closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have done it ? - well I did (PP 5167A content)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Not always the case! I just didn't know if it was a design requirement.

Guess it wrist shape dependant but with me a clasp centred dead opposite to the watch head is off centre on the underside of my wrist!

As I rule I need 1-2 links more on the 12 o'clock side to centre a clasp.
    I have 6 on one side and 8 on the other and the clasp sits just right, I too need more on the 12 o clock side.

Craftsman
    Great story Ken, congrats on the watch!

Master
    Looks very nice I just did not feel the watches worth when I tried it on my wrist however that is my feeling. I did something similar a few years ago to get a new DDII, no regrets except for the empty slots in the watch box:-)
    Last edited by shoppy; 13th August 2016 at 09:00.

Master
    as we are TZUK and not WUS, where any dissent from the general consensus (In the negative direction) is anathema and often results in a ban, I feel able to say here that I don't like that swap... But then i have always struggled with these watches. I feel that you have traded two high end watches in their brands, for the most basic entry level watch in a "higher" brand, in SS on a rubber strap.

That is not to say that I am blind to the quality, history and position of the PP brand, and I recognise that for the majority of watch fans, this would be a dream trade, but I just cannot see it myself.

On the plus side, for me, packaging and presentation is very important, and few do it better than the PP package. Although I bet that Snoopy had a nice box and set?

Obviously, none of this is to detract from the enjoyment of your trade Ken - it is merely one mans opinion to counter the others here. Enjoy, and at the very least let's see some photos of the display back - PP do lovely internals always worth a photo!

Banned
    Negative comments are welcome, if reasoned points are made and Adrian, I’d say you’ve done that.

What I would say is the often stock comment regarding letting lower priced watches go for ‘entry level’ is what surely we all do - trading up, watches, houses, cars etc - it’s not a bad thing at all. I tired of choosing between a selection of mid-range pieces, so did a similar thing to the OP. I also didn’t stop the hobby, just fiddles with cheaper stuff, as I’d committed heavily to the main watch.

I also am an obsessive for full sets, but still, a nice watch box set doesn’t offer enjoyment day by day. Mine are safe in a cupboard, only likely to come out to sell the watch and show off the box set - bonkers.

Master
    The notion of an 'entry level' watch in a brand's range can itself sometimes be a bit paralysing. For a while I was reluctant to buy an Exp-II (40mm) because of the notion out there that it was the entry level sports Rolex, before resolving that I simply liked it most, so the fact that it was a bit cheaper than a Sub etc was simply a bonus. I must say I feel the same way about the Aquanaut relative to the Nautilus - even if it was the same price or more I'd like it more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The notion of an 'entry level' watch in a brand's range can itself sometimes be a bit paralysing. For a while I was reluctant to buy an Exp-II (40mm) because of the notion out there that it was the entry level sports Rolex, before resolving that I simply liked it most, so the fact that it was a bit cheaper than a Sub etc was simply a bonus. I must say I feel the same way about the Aquanaut relative to the Nautilus - even if it was the same price or more I'd like it more.
    Yes, I can see the fault in my "upgrading to entry level" argument... especially as my only watch is an Exp II (42mm)! Though I have never considered its relative position - it's just the one I liked most and which suited my wear-it-for-everything attitude and lifestyle.

Master
    The question which troubles me is whether the whole notion of 'high end' is much more than a marketing strategy. As one example, are (say) Pateks really that special? Certainly, I don't personally find watches like the Nautilus very special at all. The price is used to 'validate' the watch.....it must be special if it costs that much.
    Same with, say, the Rolex range. The quality is the same from the cheapest to the most expensive. Does having extra features, or precious metal, really indicate a 'high end' watch?
    I don't know the answer, but I certainly don't believe there is a hierarchy based on price and marketing.for example, you could make a respectable case that the Explorer one is every bit as good a watch as a Patek; it depends on what aspects of a watch you most value. For instance, the Rolex is a lot tougher, how does that stack up against decoration of the movement? It is very personal, very subjective.

Master
    Your Patek is the one that I window shop more than any.

I would appreciate a photograph of the display back if it's not too much trouble.

Many congratulations on the trade by the way.

scooter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It is very personal
    Only to you.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The question which troubles me is whether the whole notion of 'high end' is much more than a marketing strategy. As one example, are (say) Pateks really that special? Certainly, I don't personally find watches like the Nautilus very special at all. The price is used to 'validate' the watch.....it must be special if it costs that much.
    Same with, say, the Rolex range. The quality is the same from the cheapest to the most expensive. Does having extra features, or precious metal, really indicate a 'high end' watch?
    I don't know the answer, but I certainly don't believe there is a hierarchy based on price and marketing.for example, you could make a respectable case that the Explorer one is every bit as good a watch as a Patek; it depends on what aspects of a watch you most value. For instance, the Rolex is a lot tougher, how does that stack up against decoration of the movement? It is very personal, very subjective.
    Bonkers

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    as we are TZUK and not WUS, where any dissent from the general consensus (In the negative direction) is anathema and often results in a ban, I feel able to say here that I don't like that swap... But then i have always struggled with these watches. I feel that you have traded two high end watches in their brands, for the most basic entry level watch in a "higher" brand, in SS on a rubber strap.

That is not to say that I am blind to the quality, history and position of the PP brand, and I recognise that for the majority of watch fans, this would be a dream trade, but I just cannot see it myself.

On the plus side, for me, packaging and presentation is very important, and few do it better than the PP package. Although I bet that Snoopy had a nice box and set?

Obviously, none of this is to detract from the enjoyment of your trade Ken - it is merely one mans opinion to counter the others here. Enjoy, and at the very least let's see some photos of the display back - PP do lovely internals always worth a photo!
    I guess I might have posted something like this a couple of years ago. In fact, I think I remember a thread about the Aquanaut that LTF had acquired where I made some critical comments about the Aquanaut and the tropical strap. At that stage I had not tried one on but had tried the 5164 travel time version which was nice but spoiled (IMHO) by the date sub-dial which breaks up the dial pattern. Anyhow a couple of months after trying the 5164 on, the PP AD phoned to let me know that they had a 5167 for me to try. I went with the intention of trying it on but once I saw the watch and tried it on things changed. The 5167 is (IMHO) probably one of the best watches PP make even more so when you consider that it is one of their less expensive models. Sometimes less is more and the 5167 is a good example of this.

Until you hit crazy money, the Aquanaut and Nautilus are my favourite Pateks - in the American way my favourite Rolex watches are from the professional series - they are close to the cheapest, but they just bloody well look better to me :)

great result, given the forum members didn't want the relative bargain trade put forward and you got what you wanted plus cash :)

im still very pleased with my 5711 - I love it more all the time
    It's just a matter of time...

Well done Ken :-)

As Ash5 has said... Let's have a movement shot with your new macro lens, might disprove some who say it's all marketing and Patek don't appeal
    Last edited by TimeOut; 13th August 2016 at 10:56.

I am back from Boodles, strap adjusted and no charge. They took the view that as a Patek owner they wanted to look after me. A very pleasurable experience and great to chat to a guy who was a total enthusiast.

A few photos of the goodies in store:

The first is blue and white dial ladies Nautilus. In stock and available to buy today for that special lady in your life...

image upload

The next is rather special - a rose gold 5711. Very much a case of look with your eyes only. The new owner has been waiting several years and has been invited to come and collect.

screen shot windows

The next one is so special that the staff are not even allowed to touch it.

images upload

Next is a tray full of PP treasures including my Aquanaut.

image hosting no register

Finally a pair of moonphase examples - also in stock and available to buy.

upload photo

The guy wanted to know the ins and outs of my deal and thought that I had done really well. Despite the Aquanaut being an 'entry level' watch and a Nautilus wannabe - having mine next to those other watches above - I prefer mine. All boils down to personal choice I guess.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 13th August 2016 at 12:53.

Re: The guy wanted to know the ins and outs of my deal and thought that I had done really well. Despite the Aquanaut being an 'entry level' watch and a Nautilus wannabe - having mine next to those other watches above - I prefer mine. All boils down to personal choice I guess.

Totally agree. First of all nothing wrong with an entry level PP. Sometimes these 'entry level' watches are the most practical and satisfying. It is a matter of personal choice. Give me an Aquanaut over a 5711 any day and twice on Sunday.
    5711 is a forum favorite and a lovely watch but it leaves me wanting more and prefer the ones with complications or in precious metal. OTOH, the Aquanaut is like a Sub - a complete watch on its own and something Inwould wear far more often than a 5711 It doesn't mean it is a better watch than 5711 but just a personal choice.
    So, IMO you made the perfect choice and enjoy the watch.
    I can appreciate where Ach is coming from and it is good that we all think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Totally agree. First of all nothing wrong with an entry level PP. Sometimes these 'entry level' watches are the most practical and satisfying. It is a matter of personal choice. Give me an Aquanaut over a 5711 any day and twice on Sunday.
    5711 is a forum favorite and a lovely watch but it leaves me wanting more and prefer the ones with complications or in precious metal. OTOH, the Aquanaut is like a Sub - a complete watch on its own and something Inwould wear far more often than a 5711 It doesn't mean it is a better watch than 5711 but just a personal choice.
    I can appreciate where Ach is coming from and it is good that we all think differently.
    Thanks Raj, I just don't get the entry level stuff based on price, does that mean a Sub is a poor mans SD and a SD is somehow less than a Daytona - of course not, they are very different watches and it just so happens that the cheapest in that list is the watch with most history and probably the most supporters and owners.

Some movement images as requested:

img host

image hosting free

image url upload

gif image hosting

uploading pictures

Master
    Beautiful watch and a new grail for me. I may need to talk my daughter out of getting married ;)

Well done on the deal, congratulations :)

cheers

Alan

5167 in the window of 2 AD today in London (New Bond St) so I guess they are still available.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    5167 in the window of 2 AD today in London (New Bond St) so I guess they are still available.

What are they now just under £14,000?

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    What are they now just under £14,000?
    I think they're now £13750 on rubber, although I'm trying to get confirmation of that as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re: The guy wanted to know the ins and outs of my deal and thought that I had done really well. Despite the Aquanaut being an 'entry level' watch and a Nautilus wannabe - having mine next to those other watches above - I prefer mine. All boils down to personal choice I guess.

AND they house the same movement!

Master
    Great looking watch, congrats. Nothing 'entry level' about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Many thanks for following up with the movement photographs.

Much appreciated.

scooter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

They must have sold quickly! Couldn't see any when I just walked down it. Meh

Master
    Nice one Ken, glad the swap worked out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think they're now £13750 on rubber, although I'm trying to get confirmation of that as we speak.
    Yeah just been informed that is the current MRSP after the price rise on the 1/8.

With my current list of wants just being under or over the 10k mark this 10% hike which no doubt will roll out over all brands is going to hurt :(

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    They must have sold quickly! Couldn't see any when I just walked down it. Meh
    WOS and Wempe? They were in the window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Excellent, really glad you got an Aquanaut, it's a fantastic watch. Unfortunately, I may end up selling mine Ken as I'm trying to start with a new business and it will require plenty of funds. If this wasn't all happening, the PP would definitely be a keeper; any watch that lasts a couple of months with me stays for a long while, and that's not many of them as most on here will know

Enjoy the new purchase, genuinely one of the best watches money can buy IMO.

I had never really seen one of these before - I really do like the clear lines (ie NOT plain!) and balanced look of the watch. And those movement photos!! Nice quality pictures, and even nicer quality finish to the movement.

Unfortunately I cannot see myself ever affording a PP if that is the base price - unless I have an entirely unforeseen multi-million inheritance to come!

The best part though is the clear pleasure you have in your acquisition. Enjoy!

and I really am not at all jealous, nope not at all....

Craftsman
    Think your traded-in Daytona has just been listed by Watchfinder. Interesting price!

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Think your traded-in Daytona has just been listed by Watchfinder. Interesting price!
    Yes I saw that. Personally I think it is a poor listing. It fails to make mention of the rare Mark 1 floating dial and the 200 unit bezel. Perhaps they are relying on people knowing what it is, but if you had a meters first Submariner or an early DRSD and you were selling wouldn't you make a big noise about how rare and special it was.

Price wise, I thought they might have pitched it a little higher. At the end of the day there isn't another Mark 1 dial Daytona for sale in the UK at this time.

No longer my problem though...

Banned
    You got a nice watch, but I would you not rather have one on a steel bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    You got a nice watch, but I would you not rather have one on a steel bracelet?
    I had posted a question on a PP thread in advance of doing anything about the SS bracelet and the advice was that the rubber strap was iconic and the way to go, the pattern in the rubber strap was a perfect match for the dial face. I was advised this morning that I could buy a SS bracelet that was inter-changeable with the rubber strap, but the price was £2,500.00.

Even chatting to the AD today, they confirmed - no choice, go rubber. I appreciated that may seem strange to some, but when you wear the watch you totally get it.

Craftsman
    The older aquanaut bracelet had little square sections to try and mirror the tropical strap. Not sure if they fit the latest version but you could try and source one of those

Ps - IMHO totally agree the tropical is the way to go
    Last edited by crooky13; 14th August 2016 at 00:30. Reason: Typo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Even chatting to the AD today, they confirmed - no choice, go rubber. I appreciated that may seem strange to some, but when you wear the watch you totally get it.
    Ok, thanks, I will take your word for it congratulations.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great choice. Imminent twins has put paid to my designs on one for the immediate future but one day...

I had posted a question on a PP thread in advance of doing anything about the SS bracelet and the advice was that the rubber strap was iconic and the way to go, the pattern in the rubber strap was a perfect match for the dial face. I was advised this morning that I could buy a SS bracelet that was inter-changeable with the rubber strap, but the price was £2,500.00.

It's the only watch on a rubber strap (that I own, have owned of am familiar with, at least) that I could happily wear with a dinner suit - it would still look magnificent.

As an aside, I bought a spare rubber for mine, and it was £180; not cheap, but when you think what you'd pay for an Omega or similar equivalent, not so shocking either. And, of course, it's the best rubber strap you'll ever see.

Blog Entries
    Great move OP and the 5167a is my all time fav and what I really aspire to.

Like you I could move some of my collection on and one could easily be in my sights but I just cannot let the PAM, JLC, IWC and a couple of Rolex's go to do this......yet......

Did you find out list Tony??

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

Like you I could move some of my collection on and one could easily be in my sights but I just cannot let the PAM, JLC, IWC and a couple of Rolex's go to do this......yet......

Did you find out list Tony??

Paul

They are now £13,750 as confirmed by a PP AD yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

I suppose another way to think of it, unless those other watches are not easilly replaceable, you could do just that - sell enough to get the 5167a and then in slower time replace the ones that you miss the most.

Rather than part exchange, list a few watches on SC and then try and track a 5167a down, although Ryan suggested that he saw a couple in Central London. My AD suggested a 12 month waiting list, which is a lot better than the struggle facing would be Nautilus buyers.

Master
    I think that you have ended up with a great result without any buyers remorse.

I love the 5167a after Wayne's review and although i may never own one it is on my list to try and achieve.

I did a similar thing but on a smaller scale and sold a number of watches to purchase a Rolex 216570 Polar and like you it was the best thing i ever did.

Any purchase now will be under £500 apart from the PP if funds ever allow it.

Enjoy for many years to come.

Mark

I think that is a great deal Ken. I am coming more and more around to this idea. I have built up a bit of a collection now but if I am honest there are 3 or 4 watches that I hardly wear so I was thinking seriously about consolidating slightly and reducing to 2 or 3 watches. This is of course hard to do and we all see the "just 3 watches" threads which makes me realise how hard it is. Suffice to say the PP 5167a is definitely one of the watches I would want to upgrade to.

Just seen this Ken - congrats on the deal. As a deal I think it was good and you had 2 more than interesting watches for Watchfinder to be interested in. The theory on trading up is probably something we all need to understand as well as it's the best way to 'climb up' the ladder. You'll find more than enough fascinating watches in the 'lower end'. In many ways, now you've got a 'grail' there won't be much that really does it for you until you climb further up!

The aquanaut is probably the more practical wearer vs the nautilus. Personally my favourite aquanaut is the dual time - lovely thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im not up to date on the values of those watches Ken but in terms of preference and looks I would have done that trade 100%.

Im not really a fan of TT Daytona's but I certainly don't like that dial at all whatsoever. Never owned a Speedmaster but certainly don't like the Snoopy branding.

I would have consolidated those 2 for the PP for sure!!!!! Congrats!

Craftsman
    Whilst I'm not personally a fan of the yellow gold look of the Daytona, I do love the look of the Snoopy and have a soft spot for Speedmasters generally. Regarding your original question, a resounding yes from me. Love the look of the 5167A, the dial really appeals to me, and the rubber bracelet may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I think as a package it works wonderfully well. The acid test is obviously how it feels on 'your' wrist as you're the one who has shelled out the money to cut the deal, and ultimately if you like it, nothing else matters. Well done I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Personally my favourite aquanaut is the dual time - lovely thing.
    I think that would be my grail watch. (I'm not sure the question applies if the Aquanaut itself has been sighted in AD windows and is therefore not so hard to find, but I wonder if the 5164a is any rarer.)

The theory on trading up is probably something we all need to understand as well as it's the best way to 'climb up' the ladder. You'll find more than enough fascinating watches in the 'lower end'. In many ways, now you've got a 'grail' there won't be much that really does it for you until you climb further up.
    I think you are wrong here about the need to keep climbing up. I have absolutely no desire to try and 'improve' on my PP watch, be it price or desirability.

I did say in my original posting that I am looking forward to rebuilding my collection of lower value every day watches. On Saturday night I bought a CWC automatic diver from SC. Having owned two Quartz versions I really wanted to try out the automatic. I am a big fan of Steinhart watches and I am seriously looking to replace my Orient Mako Blue, which is a £100 watch.

I have the Aquanaut and now my intention is to return to the ranks and put £10 or £20 a week away into the watch fund, then when I have £200 to £300 I will either start looking or do a WTB. I will not be buying a four figure sum watch anytime soon. I have moaned on these threads about not finding contentment, but so far the Aquanaut is delivering that, it is a superb all round watch.

I think you are wrong here about the need to keep climbing up. I have absolutely no desire to try and 'improve' on my PP watch, be it price or desirability.

I did say in my original posting that I am looking forward to rebuilding my collection of lower value every day watches. On Saturday night I bought a CWC automatic diver from SC. Having owned two Quartz versions I really wanted to try out the automatic. I am a big fan of Steinhart watches and I am seriously looking to replace my Orient Mako Blue, which is a £100 watch.

I have the Aquanaut and now my intention is to return to the ranks and put £10 or £20 a week away into the watch fund, then when I have £200 to £300 I will either start looking or do a WTB. I will not be buying a four figure sum watch anytime soon. I have moaned on these threads about not finding contentment, but so far the Aquanaut is delivering that, it is a superb all round watch.
    Fair point there is no need to 'climb' further - WIS contentment may have been reached

Master
    Fair point there is no need to 'climb' further - WIS contentment may have been reached
    WIS nirvana is an utopia. We'll see...