closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Laguiole?

Which Laguiole?

Some years ago I came across a Laguiole pocket knife and promised myself one.

I've now learned that Laguiole is a style rather than a brand. Wikipedia informs me that they don't even have to be made in France.

Could anyone please point me in the direction of a good one?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Gavin.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 16th February 2016 at 20:23.

I've been researching these recently and IMHO the best value is Laguiole Actiforge. I think the customised range is the best value, as you can spec the knife as you want it, and most importantly it will have a forged (rather than welded) bee, and also a blade stop to keep the blade from hitting the back plate if you forget to close it carefully. You can buy them off the peg from Amazon, so probably easier for returns if needed, or direct from the maker, which is my likely route for a custom job.

http://www.couteau-laguiole.com/en/
    F.T.F.A.

Excellent, thank you!

There are a few good ones, fp springs to mind, but they won't be the cheapest
    http://www.fontenille-pataud.com/

Thank you both for your replies. They are most helpful 😊

Master
    The knives from G.David in Thiers, with the crossbow logo, are also quite good.
    http://www.laguiole-arbalete.com
    I have one since late 1989, corn handle, with corkscrew and punch in addition to the blade. That one still has a carbon-steel blade; most modern Laguioles have stainless steel blades. Carbon steel holds its edge better. My knife has seen daily use for 26 years and the blade still has practically no play. Fits the hand very comfortably.
    Note that modern additions like lever locking systems deviate from the original Laguiole concept. French law considers a real Laguiole, which does not have a locking mechanism (but has a very strong spring action to keep the blade in place) as a 'traditional tool' and not as a (potential) weapon.
    Any 'Laguiole' costing less than 50 to 60 euros for a very basic model with a non-noble handle and no extras is suspect. You can usually feel the slight sideways play in the knife blade when you open it if it's not a 'real' one (and then there are the endless opinions about the bee, or fly, on the top, and the nails or studs in the handle that should form a cross, and so forth...). Luxury models can set you back several hundred.

I also have Honore Durand under consideration, the Prestige range, albeit more expensive than Actiforge.

http://www.made-in-laguiole.co.uk/
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've been researching these recently and IMHO the best value is Laguiole Actiforge. I think the customised range is the best value, as you can spec the knife as you want it, and most importantly it will have a forged (rather than welded) bee, and also a blade stop to keep the blade from hitting the back plate if you forget to close it carefully. You can buy them off the peg from Amazon, so probably easier for returns if needed, or direct from the maker, which is my likely route for a custom job.

http://www.couteau-laguiole.com/en/

Damn you for that link. Just ordered one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Damn you for that link. Just ordered one :)

Hahaha! Which model did you order?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Hahaha! Which model did you order?
    Custom one with the additional corkscrew bit - I know, I know. But I get through a lot of wine (...) and having this extra feature kinda justifies it... :)

The "real" ones are lovely, just beware that the mark is not protected very well and there are some dire copies around.
    The shepherds cross rivetting through the bolsters is a nice to have- supposedly so that an outdoorsman could open the knife, push the blade into the earth and then pray in front of the cross shown on the bolster before eating his lunch.
    Nice

Edited as photo's lost when I quit photoracket!!
    Last edited by johnbaz; 7th November 2017 at 21:33.

Master
    I have a set of four Rossignol Laguiole steak knives that are a joy. The ceremony in breaking them out when I cook good steak just adds to the meal.

Bought them in Philadelphia of all places in 2001. We went to see the Liberty Bell after leaving the store not expecting there to be x-ray machines and armed security. I decided to play the bewildered Englishman so popped the elegant string handled carrier bag on the conveyor.

Cue being taken aside.

"Excuse me Sir, but do you have knives in this bag?"

"Yes, we've just been to Williams Sonoma and bought some steak knives, is there a problem officer?"

I suggested that we leave them with security until our exit, but they said that they couldn't guarantee that they would be safe, I apologised and said we would come back another visit to the US.

Some huddling went on, and a massive six foot four bodybuilder cop offered to walk around the display with us carrying the bag. He did look very sweet with his bristling gun belt and this elegant white bag following us like we were royalty four steps behind.

Was fairly amusing that he also volunteered that although a steak knife couldn't have scratched the bell, they would have let us in with a sledgehammer as it wouldn't have broken the weapons rules.

wow, this one is rather lovely, and I'm not into the knives

Those Damascus blades are gorgeous, but sadly somewhat out of my price range.

Thanks to the suggestions here I've been having a look at a few sites, and keep ending up at Fontenille-Pataud. Tempted to order their 12cm with carbon blade, brass bolsters and willow burl scales. Hmm.

However, I'll be in France soon and there's a well stocked knife shop near where mum lives. May wait and see what they have. Trouble is, my French is very poor. Last time I went in, I asked for a number 5 Opinel. The lady looked at me doubtfully and shook her head. I insisted, so she took a box from the shelf and counted out five knives.

Her laughter was still ringing in my ears when I eventually left with what I wanted!

Then again, that little Opinel is still my EDC. The non-locking blade is about 2.5 inches, and the carbon steel takes a lovely edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep View Post
    ... That one still has a carbon-steel blade; most modern Laguioles have stainless steel blades. Carbon steel holds its edge better. ...
    I'm not sure that's exactly true.

From a few years of making, sharpening and using I've found it more depends on the steel but in general stainless is harder to get an edge on, but keeps it well once you have. Carbon takes an edge slightly easier. I've found it a lot easier to get a carbon blade shaving sharp, but they do discolour quickly.

Master
    Very quick update: mine arrived. Slightly ahead of time. Very pleased with it. Really solid. Quality craftsmanship. sorry for poor pic:

Lovely!

Master
    I might be getting a bit of an addiction to these. Much prefer wooden handled, obviously handmade knives to the modern 'tactical' type, really tempted for somethings like this next:

http://www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/...nge-ebony.html

Having said that - I like the shing knives linked to in the other knife thread.

And came across these the other day:

http://emersonknives.com

Thank you again for the recommendations. I ended up having one made for about £100 by Actiforge. I had been tempted by the dearer FP, but this one seems fine.

It arrived on Friday, so I was going to get the camera out over the weekend and take some arty shots. Didn't have time, so here are a few snaps off the phone.

It arrived in a nice little box with a magnetic fastener. Delivery was about three weeks.

It has the brass bolsters and carbon steel blade.

They monogrammed the spring for me.

Really quite pleased!

Last edited by Cornholio; 10th November 2016 at 15:56. Reason: New photo

Banned
    Very nice, that's a lot of knife for the price.

It is a lovely knife. I think the wood is 'bois d'amourette' or snakewood in English.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It is a lovely knife. I think the wood is 'bois d'amourette' or snakewood in English.
    Yes, that's right.

Master
    Great, functional knives. I have a Fontenille Pataud Laguiolle, and a small-ish locking knife from their Corsican Pialincu range. I've used the latter quite well as a working knife - looks pretty battered compared to the Laguiolle, but still feels like a nice, quality piece of work.

Edit: Just had a look at their website. Not cheap these days...
    Last edited by Seabadger; 1st August 2016 at 21:40.

I was in a period of relative calm, having talked myself out of buying something I'd use infrequently. However, having seen your pics I now officially WANT ONE again!
    F.T.F.A.

I was in a period of relative calm, having talked myself out of buying something I'd use infrequently. However, having seen your pics I now officially WANT ONE again!
    Ah, yes, it was your good self that recommended Actiforge to me. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Ah, yes, it was your good self that recommended Actiforge to me. Many thanks!
    The irony is strong within me!
    F.T.F.A.

I thought "What the hell, you only live once, etc etc...". Went on the Actiforge site, "our workshop is closed until 26th August". :-(
    F.T.F.A.

Oh dear, you'll have to see if Fontenille Pataud are open instead

Oh dear, you'll have to see if Fontenille Pataud are open instead
    F.T.F.A.

Unnecessary thread resurrection. Just in case anyone should find themselves here seeking an answer to the 'which Laguiole' question...

I was, of course, very pleased with my Actiforge knife. I've recently had a small gentleman's folder made by Renaud Aubry of Artisan Coutelier. It is lovely, and was very reasonably priced. I would certainly recommend his knives, which include Laguioles....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    I missed this, that looks really nice

Unnecessary thread resurrection. Just in case anyone should find themselves here seeking an answer to the 'which Laguiole' question...

I was, of course, very pleased with my Actiforge knife. I've recently had a small gentleman's folder made by Renaud Aubry of Artisan Coutelier. It is lovely, and was very reasonably priced. I would certainly recommend his knives, which include Laguioles....

Sigh...... you did it again! ;-) I had a whirl on the configurator and came up with this, tremendous value for 119euro given the additions I selected and having a forged spring. Includes engraved and lined spring, initials on blade, walnut burl scales and cross on both scales, stainless bolsters.

My spare Crimbo cash went towards a guitar this year, looks like it's headed to Renaud Aubry this time.
    F.T.F.A.

Sigh...... you did it again! ;-) I had a whirl on the configurator and came up with this, tremendous value for 119euro given the additions I selected and having a forged spring. Includes engraved and lined spring, initials on blade, walnut burl scales and cross on both scales, stainless bolsters.

My spare Crimbo cash went towards a guitar this year, looks like it's headed to Renaud Aubry this time.
    Mmmm, that looks nice. I've only had the one knife (a Navette) from M. Aubrey, but I'm exceedingly pleased with it. Little more than £70, but beautifully made.

May have to treat myself to a ram's horn Laguiole next year...

Apologies that I keep encouraging you to spend money

Mmmm, that looks nice. I've only had the one knife (a Navette) from M. Aubrey, but I'm exceedingly pleased with it. Little more than £70, but beautifully made.

May have to treat myself to a ram's horn Laguiole next year...

Apologies that I keep encouraging you to spend money

No need to apologise, I need little encouragement!
    F.T.F.A.

I have a couple of traditional Laguiole folders, but I quite like the look of this slightly more contemporary interpretation

http://www.dozorme-claude.fr/en/pock...er-lock-knives

That's some lovely file work on the springs and scales.

Edit: Couldn't resist - one ordered via the configurator.

This is such a bad place........
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 27th October 2017 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    That's some lovely file work on the springs and scales.

Edit: Couldn't resist - one ordered via the configurator.

This is such a bad place........
    Yay! I'm sure you'll be pleased. I'm sorry that I didn't get a better photo before it went off to its new home, but suffice to say fit and finish are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I have a couple of traditional Laguiole folders, but I quite like the look of this slightly more contemporary interpretation

http://www.dozorme-claude.fr/en/pock...er-lock-knives
    Interesting. I quite like the black blade with stag horn, an interesting mix of the contemporary and the traditional.

Craftsman
    This is a very dangerous thread and I sense I will be parting with money.
    Picked up a Buck 110 recently and is a wonderfully heavy/solid brass and wood pocket knife.
    It is not EDC because one it locks and second the cutting edge is more than 7.62 cm.
    But it feels so good in the hand.

Last edited by BadgerUK; 7th November 2017 at 01:13.

Which Laguiole?

I 'accidentally' bought two laguiole knives from a shop in Chamonix while on hols this year. One with an ebony handle and a smaller one in horn. I'd never heard of them but was there with a pro chef into his knives, who also bought two.
    Love the Damascus blades but costly.
    Away at the minute but will post pics on return.
    Last edited by darko; 7th November 2017 at 08:11.

Smile

I closed my last post as the pics were lost via photoracket!

This is a Laguiole homage!

This one is genuine though!

John

Yay! I'm sure you'll be pleased. I'm sorry that I didn't get a better photo before it went off to its new home, but suffice to say fit and finish are excellent.
    Got the email yesterday saying the knife has been shipped....yippee!