closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What are the best Bluetooth MP3 players for running and cycling?

Craftsman

What are the best Bluetooth MP3 players for running and cycling?

I saw a thread about Bluetooth headphones on here recently. This got me thinking about a Bluetooth compatible MP3 player that can be used when out running or cycling.

Are there any good alternatives to the iPod Nano out there?

Journeyman
    Personally I've always avoided them. Here's my reasoning. Although I hate wires I also prefer not to have my phone with me. I've already killed 2 iPhones this year by breaking my rule on this although stupid I had a factor in both too.
    My preference is for specific headphones with MP3 capability built in. This doesn't answer your question I think it's worth looking in to.
    E.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...YIL&ref=plSrch

Master
    Personal bugbear of mine, especially cycling. Why on earth would you deliberately remove one of your senses when riding your bike? Utterly idiotic, might as well wear an eyepatch. Sorry, but it drives me bonkers.

Craftsman
    Mostly for running and cycling OFF road, thanks. Please feel free not to let it bother you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Personal bugbear of mine, especially cycling. Why on earth would you deliberately remove one of your senses when riding your bike? Utterly idiotic, might as well wear an eyepatch. Sorry, but it drives me bonkers.
    I agree, I go running to escape tech and all its noise. I love to listen to noises of the countryside. I've always said too I think running with earphones is cheating, kind of a distraction technique. Running is a mind game and conquering the inner voice telling you to stop or slow down is crucial. How can you do that with Kanye or Britney chirping away.

Master
    I can take 15-20s per km off my run times with music in my lugholes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Mostly for running and cycling OFF road, thanks. Please feel free not to let it bother you.
    That's all fine in that case, it's just the bicycle coming up behind you that you can't hear then - unless you own your own estate of course.

Craftsman
    OK, so I will attach some wing mirrors for everyone's safety before setting off.

Anyone have any MP3 player suggestions?

I used to never run with headphones for exactly the reasons above. Came across the aftershokz ones that use bone conduction so you don't actually have anything in your ear. That way you can listen to tunes and hear anything behind you.

Only use them for running, not cycling.

Sorry for slight off topic

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't wear them cycling either, but at least it gives people a chance to have a moan about something!

Looks like the Nano is the only realistic option.

I will check out the earphone though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Don't worry it doesn't.

Craftsman
    I am here as I am interested in finding one too. Nowt much suggested, but I've found a Sony NWZA 15 that gets decentish reviews?

Anyone got any opinions on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    I used to never run with headphones for exactly the reasons above. Came across the aftershokz ones that use bone conduction so you don't actually have anything in your ear. That way you can listen to tunes and hear anything behind you.

Only use them for running, not cycling.

Sorry for slight off topic

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had a pair of the aftershokz bone conductors, great when they worked. Unfortunately after the second pair in less than five months died I got my money back. I wouldn't recommend them. Back to ordinary earbuds, well one in one ear when running, but that's my call not anyone else's.
    Last edited by den77; 9th August 2016 at 17:11. Reason: spelling

iPod nano, Bluetooth. Works fine.

Grand Master
    That's a very good point. On the odd occasion I`ve tried running with them I`ve been conscious of not being able to hear the traffic. I used to run near a motorway frequently and that had a similar effect; the background noise of motorway traffic drowned out any traffic noise at junctions etc and you had to be conscious of this.

There's tendency to subconsciously rely on your ears and just have a cursory glance to be sure there's no traffic, particularly on quiet country roads.

Use them with caution.

Paul

Master

This comes up on cycle forums all the time and runs for pages and pages, no one will ever agree, and doubt they will here either.

Wear an earpiece in one ear only, it's quite simple. The only time I found wearing in both ears 'dangerous' was on a cycle path. On the road you can still hear the traffic so long as you're not using noise cancelling or very tight fitting ear pieces.