closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for rolex/watch experts, flippers, traders?

Craftsman

Question for rolex/watch experts, flippers, traders?

I love the Rolex BLNR and the deep sea sea dweller deep blue. Bothe in my opinion are stunning watches, but the second hand values are high. Whats peoples general thoughts on second hand prices decreasing over time as demand is met as currently they are selling for more than retail? Or will rolex make a certain amount and discontinue the colour so as to keep the value?

many thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tough to say. The BLNR will eventually taper off I reckon as I'd imagine they'll be making them for a while. The DSSD Blue on the other hand might remain strong if they discontinue them as rumoured.

The thing to consider is that both watches are currently in production. They are not limited editions and at some point when initial demand has been satisfied dealers will struggle to get the over inflated prices like we are seeing for the DSSD Deep Blue. Just look at the initial Daisy craziness, those paying £15k just to be one of the first will lose money in the longer term once decent numbers of the watch have hit the streets.

That said, as prices go up (as expected) the second hand prices tend to follow, so if you keep a watch long enough you should be okay. There are many on here who will remind you that a watch is not an investment, but equally you shouldn't lose shedloads on either model.

Master
    We only get one chance at this life. Buy what you really enjoy, forget all the money-grubbing stuff. You may lose a bit, you may gain a bit. So what. It's the pleasure of owning and wearing the watch that matters.
    If money is the key criteria, buy a good but cheap Seiko. More sensibly, decide what you really want, treat yourself and don't worry. This is a fun hobby or it's a waste of our time.

Grand Master
    Some people will always be drawn to a watch if it's hard to get hold of; in some cases it's a subconscious thing and they don`t even realise.

If you like the watch enough, seek one out and buy it, but be sure you're buying for the right reasons.

There'll always be some Hooray Henrys with more money than sense that'll be drawn towards the exclusivity.

Paul

Master
    I was becoming a little OCD regarding second hand values when purchasing a Rolex.

I narrowed it down to the Rolex Sub C or a white polar explorer 216570 and although the Sub may have had a better resale value i didn't care as i went for the watch i wanted,the polar explorer.

Nearly three years later i have no regrets as it has become my only watch that gets a showing apart from my beater.In fact buying this one has probably saved me money because i have reduced my collection.

I got a good deal with discount and resale value although not great isn't that bad either.

Just buy the watch you want as it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies. I agree with if you enjoy/like something buy it, but at the same time waiting lists for the deep blue are two years from an AD. But like with the new daytona I think its the ceramic model, retailing at 8k -ish however watchfinder is accepting offers in the region of 16k.....thats not losing a little,potentially you could get the black and the white version for that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I was becoming a little OCD regarding second hand values when purchasing a Rolex.

I narrowed it down to the Rolex Sub C or a white polar explorer 216570 and although the Sub may have had a better resale value i didn't care as i went for the watch i wanted,the polar explorer.

Nearly three years later i have no regrets as it has become my only watch that gets a showing apart from my beater.In fact buying this one has probably saved me money because i have reduced my collection.

I got a good deal with discount and resale value although not great isn't that bad either.

Just buy the watch you want as it will work out cheaper in the long run.
    Yeah im looking to purchase a single dream watch rather than lots from different brands, as like you said in the long run you will be happier. I couldnt justify something I never wear. And I like the fact that rolex's are built like a 🚜.

Craftsman
    I think used prices will stay strong for the next year or two.

Relative rarity (you don't often see one sat in an AD's window) and a weak pound won't help . . . and then there is the looming price rise!!!

They are out there and can be found for less than retail.

Having said that, Watchfinder offered me £5,750 for mine so they don't see prices dropping.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    I think used prices will stay strong for the next year or two.

Relative rarity (you don't often see one sat in an AD's window) and a weak pound won't help . . . and then there is the looming price rise!!!

They are out there and can be found for less than retail.

Having said that, Watchfinder offered me £5,750 for mine so they don't see prices dropping.
    Is yours a BLNR?

Quote Originally Posted by robertb View Post
    Was that in P/X ?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

Question for rolex/watch experts, flippers, traders?

I'm firmly in the "we're here for a good time, not a long time" camp! If you can afford the watch you want, buy it and enjoy the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been offered a brand new UK DSSD Blue for £9100 from a grey dealer. I've also seen a new UK watch at £8900 from an EBay seller.

If you've got a good relationship with your AD, maybe you can get yourself on the waiting list and pay list price.

Craftsman
    Sorry I don't know how to quote two posts!!

Yes, I've a BLNR (still on my wrist!!) and was sale not P/X. They offered £5,650-£5,750 originally and I popped in and they said £5,750 . . . Although it has a few marks now I'm using it as intended!!!

I assumed it would be £5.2-£5.3.

When it came to it I couldn't think of a watch I would want more . . . Except maybe an SDc and that's still another £1k+

I never thought I would spend so much but they are worth every penny.

As my eldest would say YOLO!!!

Master

D

I've always got the waiting bit if it's about affordability right now. I've never really got the 'I'll wait 3 years for prices to drop' thing as you have to live s bit for today. Also loads of things could happen. Take next month, if the rumoured 10% or so increase happens that completely scuppers the idea if waiting for prices to drop.

Also you've gone 3 years without enjoying wearing the watch. I kind of look at watch costs based On how much I wear it. If I waited 3 years and saved say £800 off a 5k watch (that could well be 5.5k by then), wearing that watch everyday has cost me an extra 73p a day, so I think who cares, buy it now, own it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchaddict View Post
    I love the Rolex BLNR and the deep sea sea dweller deep blue. Bothe in my opinion are stunning watches, but the second hand values are high. Whats peoples general thoughts on second hand prices decreasing over time as demand is met as currently they are selling for more than retail? Or will rolex make a certain amount and discontinue the colour so as to keep the value?

many thanks in advance.
    The wait list for a BLNR is only a few weeks and the new price is cheaper than used. Why not ring around a few ADs and get on a few lists?

At two separate ADs a few months apart, I got offered two BLNRs. One was about 3 weeks (Feb 2016 ish), the other about 6 weeks wait (May 2016 ish) - though I didn't buy both times as I couldn't *quite* bring myself to spend £6k when it came down to it! Maybe next time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SG73 View Post
    The wait list for a BLNR is only a few weeks and the new price is cheaper than used. Why not ring around a few ADs and get on a few lists?

At two separate ADs a few months apart, I got offered two BLNRs. One was about 3 weeks (Feb 2016 ish), the other about 6 weeks wait (May 2016 ish) - though I didn't buy both times as I couldn't *quite* bring myself to spend £6k when it came down to it! Maybe next time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love the BLNR so may go for that. I think the 44mm dssd d-bkue may suit me better. It will be a win win whatever I go for I think.

Craftsman
    I love the BLNR so may go for that. I think the 44mm dssd d-bkue may suit me better. It will be a win win whatever I go for I think.
    It's a cracking watch and good luck in your quest. Just be patient but pro active. I missed one by a day but got mine witting 4 weeks waiting

You cannot go wrong with either if you buy at list and pre-increase.

The BLNR was freely available last year but supply has dried up and prices gone north of list unless you are very lucky. The Deep Blue can be had fairly easy with a little luck/patience but after the increase to, say, £9250 you'll see physical watches climbing to over £10k pretty often IMO.

Good luck and get buying!!

Banned

many thanks in advance.
    If you want a Deep Sea you might try posting in a forum and say you need one urgently and it is for your aunt in Nebraska who refuses to pay above retail. It can't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    If you want a Deep Sea you might try posting in a forum and say you need one urgently and it is for your aunt in Nebraska who refuses to pay above retail. It can't hurt to try.

If you've got a point to make please feel free to articulate it without sarcasm.

GRey-dealer, grey-dealer, grey-dealer, grey-dealer… or better yet, slightly used from…
    a grey-dealer!!!!!
    Personally, I avoid AD's and RSC at all costs. ESPECially the RSC, they will hurt you in ways unimaginable. Just ask anyone around whose wife decided to take their husband's 5513 in because it was so beat up to surprise him as a gift!!! Can you say service dial, hands, insert???? Can you say, running down to the RSC and demand that they fix the rape that just occurred?? Can you say, Dumb chick with blank stare (but oh so tight a bum) telling you to take it with the legal department? Can you say, after three months of getting nowhere with threats of legal action, to even "i'm going to bloody divorce the old lady and camp out on your doorstep" approach...
    For god's sakes man, NO RSC!!!
    I feel better now,
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
    GRey-dealer, grey-dealer, grey-dealer, grey-dealer… or better yet, slightly used from…
    a grey-dealer!!!!!
    Personally, I avoid AD's and RSC at all costs. ESPECially the RSC, they will hurt you in ways unimaginable. Just ask anyone around whose wife decided to take their husband's 5513 in because it was so beat up to surprise him as a gift!!! Can you say service dial, hands, insert???? Can you say, running down to the RSC and demand that they fix the rape that just occurred?? Can you say, Dumb chick with blank stare (but oh so tight a bum) telling you to take it with the legal department? Can you say, after three months of getting nowhere with threats of legal action, to even "i'm going to bloody divorce the old lady and camp out on your doorstep" approach...
    I feel better now,
    Cheers.
    Have you considered THERapy? :-)

IWhats peoples general thoughts on second hand prices decreasing over time as demand is met as currently they are selling for more than retail? Or will rolex make a certain amount and discontinue the colour so as to keep the value?
    Re selling for more than retail, BLNR are already available new without wait from non-ADs at below list here. I have a feeling used BLNRs will however generally hold their value in depreciating pounds until/unless a pepsi steel model is announced.

The Deepsea is not an intrinsically attractive watch and wears terribly (in my opinion) for mass appeal. Its future value depends on that "scarcity" being maintained and a sufficient cult following. Anyones guess. A gamble.

If you like it - and for heaven's sake try one on before committing - this doesn't matter of course.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 21st July 2016 at 06:19.

Quote Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
    a grey-dealer!!!!!
    I feel better now,
    Cheers.
    Nice rant but totally irrelevant and, in this instance factually incorrect.

It's a well established fact that these two watches are currently cheaper from an AD than either the Grey dealers or the pre owned markets!

Craftsman
    We're only here once. Buy an expensive watch even over the odds rather than waste life trying to save a few pounds. I got my BLNR from Rolex Old Bond St after 10 week wait. £5950 seemed a lot at the time - only having owned an Omega Seamaster 120 automatic before. It doesn't seem a lot now.
    Now I want something more expensive.
    Slippery slippery slope....

Master
    I have been offered a BLNR and the next Deep Blue after my recent spurt of watch shopping. Interesting I will have to think about it.

Master
    The constant assumption is that future prices will mirror the past. They may, equally they may not. It depends on a mass of variables, including whether people retain an interest in mechanical watches. People who think they 'know' the future can get a very rude shock.
    The whole 'Rolex market' thing puts me off Rolex. It reduces the watches to commodities rather than what they should be.....things you want to wear and use. I am not keen on seeing 'my' watch in the window of every pawnbroker. It actually cheapens the brand.

Master
    No actually it's not speculation simply a case that it my birthday this month and an important anniversary this year. So I am buying the watches that I intended to do so through the year. But I am just buying then now as I can afford to buy them now or buy them later no odds or great shakes except they could be more expensive, so only positives in my eye. Every brand is the same not all of the pieces I have bought are Rolex, some have already increased so I have saved money.