closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyson products.

Master

Dyson products.

I love them. Visited the Dyson interactive store in Oxford St. yesterday. Very cool with just about everything on display and to try out.
    My vacuum cleaner ball broke off last week. A quick call to the free helpline to be informed that the 5 year warranty doesn't expire until next year so an appointment for an engineer to call yesterday was made. He phoned before arriving and replaced the broken part. Said the brush bar was a bit worn so ordered another free of charge. He was using a hand held cordless to hoover up the mess which I fancied for the stairs and car so ordered one with £100 off and delivered next day.
    A class act. His products are pricey but worth it imho. Not sure about dropping £300 on a hairdryer though...

The two Dyson vacuum cleaners I owned were both poor. Parts regularly broke. For a product that costs 400+ pounds here, I just gave up. The Mitsubishi vacuum I reverted back to is more powerful, has never broken, and cost about 100 pounds. I like the Dyson product design but cannot forgive the build quality.

Master
    Dyson. Overpriced underperforming and unreliable.

Miele FTW, every time.

Journeyman
    Too expensive for what they actually are.

They have gone downhill! Think they relocated production maybe to cut costs along with cost cutting in build and material quality as well by the looks/feel of it.

The customer service has always been very good in my experience.

Master
    I must be a lone voice out there. Agree Miele excellent and use their washing machines but want bagless for a vacuum.

Craftsman
    The Dyson vacuum cleaner we bought sucked. But not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The Dyson vacuum cleaner we bought sucked. But not in a good way.
    You should try the G-tech Air Lamb!

To add a contrary voice, we had one of the original Dysons that lasted 10 years or so and are now on a DC27 Animal (why??) that's around 7 years old. I've just replaced the hose (£24) which is the first maintenance its needed (the hose perished and it seems Duck tape just doesn't help in this instance )

The mrs wasn't a fan of the one we have (not sure of the model) but we managed to get a new one last week at a bargain price (DC54 Animal). Was reduced to £249 in the Currys sale and they had an additional 50% off due to a clearance, so got it for £124.95. Normal price seems to be £329-£379.

Mrs likes this one

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

Miele FTW, every time.
    Agree totally with this - I'd never contemplate buying another Dyson product (although, if our Miele vacuum cleaners ever die, I'll probably have a look at a Henry as well).

First one we had burnt out the motor, and that wasn't caused by too much use I can tell you...

This one picks up dust and I like its ability to heat the room up at the same time...

As Tim Vine would say, "I sold my Hoover - well it was only collecting dust."

There's an army of Dyson vacuum cleaners at our local tip.... all lined up dead, their handles pointing up to the sky defiantly. Daughter keeps buying the crap and it just keeps failing. For me... Sebo.

Says a lot about Dyson products.
    Last edited by Rod; 15th July 2016 at 11:01.

they are a brilliant piece of marketing, in some stores they are the only brand available, but if you stand back and take a long slow look, they are no better than vacuum cleaner 40% of the price, I had a Panasonic upright, I bought a Dyson DC something animal, it was ok but not that great, now the Dyson gets used for light stuff and the Panasonic gets used for anything else, lesson learned don't by Dyson, its marketing.

Master
    Add me to the "will never buy another Dyson" list.

I repair dysons and other hovers. Been doing it for 5 yrs. in my opinion the simpler older ones dco4 etc are excellent
    Quite easy and cheap to repair. The new ones with motorised heads and pcbs in them are a pain. Repaired one yesterday just the parts were £95 I had to charge the customer £120. But then again a new machine is close to £300
    Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    For me... Sebo.
    We have a 'cylinder' Sebo after recommendations on here, it's a powerful thing that will out live us I think but me and the wife find it quite ungainly and awkward to use.

Buy a Henry !!

I agree Dyson is poorly made toot that is not built to last.

Miele or Sebo if you want a quality product

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    We have a 'cylinder' Sebo after recommendations on here, it's a powerful thing that will out live us I think but me and the wife find it quite ungainly and awkward to use.
    I have a Sebo cylinder cleaner and think it is v good.. Only snags are the 'soft start' feature - can't see the point of it & the auto lead rewind is a pain sometimes, wish it just stayed extended until you pushed a button to rewind...

Another vote for Sebo; bloody brilliant, built like a tank, go on forever.

After having three Dysons which all broke I'd only ever buy a Sebo if I even needed another vacuum.

We must have gone through half a dozen Dysons before we saw the light.

Expensive hype machines.

My Mrs owns an office cleaning firm and runs all Henrys, some must be twenty years old, I've fixed some up a little bit but all still running brilliantly.

She doesn't like a Henry round the house as she prefers an upright (joke there somewhere) so the make of choice at home is Sebo.

Excellent quality, easy parts availability and tank like construction makes for a quality product.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Buy a Henry !!
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Another vote for Sebo; bloody brilliant, built like a tank, go on forever.

After having three Dysons which all broke I'd only ever buy a Sebo if I even needed another vacuum.
    +1 for Sebo mine are great.
    The early UK made Dysons were robust.
    JD is another entrup who decided to make more money by manufacturing 3 world.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yar Dyson moved production too Malaysia....

Master

Miele FTW, every time.
    +100% also I can't stand the guy...

Miele or Sebo (we have one of each). Quieter, better made (like they NEVER go wrong!), and they work better. Two relations (sheep IMHO) with Dyson so we've had a chance to compare and the Dysons aren't anywhere near as good as Miele or Sebo.

Oh and we have a Henry for the garage!! Brilliant. Great workhorse. I even use it to vacuum the driveway!

Master
    Every good tradesman has a Henry in his van.
    Dyson are just awful overhyped, overpriced 'trend' machines.

We had a DC-01 for over 10 years - it went through a couple of hoses, and a non-OEM replacement motor was £30 - it just went on and on ...
    With three children and two dogs, it earned it's keep.

November 2013, SWMBO insisted that we get the DC41 Animal.

Within eighteen months it had two electronic brush-heads, two vortex/bin units, a new hose and the rigid vertical bar that the hose tube pushes in to snapped.

The last straw was December 29th 2015, when the motor burned out !
    A call to Dyson support stated that an engineer would be with us on 11th January 2016 - TWO WEEKS !

Shortly after a robust posting on Dyson's Facebook page, a 'customer success' manager reviewed my support history and offered to ship out a new, uprated DC41 unit at no cost.
    As promised, a shiny new DC41 plus arrived next day.

To be fair, their support has been adequate, they ship out parts without question, which are easy enough to fit without an engineer attending site.
    It must have cost them a large percentage of the margin they made on this unit.

The new models are simply not robust enough, or tested in real-world family homes like ours !

However, I should add that the DC01 is still working well in my workshop :)

This will be our last new Dyson purchase - I will run it until the five year warranty expires, and the next failure will see it off to join the Dyson graveyard
    Last edited by W124; 15th July 2016 at 17:40.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Tried two uprights and the handheld one.
    Suction dropped off rapidly,cleaning ability dropped of rapidly,charge (hand held) was about good enough for thirteen milliseconds. Then we changed to a Miele and haven't looked back.
    Dyson might be ok for singles or couples with no kids or pets and who only use them now and then,but for the real world family they are useless.

Heres the problem...

Old Dyson prattles on about cyclones and how the units are bagless.

Thats all very well but there is a HUGE pressure drop across an active cyclone seperator. I worked for a while on a fluid bed combustion plant and when a cyclone is spinning out particulate of a gas stream there is a huge differential pressure.

As such the cyclone acts as a choke and decreases the airflow (and hence the machines ability to lift up crap).

Also, the move to Malaysia sours them for me aswell.

Men discussing hoovers?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Sebo for me. I had a Dyson once but it was crap.
    Clever marketing though. Make you believe it's better to have a transparent chamber so you can see your dirt, and have to empty it in to the bin with dust blowing all over. Give me a bag any day. Costs a few pence, lasts for months and cleaner and easier to empty. I've never got the hideous cheap gaudy coloured plastic styling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Men discussing hoovers?
    That reminds me, I must post up later about my recent bareknuckle fist fight in the far side of Russia.

Middle classes all here !

I burnt out a motor to both an early drag round model, and a DC14 animal upright the drag round was easy enough and cheap enough to replace, I couldn't be arsed with the upright the wife took it to a DYSON bloke near us, new motor and filters, was £60 from memory, I've changed a few small parts on it over the years we have had it, overall it's not been too bad, but they won't get my money next time.
    Apparently it's fine dust that does the motors in, cleaning up after DIY jobs is what downed both of mine, as others state I use my works Henry for this kind of clearing up nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Men discussing hoovers?
    Sorry to take this off topic Chris but I have recently tried Aldi's own brand dishwasher tabs and I can confirm that they are every bit as good as the Finish ones that cost four times as much. No wonder they are so heartily recommended by both Good Housekeeping magazine and Which?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Sorry to take this off topic Chris but I have recently tried Aldi's own brand dishwasher tabs and I can confirm that they are every bit as good as the Finish ones that cost four times as much. No wonder they are so heartily recommended by both Good Housekeeping magazine and Which?
    Indeed - domestic men unite.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Apparently it's fine dust that does the motors in, cleaning up after DIY jobs is what downed both of mine, as others state I use my works Henry for this kind of clearing up nowadays.
    FFS - the wrong sort of dust !

They claim to have filters that trap pollen spores, is that bigger than dust ?

We just bought a rechargeable handheld for occasional use and have a bigger one for deep cleans.

Has anyone had any experience of their new hairdryer? For my girlfriend, not myself may I add.

Master
    Dyson are utter garbage cheaply made and so unreliable also I saw G-Tech get a mention as well but the one I have is as crap as the Dyson, don't waste your money on either!

Master
    Miele vacuums have a 2 year warranty. Dyson have 5 years. What's not to like?
    If it fails they come to your door and fix it. No problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Miele vacuums have a 2 year warranty. Dyson have 5 years. What's not to like?
    If it fails they come to your door and fix it. No problem.
    They don't.

You have to go through a telephone interview, where some 12 year old gets you to take the thing to pieces, saving them a job.

If you're lucky enough to convince them it's goosed, they send you a box in the post, which you have to pop the machine in, then wait for their inept collection agent to call.

You might have it back in two weeks and in the meantime, you use the old one you kept just in case.

PS: I've had their products for years.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Dyson are utter garbage cheaply made and so unreliable also I saw G-Tech get a mention as well but the one I have is as crap as the Dyson, don't waste your money on either!
    I mentioned G-Tech. Perhaps my calling it Air Lamb instead of Air Ram was a little too subtle?

They are absolute garbage!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    They don't.

You have to go through a telephone interview, where some 12 year old gets you to take the thing to pieces, saving them a job.

If you're lucky enough to convince them it's goosed, they send you a box in the post, which you have to pop the machine in, then wait for their inept collection agent to call.

You might have it back in two weeks and in the meantime, you use the old one you kept just in case.

PS: I've had their products for years.
    Maybe balls deep is out of area. London has one advantage then. A guy came this week to fix mine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Maybe balls deep is out of area. London has one advantage then. A guy came this week to fix mine.
    I live in a city too.

They're great products, but just correcting innacuracies.

Bought the cleaner a Sebo.

She seems happy.

Master
    We bought a new Miele a couple of years back, the last of the 2200w ones. It replaced a 15 year old Miele that is now used in the shed. I had a look at the Dysons but they felt and looked cheap and plasticy in comparison. Our cleaner was delighted with the new arrival- 'best you can get' I think was her comment at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I mentioned G-Tech. Perhaps my calling it Air Lamb instead of Air Ram was a little too subtle?

They are absolute garbage!!!
    Ahh sorry Dave I missed that

Miele FTW, every time.
    This, this and this again.

Blog Entries
    Ok this morning I feel in touch with my "softer" side so here goes Dyson IMO overpriced,over hyped rubbish.
    Sebo superb built like the proverbial outhouse and just keep on going we also have two Vax cordless and whilst they are OK easy to use and the battery life excellent they are not in the same league as a decent corded cleaner oh and G Tech? not for me.
    Now where did I leave my ceramic hair tongs?

I’m reliably informed we have a Henry and a G-Tech in the house.

In my workshop I have a Parkside Wet & Dry and despite many years of abuse it still works well.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.