closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seiko MM300 - thoughts? updated, watch arrived!

I had a deal in place about two weeks ago to purchase one that was basically LNIB only for the seller to have a change of heart at the last minute, and this is the closet I have come over the last 2 years to acquiring one. I seem to get in a cycle of needing to own the MM300, I get drawn back in, everything reaches fever pitch and then fizzles out for one reason or another. So I'm no closer to owning the watch today but I do love how the watch looks on the supplied waffle strap, so the bracelet issue wouldn't bother me too much. As many have already mentioned a good used one is the way to go, if you don't get on with it, flip it for next to no loss.

Journeyman
    My story with the Marinemaster is slightly different. On January 2012 I bought a MM300 here on tz-uk. It wasn't an ordinary MM300 though, it's the SBDX003.

Ever since I acquired the watch, it's been my daily wearer up to this day. Many watches have come and gone, including a Zenith El Primero Rainbow, a Speedmaster Broadarrow, two Rolex Submariners (16613 & 116610LV) and a Rolex Explorer II (16570 white). None of those watches were able to replace the SBDX003 as my daily watch.

I really love the Marinemaster, especially on the original rubber strap. I don't mind the bracelet though.

Drool A rare beast indeed....

I get the feeling that the cycle is about to start all over again.

i debated for a long time and picked one up about 4 months ago and to be honest it my daily wearer now.

I'm a seiko fan boy at heart - need to declare that, they got me into watches.

Down side - the bracelet scratches like nothing else I've had before the clasp look slike I've run it over a brick wall - and I'm very gentle on my watches.

I put a WTB up and had 3 offered to me that day - so they are not hard to find and you'll get your money back if you don't bond with it. So no brainer if you want to try it.

Journeyman
    Top heavy as it is. I can definately recommend it. Had both sbdx001 and sbdx012. Probably the diver with most bang for the buck you can buy.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Sold to pay for a 6159-7010 which will also soon be sold to pay for something else.

It's still owned by a forum member after changing hands again after I sold it to searat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Why?

M
    I would buy another because I love the design, quality etc. This time I would probably put it straight on an Isofrane rather than the stock strap. I think much of my discomfort was due to the hard plastic.

Master
    This thread is seriously making me want another...now who bought mine, wonder if they still want it :-)

Or is it time to buy new?..and keep this time.

Grand Master
    Awaiting the postman 📮⌚️
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Overrated by watch geeks, like most Seiko, but a good budget dive watch for those who really want a Submariner but can’t have one.
    Budget dive watch?? Really?? Is this elitist crap, or are you 'avin a larf?

I have a Sub, and the mm300 is probably at least as good, but without the cachet of the Rolex brand, but I still believe that the MM 300 is an expensive watch. For most people, spending a couple of hundred on a dive watch is capital expenditure, which is why sub £200 Seikos and Citizens are so popular.

I actually own an MM300, but it's a Tuna - that is a helluva watch, certainly in dive circles highly regarded. I used to own an auto MM 300, and the Spring drive version, so I'm definitely a fan. I think the MM300 is a fine watch and would recommend it to anybody who wants a GOOD dive watch, but not for those who would cry over a scratch or two.
    Last edited by doug darter; 26th May 2016 at 10:12.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    Budget dive watch?? Really?? Is this elitist crap, or are you 'avin a larf?

I have a Sub, and it's probably at least as good, but without the cachet of the Rolex brand, but I still believe that the MM 300 is an expensive watch. For most people, spending a couple of hundred on a dive watch is capital expenditure, which is why sub £200 Seikos and Citizens are so popular.

I actually own an MM300, but it's a Tuna - that is a helluva watch, certainly in dive circles highly regarded. I used to own an auto MM 300, and the Spring drive version, so I'm definitely a fan. I think the MM300 is a fine watch and would recommend it to anybody who wants a GOOD dive watch, but not for those who would cry over a scratch or two.
    It is a budget dive watch and no, my comment wasn't elitist at all.

The repetitive comparison made to this watch is against the Rolex Submariner, not the SKX007 or similar. Accordingly it works for those who want one.

I've owned all Seiko, including GS and Spring Drive and they don't compare, but we are on a forum and others disagree. I wouldn't own one in preference to a Submariner. The quality just isn't there and a mesmerising second hand wears off after a few days.

As for 'crying over a scratch or two', I don't - I wear my watches. The difference being, if I want to spruce it up, I can get it done without sending it to the Far East.

Jon, you'll love it. It's one of the coolest watches around at its price point. Enjoy!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    It is a budget dive watch and no, my comment wasn't elitist at all.

The repetitive comparison made to this watch is against the Rolex Submariner, not the SKX007 or similar. Accordingly it works for those who want one.

I've owned all Seiko, including GS and Spring Drive and they don't compare, but we are on a forum and others disagree. I wouldn't own one in preference to a Submariner. The quality just isn't there and a mesmerising second hand wears off after a few days.

As for 'crying over a scratch or two', I don't - I wear my watches. The difference being, if I want to spruce it up, I can get it done without sending it to the Far East.

Jon, you'll love it. It's one of the coolest watches around at its price point. Enjoy!
    Still awaiting arrival. l'm hoping this will be the watch that makes me clear out all those £200-£300 divers cluttering my watch box!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    well it's here....initial impressions very good, not sure why all the bracelet grumbles, it seems pretty solid to me and the slider is firm and solid. a few quick terrible iphone pics, more thoughts in a couple of days once i've assimilated it properly,

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Seiko MM300 - thoughts? updated, watch arrived!

I bought one a month or two back and it's a daily wearer on rubber.

I've not seen one in a pic on a bracelet for a while, I can't quite decide if I like it or not. I'll have a go with mine on the bracelet over the weekend to make up my mind!

I echo most of the sentiments here, buy second hand, if you don't like it flip for probably no loss.

Turns out I love mine and the SKX007 I got first has been well and truly relegated to the watch box, which is a shame as its a great watch on its own, I just think the MM300 is great and as a straight choice I always chose to wear the MM300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

Dear all,

Any more thoughts on the MM300?

Any issues with putting other straps on them like Eddies De Luxe NATO's or Hirsch Rubber straps?

Regards

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Dear all,

Any more thoughts on the MM300?

Any issues with putting other straps on them like Eddies De Luxe NATO's or Hirsch Rubber straps?

Regards

Ben
    I really like the supplied waffle strap.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hello

Never tried one and am seriously considering it. A little concerned about the bracelet and crystal though.

Never tried one and am seriously considering it. A little concerned about the bracelet and crystal though.
    I've never worn mine on the bracelet
    What are you concerned about with the crystal?
    It's a watch crystal just like any other.

Hello

Not sure i suppose would be the honest answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask why you have never tried yours on the bracelet?

Not sure i suppose would be the honest answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask why you have never tried yours on the bracelet?
    I think it's because it's quite a lump just head only.
    I don't like anything too heavy
    Plus I think the waffle really really suits it . Visually the color and texture of the strap provides a nice contrast with the steel case

Hello

Fair enough. I have a Ti Seawolf that I put on a rubber from time to time which is quite hefty and my Sinn Arktis usually stays on its metal bracelet but that feels perfect. Just like to mix it up a bit.

Suppose I'll just have to take the plunge!

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough. I have a Ti Seawolf that I put on a rubber from time to time which is quite hefty and my Sinn Arktis usually stays on its metal bracelet but that feels perfect. Just like to mix it up a bit.

Suppose I'll just have to take the plunge!

Look around the eyes. Not into the eyes. Look around the eyes. Your want to sell me your arktis. It is worth 600 pounds and a packet of hobnobs. Wake up and....... Back in the room.

Hello

I'm afraid the Arktis has been my longer keeper and one I don't think I could ever part with. Which is a bit off for the Ti Seawolf. There was an Arktis on SC recently.

Always a surprise to see them on here. Perfect on the bracelet and you can put more or less any strap on them.

I love mine!

Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

600! Need to be bloody knocked out or dead for that price not hypnotised!

I'm afraid the Arktis has been my longer keeper and one I don't think I could ever part with. Which is a bit off for the Ti Seawolf. There was an Arktis on SC recently.

Always a surprise to see them on here. Perfect on the bracelet and you can put more or less any strap on them.

I love mine!

Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

600! Need to be bloody knocked out or dead for that price not hypnotised!
    That can also be arranged

Hello

Tz UK has turned into Gumtree. Meet in an unlit car park or caravan park at night with cash or a high value watch. What could go wrong!

I've had mine about 3yrs now and wear it regularly. I don't baby my watches at all and there are signs of use. I keep it on the bracelet now , I gave the rubber strap to a friend in need and have tried a couple of Hirsch performance straps but found them too thin to cope with the heavy head.
    This has certainly got me thinking of a nice thick battered leather strap or a thick rubber.
    Recommendations welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    a nice thick battered leather strap
    Since you've access to him, Iyonk, surely?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since you've access to him, Iyonk, surely?

His straps aren't thick enough for the MM300, its a thick watch

Master
    I've had mine about 3yrs now and wear it regularly. I don't baby my watches at all and there are signs of use. I keep it on the bracelet now , I gave the rubber strap to a friend in need and have tried a couple of Hirsch performance straps but found them too thin to cope with the heavy head.
    This has certainly got me thinking of a nice thick battered leather strap or a thick rubber.
    Recommendations welcome.
    I'm not a big fan of Isofrane rubber straps, but their thickness is perfect for the MM300

I don't understand Seiko's thinking on this watch. The SKX007 is a smaller watch (42mm) and has 22mm lug width. The MM300 is 44mm and has 20mm lugs. The head of the MM300 is big and heavy, and if any watch needs a bigger strap, this one does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I don't understand Seiko's thinking on this watch. The SKX007 is a smaller watch (42mm) and has 22mm lug width. The MM300 is 44mm and has 20mm lugs. The head of the MM300 is big and heavy, and if any watch needs a bigger strap, this one does.

Also, as it stands at around 15.3mm high and flat at the top, it really needs a thick at the lugs strap to hide some of that height.

Thats the good thing about the bracelet, it hides a lot of the height

I recalled someone did write "a half eaten toffee" that I always struggle between keep it or throw it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I agree it's odd not to widen them -- same goes for 21mm on the SDDS

Recommendations welcome.

Eddie's waffle:

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    His straps aren't thick enough for the MM300, its a thick watch
    Wonder where someone could find thick enough leather for him? A solid belt is about 4mm - how much thicker would it need to be?

Hello

What about a Hirsch Extreme?