ago but have just found a bottle of Bruichladdich Laddie Ten in the kitchen. I know it's not going to fund my retirement but is it worth holding on to for a few years or should I flog it? I won't ever drink it one way or another.

The Singleton of Dufftown Spey Cascade arrived and its is smooth and quite dark. Had to open it to make sure it had not gone off. Never had it before. From the label: Layers of rich stewed fruits, soft brown sugar and toasted nuts. The bottles a real nice shape as well. You cant beat Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I stopped drinking whiskey years ago but have just found a bottle of Bruichladdich Laddie Ten in the kitchen. I know it's not going to fund my retirement but is it worth holding on to for a few years or should I flog it? I won't ever drink it one way or another.
    This quote from Words of whiskey :

A vintage from 2001? If that’s the perspective of Bruichladdich, than they can’t make more Laddie Ten. You can’t bottle a new 10 year old vintage from 2001 in the year 2014, so how will they solve that issue? One thing is clear though. Stock is low, which eventually means prices will go up. So if you like the Laddie Ten and you see one for a good price, don’t hesitate to buy it.

Master
    Thanks. I may as well leave it in the cupboard for a few more years then.

client just sent me this after sorting out a deal for him (he knows I like whisky, albeit I told him as a joke that "I prefer watches"....)

Ileach Cask Strength 58 % but surprisingly smooth.

I'm off for a 2hr 'whisky tasting masterclass' tomorrow night, hopefully learn something and get to try/appreciate something new.

Brighty

Double whammy just arrived this evening, will save the Cardhu for the weekend but I have opened the Bush............................ Not had Cardhu before so am looking forward to it.

Master
    On my favorite all time dram at the moment, but not a lot left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Does anyone know what the NAS Taliskers, Storm/Skye are like? I'm a big lover of the 10, but I've never tried the NAS ones. Is it worth my time bothering with them, or should I stick to the 10 year old?

Craftsman

On our first holiday as a family (with a 7 month old)...this was sold to me as an airport exclusive, £60ish - its much more rich and flavoursome than the double wood...I've had half of it in 10 days (and it's a 1ltr bottle)...ah how I'll miss these nights on the balcony of a luxury hotel watching the sun set watching the missus take care of the baby

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I'm off for a 2hr 'whisky tasting masterclass' tomorrow night, hopefully learn something and get to try/appreciate something new.

Brighty
    Well my mate has back out, so looks like i'm going on my own. Anyone fancy a whisky tasting class in Greenwich wine school tomorrow night? I'm off for a few afternoon pints in Covent garden porter house before hand. Hashtag last minute 2 man GTG

Brighty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post

On our first holiday as a family (with a 7 month old)...this was sold to me as an airport exclusive, £60ish - its much more rich and flavoursome than the double wood...I've had half of it in 10 days (and it's a 1ltr bottle)...ah how I'll miss these nights on the balcony of a luxury hotel watching the sun set watching the missus take care of the baby
    The Balvenie is another one I like, you can tell I like a Sherry finish also Macallan 10yr

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    The Balvenie is another one I like, you can tell I like a Sherry finish also Macallan 10yr

All Macallan's are great...but I think I need to pick up a Dalmore on the way home

After a particularly turd day I have cracked into this generous gift which I have had sitting around for a while now. My first 18 year and very nice it is too! Good end to a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Double whammy just arrived this evening, will save the Cardhu for the weekend but I have opened the Bush............................ Not had Cardhu before so am looking forward to it.

I've just ordered a bottle of cardhu and got this contraption today. Anyone tried one? It's in the freezer ready for tomorrow night ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I've just ordered a bottle of cardhu and got this contraption today. Anyone tried one? It's in the freezer ready for tomorrow night ;)

I haven't but it looks bloody awesome...I love one (or at a push two) ice cubes, so this has got to be worth a try!

On that note though, the "ice rocks" (those stone cubes you put in the freezer) are useless

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I haven't but it looks bloody awesome...I love one (or at a push two) ice cubes, so this has got to be worth a try!

On that note though, the "ice rocks" (those stone cubes you put in the freezer) are useless
    Ordered from here- Whiskey Wedge - Whiskey Glass With Silicone Ice Mould from Corkcicle - As Seen on This Morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYSQ9..._7mtIxb3P2EKVB

I'll give you an update tomorrow ;)

Craftsman
    Ordered from here- Whiskey Wedge - Whiskey Glass With Silicone Ice Mould from Corkcicle - As Seen on This Morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYSQ9..._7mtIxb3P2EKVB

I'll give you an update tomorrow ;)
    I've added to my Amazon basket pending your review!

Only just had chance to try this! It's great and doesn't melt too fast. Defo worth a punt!

Craftsman
    Only just had chance to try this! It's great and doesn't melt too fast. Defo worth a punt!

Looks cool...love the sly wristie too

That's not an Old Fashioned glass. You can't stir drinks in a square-sided glass...

Master
    Just received a bottle of Jura 'Superstition' as a gift from a colleague today. Looking forward to opening it up.

Any thoughts on it? Good? Im not exactly a whisky expert

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Just received a bottle of Jura 'Superstition' as a gift from a colleague today. Looking forward to opening it up.

It's a decent enough whisky. I prefer the 12yo, but the Superstition's not bad. Slightly peated - bit only just.

This review was Tweeted in to my stream last night: I'd tend to agree with Ralfy on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bSRJ6z-b6c

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Brought a bottle of this over from Japan for my dad. It's good, and unlike the Yamazaki 18, still quite obtainable.

Paul
    Love the design on the bottle. Looked up the price - €420! Crikey.

It's taken a few years (obviously), but today was the worldwide release of the new twelve year from Kilkerran (Mitchell's Glengyle, the latest distillery from the family that own the neighbouring Springbank in Campbeltown).

I tried it alongside their Work In Progress 1 (the five year old) at Cadenhead's Whisky Tasting Rooms this afternoon.

At £35.50, I think it's excellent value. 46% and matured in 70/30 Bourbon/Sherry casks.

It's oaky and peaty with dried fruit and something wonderfully sweet on the nose. Equally sweet, almost biscuity on the palate. Some citrus oils, perhaps. There's vanilla from the bourbon and more dried fruits from the sherry. Really rather good. I haven't had the opportunity to try it with any water (yet), but expect it to open up a bit.

The latest batch of Springbank 10 is also amazing at £37.50 a bottle.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

The superstition is actually very nice...I come from a very non-peaty background, but the superstition is ever so slightly peated and a very nice introduction to the peaty world...I imagine you'll like it, as did i

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    ...new twelve year from Kilkerran...

...At £35.50, I think it's excellent value. 46% and matured in 70/30 Bourbon/Sherry casks...
    I'm organising another whisky night soon with a couple of friends, this sounds like it'll make a great addition. Where might I obtain a bottle (or maybe 2...)? A quick Google is drawing a blank, would I have to contact the distillery direct?

Edit: I must have had a brain fart, would help if I spelt it correctly in the search function. Bottle now ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Love the design on the bottle. Looked up the price - €420! Crikey.
    It is ¥20,000 here (£150 / €175)

Paul

Journeyman
    Just got it! Cant wait to try it today. 40Eur

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Found this in my cabinet at lunchtime. Wonderful aroma, taste of honey, finely balanced with a wisp of smoke. Pure class, will have this one again. Not sure how much it cost as she is mowing the lawn at the moment. Might make a note of gratitude for her in the forth coming appraisal...........................

Opened this up tonight. First fill sherry casked, lovely.

Surely that widget is no different to freezing a glass half full of water? What is it doing other than increasing the surface area open to the air/whiskey, which surely makes it melt quicker? Convince me i need one

Brighty

Visited the Penderyn distillery today near Merthyr Tydfil v interesting and some seriously well rated drinks coming from there due to their unique single distillation process
    worth a try if you are unfamiliar

Whisky with ice? Sacrilege.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Opened this up tonight. First fill sherry casked, lovely.

The distillery local to where I live these days, about three miles away; embarrassed to say I've never tried it. Thought I won a bottle in a telephone auction once, paid for it and it never arrived!
    Dalmore is the distillery in the village I was born and brought up in. This is my current selection from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Dalmore is the distillery in the village I was born and brought up in. This is my current selection from there.

My other half is from Alness, was born in Dingwall. I've visited the Dalmore distillery a couple of times, the 18yr and the King Alexander are two of the best whiskies I've ever tried.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    My other half is from Alness, was born in Dingwall. I've visited the Dalmore distillery a couple of times, the 18yr and the King Alexander are two of the best whiskies I've ever tried.
    Well, being born in Dingwall 'ages' your other half, as after a certain date (and I don't think it was long after I was born) pregnant women were taken to the maternity unit in Inverness instead. Small world.
    Long time since I've been round the distillery, in fact haven't been since it was done up. The King Alexander is a lovely dram, drunk sparingly I hasten to add!

A few open bottles:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    A few open bottles:

A lot of Campbeltown Whiskies there.Just like them or some connection?
    I have a couple of 21yr old single cask hogsheads with Springbank-sold another last year which I blew on a Rolex and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A lot of Campbeltown Whiskies there.Just like them or some connection?
    I have a couple of 21yr old single cask hogsheads with Springbank-sold another last year which I blew on a Rolex and stuff
    Slightly startled by the price of some SBs, particularly on the secondary market. But it's the online shops that really wind me up - they're double the price of new limited edition bottlings compared to Cadenheads.

Only connection being closest (by road) to my out-laws. Closest as the crow flies might be Arran, or Jura or even Ardbeg / Lagavulin.

I enjoy Cambeltown whisky a great deal, luckily.

I posted a "maltventory" on the other thread.

Just cracked this open and it's not bad. Very smooth and drinkable.

Craftsman
    Just cracked this open and it's not bad. Very smooth and drinkable.

Yes, very easy and pleasant...both on the taste buds and the wallet actually!

I had a measure or six of a new Islay to me on Saturday at a wedding, Lagavulin 16. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't already under the influence however it was a very fine way of finishing the evening off!

Just opened a bottle of Welsh Penderyn Myth. It's very different from any other I've tried. Very suttle flavours that work really well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I had a measure or six of a new Islay to me on Saturday at a wedding, Lagavulin 16. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't already under the influence however it was a very fine way of finishing the evening off!
    Lagavulin is too tough for me.Reminds me of TCP.
    Definitely an acquired taste though my son got me a bottle for Christmas so I better keep practising.