closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Enamel dial watches

Enamel dial watches

Gents. These seem to attract a hefty premium so I assume the craftsmanship is significant. What are your thoughts on enamel dial watches? The Blancpain Villeret 8 days enamel is becoming something of a grail for me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I've only really looked at 1 in the metal. A JLC duometre lunaire LE. It looks stunning in photos and, to me, uninspiring in real life...

I'm a fan of enamel though admittedly it's too classy for me at this point in my life

If you do want to go that route maybe look at this ulysse nardin - I think it's not bad value and pretty good looking.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ulysse-n...edition-watch/

Master
    Sarpaneva black enamel looks amazing!

Master
    I bought a Dornblueth 99.1 with an enamel dial. It was significantly more expensive, but I absolutely adore it; I think it makes the watch look a little more special, and I haven't seen another one.

I've always liked the Glashutte Originale Meissen dial.

I was very happy to pick this one up after nearly a decade...

Speake-Marin Serpent Calendar by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Master
    That's rather special, Broussard...

Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    That's rather special, Broussard...
    Early-ish, enamel dial. The modified ETA rather than in-house (or later Vaucher). I like it.

There's something about those enamel dials - almost vitreous.

Master
    For a budget choice Frederique Constant recently launched one. Credor also do one.

Master
    According to Omega, I have one on this Speedmaster 50th LE.

I believe Dornblüth have started doing enamel dials again. However it adds @ £800 to the cost IIRC. :-(
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Beware. Enamel dials have downsides.

Examine the dial through a 10x loupe for small dimples on the surface, a sign of poor temperature control during manufacture.

And, if you can, check the dial edge for minor chips, invisible when the dial is cased, but a nuisance if the bits appear later on the dial or, worse still, in the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Beware. Enamel dials have downsides.

Examine the dial through a 10x loupe for small dimples on the surface, a sign of poor temperature control during manufacture.

And, if you can, check the dial edge for minor chips, invisible when the dial is cased, but a nuisance if the bits appear later on the dial or, worse still, in the movement.
    I'm not sure if you can ever eliminate *all* surface imperfections on a enamel dial, can you? Obviously you can remove them during the process of laying down additional layers, but isn't there always going to be some unevenness visible under a 10x loupe?

I actually rather like the very subtly uneven nature of grand feu enamel dials.

Adds charm. Probably.

Edit:

It's probably also worth noting the differences between the various types of enamel: true grand feu enamelling versus the cold enamel that's built up in layers of lacquer, for example.

There's one more thing: permanence. If you like patina, enamel is not for you.
    Last edited by Broussard; 18th July 2016 at 10:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I'm not sure if you can ever eliminate *all* surface imperfections on a enamel dial, can you? Obviously you can remove them during the process of laying down additional layers, but isn't there always going to be some unevenness visible under a 10x loupe?

I actually rather like the very subtly uneven nature of grand feu enamel dials.

Adds charm. Probably.

Edit:

It's probably also worth noting the differences between the various types of enamel: true grand feu enamelling versus the cold enamel that's built up in layers of lacquer, for example.

There's one more thing: permanence. If you like patina, enamel is not for you.
    I agree in principle with everything you say. However, the 'dimpling' I described, but have no photos of, is just careless manufacture.

Here's a sample of the good stuff: