closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Site Speed

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Site Speed

Anyone else experienced this site being slow over the last week? Pages are taking longer than normal to load up and its not just at home, been the same at work.
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Interesting - have downloaded and used firefox on two computers I use and when I come to this site using FF, it is very slow and I see a whole bunch of red x's while the pics slowly load. Don't have that problem with IE. What are you using?

IE version 7 both here and at work. Normally its pretty quick but maybe the pics will take a couple seconds to download. This last week its been very slow

Then I'm sure you've tried clearing caches and temp folders and cookies et al - I keep forgetting to do that and after a month or two it seems to speed things up a bit.

It's been iffy on all three of my machines for a little while.

Master
    The speed for me is fine. I am on IE

Fast for me too and I'm currently working with 11 windows and applications open.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Mine can be a bit slow .. might be BT at fault? ... Seemed better after I unplugged my router for 10 seconds and rebooted ... using a Mac which is normally faster than my PC

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Grand Master
    Very slow for me too, irrespective whether I access at home (100Mbs) or at work. Pages take forever to load, sometimes Firefox displays 'timeout' page, as does posting a reply. I've tried the usual stuff, but nothing changes.
    /vince ..

Blog Entries
    Been slow for me to and yesterday the went down for a couple of hours which is a BT problem,tried the disconect and reboot kicked it up the arse a little.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I've just run a site speed test and it all checks out OK.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    So it just isn't me! I have noticed that from before Christmas pages will never load properly and take a long time. Even to access the forum I will have to hit the stop page loading button on my browser (safari) and then press the forum button. If the timefactors home page fully loads then none of the navigation buttons in the site will work. I run a G5 iMac and a newer macbook (intel 2.2ghz) and it doesn't matter what browser is used, I unfortunately get these problems.

Cheers cb40

Thomas Reid
    You've got to remember that the page loading also is a function of two other things. How you render the page, and the other sites you have to access to render the page.

Some browswers get the whole page before they render it. Some do incremental rendering. (I can't remember what does what.)

So, if you need to retrieve pictures before the page is rendered, it can look slower than if there is an incremental rendering.

Also, even to load the forum index, you have to access websites other than Eddie's. So, if his site is fine, but the others aren't, things will slow down.

Here are the sites you have to access in order to read the forum index. (I did a tcpdump of the connection, but only kept one entry from each site. There are, actually, a number of connections with each site. )

Code:
    15:02:11.414452 IP Harborne.56731 > 62-128-200-130.internetters.co.uk.www: S 3289830905:3289830905(0) win 5672 <mss>

15:02:12.879039 IP Harborne.36794 > for-vip.bizhosting.ru.www: F 2018768719:2018768719(0) ack 1002153108 win 106 <nop>

15:02:15.069831 IP Harborne.42764 > 66-118-182-194.static.sagonet.net.www: S 3341895161:3341895161(0) win 5672 <mss>

15:02:15.425991 IP Harborne.49302 > kundenserver.de.www: S 3352168707:3352168707(0) win 5672 <mss>
    The internetters connection is Eddie's site. I'm not sure what the others are. Ads, clocks, and the like, I suspects.

Best wishes,

PS Whatever needs to be turned on to have the clock, I don't have turned on, so there might be connections associated with it that I've not captured.
    RLF

Bob

The clock is hosted on my own server but the others, I suspect, are the site ranking buttons at the bottom of the page. I'm surprised to see a .ru in there though, none of the site ranking websites I subscribe to are located in Russia.

The clock needs "Flash" Bob.

Eddie

Thomas Reid
    The .ru has something to do with connectingwatches.com. I didn't try to trace any packets, so I don't know any more than that.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    The .ru has something to do with connectingwatches.com. I didn't try to trace any packets, so I don't know any more than that.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I killed it anyway Bob. It's interesting that timefactors loads much quicker and it's on the same server as the forum.

Eddie

Master
    I still find that connecting tot the site using a connection through Orange in France is very difficult, sometimes just impossible. It returns 'Site not found'. When I switch to Free it connects without trouble. Somewhere a web router must be out of order, and rerouting does not work as it should.

it is quicker to day at work again. Will check at home later

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    For me too, although still not as quick as it used to be ..
    /vince ..

FWIW: I've no idea about all this 'routers' & 'packages' malarky, but I do know that I now get a lot of 'You cannot do another search so soon' messages.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    For me too, although still not as quick as it used to be ..
    Do a dump of the tcp traffic and see what connections are being made.

It looks to me like it is just Eddie's site and the stats site at the minute.

Back in the days before so much nastiness infected the web, one was be able to use traceroute to see what hops a packet was taking to a destination, and the time between hops. But the protocols (UDP or ICMP) traceroute used are blocked by too many folks now for it to be useful.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Once again for the technically challenged please

But the pages load as fast as a mouse click for me and I don't have a direct connection, I still have to go through my ISP (which isn't the same as my hosting service).

The only time it runs slow for me is when I'm downloading something like a big video file, which snaffles most of my bandwidth.

Eddie

Thomas Reid

Once again for the technically challenged please
    All of the internet traffic in and out of your computer goes in packets, or bits of data. It can take a lot of individual packets to make up something like a picture. (It isn't sent in one big packet, because if there are troubles, the whole thing would have to be sent again. So, it is sent in lots of little ones.)

The data sent via the internet goes through a number of different sites. Sort of like mail will go to a large distribution center and more and more local sorting offices. The paths the packages take are called "routes". Different packages from one place may take different routes. So, when you connect to the the forum, you send a message (packet) to Eddie's server saying something like "I want the index" and it sends you the index broken into lots of packets for easy transmission, which are then used to reconstruct the index in your browser.

Since the packets have to know where to go, and to say where they are from , and say what they are in response to, each packet has a header with this information. Sort of like addresses, etc., in email messages.

There are programs that will take the raw stream from your internet connection, and show the headers for all incoming and outgoing packets (or you can use filters to restrict what is shown). One of the things you can learn from looking at the headers is that sometimes what seems to be a simple connection to one site is really a more complex connection involving a number of site (any of which could be the cause of an overall slowness).

(You can also discover whether there are any programs running on your computer making internet connections that you didn't know about. ;))

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Nicely put Bob! I've been analysing my packets for the last week or so, cannot see anything that should not be there.
    /vince ..

My connection was erratic earlier, but it's flying again now. :?
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Doing some further analysis, it seems that most of the packets I receive are re-transmissions, or segment lost, so it seems to take 7 or 8 of these to get one complete packet. Would love to be able to see the route/hops, but alas it's just not possible.

Funnily enough it does not happen with other web-sites (e.g. BBC, yahoo, blocket).
    /vince ..

Master
    Running OK this morning over my Orange connection. I'll keep an eye on it.

Craftsman
    This site has also always been slower than most others for me, whatever browser or connection I am using, even if I'm not running any other applications or have other windows open. The other problem is that at work, browsing tz-uk often results in the firewall deciding to refuse to load further pages after a while, and then does the same for all other open windows on other sites.

Not a complaint as it's still quick enough and the second problem is likely at my end, but I wonder why this happens.

Master
    Right, the site is 'not found' again using Orange from France. I had it open on screen since 08:00 this morning, had been doing other things and when I tried just now (10:45) to refresh it, it hung. Switched to Free.fr and presto, it works.
    Strange!

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    I've been analysing my packets for the last week or so
    Not in public I trust :wink:

How do I do this? Pooter in the house is as slow as and not just with this site therefore a bigger rpoblem me thinks.

Cheers

Master

Problems

I am having big problems at the moment getting on the site so is my brother ROD

Have not been able to get on the site for 1 1/2 days

My computer at times can not even find the server same with ROD

Patrick

Re: Problems

Quote Originally Posted by hill

Patrick
    Strange, the page view count is still increasing so it's not a problem for most. I had a little difficulty when I first booted this morning but that was only for a couple of minutes and I put this down to clearing my cache and cookies every day.

You're not in India are you? :lol:

Eddie

I read somewhere that there is a damaged undersea communications cable somewhere off Africa that is causing a lot of problems ... thus maybe any connections routed through same could be compromised ...

Cheers

dunk

Master

Re: Problems

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by hill

Patrick
    Strange, the page view count is still increasing so it's not a problem for most. I had a little difficulty when I first booted this morning but that was only for a couple of minutes and I put this down to clearing my cache and cookies every day.

You're not in India are you? :lol:

Eddie
    Its a bit strange Edd its been like this for about two weeks it will not see the server for hours then the site comes up ok

I rang ROD this morning and he could not get on the site I have cleaned all the cookies out and done all the usual things seems fine at the mo

Patrick

I had a few blips last week, but things are ok here in northern India right now. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Like Patrick said, I am experiencing difficulty getting on site. All other sites are ok. Keeps trying to load up and then it 'times out'. Then suddenly it's ok.
    Wondering if it's a 'Virgin' thing as we are both with Virgins :D

Rod

For the last 30 minutes has taken at least a minute or so to access TZ UK and then almost as long to access the forums ... I reset Safari today to try and speed things up but has not made any difference. My ISP is BT and is showing good connections.

Cheers

dunk

Edit ... This post took at least 30 seconds to send after submitting .. and this edit was slow too

Have you tried this?

Master
    Having some problems here as well, this afternoon I has to close my browser and start again when trying to post a reply to a thread.

Later today I could not connect to the forum for a while and tried the TF site which was wery slow?

I haven't changed any settings in my browser or on my pc.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    For the last 30 minutes has taken at least a minute or so to access TZ UK and then almost as long to access the forums ...
    Ditto.

All other sites running fine.

Your current bandwidth reading is:

2.30 Mbps

which means you can download at 294.2 KB/sec. from our servers.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I Googled 'damaged undersea cable' and came up with this ... there are other cables damaged too ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/27 ... le_outage/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/26 ... le_blamed/

dunk

Site speed at work is back to normal but house is still slow as......