closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sometimes... BMW M3 CSL content... No urban legend - reality is weirder

Blog Entries

Sometimes... BMW M3 CSL content... No urban legend - reality is weirder

One of the guys at the workshop has a nose for finding great BMWs. He's also the owner of a totally original light blue BMW 3.0 CLS (the Batmobile) I've showed here in the past. Since then, he spotted and bought two Alpinas and a 330d Touring for hauling the Labrador...

During his holiday last week he found the Holy Grail of Motoring... a 2003 M3 CSL! A purchase with a story! It sounds like an urban legend, but this time, reality is even more weird.

10 days ago he was browsing the internet, looking for a M3 and stumbled upon one. An older model, 2003. Three small, vague pics. The car was 120 kms from his house. The large BBS wheels looked to be from a CSL. He phoned the (lady) seller and told her that he was interested in obtaining these wheels, when needed with a swap + money for the correct M3 wheels he already had lying in his garage. The seller agreed and he went on the 120 km trip with his wife.

When he arrived, his heart missed a few beats. In the garage, not only the BBs wheels, but a complete M3 CSL! And, as said, for sale. For a price not correct for a CSL. After a short test drive, he was convinced. The lady seller wasn't interested in the car - "It used to be my husband's but I want to get it out of my garage asap!" Divorce? Passed away? Who knows. He couldn't take the car away for the asking price, feeling like a crook. So he mentioned the price of the car and that it was too low. She waved his comments away and repeated what she'd said. As said, his wife had come with him and told him: "You heard the lady, go to the bank and get the money."

In short, he bought the car >80% lower than the current asking prices on the internet!!!

About the car... 1200 were built, split 1/3 - 2/3 RHD - LHD. CSL stands for Coupe Sport Leichtbau (lightweight build). BMW threw out all heavy stuff: 'plastic' bonnet, boot, carbon roof, no electric funny stuff like sat nav, alcantara seats like an egg box, thinner glass all around... saving 200 kgs. And 360 hp versus the 340 of the 'normal' M3.

Despite the fact that he knows a few things about cars (understatement of the year), he went after getting the car home, to the largest BMW dealer nearby and had it checked: #VIN, breakdowns, accident damage, authenticity etc. And all is correct...

Sometimes, I think I should spend less time here and more on car sites like Mobile.de

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th July 2016 at 20:43.

Craftsman
    What a find. Still think the E46 looks smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Have to agree, that's a looker isn't it?
    I have an E92 coupe but I personally think this was the best looking car since the old batmobile/cs days.
    I drove a CSL once and it certainly felt special, just hard to explain but , sort of 10% better than standard in every respect. Nice car

I've coveted the CSL for many many years. It's an absolutely ridiculous car really – more tourer than road car and the speed is insane.

Bit disappointed he didn't force more money on the lady though, but maybe she doesn't need it?

Regardless, what a car and what a lucky barsteward. Less than 80% of current asking prices would put me in the market for one.

Just to give everyone an idea:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C707669

Master
    I've had 2 E46 M3s in my time. 1 coupe and 1 convertible. Wonderful cars but a CSL would be nice. They're very track focussed, no frills. If I was to choose again I would have a CS.

I used to have a CSL.

Owned it for 5 years, put on 30k miles and sold it for what I paid for it. It's probably worth twice that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw View Post
    Indeed, funnily enough I was lusting over an E46 M3 earlier today.

Lovely car, but even with only 74K on the clock was starting to look a bit used - Tempting though, let alone a CSL!

M.

M3 alternative?

Absolutely superb car and I hope the new owner intends to keep it rather than be tempted by opportunity tonsure quick profit!
    We probably can't all justify the cost of a CSL or even find one as nice but if you are on a budget there are alternatives.
    I've recently run a Skoda into the ground with 40k miles a year over last 3 years and thought with much lower mileage I'd resist temptation to buy new car and be subject to depreciation and look for something older. I started with an E39 528i, full spec, full service history, one owner and 49k miles all for £1500. Now I really thought I was on to something as this is a superb car and if in the unlikely event it goes bang I've hardly lost a fortune.
    Next I thought an E46coupe would do for Mrs Burrotaxi. It took a while but I now have E46 328ci with 32k miles for about £2k. As you may have guessed I've given Mrs the five series and am enjoying the three with much smaller mileage. It may not be an M3 but it is still a superb car.

Blog Entries
    He certainly will not sell the car. He's building a collection... Regarding the price and the lady: according to his wife he asked her three times if it was the correct price. Well everybody who comes at your door buying a car and asks if it's reeeealllly the correct price... Some alarm bells must start to ring, don't you think!

Menno

What a find, and kudos for him trying to do the right thing and inform the owner of price - I'm not jealous one but nope I'm not...

Stunner - obviously more pictures are required!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Apprentice
    What a lucky chap, congrats!

Reminds me of a similar opportunity I just missed out on. A genuine M3 CSL with ~18,000 miles on the clock came up for sale locally at about 60% market value. Unfortunately it was whilst I was on holiday and by the time I got back the local dealership had bought it :(

Smile

Jammy git!!!!

Master
    I had a CSL about 10 years ago. I almost vomit on myself when I recall what I sold it for. Amazing car.

Last edited by cmcm3; 27th July 2016 at 20:52.

Master
    I see you learned how to park a BMW properly! ;-)

Lovely car

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I've coveted the CSL for many many years. It's an absolutely ridiculous car really – more tourer than road car and the speed is insane.

Bit disappointed he didn't force more money on the lady though, but maybe she doesn't need it?

Regardless, what a car and what a lucky barsteward. Less than 80% of current asking prices would put me in the market for one.

Just to give everyone an idea:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C707669
    80% LESS than asking, not 80% of asking

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    80% LESS than asking, not 80% of asking
    OK, you got me

And I'm a chief sub editor

The price increase in CSL's is astonishing. A car fanatic friend of mine has two- both have increased about
    £15,000 in value since he bought them and he only bought them about two years ago.
    He raves about their handling and says nothing compares....

My brother-in-law has a CSL (in an impressively interesting stable that includes a 340R and a Carver as well). He bought his at just under £30k with running in style miles on the clock. Used it as his daily transport etc etc. Since their meteoric rise in price he has put it in the garage, as it now represents his most valuable motoring asse by quite some margin.
    I have to say I was massively impressed what a Jekyll and Hyde car it is, everything from a relatively sedate commuter to fire-breathing track monster with a few setting changes.
    Dave

I had one too back in 2004, epic car. I used to use it as my everyday car and go out on sales appointments in it, I did 40k miles in about 18 months that I had it.

Only car I've ever owned I wanted to put in the garage, throw a sheet over it and keep it forever.

My old one

Last edited by Vanguard; 28th July 2016 at 11:16.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    The price increase in CSL's is astonishing. A car fanatic friend of mine has two- both have increased about
    £15,000 in value since he bought them and he only bought them about two years ago.
    He raves about their handling and says nothing compares....
    He should also check out the original CSL (e9) from the 70's, they have probably outperformed the e46 from a value perspective.

I also had one of these, the only car I made money on, and if I had it today it would be worth twice what I paid!

Epic car, I had mine for over 2 years and that is the longest I've ever owned a single car, but sold it to buy a 911 which was the worst mistake I ever made around 3 months before the recession................

I always keep an eye on these, they have doubled in price this past two years!

Craftsman
    Always loved the E46 M3 but in CSL flavor it as an absolute timeless classic. Still on my list of 'to own', though highly doubt I'll ever have the spare change!