closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suicide Squad - thoughts? No spoilers please

Suicide Squad - thoughts? No spoilers please

I'm toying with seeing it as the cast and trailer looked good

I'm hearing it's not "all that"

Do I wait for it on Kodi or is it a ten spot well spent?

Thoughts??

I won't do 3D due to eye problems

Master
    Critics say it's dire, but my 18 year old daughter and her boyfriend raved about it. So it's probably awful.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really didn't enjoy it. I'm normally a good client for Marvel/DC films and can forgive plot holes and bad dialogue for a couple of hours of escapist nonsense, but Suicide Squad is just not good on any level - the stories (yes there are several plotlines running) are confused and daft, the characters are not engaging, Will Smith is dire - although it must be said we are spared the talentless members of his immediate family who usually pollute his films these days, Joel the bloke from House of Cards is a wooden as a Magnum stick and Cara Delavingne should have stuck to flogging Tag Heuers.

Another thing I noticed, which also happens in Batman vs Superman, and is perhaps becoming a trend - is the appearance of a huge, random scary monster. I wonder if it is for the PS/X-Box gameplaying generation who are accustomed to the sudden appearance of huge, random scary monsters and perhaps feel cheated if there isn't one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I'm toying with seeing it as the cast and trailer looked good

I'm hearing it's not "all that"
    Same here. I saw an ad for a watch with its box that looked good. Then I heard it wasn't "all that".
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I don't do the cinema experience very often ie not been since Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but I really fancy seeing this on the big screen.

Craftsman
    Both my fiancé and I enjoyed it and she isn't normally a fan of these types of movie (we take it in turns to pick cinema movies).

I enjoyed it for what it is, an action comic book movie. I never expected the best quality plot/script/acting but it was a good watch and worth the cinema visit.

To the OP, I also watched in 2D, I do not enjoy 3D

We all liked it
    Ranging from 16 through to 47, males and females.
    It had some ropey bits for sure...but it was cool and fun. Hardly a serious movie but...hey ho.

Master
    I dozed of a few times, it was alright but nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I dozed of a few times, it was alright but nothing to write home about.
    That's what my Mrs said about our first night together
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I walked into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I walked into that one.
    That's also what my Mrs said about our first night together
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Bad Points - poor plot, some poor acting, plot linking not good, some of the characters you have to ask why are they there. Leto suffered as not able to match Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Good points - Margot Robbie in these shorts She had some good lines as well.

I actually quite enjoyed it but the ending seemed a bit as if they'd run out of ideas.

I've long since stopped expecting superhero movies to be anything other than a string of action set-pieces, with a bit of exposition in-between. The last one I really enjoyed was Watchmen - that was certainly several steps more complex than the ususal tat. I find a lot of the Avengers/Thor/Captain America etc stuff pretty tedious.

Suicide Squad wasn't bad though, being "baddies" avoided the usual "boy-scout" or "darkly-troubled (in a totally cliched way)" personas that superheros tend to be given.

Plus it's very difficult to take your eyes off Margot Robbie.

Blog Entries
    It was crap in a nutshell . With the usual ending the world monster that they all fight. Joker was toned down and just that a joke . Like Jim Carey and a bad Heath ledger impression .
    I actually think margot Robbie stole the show
    In fact the twisted relationship between Harley and joker was my only interest in the whole film

Journeyman
    Shit movie. I expected to be much better but i was really disappointed after going out from the cinema... Best/funny characters are Harley Quinn and Joker...Besides they deleted a lot of scenes for the cinema version...

Master
    I expected it to be dire.
    It was even worse than that.
    A waste of time as well as money for me

Alex

I had low expectations and it was worse than I imagined. The plot was awful, the production design pretty bad, and the usual Zack Snyder attempts at direction. Overall a dogs dinner of a film that could have been far better...it feels like they started to shoot one film, some studio execs stepped in and they ended up editing /shooting something altogether different.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    I had low expectations and it was worse than I imagined. The plot was awful, the production design pretty bad, and the usual Zack Snyder attempts at direction. Overall a dogs dinner of a film that could have been far better...it feels like they started to shoot one film, some studio execs stepped in and they ended up editing /shooting something altogether different.
    I think you're spot on there Geoff. Judging by the shoddy first 20/30mins intro which was interspersed randomly with back-story introductions, i'd say it was a good idea until some studio bigwigs with no editing experience waded in. The principle of the film was good, the end result was not. Sad times.

Watched it yesterday with the wife because the timing wasn't right for the Borne film. For thumb up arse type thing it's right up there at average. Could I tell you anything about it apart from some birds arse in some shiny pants? No not really. If you're that bothered about the tenner watch it on kodi, bully in some cancer inducing microwave popcorn and enjoy.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Saw it last night with my 15 year old son - and just like all the recent batch of 'superhero' movies it was a hugely derivative, plotless childish mess.
    However, 'Harley Quinn' looked tremendously dirty in her hot pants, and my son and I both agreed this alone made up for the rest of the movie. Well, almost!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Well I enjoyed it. Turn your brain off and watch it for what it is..,guns,explosions,monsters,daft plot lines,comic book plot lines,Margot Robbie in hot pants,nonsensical set pieces etc etc. It's not Shakespeare so don't go and watch it and expect to be treated to a masterclass in acting.
    And did I mention the hot pants?

Smile

As a 68 year-old avid film-goer, my expectations were very low when my two twenty-ish sons took me to see it. I was very pleasantly surprised to find it entertaining throughout. But, just like watching a Superman or Batman movie, you must check your common sense with the ticket taker!

Saw it in 3dx at a Vue cinema, I enjoyed it as a bit of brain out action, probably as I wasn't expecting much from the reviews.

Harley Quinn definitely stole the show  Even though the joker was bad, I didn't mind, as he's a side character, and to me it showed a bit of respect for the actors who have played him before.

Enjoyed the sound track too 

Me and my son enjoyed it

It appeared on my download widget last night so watched it -

I don't really get the various overlaps which might be because we don't have a cinema so miss a lot of films.
    So Superman is dead ? How did that happen - did I miss a film? ( yep just googled that - missed Batman v Superman )

Batman is still around but doesn't travel well or play well with others ?
    But we need Suicide Squad - what were Justice League doing when all this was kicking off ?

Meta humans - so a bit like mutants from X-Men. But only Killer Croc and El Diabolo as actually meta in the Squad - the rest are just really good at what they do or nuts.

On the film itself I enjoyed Deadshot and Harley Quinn. When El Diabolo used his powers he was interesting but otherwise just dragging along behind.
    The others well who needs an ace bank robber when there is nothing to break into?
    Joker had potential but his appearance in this movie was pure McGuffin.

As for Cara Delevigne she could be replaced by a plank of wood with a pair of eyebrows drawn on it.

On balance my enjoyment of the movie was all based on Harley Quinn - not just her hot pants but but the whole batshit crazy persona.

As Forest would say that's all I have to say about that.

The bank robber blokey was just there so they could blow his head of to demonstrate the gizmo implanted in each of them,but not lose an interesting character.

Wasn't the Digger character the bank robber - not sure who the other guy was - did we get a back story. Just pop up here moan a bit then fall for the whole "I'll run if you will" trick to see if your head will explode

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Wasn't the Digger character the bank robber - not sure who the other guy was - did we get a back story. Just pop up here moan a bit then fall for the whole "I'll run if you will" trick to see if your head will explode
    Ah yeah..you're right. I was thinking of that pointless bloke with the grapple gun thingy.

Not the best film I've ever seen, but I liked it.

Craftsman
    I'm a big comic book and spin off movie fan but this was dire.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    I'm a big comic book and spin off movie fan but this was dire.
    Are there restrictions on seeing films like this in Saudi would you get edited versions or do you see them when travelling?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The bank robber blokey was just there so they could blow his head of to demonstrate the gizmo implanted in each of them,but not lose an interesting character.

So much for no spoilers, I knew reading this thread would be a mistake. Ah well, at least it wasn't a biggie I presume?

It's been out for so long it didn't even register as a spoiler. However,it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the film.