closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you last have spam?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'll see your Torchy and raise you a Twizzle.......
    I don't remember Twizzle, although Footso the cat is vaguely familiar. I don't think we had a telly until around 1960.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Nah. I was on 10 Woodbines a day by the time Joe 90 arrived. Never watched it.
    Clangers + cannabis combination -dialogue then made perfect sense!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Is that because no-ones eaten today's stock? ;-)
    Chap behind me asked for the same but has his bread toasted. The first item on the breakfast menu on the wall is Spam! Might go for brown sauce in the morning.
    Its a proper cafe, you get to read the Sun as well....................

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Spam.html

Actually better than I thought it would be .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meat that comes from a can
    It was put there by a man
    In a factory downtown
    ♩♪ ♫ ♪

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve already made it clear I`m a big Spam fan, but mention of PEK has got me thinking back to my childhood when we ate quite a lot of this stuff. I`d like to try a can now just for old times sake! We had it for tea on Sunday afternoons, followed by carnation condensed milk with jelly and either tinned peaches or pears. I recall having tinned mardarin oranges as a change and gipping them back up within an hour!

Happy days.

Paul
    Pek. A name from the past. I seem to recall it was made in Poland?

We always had a salad and Pek luncheon meat (no posh Spam) for Sunday tea with the addition of a French Jam Sandwich cake.

I much preferred the shrimps and winkles prior though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Don't forget Footso - Twizzle's feline friend
    And Jiffy the broomstick man!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Always have a tin or two in the cupboard, not for human consumption mind you, they live in the fishing bait cupboard along with jolly green giant corn, chick peas and peperami's. Carp and Barbel both love a bit of spam. Though i have been known to munch on a few cubes whilst fishing.

Brighty

I attend military exercises. There's a lot of spam being rotated in and out of the readiness stores. So, I do eat spam(like substance without the actual branding) quite often.

It tastes better than the survival course stuff.

My mother passed away last year after many months of illness (she was 86, bless her).

Whilst clearing out the kitchen cupboards we found a tin of Spam, which expired in 2013.
    I took it home, planning to give it to Hooverhead (the ever-hungry mastiff).

Upon opening the tin, it looked and smelt fine, so I tried a small piece - delicious.

Sliced thickly onto half a baguette with tomato chutney, it was a lunch which stil brings back good memories.

Spam, the gift that keeps on giving - well beyond the best before date :)
    Last edited by W124; 19th August 2016 at 11:52. Reason: Mother now in past tense !

2013 is nothing. Canning as a process is amazing. On a TV programme last week they opened a tin of pilchards from 1948. They looked perfect. Nobody was willing to try them but they had them tested. Not one bug: they were entirely edible. The only downside to canning is that it changes the texture of the food, and the superheating overcooks most veg, but the nutrients are often better than veg you buy 'fresh' in the supermarket that has lain on shelves for days. Veg in cans goes from the field to the can in hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    2013 is nothing. Canning as a process is amazing. On a TV programme last week they opened a tin of pilchards from 1948. They looked perfect. Nobody was willing to try them but they had them tested. Not one bug: they were entirely edible. The only downside to canning is that it changes the texture of the food, and the superheating overcooks most veg, but the nutrients are often better than veg you buy 'fresh' in the supermarket that has lain on shelves for days. Veg in cans goes from the field to the can in hours.
    Yes, this is true of tinned fruit as well, which typically tastes OK. The only issue is that they tend to fill the rest of the can up with sugar water, but it can still be counted towards your "5 a day".

You also get this effect with frozen and often it's not as badly affected. For the most part, frozen peas for example, are at least as good as fresh ones. Can't say the same for tinned peas.

The downside is that frozen vegetables generally aren't so great if you defrost them to eat raw (although I've been doing this with soya beans lately and they aren't bad - try finding fresh edamame in the supermarket). For most vegetables, especially ones like carrots and peppers, cooking them increases the bioavailability of their nutrients, so you're better off eating them cooked anyway. The only way this is not true is if you over-boil them since this leeches out a lot of the nutrients, so for the best results, roasted from frozen is the way to go.

Or perhaps I should say, for best results, roasted and served with high quality, locally sourced, organic free-range spam!