closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I thought I had my mind made up... El Primero and Datejust II owners

Craftsman

I thought I had my mind made up... El Primero and Datejust II owners

Well after a lot of pondering I thought I was settled on an 116300 for my next purchase

(Lifted from Google)

They can be had for around £4k and it ticks a lot of my boxes, solid, well made, classy, dress watch, strong brand so on and bla bla, however another watch that I have seen a few times before has really captured my attention now (perhaps just a whim...) the Zenith El Primero

It has the same attributes I mentioned above with extras such as clear caseback and chrono function but these aren't essential. And a similar price tag by the way.

Here's the current state that im looking to add to...

...so the chrono feature is a welcome addition and the thickness of both options are ideal for the intended use - under the cuff in a suit. The only thing niggling away at me is the last high end chrono I had, an Omega Broadarrow 1957 developed a very expensive fault when I operated one of the pushers and it's been on my mind every time Iv pushed a chrono button since, on various watches.

I suppose my question is to the Zenith owners; what is reliability like and servicing costs? And any stories of your ownership of either watch to help me make my mind up would be appreciated.
    Last edited by trainspanner; 15th July 2016 at 19:12.

Master
    I agree, the zenith would make the better option alongside your others.

Master
    I would definitely go for the zenith... A beautiful watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The El Primero is absolutely lovely, and a timeless classic especially with the tri-colour 1969 dial - I'd really look into that one!

Banned
    Hmmm.... The head would say Rolex but the heart might say Zenith. The Rolex is probably more reliable and may cost less to own. The Rolex is on a nice steel bracelet while the Zenith is on a leather strap. The Zenith is a bit more glamorous, but which one is better to own in the long term? My pick would be Rolex.

For me a datejust makes sense, but I'm not a lover of a smooth bezel on that model, too explorer like.
    The zenith is very nice but a lack of bracelet is a deal breaker for me between the two, put it on a bracelet and everything changes.

ld go with the Zenith.

Master
    I was looking at the datejust II with blue dial and white gold bezel. The version you show below needs a bit of colour - Milgauss might be a bette option (loved mine but sold it)

I love the zeniths below and one is on my list of future purchases, but quite different watches.

Assume by the price (£4K) you are looking secondhand?

Collections don't need to be a series of box ticking niches - go with whatever makes you happier. This lark isn't exactly logical!

Master
    Zenith!

Craftsman
    Zenith all day.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Datejust 2 all the way!!

Zenith for sure, pure class.

Master
    Zenith for me too. Especially the white dial with blue hands, pure class. As well as the legendary El Primero movement is superior to the tractor like Rolex movement (although still very good)

The bezel on the DJ II always looks so heavy; that and the indices make it much less graceful that the 36mm DJ. (The new, currently two-tone-only DJ 41) seems an improvement in that regard.

Another vote for the Zenith here, have always liked the look of them but like others have said the lack of bracelet puts me off, oh and the fact that I can't afford it

The fact that you're considering such hugely dissimilar watches would seem to indicate that you'd likely benefit from taking a bit more time on this decision.

Personally, I also feel that there are better options from both Rolex and Zenith to look at.

Tip: Zeniths can often be a bit of a bargain on the secondary market for those with patience. Don't rush into buying one.

Surely one of the main joys of knowing about watches is to know just what a superior thing the Zenith is for the money.
    The Rolex (although lovely) is just so much more of an unimaginative choice by comparison.
    D

Another vote for the Zenith, stunning watch and so much more special to look at than the Rolex here IMO. Beautiful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Collections don't need to be a series of box ticking niches - go with whatever makes you happier. This lark isn't exactly logical!

So true. I started that way and now I am unpicking it. I then found myself thinking that I have never had a dress watch, so started looking for one BUT the more I looked the more sporty watches I saw I liked the look of and none of the dress watches made me smile

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I appreciate all the comments, but this really struck a chord...

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Surely one of the main joys of knowing about watches is to know just what a superior thing the Zenith is for the money.
    The Rolex (although lovely) is just so much more of an unimaginative choice by comparison.
    D
    Your absolutely right and this is probably why im going to go with the Zenith. The next step is to fondle the goods, just to make sure. God knows what will happen there though, you know what usually happens when we finally try them on...

Craftsman
    I would say Zenith too but that is because no Rolex has ever made me smile. However, my Zenith is the one I want to move on from my collection at the moment.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Love the Hamilton and you are defiantly in need of a chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    D
    I don't consider the Zenith to be superior at all, just different.

And on a pure watchmaking basis, Rolex is as hardcore as it gets. I just don't think this is their best-looking example.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I don't consider the Zenith to be superior at all, just different.

And on a pure watchmaking basis, Rolex is as hardcore as it gets. I just don't think this is their best-looking example.
    Well fair enough, but the El Primero, 36000 bph, fully integrated chronograph movement invented in 1969 is, for me, just about the sinlge most genius watchmaking invention ever. The fact that it does it all in a movement the same dimensions as the Rolex also helps.

I do not denigrate the Rolex for its quality, their use of higher specification stainless, white gold indices etc etc are all to be applauded and appreciated.

But those do not add up to what the Zenith offers, to me.

It's got to be the Zenith out of those two, just stunning

^
    Well, obviously it does more than a time-only movement; it's a chronograph. ;)

Consider instead what a Rolex 4130 offers in the same dimensions as an El Primero for a relevant comparison.

I've had plenty of chronograph and a number with the El-Primero movement. I've never had a problem with any of them.

The only thing not to do is to press the lower pusher whilst the chronograph is running, it's usually only designed to reset the hands. (There are of course exceptions)

Paul serviced a chronograph for me recently (7750) for less than £200 and Brendan did an EP400 for me a while ago for a similar price.

So if it's a chronograph you're after, don't be too concerned about damaging it.

Zeniths are an electric mix of the sublime (the blue-dialled chrono above being just one example, the bi-compax Pilot chrono another) to the - shall we say "acquired taste" - of the Defy and "open heart" models.

Yet there's no denying that they have, and continue to, manufacture some of the watch world's most iconic models, in the forms of both chronograph and three-hander. Most of which fly under the radar of all but the knowledgeable enthusiast.

On the subject of the thread, there's no cross-over between the OP's choices, so go for whatever rocks your particular boat.

Craftsman
    Excellent thanks Dave+63

Zenith - No contest, for me.

M.

Master
    Zenith for me too, very tempted by one as a next purchase

Absolutely Zenith. But I'm biased...

that Zenith.... HNNG!

Master
    Another vote for the EP. I'm fortunate to own the tri-colour version and I like it a lot. Definitely one to try on though, as the lug-to-lug is quite long. If you think you would ever want it on a bracelet, find one on a bracelet, because buying one afterwards is horrendously expensive.

Craftsman
    They are two different models, bracelet V strap, chronograph V non chrono. Hard to choose between both.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie
    They are two different models, bracelet V strap, chronograph V non chrono. Hard to choose between both.
    My problem exactly, I want both!

Quote Originally Posted by 35downer
    Another vote for the EP. I'm fortunate to own the tri-colour version and I like it a lot. Definitely one to try on though, as the lug-to-lug is quite long. If you think you would ever want it on a bracelet, find one on a bracelet, because buying one afterwards is horrendously expensive.
    This is good advice because I had wondered about a bracelet option later so thank you.

Love my El Primero chronograph and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Craftsman
    I like a plain dial. Datejust II for me.

Master
    On looks alone the Zenith takes it by a mile in my opinion. Each to their own of course and as others have said it's not one of Rolex's best, again imo.

Master
    Somehow that Datejust appears to be morphing into an Explorer.
    The Zenith is beautiful. There is of course always room for a Datejust in the collection. My thoughts are buy the Zenith then if finances allow later get the most battered 70/80's DateJust or even a Precision in good nick for the classic understated dress / casual watch.

Zenith for moi too. On a bracelet though as Neil said in an earlier post.

Cheers
    Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Somehow that Datejust appears to be morphing into an Explorer.
    The Zenith is beautiful. There is of course always room for a Datejust in the collection. My thoughts are buy the Zenith then if finances allow later get the most battered 70/80's DateJust or even a Precision in good nick for the classic understated dress / casual watch.
    It's funny you should say that, after years of liking the Explorer I could never pull the trigger as it wasn't *perfect* to me, I don't like the mercedes hands and prefer the batons all round to the 3, 6, 9, so when the 41mm DJII appeared iv been all over it since.

Master
    Not even remotely close, the Zenith, by twice the proverbial 'country' mile.