closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy ebooks from...?

Master

Where to buy ebooks from...?

....and I DON'T mean Amazon (Kindle).

From some brief look around I'm amazed to see the prices for online ebooks to be at least as much as the paper back version and sometimes costing more! I've just purchased 2 paper backs from Amazon for £4.05 each - the Kindle version was six quid! Okay I didn't want the kindle version but, seriously, two quid more than the print version?

So anyway is there a descent online seller for ebooks? I mean one with a good choice and sensible prices.

Thanks.

The only one I have is the 300-page Jack Heuer biography as PDF.
    It's free, and worth a read.
    http://www.tagheuer.co.uk/uploads/fo...2fcebb11ab.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    .From some brief look around I'm amazed to see the prices for online ebooks to be at least as much as the paper back version and sometimes costing more! I've just purchased 2 paper backs from Amazon for £4.05 each - the Kindle version was six quid! Okay I didn't want the kindle version but, seriously, two quid more than the print version?
    Only a tiny percentage of the cost of (paper) book production is in the printing/distribution of the physical book, so an ebook costs almost as much to produce as a paper book.

And ebooks attract 20% VAT, whereas paper books do not.

Master
    google is your friend - there are a lot of classics that are free.

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Only a tiny percentage of the cost of (paper) book production is in the printing/distribution of the physical book, so an ebook costs almost as much to produce as a paper book.

And ebooks attract 20% VAT, whereas paper books do not.
    Didn't know about the vat... still 50% more for the ebook version? Even if it costs the same to produce as the paper version then it still shouldn't cost 50% MORE for the ebook version. It must be less work for the seller as well.

Master
    Supply and demand. Prices are rarely linked to the cost of manufacturer (on a watch forum we should all know this!).

I'd imagine there is more demand for the ebook therefore they can charge more. Or looking at it another way, there is a cost in buying/storing physical books and maybe they've reduced the price to clear and create more space.

I know it seems weird, but if you value the convenience of an ebook more then you'll pay the extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i use an internet site called TUEBL and you can get thousands of epub books free.
    i have used it for a couple of years and it is great. give it a try

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    google is your friend - there are a lot of classics that are free.

B
    I've used Gutenberg and similar sites to download loads of classics, old and obscure books and academic papers. Obviously not much use if you're after a recent release, but there's some good stuff available, if you're prepared to put up with some OCR glitches in the case of old, scanned books.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by allaninspain View Post
    i use an internet site called TUEBL and you can get thousands of epub books free.
    i have used it for a couple of years and it is great. give it a try
    I found TUEBL... I admit it took a few trys because google kept on showing links for a bike site! Finally, via another route, I ended up at... guess what.... ebook.bike! Well that was confusing. Did a search for a few authors I read and I did get a couple of books I don't currently have. Obviously, with only 6K books in their library, it's going to be a bit hit and miss but thanks for that; it saved a tenner buying them :-)

You've actually answered your own question.

Amazon.

No one else offers the selection nor the convenience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    You've actually answered your own question.

Amazon.

No one else offers the selection nor the convenience.
    Well no really. I don't want Kindle. I want generic epub so it can be viewed on ANY ereader platform.

Well no really. I don't want Kindle. I want generic epub so it can be viewed on ANY ereader platform.
    Then you'll have to go a-hunting and accept a poorer selection/more hassle. What's your time worth?

Hard to think of a platform that doesn't have a Kindle app. That's another plus. Read across multiple devices and progress automatically synced between them.

Amazon almost invariably reduces Kindle edition prices over time, so I add the titles I want to a wish list and wait for the prices to fall. The list keeps track of price drops on each title - several currently on my list are now at half the price they were when I added them - and as I start to run short of reading material, I go to the wish list, sort it by price, and download the cheapest half-dozen or so.

Probably not the absolute rock-bottom cheapest way to do it, but as others have said, you can’t really beat Amazon / Kindle for glitch-free choice and convenience, and I always pay less than the price of the equivalent paperback.

Master
    Why not? Kindles are really good. Just use Calibre. Get ebooks in whatever format you want and use Calibre to manage and convert them. It will also send to your free kindle account so they will appear on your Kindle automatically. I have shed loads of books on my Kindle that started as ePub and have hardly bought any ebooks actually from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I have shed loads of books on my Kindle that started as ePub and have hardly bought any ebooks actually from Amazon.
    Where did you buy them?

Master
    Okay... I dislike Amazon as a company. They have swindled and fiddled every company and tax practice they can to screw the customer and supplier (BTDT). You know for years they had price fixing on their site so any seller that tried to sell cheaper was banned? Eventually sellers (our company was one of the ones that started the ball rolling), through complaints to trading standards, forced Amazon to stop this illegal practice. Doesn't alter the fact that it was going on for years! Ditto VAT... another Amazon fiddle. We once phoned them with a VAT enquiry and the reply was 'oh we don't do VAT' - what? Amazon are now having to tow the line more ref. VAT. Amazon are not a nice company so I'll resist Kindle... there are just as good ereaders available that don't have Amazon written on them like Barnes & Noble or Kobo for readers and books. I was just wondering if there was somewhere where, for the books I want to buy, I don't have to pay more than the print version. It doesn't look there is :-(