closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Conservatory Roof - Best option?

Conservatory Roof - Best option?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on converting a conservatory roof? Currently have a polycarb roof which obviously loses a lot of heat in winter and acts like a greenhouse in the summer.

I've been thinking about options from solar film/blinds to a complete lightweight tile roof conversion. The only difficulty I see with the complete conversion is that the foundations might not be up to the extra weight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You know the answer already but double glazed with a good solar control glass is the way to go. Anything else is a poor compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice/experience on converting a conservatory roof? Currently have a polycarb roof which obviously loses a lot of heat in winter and acts like a greenhouse in the summer.

I've been thinking about options from solar film/blinds to a complete lightweight tile roof conversion. The only difficulty I see with the complete conversion is that the foundations might not be up to the extra weight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Do you need transparent/translucent roof or this is not obligatory?
    If not, use Kingspan IPN or Quadcore panels which are lightweight, fire safe and have superior thermal insulation.
    If you need transparent roof, use double ISO glass with low-e foil and argon.
    You can also consider Lexan Thermoclick.
    With transparent roof you have to consider some device for sun prptection during summer.

Journeyman
    Agreed but you'll probably always find it beneficial to add good quality conservatory blinds as the heat and glare on a hot day is often too much even with top notch glass.

I know a guy with a polycarbonate roof who put a second panel beneath the exterior panel.

This created quadruple glazing with three air gaps. It made a huge difference for about £100.

Thanks for all the replies and input. Apologies about the double thread. No idea how that happened!

I've looked at a company who offer a solution similar to the Guardian roof and think I will be getting them out for a survey and estimate. Although this thread has given me other solutions to investigate! Thank you.