closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS 50 Strap experiments

Craftsman

PRS 50 Strap experiments

Not being fond of rubber straps, I've been looking for alternatives for my PRS 50 LE since it arrived a while back.

Ever since I saw the current Blancpain Fifty Fathoms model with the sailcloth strap, I've been looking for a substitute. Blancpain will not order the strap for a dealer without a case number. Some of the FF variations are listed on the Blancpain website with a Kevlar strap but I've been unable to locate one that is suitable.

I recently got my hands on a straight Kevlar strap and am not sure if I like it since it isn't padded like the original.

Here is the original 'borrowed'[ from their website:

Here are a few views of the one I have:

It has 22mm ends so it fits nicely between the lugs but it is almost 24mm at the end, so a 24mm deployant buckle is needed. Not a problem since they are available.

I can get one made with white stitching to match the original and the price is reasonable including shipping at $35.

I've also tried a trio of Don Ginsler straps and they don't look too bad. Here they are:

The search continues for a strap pleasing to my color-blind eyes that might disguise the height of the case. Until a 24mm deployant arrives, the brown Don strap on the left will stay on. Maybe a King Cobra stitch paracord strap from Deano would work.

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Journeyman
    You might look into getting the Suunto X-Lander replacement strap. It looks similar to the FF OEM strap and is 22mm with a curved spring bar. I think it costs under $25.

Journeyman
    I like the PRS 50 a lot. I've been checking the website 4 times a day for the past week to order one.

The strap I think most appropriate is just a basic black NATO but your choices are nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldF
    I like the PRS 50 a lot. I've been checking the website 4 times a day for the past week to order one.

The strap I think most appropriate is just a basic black NATO but your choices are nice too.
    The watch is pretty tall as is -- not sure if you would want to add any additional height to it with the nato.

Craftsman
    Anyone got a pic of the 50 on a nato then?

You can find Guncrossed's pic of a 50 on a NATO here:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Towards the bottom of the page.

I'm going to try the Ted Su kevlar/rubber on mine. It is 24mm wide and not tapered, cut down to 22mm, thick at the attachment points and tapered at the buckle. The rubber looks good in photos (coming soon!), but I despise rubber straps that smell like vanilla.

I agree with Lenny that the watch is a bit too tall for a NATO and that a two piece strap that is thick at the lug attachments will best balance the watch out. I also want to try an Omega mesh - love the pics I've seen of that combo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinktlim
    Anyone got a pic of the 50 on a nato then?

8)

It occurs to me that the fitted kevlar for the B&M Capeland S XXL might work on this watch too. Anyone know if it's 22mm?

Damn you! That was my sneaky plan to out strap the strap testers on the 50! Yep its 22mm Colin.... :)

I am also finding this a tough watch to strap.

I bought a 22mm nylon and Tropic-style silicon for it; neither seems ideal. I also have a very plain black rubber job on order to try. As I do not intend to get it wet, I am seriously considering a Radiomir-style leather strap for it, like the one I have on my 20.

I continue to watch these threads with interest. No one has quite cracked it yet for my money.

USMike, is the kevlar strap you tried?

It looks like a good substitute for the OEM item in the photos, having "moderate" padding, according to the specs.

Craftsman
    The Kevlar strap I started with is from Ted Su. I heard about him from oldskool on the PMWF forum who makes red12 straps. You can see Ted's straps at http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w315/UTTrading/

His email is
    unitektrading@yahoo.com I've been unable to find a website for him.

Here is a link to a PRS 20 with an oldskool strap custom made for it.

http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/we...i?read=1363959

Zack's email is red12.straps@gmail.com

The Suunto strap is enroute to me as we speak. It has what looks like the right amount of padding needed to cover some of the height of the watch. Most Watchprince straps are too short for me at 115/75 but it might be worth a try.

With some new models due out soon, I will have to stop strap hunting until I can completely hide the cost from the lady with whom I've been living for 46 years. She has recently started counting incoming packages again and has asked to see the last one's contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    USMike, is the kevlar strap you tried? It looks like a good substitute for the OEM item in the photos, having "moderate" padding, according to the specs.
    They can blow that for a game of soldiers! $25 USD to ship a single strap! Not bloody likely!! :roll:

Much as I would have liked to have tried that one, I think my strap-swapping experiments have come to and end with one of the silicon faux-Tropics. Having said that, I am coming round to the view that the strap Eddie chose for the watch might be the best choice for it.

Craftsman

More experiments - the Suunto X-Lander strap is here

Here is the ideal strap candidate as borrowed from Blancpain:

Here is the PRS 50 with the Suunto strap mounted:

Note the padding is pretty much the same thickness as the unobtainable original. The texture is also very close. Because of the shape of the ends of the Suunto strap, a bigger gap appears between the strap and the case.:

Not bad but still not hiding the case height which is an important goal for me.

And, for you wrist-shot fans:

Please forgive the untidy hair length.

Once again, the Ted Su unpadded Kevlar strap. A much closer fit to the case but IMO, it loses out to the curvature of the Suunto padding. Not to mention the soft water resistant lining on the Suunto.

The Suunto stays on and the search for the grail strap is put on hold pending disposition of several upcoming PRS goodies. All in all, a rather inexpensive experiment; around $100 for the Suunto and the Ted Su Kevlar straps and a Don Ginsler black thrown into the mix.

THANKS! Cannon for the tip on the Suunto!

Journeyman

Re: More experiments - the Suunto X-Lander strap is here

Quote Originally Posted by usmike
    No problem. I received my PRS-50 today and I am also looking for a good replacement strap. I like the OEM PRS strap but only wish it had 2 keepers.

I really like the look of the ATG Marine strap 3 but it's an expensive option. Anyone in the UK tried one of these yet?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon
    Quote Originally Posted by usmike
    No problem. I received my PRS-50 today and I am also looking for a good replacement strap. I like the OEM PRS strap but only wish it had 2 keepers.

I really like the look of the ATG Marine strap 3 but it's an expensive option. Anyone in the UK tried one of these yet?

Hi Cannon,

I have ATG Marine straps inbound,and one is intended for the PRS-50 . will take pics afterwards,but I think it will compliment the watch beautifully.

Cheers,
    Vic :)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Victor

Hi Cannon,

I have ATG Marine straps inbound,and one is intended for the PRS-50 . will take pics afterwards,but I think it will compliment the watch beautifully.

Cheers,
    Awesome Vic, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Finally settled on this one for mine. A suitably period look. I'll post pukka pics when my new camera lands. :wink:

Master
    PRS-50 on one of Alistair`s ( ATG ) marine straps ,

Cheers,